Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storybricks joins EQNext

evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Just saw the news that Storybricks is getting involved in EQNext. This is very exciting news :)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/23/storybricks-team-announces-everquest-next-collaboration/

For those of you that are wondering what Storybricks is....

"Storybricks is an AI initiative that aims to upgrade the capabilities of game NPCs. Namaste "designed and built an emotional intelligence engine in order to breathe life into virtual characters. They have their own goals and moods; they interact among themselves and take decisions on their own. The story no longer revolves solely around scripted behavior; game worlds can now be rich and complex.""

It has been developed by a former Meridian 59 dev - Brian Green.

Looking forward to seeing some unique AI introduced into MMOs at long last!

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by evilastro

Just saw the news that Storybricks is getting involved in EQNext. This is very exciting news :)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/23/storybricks-team-announces-everquest-next-collaboration/

For those of you that are wondering what Storybricks is....

"Storybricks is an AI initiative that aims to upgrade the capabilities of game NPCs. Namaste "designed and built an emotional intelligence engine in order to breathe life into virtual characters. They have their own goals and moods; they interact among themselves and take decisions on their own. The story no longer revolves solely around scripted behavior; game worlds can now be rich and complex.""

It has been developed by a former Meridian 59 dev - Brian Green.

Looking forward to seeing some unique AI introduced into MMOs at long last!

They need a like button. This is pretty awesome. 

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Good news indeed.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    It is also heartening to see SoE outsource when needed. Shows some humility and vision.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    So is this a simmilar thing to Bethesdas radiant ai?

Or something even more advanced?
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

This could be a nice addition, but I want to see a move back to less instances, more open content/dungeons, and if everyone is doing instanced created content (unless it is open content), then this could be a direction I am not going to be too thrilled with...It would be like a open RvR game, and everyone is doing PvP/RvR instances, and no one is in the open world doing PvP/RvR....

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I think they already did a pretty good job with EverQuest 2 tho.

Was quite groundbreaking with NPC's walking around in Qeynos/Freeport, stopping in front of you and start a conversation and/or that could leave to the start of an eventual quest.

Or military patrols walking around, saluting to you.

And all these were fully voice over as well.

Not many MMOs after that have ever bothered to match that. Sadly.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

I think we may have to wait until August to find out, I dont think there have been any released games with this technology yet. At any rate, its certainly the first MMO to attempt to make NPCs autonomous.

Originally posted by JeroKane

I think they already did a pretty good job with EverQuest 2 tho.

Was quite groundbreaking with NPC's walking around in Qeynos/Freeport, stopping in front of you and start a conversation and/or that could leave to the start of an eventual quest.

Or military patrols walking around, saluting to you.

And all these were fully voice over as well.

Not many MMOs after that have ever bothered to match that. Sadly.

Yeah I loved that too. Surprisingly the AI was the work of a single dev who took it on as a side project. When he left they kinda ruined the AI and had NPCs all clustered in certain spawn areas, it was terrible haha.  Then they removed them for good with the revamps to the city :(

Looks like they learnt from that though (SoE seem to be doing that a lot lately... shocking!) and will be focusing on it in EQNext.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Sounds great! EQ was my first MMO love after all.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Very nice news. Maybe EQNext can breath some life back into my MMO experience.
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    would think we already have seen abit of their work for SOE, through SOEmote, mind this isnt a new collabration, it is just now they are allowed to announce, that this is why they left the project, they had been working on
  • Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Help us EQ Next, you are our only hope.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    This news along with little comments they have made in interviews about building a world that feels alive and that truly is a world gives me a lot of hope.  Having npc's that do their own thing adds so much to the life like atmosphere of a game world, and with their decision to have no zoning in the game at all - that will help even more.  I think SWTOR was the first game that I literally could not play because it felt so much like a card board box that I was running through - so lifeless, static and stale.  I'm really excited for the possibllities here! 
  • mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

Do they have senses?

I want NPCs with sight, hearing, and maybe smell instead of a circle aggro radius... is that too much to ask?

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

sounds more advanced...but ofc let's wait and see the end result

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    I watched a tech demo on Story Bricks a few years ago and it looked pretty cool.  I wonder if this means that player created content is going to play a large role in the game?  EQ2 already does a fair amount of that although it's pretty meaninless because the motivation and rewards isn't there but people love to decorate their own homes and create dungeons.
  • Cylan1Cylan1 Member Posts: 18

They have been involved for months:

After several months of working together with Sony Online, we can finally reveal that we are collaborating on EverQuest Next. EQN is “the biggest sandbox ever designed” and we are extremely happy to be working on the most innovative MMORPG under development.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Cylan1

They have been involved for months:

After several months of working together with Sony Online, we can finally reveal that we are collaborating on EverQuest Next. EQN is “the biggest sandbox ever designed” and we are extremely happy to be working on the most innovative MMORPG under development.

It just makes me want to giggle like a little schoolgirl with anticipation.  I can only hope and pray they don't turn this into yet another action rpg.