Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TheoryClassing!! :)) (edited for clarity)

SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

Five classes per realm.

No mirroring, yet each realm has approximation of the base archetypes.

C'mon it's fun! Doesn't have to be about serious prediction, just fun!

Arthurians: T

ank: high defense with group defense abilities

Caster: lots of CC with good damage.

Healer: High protective/healing ability and speed class.

Hybrid: Buffer/Archer

Crafter: Builder/armor bonuses

TDD:

Tank: Moderate defense and good debuffs.

Caster: Good damage and buffer class

Healer: CC and healing.

Hybrid: Archer and Speed class.

Crafter: bow/weapon and mining bonuses.

Viking:

Tank: high offense and speed class

Caster: good damage and debuffs

Healer: healing and buffs

Hybrid: CC and archer.

Crafter: Seige and weapon bonuses

(edited for clarity now that i am on a pc. Mobile posting is teh lame...)

Comments

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    LOL I tried in an excel spreadsheet, and wow that's actually really hard to get balanced. =)

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    Need more classes :)

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• SmudgePudgeSmudgePudge Member CommonPosts: 78

You should post the skills that each realm must have in order to be balanced like:

CC, Heal, Buff, Range, Tank, etc.

I'd have to take a look at the DAoC classes to get a full list but something like a list to pull from would help.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Tuktz
    LOL I tried in an excel spreadsheet, and wow that's actually really hard to get balanced. =)

Haha imagine CSE's job ;)

Originally posted by SmudgePudge

You should post the skills that each realm must have in order to be balanced like:

CC, Heal, Buff, Range, Tank, etc.

I'd have to take a look at the DAoC classes to get a full list but something like a list to pull from would help.

Example:

Healing/Protection

Buffing

Debuffing

Speed

CC

Ranged DPS

Tank or melee dps (could be more offensive or defensive by realm, so "Tank" becomes two different criteria depending.)

Archery/Scout type

I'd rather leave Stealth out for now. Feel free to modify or add different criteria!! :)

• WolvanWolvan Member Posts: 49

You cannot leave out stealth!  Stealth isn't dead yet.

God, I hope we gets some neat stealth.  

Originally posted by Wolvan

You cannot leave out stealth!  Stealth isn't dead yet.

God, I hope we gets some neat stealth.  

I would like Stealth in CU as well! I am just including things we KNOW will be in. Feel free to add Stealth as another factor in this, however :)

• SmudgePudgeSmudgePudge Member CommonPosts: 78
    Nice - I've got to run out right now but I'll load this up when I get back and give it a shot!
  • EllyaEllya Member Posts: 99

Hmm, I'm not sure they would be able to go with non-mirrored crafters.

The skills they bring are so universal that the only non-mirroring effect could be the type of damage the traps or weapons do, or the look of the buildings or armour they make.

Anything else and there would be uproar! :)

Originally posted by Ellya

Hmm, I'm not sure they would be able to go with non-mirrored crafters.

The skills they bring are so universal that the only non-mirroring effect could be the type of damage the traps or weapons do, or the look of the buildings or armour they make.

Anything else and there would be uproar! :)

Fair point. I was thinking less specific skills but aptitudes for faster advancement or greater critical success chances for certain skills, though... still, that might dissuade crafters from taking certain skills. Wonder how they could non-mirror crafters but keep a good variety of them per-realm?

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

For crafters, I think the distinction between you and other realms crafters will be what you create.

A lot of the difference may be cosmetic though. You know, buildings, siege, traps, etc... look different from other realms.

If crafters are going to get SOME basic combat skills, perhaps each realms crafter could have different ones... like one realm has basic buffs, another has basic debuffs, another has cc.

As far as crafting though, it would be hard not to be mirrored out of fairness between the 3 realms for the crafters.

Of course within a crafter himself, you can specialize into a lot of varying paths of crafting.

Keep in mind too though, taht different realms may use different weapons/armors, so thats another way you'd differ from other realms crafters.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374

Archers will be the sixth class if enough funding  hybrid prob sspeedy ou are not going to see healer have speed

• tenfoldedmighttenfoldedmight Member Posts: 54

I would love to see the CC be on the speed class at least in one realm so i can relive my daoc days as a bard:)

I think that will be the decisive thing for which realm i'll pick.

As for theorycrafting what the classes will be for each realm, i'll wait.

But its fun to read! So keep it coming!

I think I like the concept of things like speed, CC, buffing and debuffing being spread out among the Trinity archetypes and
    each Trinity archetype being different in each realm by virtue of these
    things. Seriously, having a primary tank with group speed, a primary
    healer with speed, and a caster with speed for each realm, rather than
    every realm having a support class with speed, for example,
    is awesome. Using this logic also for CC and buffs/debuffs not only
    makes non-mirroring more apparent, but opens up more variety
    for hybrids to be very unique.
  • tenfoldedmighttenfoldedmight Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    I think I like the concept of things like speed, CC, buffing and debuffing being spread out among the Trinity archetypes and each Trinity archetype being different in each realm by virtue of these things. Seriously, having a primary tank with group speed, a primary healer with speed, and a caster with speed for each realm, rather than every realm having a support class with speed, for example, is awesome. Using this logic also for CC and buffs/debuffs not only makes non-mirroring more apparent, but opens up more variety for hybrids to be very unique.

Yeah it's a developers nightmare to balance but a players dream to play! :)

Absolutly loved how it played out in daoc and can't wait to get in on the action in CU

• JoeShmoe75JoeShmoe75 Member Posts: 20

I would like to see more than 4 or maybe more spec lines for each class. Think Healer with shaman/pac/aug/heal spec lines. Would kind of make classes more fun/mixable for solo or group.

The hybrid kinda makes me wonder though. I hope they include a solid light tank dps class like savage/bm. Tired of games with generic I'm a 2h warrior in plate!!! Lets all be the same!!!! 

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    I think I like the concept of things like speed, CC, buffing and debuffing being spread out among the Trinity archetypes and each Trinity archetype being different in each realm by virtue of these things. Seriously, having a primary tank with group speed, a primary healer with speed, and a caster with speed for each realm, rather than every realm having a support class with speed, for example, is awesome. Using this logic also for CC and buffs/debuffs not only makes non-mirroring more apparent, but opens up more variety for hybrids to be very unique.

A real nightmare to balance and avoid redundant classes though.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

I like your ideas on crafters. Hopefully they add even more bonuses for races and maybe even gender. So a Male Dwarf Viking would have 3 sets of bonuses. I can just imagine how this would make each crafter even more unique. If you want the best sword in the game well you better find a female lurikeen from TDD.  Best siege, Male Viking Troll, the female viking trolls are good at building structures.

The more unique a player can be the better overall for the game.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

TDD

Tank : average absorbance and damage

caster : high range dps, buffs, magic spying+sabotage abilities

Healer : heals + debuffs + speed

archer/stealth : low range bows + single CC (blowguns ? poison ? )+ good melee skills 

hybrid :cc, speed burst, buffs, average melee skills

Arthurians :

Tank : High absorbance, lower damage + sabotage abilities

caster : aoe + cc + speed

Healer : heals + buffs + magic spying abilities

archer/stealth : Crossbow (high damage, medium range, longer reload time), average melee skills

hybrid :average pbaoe dmg, average melee skills, chant buffs

VIkings : 

Tank : lower absorbance higher damage + speed

caster : pbaoe + debuff 

Healer : heals + cc

archer/stealth : long range bow, lower damage, average melee skill +  spying/sabotage abilities

hybrid :aoe damage, buffs, chant debuffs, average melee skills

Crafters : Not mirrored, but will basically be different from they what can craft, build, according to their realm. but one thing that could be "cool" is that some ressources could be needed and useful at different "levels" depending on each realms. it would make those ressources basicailly needed at launch or 4 years after launch, since the need would vary from 1 realm to another

I - I would maybe allow each class to have one buff, to totally avoid the chance of buffbots,, but the other good way to do so would simply to hav buffs time and range based.

II - i know each class will be basically be able to wear any kind of armor, so the stuff suggested on tanks about absorbance is only suggesting the armor they can wear without ability loss.

III - Regarding archer/stealth classes, its only suggested of course if they are implemented, but i remain a firm believer that "bow users" are the ones that should have stealth, its a class based on sneaking, being discrete, avoid being seen. its basically the 4th obvious class when the HT is used. if on the other hand it was all "hybrid class" then i could see the stealth ability on basically any class, but not in an HT system.

IV - I didnt go deeper than what i suggested in this, since we dont have much info about the game mechanics, so of course its only theorising, but like OP said, its fun to do.

V - i'm also tempted to put all the spying sabotage skills to stealthers only, so i wasnt sure if i was to "give it" to stealther class in Vikings, or to split the spying and sabotage between the caster class and healer class.

VI - i was also tempted to give it only to the hybrid classes, but since it's not sure they,d be there at launch....

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

TDD

caster : high range dps, buffs, magic spyinig+sabotage abilities

archer/stealth : low range bows + single CC (blowguns ? poison ? )+ good melee skills 

Arthurians :

Tank : High absorbance, lower damage

Healer : heals + buffs 

archer/stealth : Crossbow (high damage, medium range, longer reload time), average melee skills

VIkings : 

archer/stealth : long range bow, lower damage, average melee skill + spying/sabotage abilities

Crafters : Not mirrored, but will basically be different from they what can craft, build, according to their realm. but one thing that could be "cool" is that some ressources could be needed and useful at different "levels" depending on each realms. it would make those ressources basicailly needed at launch or 4 years after launch, since the need would vary from 1 realm to another

I - I would maybe allow each class to have one buff, to totally avoid the chance of buffbots,, but the other good way to do so would simply to hav buffs time and range based.

II - i know each class will be basically be able to wear any kind of armor, so the stuff suggested on tanks about absorbance is only suggesting the armor they can wear without ability loss.

III - Regarding archer/stealth classes, its only suggested of course if they are implemented, but i remain a firm believer that "bow users" are the ones that should have stealth, its a class based on sneaking, being discrete, avoid being seen. its basically the 4th obvious class when the HT is used. if on the other hand it was all "hybrid class" then i could see the stealth ability on basically any class, but not in an HT system.

IV - I didnt go deeper than what i suggested in this, since we dont have much info about the game mechanics, so of course its only theorising, but like OP said, its fun to do.

Thanks Bowbow! I like your setup. Nice spread of abilities. I DO notice that the Arthurians have no Spying/Sabotage ability class, however. Is that a counter-balance to something else?

Anyway, thanks for contributing, buddy! This is the stuff I like to nerd out on ;)

Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

TDD

caster : high range dps, buffs, magic spyinig+sabotage abilities

Arthurians :

Tank : High absorbance, lower damage

Healer : heals + buffs 

VIkings : 

archer/stealth : long range bow, lower damage, average melee skill + spying/sabotage abilities

Thanks Bowbow! I like your setup. Nice spread of abilities. I DO notice that the Arthurians have no Spying/Sabotage ability class, however. Is that a counter-balance to something else?

Anyway, thanks for contributing, buddy! This is the stuff I like to nerd out on ;)

oops ! forgot that lol, will edit original message :) 

Thanks !

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

Version 2 with correction : 

TDD

caster : high range dps, buffs, magic spying+sabotage abilities

Arthurians :

Tank : High absorbance, lower damage + sabotage abilities

Healer : heals + buffs + magic spying abilities

VIkings : 

archer/stealth : long range bow, lower damage, average melee skill +  spying/sabotage abilities

I - I would maybe allow each class to have one buff, to totally avoid the chance of buffbots,, but the other good way to do so would simply to hav buffs time and range based.

V - i'm also tempted to put all the spying sabotage skills to stealthers only, so i wasnt sure if i was to "give it" to stealther class in Vikings, or to split the spying and sabotage between the caster class and healer class.

VI - i was also tempted to give it only to the hybrid classes, but since it's not sure they,d be there at launch....

Thurka on WAR

Love it, Bowbow. The "spying" abilities are an intriguing concept. Wonder how that could work in-game...

Well, for this part, i had a few ideas.

a "spy" could gain "xp" by i.e. choose the skill, then click on ennemy targets. of course the stealther should be alone while doing this, as this would be a "reconnaissance" skill. Once he clicked on them, they could appear on our mini map after lets say 30 seconds (at low level), that would be an effective way to report ennemy's activities basically anywhere. it could appear on the mini map with just a number. The number chosen by the spy to report how many ennemies there is. much like each time a warrior wields his weapon, his ability will rise, each time the spy uses this skills like that, it would raise also (maybe be able to "zoom in" from afar to spot the ennemies from a safer spot, maybe it could appear faster on mini map.

the stealth class could have some other skills that would help him do a better job; i.e. disguise. he could then go for a brief period of time in close range of the ennemies, lets say in a mine. he could then use the skill mentionned earlier, to report where ennemies are, how many.

So when i mention "magical" spy abilities, a caster with that abilitiy would have a "disguise" spell, compared to a non magical disguise ability, requiring more time to make a disguise (castable disguise could take a few seconds only)

Sabotage : self explanatory. it could go from disabling siege weapons, to set a trap in a mine to have everyone buried there, damaged, killed.

i didnt think too much about that yet, i just thought it was a viable possibility 

the problem with this is that i dont think we'll have a mini map :P

Thurka on WAR

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

I'm mad at you bowbow, you killed me in Duckhammer!!!

:p

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!