Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Races and Their Presence

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Just wondering if a player rolls up a Nord, will they ever see a race from another faction outside of Cyrodiil?

Will NPCs outside of a specific faction be in "other faction" areas? Will Khajiit caravanners be stuck in Aldmeri Dominion lands? Will players see any NPC Bretons or Redguards in Skyrim?

If players see these NPCs outside of their faction lands, why do they get to break the alliances and not players?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Just wondering if a player rolls up a Nord, will they ever see a race from another faction outside of Cyrodiil?

Will NPCs outside of a specific faction be in "other faction" areas? Will Khajiit caravanners be stuck in Aldmeri Dominion lands? Will players see any NPC Bretons or Redguards in Skyrim?

If players see these NPCs outside of their faction lands, why do they get to break the alliances and not players?

Going by the leaked video from a week ago... In the first minute in the starter Bretton area, there is an Elf vendor and Khajiit gives you a quest. So yes.

I'm sure there will be a lot of "bad guys" from the other factions too and likely story lines related to the faction war in the PvE areas.

As to why do they get to "break the alliance" and not players. First thing that comes to mind is that they can control the numbers and keep them rare and/or hostile. It'd be much tougher to do that with player characters. But I'm also sure the vast majority of NPCs will be those native to the area. Just like in all TES games. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Iselin

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    Just wondering if a player rolls up a Nord, will they ever see a race from another faction outside of Cyrodiil?Will NPCs outside of a specific faction be in "other faction" areas? Will Khajiit caravanners be stuck in Aldmeri Dominion lands? Will players see any NPC Bretons or Redguards in Skyrim?If players see these NPCs outside of their faction lands, why do they get to break the alliances and not players?
    Going by the leaked video from a week ago... In the first minute in the starter Bretton area, there is an Elf vendor and Khajiit gives you a quest. So yes.I'm sure there will be a lot of "bad guys" from the other factions too and likely story lines related to the faction war in the PvE areas.As to why do they get to "break the alliance" and not players. First thing that comes to mind is that they can control the numbers and keep them rare and/or hostile. It'd be much tougher to do that with player characters. But I'm also sure the vast majority of NPCs will be those native to the area. Just like in all TES games. 
    That's a good point about them having possible quests. And a good spot about the video. I was not looking for that when I watched, and in truth, would not have known :)

However, in "other" TES games, merchants tended to be heavily represented by provinces not native to the setting. In Skyrim, many merchants were Dunmer, Imperials, or Bretons. A smattering of high elf magic merchants were present, too. In Morrowind, there really weren't a lot of Dunmer merchants compared to "other" races.

I was just curious how racial interaction will happen with NPCs and see if I can make sense of it.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR