Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO: Guesstimated Mapsize

asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

Hello everyone.

Awhile ago there was a leaked video of TESO. I managed to watch it on its original source, youtube, before it was removed. Anyhow, most comments there were hardly anything but slurs and bashing of the game but here on MMORPG.com a lot of comments were about the mapsize, and how tiny it appeared to be.

In light of this I decided to show you an estimate of the mapsize based upon the leaked video and what has been said on TESO's website.

This is the area you are going to spend leveling from level 1 to 50 if you choose the Daggerfall Covenant. The tiny little speck of an island is "Stros M'Kai" which is the starting area where the leaked video was featuring.

And to give you some perspective when comparing it to the whole of Tamriel:

Daggerfall Covenant's Borders: Protected by Breton, Orsimer and Redguard.

High Rock: Under Breton Rule.

Hammerfell: Home to the mighty Alik'r Desert.

Stros M'Kai: The starting area for the Daggerfall Covenant players. This is the map you saw in the leaked video.

Rest of the Map: This is the rest of Tamriel. (disregarding The Shivering Isles)

DISCLAIMER: This may not all be available at launch. Some islands and such might be released as "Adventure Maps" for high level players.

I hope this put all your man worries to rest.

EDIT: This post was moved due to failure with presenting the images which led to confusion.

Comments

• glitchhawkglitchhawk Member Posts: 9
    TES Universe has a huge world in general. however even tho they keep saying it will have "all the past games locations" i don't believe it completely. i feel they will either be compressed or like you said, lots of areas will not be there untill later patches/expansions.  EDIT: UNLESS! they are litterally taking the maps/textures from past games, polishing them.. and throwing them all in the same client lol.
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by glitchhawk
    TES Universe has a huge world in general. however even tho they keep saying it will have "all the past games locations" i don't believe it completely. i feel they will either be compressed or like you said, lots of areas will not be there untill later patches/expansions.  EDIT: UNLESS! they are litterally taking the maps/textures from past games, polishing them.. and throwing them all in the same client lol.

They have claimed that they will be leaving (for example) Winterhold out of the game for room for additional expansions*. But they have also said that Cyrodiil will be modeled after the Oblivion map with the same locations, the same caves and dungeons and such. Basically just recreating a copy by hand.**

So in both cases you are correct. I am however sure that a lot of the major expansions will contain the Oblivion Planes because they are so many to choose from and they all have rich lore and unique traits.

(Atleast it would be an obvious choice for them, aside from storywise because it might be strange that several thousand players being in the Oblivion Planes at once)

Sources:

*http://uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online (Not a great source, but I've heard in a couple of interviews about the "leaving areas out".

**http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/09/the-origins-of-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx An interview with Matt Firor. EDIT: Listen from about 3 minutes in if you want the source.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    In reality this map can depict huge, not so huge and even very small areas. They can compress the whole world in a shoe box if they are lazy but then again they can create a living a breathing world of TES. Time will tell but those talking heads Zenimax currently have create only confusion and doubt.
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    In reality this map can depict huge, not so huge and even very small areas. They can compress the whole world in a shoe box if they are lazy but then again they can create a living a breathing world of TES. Time will tell but those talking heads Zenimax currently have create only confusion and doubt.

If you saw the video you could compare it to the time it took him to traverse the small island he was on. However it is quite true. The first island might appear tiny on the map but in reality be just as big as "zones" twice or thrice as large as it on the mainland. So you have a fair point.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    This just makes me sad that I won't  be able to freely explore the whole thing from the get go. Its great that countries aren't tiny, not so great that I can't get a visa for most of them until 50.
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    This just makes me sad that I won't  be able to freely explore the whole thing from the get go. Its great that countries aren't tiny, not so great that I can't get a visa for most of them until 50.

I agree. I would still love to see some sort of open PvP or such. Not having it caters to nobody because the "Invaders" could just be unable to attack unflagged players.

However, it is quite interesting that you'll be able to do the other factions quests. I wonder how that will work lorewise. Considering that a high ranking officer of the opposite alliance might hire you as a sellsword to kill an opponent or such.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Originally posted by glitchhawk

Exactly my thoughts, "compressed".

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i think it will be one or larger game worlds to come out in the last few years.  but,  that could just be wishful thinking.
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by muffins89
    i think it will be one or larger game worlds to come out in the last few years.  but,  that could just be wishful thinking.

it is wishful thinking.

Originally posted by Rthuth434

it is wishful thinking.

I don't think it is wishful thinking. Compared to games like Guild Wars 2 and Defiance this world seems significantly larger.

Originally posted by asrlohz

it is wishful thinking.

I don't think it is wishful thinking. Compared to games like Guild Wars 2 and Defiance this world seems significantly larger.

lol.

it is wishful thinking.

lol.

It has been confirmed that the maps will be atleast equal or greater in size than the zones featured in the previous games. Except for Arena and Daggerfall of course.

Now atleast I base my theories on something. You are obviously just trying to troll.

it is wishful thinking.

i think it will be about as big gw2.  i just hope the zones themselves are larger than the zones in gw2.  (or at least not all rectangular shaped.)

i have some more to add but it's against the rules as of now.

Sure you do.

you want to tell that you played beta?  and the game is really small?  no none cares bro.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

3x the size of GTA: San Andreas.

That's just a random guess based off of nothing. Probably right, tho.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

you want to tell that you played beta?  and the game is really small?  no none cares bro.

They aren't allowed that big of an area as it is right now anyhow, I'm afraid. So even if he is in the beta he will probably have troubles doing a comparison.

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

I remember hearing that the Cyrodiil pvp area alone is only going to be only slightly smaller than it was in Oblivion and the terrain in TESO is going to be an actual copy of what it was in Oblivion. Thats just the terrain not building, farms, towns, etc.

I really wish I could remember where I heard this it might have been in the Interview with Mark (LordHammer) of guild Umbra who got to play the pre-alpha build of TESO and tour the Zenimaz studio.

It's a long ass interview broken up into different sections which are displayed at the top of the video but I believe he confirmed what I remember hearing in this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_8Nc8YcITo

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    I've seen all this map guesstimating before.  Like how SWTOR's planets were gonna be the size of half a WoW continent lol.  Not like it matters all that much if end-game revolves around one zone anyway. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    Originally posted by Shauneepeak

I remember hearing that the Cyrodiil pvp area alone is only going to be only slightly smaller than it was in Oblivion and the terrain in TESO is going to be an actual copy of what it was in Oblivion. Thats just the terrain not building, farms, towns, etc.

I really wish I could remember where I heard this it might have been in the Interview with Mark (LordHammer) of guild Umbra who got to play the pre-alpha build of TESO and tour the Zenimaz studio.

It's a long ass interview broken up into different sections which are displayed at the top of the video but I believe he confirmed what I remember hearing in this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_8Nc8YcITo

In Cyrodiil they have decided to model it after what it was in Oblivion with the same locations. Probably to save time but also because it would add a substantial amount of content/resources ratio. You can listen to an interview where Matt Firor mentions this here:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/09/the-origins-of-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

Listen after 03:00 and forth.

Originally posted by achesoma
    I've seen all this map guesstimating before.  Like how SWTOR's planets were gonna be the size of half a WoW continent lol.  Not like it matters all that much if end-game revolves around one zone anyway. 

My deep space emotion detector detects elements of cynicism and a hint of realism.

What you say is true but hopefully TESO won't be packed with invisible walls and have more of an "en route" quest system rather than one questhub. Also, since the zones are basically the whole of the nation you are in, I doubt that it will be like in Tatooine. But only time will tell.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    From multiple accounts of people that have played the game, the game world is roughly the same size as SW:TOR & Rift.
  • paladin016paladin016 Member Posts: 27
    @Ragz45 It can't be the same size as rift, for each zone in that game it takes u 3 minutes mounted to get from edge to edge. For example, oblivion will take you 20 minutes to get from east to west on a mount. Don't know where your proportions came from

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    You assume that TESO will be to the same scale as previous ES games.  Which by all reports isn't true.