Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the Defiance hate?

Comments

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Today I learned that weapons (and skills) disappearing is not a game breaking issue, even if you can't get them back.  The more you know........!

Someone let me know when that issue is sorted, I know it's a B2P game but I don't feel like wasting my time just to have the boogey man loot my inventory.

Tonight serveres went down (or crashed...12 hours now) and players reported their 200 to 300 ego skills reset, pursuits rest, skill progression lost etc. And now we don't know how much our progressions will be effected once servers are back up.

Honestly, this game is a mess and no where to quality you expect from Trion. Skill resets and rollback is becoming a very common thing lately. So if people are angry or hating the game it is justified. I am all for launch troubles but losing progression every second week is a bit too much.

So like others suggested, do not buy this game yet. I am already regretting my purchase which i made solely on basis of respect for Trion and being a huge fan of Rift.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by fallenlords
    Originally posted by JeroKane

People resort to these kind of tactics, when they can't win the argument.

Didn't think we were having an argument thought we were having a discussion.  As mentioned to bigdaddy what's his name, if people have managed to put up with the sub standard quality of TSW I find it hard to believe they are bitching about Defiance.  Especially considering the scope of Defiance, compared to a single platform MMO.  As mentioned to Isturi there seems to be a common denominator in a lot the people giving the game grief.  But you can make connections with things that aren't there.   Like for example I doubt you have ever played TSW and feel the need to come here and bitch about Defiance in a bit of reciprocal tit for tat.  Sometimes I see things that don't exist.  It's the fault of having an overactive imagination.

Oh please. You didn't like TSW. We get it and that is no big deal.

TSW launch was actually a very smooth launch, especially for Funcom standards.

The game itself was very polished with little issues. Sure it had some exploits that needed to be cracked down and the banhammer swung left and right.

DEFIANCE is a disgrace, especially since TRION delivered such a highly polished product before (RIFT).

I can't remember TSW having a complete disfunctional chat system at launch.

I can't remember TSW having you lose items out of your inventory left and right.

I can't remember TSW having you lose progress and skill points at random.

And then we are not even talking about all the hacks that are currently going rampant in this game, with people running damage hacks and one shotting world bosses in major Arkfalls for example. lol. /facepalm

Currently the DEFIANCE servers are down again for 9 hours and counting.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

DEFIANCE is a disgrace, especially since TRION delivered such a highly polished product before (RIFT).

I can't remember TSW having you lose items out of your inventory left and right.

I'm a bit surprised really. Pretty indifferent to this game but if someone told me they would be having these issues I would have laughed them out of the room considering how good of a job Trion did with Rift's launch and polished things were.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I'm a bit surprised really. Pretty indifferent to this game but if someone told me they would be having these issues I would have laughed them out of the room considering how good of a job Trion did with Rift's launch and polished things were.

That is how i got fooled to. Their data base got corrupted again and servers are down for 12+ hours (pc). players lost ego skills, progression, weapon skills etc. And now we are just fearing the worst once servers come back up. Every second week losing progression is not fun. This is turning out to be one of the worst launches i have experinced in long time.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by halflife25

That is how i got fooled to. Their data base got corrupted again and servers are down for 12+ hours (pc). players lost ego skills, progression, weapon skills etc. And now we are just fearing the worst once servers come back up. Every second week losing progression is not fun. This is turning out to be one of the worst launches i have experinced in long time.

Exaggerate much? It was down for a total of just over 9 hours, not 12+, 7:30 Pacific to a little past 4:30. And what every second week losing progression? Its only been 3 weeks, and this is the 1st time that there has been any significant loss of progression.... which was also why they brought the server down in the first place, to fix it. People didnt just lose, some gained and were boosted several hundred EGOs. I just logged back in now after server came back up and I havent lost a thing from the last time I was on, about 3 hours before it went down.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Exaggerate much? It was down for a total of just over 9 hours, not 12+, 7:30 Pacific to a little past 4:30. And what every second week losing progression? Its only been 3 weeks, and this is the 1st time that there has been any significant loss of progression.... which was also why they brought the server down in the first place, to fix it. People didnt just lose, some gained and were boosted several hundred EGOs. I just logged back in now after server came back up and I havent lost a thing from the last time I was on, about 3 hours before it went down.

Look another, it didn't happen to me so it didn't happen to anyone else..... I guessed you missed the posts where people have been talking about losing weapons and skill resets and pursuits reset for almost 3 weeks now?

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Today I learned that weapons (and skills) disappearing is not a game breaking issue, even if you can't get them back.  The more you know........!

Someone let me know when that issue is sorted, I know it's a B2P game but I don't feel like wasting my time just to have the boogey man loot my inventory.

Tonight serveres went down (or crashed...12 hours now) and players reported their 200 to 300 ego skills reset, pursuits rest, skill progression lost etc. And now we don't know how much our progressions will be effected once servers are back up.

Honestly, this game is a mess and no where to quality you expect from Trion. Skill resets and rollback is becoming a very common thing lately. So if people are angry or hating the game it is justified. I am all for launch troubles but losing progression every second week is a bit too much.

So like others suggested, do not buy this game yet. I am already regretting my purchase which i made solely on basis of respect for Trion and being a huge fan of Rift.

Yeah I love the game but I'm pretty pissed right now. I lost about 2+ hours of gameplay from last night. I am about 3 main missions back now and 5-6 side missions a bunch of arkfalls and quite a bit of EGO. Also missing some nice weapons I had picked up. I for one will not be playing again untill these problems have been taken care of.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    @ JeroKane: TSW's chat was pretty messed up and sometimes still on the fritz, but that was just dropping chat channels when zoning, Defiance is wayyyyy worse.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Look another, it didn't happen to me so it didn't happen to anyone else..... I guessed you missed the posts where people have been talking about losing weapons and skill resets and pursuits reset for almost 3 weeks now?

Look another person who cant even tell the difference between 1 topic and another. Youre complaining about the rollback from the server issues last night. Then you claim Im wrong by bringing up other known bugs which they have been working on and have nothing to do with the previously mentioned rollback which you brought up. 2 completely different subjects.

Look another person who cant even tell the difference between 1 topic and another. Youre complaining about the rollback from the server issues last night. Then you claim Im wrong by bringing up other known bugs which they have been working on and have nothing to do with the previously mentioned rollback which you brought up. 2 completely different subjects.

Huh? read again..i am talking about this rollback as well loss of progression during last 3 weeks too. I was giving him the rundown of the mess that this game has become in this 2 weeks time.

Before the latest patch players were already reporting resetting of vehicles progression back to zero, losing their gold and silver medals and pursuit progression, loss of rare weapons and it was assured that in new patch all this will be fixed. After new patch on top of all the previous problems people started losing weapon progression too and now after tonights down time people have yet again lost progression and  rare weapons. So this problem isn't confined to just what happened today.

I am not some hater here. I have 2700 EGO rating. You don't go that far if you are not enjoying the game. I am fine with server down times and crashes but getting hit by loss of progression 2 to 3 times with no compensation for it is a bit too much.

You can check my post history, i seldom post here and this is exactly the reason why. You can not make one post without some angry fan jumping your bones.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    @ JeroKane: TSW's chat was pretty messed up and sometimes still on the fritz, but that was just dropping chat channels when zoning, Defiance is wayyyyy worse.

TSW chat was screwed up for about 2 months.  The game is a GREAT deal to play through the content.  But it had its issues.  It still does.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Isturi

If we were to find out the real truth of the matter is that companies pay people to come on these threads just to create negative threads as to keep people on the fence away from the game. Usually rival gaming companies.

The reason why Defiance is because it is a first in the entertainment world with a TV and a MMO combine. Other game companies are losing money, so they see Trion and Sy Fy as a threat they low blow the game bottom line.

Defiance is not going any ware and actually I am kind of glade that these people are scared of Defiance because it just goes to prove that Trion and Sy Fy know that they have prob one of the best entertainment experiences for our dollar that is a B2P game and free very well put Sci Fi show that ties in with the game.

TYVM Trion Wolds and TYVM Sy Fy channel.

I mean who in their right mind will want to spind their day otherwise to come here and just put down Defiance day end and Day out? I would imagine that people would have better things to do with their life. LOLimage

How's that tinfoil hat treating ya?  And really everyone that comes to MMORPG.com is to put down games, called forum PvP. 

Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

TSW chat was screwed up for about 2 months.  The game is a GREAT deal to play through the content.  But it had its issues.  It still does.

What do you mean messed up for 2 months? All it was that you lost connection to the chat server now and then when zoning, but reconnect pretty much seconds later.

At least in TSW I could talk to people, form groups, chat away and run dungeons and mission groups with others. You know.... socialize with others in a MMO!

In Defiance NO ONE talks! Period! Not even in CO-OP maps! Simply because the chat system doesn't work!

It took them two weeks to fix the private message system.... well somewhat.... as it's still hit and miss.

3 weeks later and we are still without a properly working chat system. Everyone just runs around like a headless chicken. No teamplay... no groups.... nada!  It's a joke. Especially for a MMO! /shrug

The only interaction you have in DEFIANCE currently is with NPC's. lol!

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

The game itself was very polished with little issues. Sure it had some exploits that needed to be cracked down and the banhammer swung left and right.

And then we are not even talking about all the hacks that are currently going rampant in this game, with people running damage hacks and one shotting world bosses in major Arkfalls for example. lol. /facepalm

The TSW launch was good by Funcom standards, but then those standards were pretty low to begin with so I don't it's anything to crow about.  You can't really get worse than releasing a non working game - AOC Rise of the Godslayer memory errors, crashing on changing zone for everybody on release.  As for TSW what is the main complaint about the game?  Crap combat animations, Funcom released an unfinished game by all accounts. I seem to recall chat not working or group finding.   Not to mention the debacle trying to sell it as a sub based model.  Their launch was a screw up right from the start and the Ex CEO seeing the poor pre-order numbers tried to quickly sell off his shares, because he knew things were going down the pan.   Funcom then tried to blame Metacritic for poor sales because of their score. So not only are you dealing with a sub-standard developer you are dealing with a business with no morals. 

As for Defiance, mileage obviously varies depending on platform.  Xbox (UK) server up and running, voice chat works, text chat works, no hacks that I have noticed.  If things like hacking and exploits bother you then consider a different platform - one of the reasons I moved to console.  It's not so easy to use things like bots. Again Defiance released on three platforms, TSW was on one and still a screw up.  No comparison really at all, either with games or the developers.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Maybe the "hate" is because people are tired to see ThemePark after ThemePark released? They say this game is original but it seems to be just another ThemePark to me and frankly I cant bother to "hate" it; just stopped caring about these Mickey Mouse MMOs.
  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

He is under the impression that people play only one MMO at a time and should form some kind of allegiance or join camps of whatever MMO they are attached to.

No I am under the impression that a lot of people who have had a game they like trashed, decide to get a bit of return justice by trashing an opposing game with petty arguments.  Hence the reason I look for a common connection.  That's were I was scratching the surface, do you have legitimate complaints with the game or is this a bit of reciprocal bashing?

To my mind Defiance isn't a game I would get wound up about, even if the server was down.  Haven't waited ages for release, haven't been promised things and not delivered.  Not part of an existing franchise.  You have some innovation with the TV series connection.  But overall it's a shooter MMO, the depth of that is going to be shallow.   On top of which they are supporting three platforms which is going to massively impact on the speed of resolution for things.  I just don't see anything to get worked up about.  Even missing inventory items or skills being reset, impact is marginal compared to most MMO's. 

But if I was deliberately picking fault with Defiance, then yes I would make out inventory items missing is a big whoop and skills being reset.   I certainly wouldn't give them credit for their scope or cut them any slack whatsoever with a three platform release, if I was deliberately picking fault.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Maybe the "hate" is because people are tired to see ThemePark after ThemePark released? They say this game is original but it seems to be just another ThemePark to me and frankly I cant bother to "hate" it; just stopped caring about these Mickey Mouse MMOs.

while i do enjoy those Micky Mouse MMOs as you call them I sort of do agree.. very few try to step outside the norm and at the end of the day they are all a bit to similar

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

Have not got around to buying the game yet.(Broke college student) From my Alpha impressions I would easilly give the game a 6-7 out of 10 with plenty of room to grow.

I feel that many people see any score below 7.5 nowadays as bad I know I'm quilty of it fairly often and this does reign true for many non MMOs. But an MMO that gets a 6 or 7 at launch should not be considered bad right away especially seeing as MMOs are geared for expansion and that they are normally launched with room for improvement which from what I have seen Trion is definetly doing.

I will almost certainly pick this up at some point maybe grab the PS3 version for cheap at Gamestop or something.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    I expect a game that cost 60 bucks to get better reviews. Yes, you've found it for $33. Maybe once its down to $20 I'll have enough courage to try it out. Not there yet, though.
    Originally posted by fallenlords

The TSW launch was good by Funcom standards, but then those standards were pretty low to begin with so I don't it's anything to crow about.  You can't really get worse than releasing a non working game - AOC Rise of the Godslayer memory errors, crashing on changing zone for everybody on release.  As for TSW what is the main complaint about the game?  Crap combat animations, Funcom released an unfinished game by all accounts. I seem to recall chat not working or group finding.   Not to mention the debacle trying to sell it as a sub based model.  Their launch was a screw up right from the start and the Ex CEO seeing the poor pre-order numbers tried to quickly sell off his shares, because he knew things were going down the pan.   Funcom then tried to blame Metacritic for poor sales because of their score. So not only are you dealing with a sub-standard developer you are dealing with a business with no morals. 

As for Defiance, mileage obviously varies depending on platform.  Xbox (UK) server up and running, voice chat works, text chat works, no hacks that I have noticed.  If things like hacking and exploits bother you then consider a different platform - one of the reasons I moved to console.  It's not so easy to use things like bots. Again Defiance released on three platforms, TSW was on one and still a screw up.  No comparison really at all, either with games or the developers.

LMAO!  So now you are saying we need to switch platform? lol.

XBOX release of DEFIANCE has been a total dissaster! The first week the XBOX servers have been more down than up, due to performance and stability issues galore.

Not to mention that XBOX players have been  complaining left and right about the garbage Voice chat! Especially since on console you depend on it, rather than text chat hardly anybody uses on console.

The XBOX section of the Defiance forums were on fire. So come on now.

I seriously think you are here just trolling and not playing the game at all.

You don't know anything about the game's mechanics.... you pretty much don't know anything that has been going on the past three weeks! You just dismiss everything and try derail the thread with stupid TSW stuff that has nothing to do with DEFIANCE.

And yes, we know you hate Funcom and yes we know you hate TSW.  That you did not like the game, doesn't mean the game didn't function nor was it broken at launch.

But whatever.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Personally I just think it's super light on content and extremely mediocre in so many ways.  Also the launch has been pretty rough with a lot of issues, more so than the last few mmo launches I've seen.  Just last night 3 weeks after launch there was a 7 hour downtime during prime time Saturday and a rollback, plus connection issues I've had way more than any other mmo I've played.  All in all, it can be fun but it is just soooooooooo average.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

while i do enjoy those Micky Mouse MMOs as you call them I sort of do agree.. very few try to step outside the norm and at the end of the day they are all a bit to similar

Well I enjoyed them too but there are only that many times you can eat a hamburger and not get sick of it. Time for the devs to start creating some truly groundbreaking MMOs and not just use the same old same old with some twist.

I am sick of playing MMOs for a month or two and then get bored because I am doing the same thing over and over. Isn't that what single player games are for?

• LifebleederLifebleeder Member UncommonPosts: 11

I don't hate the game, and I haven't really seen a ton of rage about it, just general criticism.  I played the last few betas, and walked away thouroughly unimpressed each time.  When I'm playing an MMO, I don't expect it to feel like a bad console port, and it did.

DUDE!  A beta isn't representitive of the final product!  The final beta wasn't far removed from the actual launch, on top of that, most of what I've been reading/watching concerning the game only confirms my feelings from the beta.

The chat system was awful.   Many here said it was a co-operative game, a co-op game with a crappy chat interface doesn't mesh very well.

Me and a few of my friends found the whole grouping system to just be a pain.

Either of those things can be a deal breaker for me when it comes to an MMO.  Combined, no thanks. 

Add onto that:

DLC - Paid DLC for an MMO?  Depending on how Trion handles it, eww.  Before someone gets uppity and goes "OMIGOD IT'S JUST LIKE EXPANSION PACKS!"  No, it's not.  I've never seen an MMO release 5 expansion packs in a year, which is what Trion plans on doing this year, and it's already April.

Bugs - Holy shit.  Now it's launch so I have to cut them some slack, but still.  It's had a very rough launch which suprised me.  Cause Rift's launch was about as well handled as any I've ever seen.  Either way I'm not going to pay $60 USD to watch my guy fall threw the world for 4 hours, or have stuff in my inventory suddenly disappear.

Lore - I love lore, I had no idea what I was doing.  I didn't know what half of the things they were talking about were.  Just an overall poor introduction.  I don't know if this is intentional because of the show at the detriment to the game.  If the two sides just don't communicate very well, or if Trion is being lazy.  In any case, poorly done.

AI - In other genres this isn't really such a huge deal.  Melee mobs run at you and use a couple of abilities, while you use your abilities.  In an shooter it's absolutely crucial, and this game has braindead mobs.

MMO - It's been said before, and I'm going to parrot that.  It's an MMO that doesn't feel like an MMO at all.

On the plus side, the mix and match weapons are fun.  The show/game tie in is a neat idea if done properly.  I like the "world" they've created even though I have no idea what's going on in it, or any of the history.

In all most of these problems can be fixed with time, but for $60 on top of paid DLC, most people are going to pass for the forseeable future (me included).

"The Object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."

-George S. Patton

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Well I enjoyed them too but there are only that many times you can eat a hamburger and not get sick of it. Time for the devs to start creating some truly groundbreaking MMOs and not just use the same old same old with some twist.

I am sick of playing MMOs for a month or two and then get bored because I am doing the same thing over and over. Isn't that what single player games are for?

i actually really only play single player games if it has a good story so i generally stick to RPGs mostly but enjoyed bioshock infinite and the new tomb raider a good bit.. but yea I fall into the same old same old wall a lot faster these days then i did years ago.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    I think you are overdramatising a bit. Defience was a let down that's for sure. It's a mix between a MMORPG and a multiplayer third person shooter, but feature wise it's extremely shallow. Why do I think so ? No point to repeat what others people pointed out mutliple times. Angry Joe hit the nail on this one. So did Total Biscuit.
This discussion has been closed.