Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not an MMO, But

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Minecraft is not an MMO. However, it's on this site, under the category of "MMO". I consider this more of a clerical error than anything, but whatever. It's here.

I've played on a Minecraft server with 150 concurrent players almost reliably. Aside from the total number of players, it was a really fun, open world, sandbox, ffa PvP MMORPG experience. :-) Now I'm running a Minecraft server modded with Feed the Beast for myself and some friends, which is a lot of fun, but I don't think a server exists that could run the Feed the Beast mods for 150 people.

So how about you? What's the closest you've gotten to the MMORPG experience playing Minecraft? What's the largest number of concurrent players you've been on a server with?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• TerrawenTerrawen Member UncommonPosts: 21

I agree that this is not an MMORPG. There are mods and plugins to make it MMOish, but it feels incorrect to call this an MMORPG because the base game is not.

The largest persistant server I played on was a tekkit lite server which had about 50 people playing at any given time. Some friends and I were interested in a more customized experience, so we recently started our own persistant server which has most of the mods in tekkit lite, like buildcraft, railcraft and factions, but we've removed equivalent exchange (because it makes the game quite dull) and added McMMO for the RPG-like progression. We're looking into adding Mo' Creatures as well. Our server has about 10 players, roughly 5 on at any given time.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

There are tons of MMOs on here that aren't actually MMOs.

Minecraft is more of an MMO than games like SWTOR and Dungeon Fighter and Marvel Heroes

• MirariMirariMirariMirari Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Actually Dungeon Fighter is an MMO

I really don't know what to put here.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by DavisFlight
    There are tons of MMOs on here that aren't actually MMOs.Minecraft is more of an MMO than games like SWTOR and Dungeon Fighter and Marvel Heroes

How the hell is minecraft more of an mmorpg than Swtor?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Nitth

Minecraft is more of an MMO than games like SWTOR and Dungeon Fighter and Marvel Heroes

you can see more other players on your screen in minecraft

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Originally posted by DavisFlight There are tons of MMOs on here that aren't actually MMOs.   Minecraft is more of an MMO than games like SWTOR and Dungeon Fighter and Marvel Heroes

How is that factually true? People can congregate in a zone in swtor, they just don't do it.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by DavisFlight There are tons of MMOs on here that aren't actually MMOs.   Minecraft is more of an MMO than games like SWTOR and Dungeon Fighter and Marvel Heroes

How is that factually true? People can congregate in a zone in swtor, they just don't do it.

no they cant the game actively works against having lots of people in the same area, they delibaretly have a heavily phased and instanced world so that you cant do that.  Because when you do your computer melts.

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by ShakyMo Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by DavisFlight There are tons of MMOs on here that aren't actually MMOs.   Minecraft is more of an MMO than games like SWTOR and Dungeon Fighter and Marvel Heroes
    no they cant the game actively works against having lots of people in the same area, they delibaretly have a heavily phased and instanced world so that you cant do that.  Because when you do your computer melts.

That still doesn't mean that it can't occur within a single zone.

Being non instanced is not a requirement for an mmorpg, Although we all like it.

That still doesn't mean that it can't occur within a single zone.

Being non instanced is not a requirement for an mmorpg, Although we all like it.

SWTOR splits off a separate instance when ever there are more than around a handful of players in a world zone.  so no you cant.

• brucey42085brucey42085 Member Posts: 4
    minecraft is as much of an mmo as any other game here. while you may not play on 200 player servers they do exist.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Terrawen
    I agree that this is not an MMORPG. There are mods and plugins to make it MMOish, but it feels incorrect to call this an MMORPG because the base game is not. The largest persistant server I played on was a tekkit lite server which had about 50 people playing at any given time. Some friends and I were interested in a more customized experience, so we recently started our own persistant server which has most of the mods in tekkit lite, like buildcraft, railcraft and factions, but we've removed equivalent exchange (because it makes the game quite dull) and added McMMO for the RPG-like progression. We're looking into adding Mo' Creatures as well. Our server has about 10 players, roughly 5 on at any given time.

I tried Mo Creatures with FTB and was killed by a wide assortment of mobs. All of the animals were forced to spawn very far away. The worst was the golem, which built itself out of the environment, including my house. It was interesting, but it was very difficult to really do anything.

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by ShakyMo Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by ShakyMo Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by DavisFlight There are tons of MMOs on here that aren't actually MMOs.   Minecraft is more of an MMO than games like SWTOR and Dungeon Fighter and Marvel Heroes
      That still doesn't mean that it can't occur within a single zone. Being non instanced is not a requirement for an mmorpg, Although we all like it.
    SWTOR splits off a separate instance when ever there are more than around a handful of players in a world zone.  so no you cant.

I've seen more people on the screen in SWToR without lag than I have on any Minecraft server. Minecraft is not built to efficiently do anything, but it's especially wasteful of network resources. Take a look at the amount of bandwidth required per player to run a stock Minecraft server, and you'll realize it's not built to scale up efficiently. Even SWToR with all its warts scales better than Minecraft for concurrent players.

For that matter, I've seen more people on the screen in pretty much any MMO that actually ran than in Minecraft. This might change after they rewrite the render code so that everything happens server side, but that hasn't happened yet.

Originally posted by brucey42085
    minecraft is as much of an mmo as any other game here. while you may not play on 200 player servers they do exist.

The thing to keep in mind is the number of player slots is the concurrent player limit. That's not the total number of players playing on the server. Especially if you consider the total number of players who have played on a long running server. It could easily number in the thousands of players.

I'm specifically interested in concurrent players though. With more concurrent players, you'll see more people in 'town' and run into more people out in the wilderness, giving the game more of an MMO feel. I was curious about other players' experiences.

• TheOtterTheOtter Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I've run a lot of MC servers. One of the early ones I ran had well over 100 players on at most times. That was a couple years ago and took a pretty expensive machine to run. Since then I've mostly done 20-50 mans. Recently, I've been working on a more MMO/ARPG-esque server with my crew. Minecraft cannot compare to real MMOs, it just isn't made to. Being on a server with 200 people isn't the same as being on a MMO. Being in a MC city doesn't have the same feeling as standing in Stormwind  - for example.

ive never seen 100 players on screen in swtor

#the most ive seen is in the pvp minigames, and thats like 30 players or something and makes the game lag like hell

ive never seen 100 players on screen in swtor #the most ive seen is in the pvp minigames, and thats like 30 players or something and makes the game lag like hell 

You've never seen 100 players on the screen at the same time in Minecraft either. Not without the game turning into a slideshow. You would be lucky to see thirty people on the screen in Minecraft without some serious issues.

I have seen more than thirty people on the screen in SWToR waiting for the first instance on the fleet. There were no issues with lag. Same thing with the starter worlds in beta. Easily more than thirty people on the screen certainly more in my general vicinity.

It doesn't matter though, this isn't a contest. Minecraft is not an MMO. It's not written to be an MMO and the developers will tell you this if you ask them.

What I'm interested in, and what others might be interested in (though apparently not so much) is how much of the MMO experience have you had in Minecraft? It certainly seems like you've had more of an MMO experience in Minecraft than you had in SWToR, which is a perfectly fair statement to make, because you're talking about your experience. Except I don't think that's what you said. I think you just wanted to bash SWToR, and are using Minecraft to do it.

knowing you, you might like this mod

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1027678-dark-age-of-minecraftpvp-heroesfactionsiconomyportalsguards/

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127

DavisFlight must have really been disappionted with TOR to take it there.

OK

Massively Multiplayer - Minecraft beats SWTOR, I've seen more people running around on minecraft servers than I did in SWTOR.  AND I only played SWTOR first month when it was at its peak

or perhaps the massively means the size of the world - again Minecraft wins

Role Playing Game - Minecraft beats SWTOR.  In Minecraft I play out a role,  in SWTOR the game plays a ROLE at me, by telling the story of some American space Jock dude I happen to be remote controling.

Therefore

Minecraft is more of a MMORPG than swtor.

I could say simmilar things about other instanced to hell and back glorified lobby games that pass as MMOs these days too. 

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814

#the most ive seen is in the pvp minigames, and thats like 30 players or something and makes the game lag like hell

Wow! I don't play SWTOR, but I didn't realize it was that bad.

In DAOC, about 10 years ago, we had at least 200 people on the screen in big PvP battles over keeps, and lag was tolerable or good.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Originally posted by olepi

In DAOC, about 10 years ago, we had at least 200 people on the screen in big PvP battles over keeps, and lag was tolerable or good.

Its the most heavily sharded / instanced whatever MMO ive played.  Even more so than AOC.  You can see how many shards there are of your current world zone, along with numbers of players present.  I never saw a shard with more than 30 players in it (never mind 30 players on screen), except for the fleet, which they had to emercency patch sharding into as the game ran like a dog on the fleet.  The whole game is a SPRPG, where they have hammer and duct taped some MMO bits on to it.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by DavisFlight There are tons of MMOs on here that aren't actually MMOs.   Minecraft is more of an MMO than games like SWTOR and Dungeon Fighter and Marvel Heroes

How is that factually true?

its not, i am startling to think pretty much everything he posts is not factually true.

Originally posted by ShakyMo ive never seen 100 players on screen in swtor   #the most ive seen is in the pvp minigames, and thats like 30 players or something and makes the game lag like hell  

he is lying though. go to the fleet and you will see far more than 30 people on your screen.

i don't play SWTOR right now either but its misinformation like that, that brings these forums down.

Originally posted by ShakyMo ive never seen 100 players on screen in swtor   #the most ive seen is in the pvp minigames, and thats like 30 players or something and makes the game lag like hell  
    Wow! I don't play SWTOR, but I didn't realize it was that bad. In DAOC, about 10 years ago, we had at least 200 people on the screen in big PvP battles over keeps, and lag was tolerable or good.
    Its the most heavily sharded / instanced whatever MMO ive played.  Even more so than AOC.  You can see how many shards there are of your current world zone, along with numbers of players present.  I never saw a shard with more than 30 players in it (never mind 30 players on screen), except for the fleet, which they had to emercency patch sharding into as the game ran like a dog on the fleet.  The whole game is a SPRPG, where they have hammer and duct taped some MMO bits on to it.

more lies, have you actually played SWTOR?

you have never seen more than 30 people in one zone before? are you frickin kidding me right now?

ive seen well over 100 in many different zones before it's "sharded" that is a fact.

i could go on SWTOR right now and post a screen shot of a zone with a lot more than 30 players in it (not fleet).

tell me, what do you intend to gain by spreading lies? just like ESO's pvp is just like vanilla wow too, huh?

:edit: just logged in to check, on my server korriban has 113 players with two shards running, balmora has 108 people with two shards and taris has 45 with no other shards currently.

those are just the zones i checked.....

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814
    So it sounds like the shard maximum is around 50-60 players. Have you ever had a case where the 50-60 players were all in one spot, fighting each other? What was the lag like?

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.