Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age: Origins Worth Getting?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I somehow missed Dragon Age.  Is it worth playing??

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Yes. One of the best games I've played. part two is worth about $2.

If you can find the original for $5-10 you can't go wrong.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Absolutely:) This was the first BioWare game I played and from that time I am a Big Fan :)

Great game.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Dragon Age: Origins is the last half-decent thing BioWare has done.  I have alot of gripes with its game world & exploration, but overall, it did provide a decent RPG experience.

But, I must warn you, in the name of all that is good in gaming, DO NOT get Dragon Age 2.  You have been warned...

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Warmaker

Dragon Age: Origins is the last half-decent thing BioWare has done.  I have alot of gripes with its game world & exploration, but overall, it did provide a decent RPG experience.

But, I must warn you, in the name of all that is good in gaming, DO NOT get Dragon Age 2.  You have been warned...

How can you say that? The Mass Effect series was awesome. Other than the ending of the 3rd one, the entire series was loved by many. I can agree with you on Dragon Age 2 though......

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Yes, it is a solid RPG. Especially if you are a fan of games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. I would however say be wary of venturing into Dragon Age 2. Origins is the far superior of the two. 

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Yes, you should.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    In a word: absolutely
  • MageickMageick Member UncommonPosts: 102
    one of the best games I have ever played!
  • pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    for your money, get Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment. you can get the whole DnD collection for 20 bucks, which is how much Dragon Age cost me. it has Baldur'sGate 1, 2, Icewind Dale 1, 2, Planescape: torment, and i think Temple of Elemental Evil. dollar for dollar, thats the superior product. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Yep, it was BioWare's last great game, imo. 
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Vigg

Really depends on what you're into.

It's a really good game but VERY slow paced. If you don't mind having to frequently pause & micro-manage your group it can be a lot of fun. It's also a fairly LONG game.

I really enjoyed it the first time around, but it's one of those games (for me at least) that's difficult to get back into. It's hard to say why that is exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's to do with the overall pacing of the game.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

Yes! its on steam for like 7.50 

IT most def is worth every penny!

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    I actually played Dragon Age 2 before I got Dragon Age Origins and I still can't manage to get very far into Origins before getting bored. I loved Dragon Age 2 however.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks for all the replies!  I've played most of the old, turn-based Bioware games starting with Baldur's Gate.  I'll give DA:O a shot, too.
  • redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Warmaker

How can you say that? The Mass Effect series was awesome. Other than the ending of the 3rd one, the entire series was loved by many. I can agree with you on Dragon Age 2 though......

Dragon age 2 was a good game, dont listen to these tards! Play the game for yourself,  they are over exaggerating, the battle system was good, better than the one in Dragon age: Origins. The only problem was they re-used some of the environments which brought the value down a bit.  It was a solid game and I played it more than I did Dragon age: Origins. 

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    This is one of over 200 games at this point I have in my game library I have yet to play.  I own Dragon Age Origins as well as Dragon Age 2.  I think I played about 10 hours or so of Mass Effect and got bored,  Of course, I had to buy Mass Effect 2 even thought I didnt lke the original and will probably buy Mass Effect 3 on sale and not play it either, lol.  I did, however, like Baldur's Gate.  
  • redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Dragon Age 2 is a good game.
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

Yup. Awesome game. If you've played any D&D PC games in the past you'll love it. Last good game Bioware did.

DA2 was garbage.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320
    You can skip da2 for now and play original. 35 hours left on steam sale. all of the content for 7.50. alot of da2 hate stems from the fact that it felt like a step down from dao. combat may have felt better, but everything else felt worse.
  • BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

Origins is good, DA2 is a bit shit. 

I am seeing so many sequels where they try to streamline and improve gameplay and ruin everything that was fun about the earlier game: -

DA Origins > DA2

ME2> ME3

Fable 2 > Fable 3

Borderlands> Borderlands 2.  

And of course GW> GW2

I could go on... 

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

As an aside these Steam deals have been very good recently.  Picked up Witcher 2 for £6 on Monday,barginous!

As for DAO is one of the best storydriven RPGs I've ever played, with an interesting dark fantasy universe.  At this price you can't really go wrong.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565

It"s not bad but awfully overrated though.

Try Divinity 2 or Witcher 2 instead.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Very nice game and alot better then DA2
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

100+ hours that is just pure awesome.

DA:O is right up there for me. :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8

It"s not bad but awfully overrated though.

Try Divinity 2 or Witcher 2 instead.

Yeh but divinity2 and witcher 2 are solo one character games while you play DAO with a party of 3npc's with pause combat place stratigically your followers at spot you choose lus hillarious conversations between npcs MORRIGAN/OGREN for example.

Characters like morrigan and ogren are famous!

Divinity2 more open exploring world.

Witcher 2 same as DAO small follow path world

All 3 games have its charmes i like them all three equally.