Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waiting Crowd - We need your $5!

Comments

• SmudgePudgeSmudgePudge Member CommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by SmudgePudge
    Originally posted by JasonJ
    Originally posted by Taldier

You do realize he wasnt fired or anything right?  He chose to leave, and he chose to create his own studio again.

These nonsense ad hominem attacks against him are really getting old.

You do realize that he left because Bioware was merged with Mythic and he wouldnt have a "lead" designer role anymore, in 2009...then suddenly, after several long years, creates a new company with no money to make anything.

Do you think for those 2+ years he wasnt trying to find a job? lol...these nonsense blind defenses of him are really getting old.

He's putting up $2 million of his own money. So yeah, I think it's probably reasonable to assume he didn't have to look for a job.

What were the jobs he failed at being hired for?

MJ is putting up 2 mil AFTER he closes the KS (and is funded) otherwise it is not worth his investment - very telling isn't it.

It is extremely telling of a guy who isn't so rich that $2 mill is throw away change but will put the money up if people want the game.

Also - do you think all those people at CSE are working for free right now? lol - who do you think is paying them?

Originally posted by Chakula
    I'll donate don't worry. I'm waiting like i'm sure many others are.

So can I ask why you are waiting? You are who I was hoping would post on this thread :-)

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

You do realize he wasnt fired or anything right?  He chose to leave, and he chose to create his own studio again.

You do realize that he left because Bioware was merged with Mythic and he wouldnt have a "lead" designer role anymore, in 2009...then suddenly, after several long years, creates a new company with no money to make anything.

Do you think for those 2+ years he wasnt trying to find a job? lol...these nonsense blind defenses of him are really getting old.

He's putting up $2 million of his own money. So yeah, I think it's probably reasonable to assume he didn't have to look for a job.

MJ is putting up 2 mil AFTER he closes the KS (and is funded) otherwise it is not worth his investment - very telling isn't it.

Yes it is, but what it tells you is open for debate. It tells me just logically that if the interest isn't there to make the game (being gauged by whether the kickstarter funds or not), then he's not going to put 2 M of his OWN money (not a big publishers, his own) into a game/project not enough people want. Why create a supply for something if the demand isn't there. I think the verdict is still out on the demand side though. Look at past kickstarted gaming projects, they all had big surges at beginning and end, with lulls in the middle. This could easily follow one of those trends, and the 2 M goal and/or even stretch goals in the last week and especially last few days of the kickstarter.

Not sure what it tells you though... but I wouldn't put 2 M of my own money in a project if there isn't enough interest for my idea.

To me it's just the alternative to havint to crawl to a big time publishers like EA or SONY or whoever, asking for all sorts of money with strings attached. I like how he's gauging the interest.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

Originally posted by RandomDown
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    Originally posted by Toxia

That's probably a better question to ask.

That it is that action combat stuff. I do not like it at all. Love me some tab targeting.

Ah yeah - this one took me by surprise when it was brought up awhile ago. Lots of people really into the tab targeting. Well I can tell you that Mark Jacobs has specifically said that isn't taking tab targeting off the table. He also said that the game will NOT have tab targeting for every class though. He feels that tab targeting makes sense for some classes but is simply easymode on other classes.

I can certainly see how gameplay footage with help with this concern though.

Well I could see the non tab targeting classes being AE heavy and doing something like you see in a lot of MOBAs where you place the ground target yourself, since it really is way to easy to AE when its centered on your target.

Edit: Guess you were responding again while I was busy. Yeah we call those "reactives" =P. I don't mind those or positionals though I think a lot of people disliked positionals in DAoC (I played it for some time btw). In TSW it has to do with various effects, so you "hinder" someone and various skills gain secondary effects against targets that have "hinder" applied.

Ok cool. I see this a lot in League of Legends - you 'dot' someone with 'sunlight' and then all attacks after that deal more damage. I could see this working pretty awesome in an MMO. You dot someone and that opens up other things you can hit them with.

Very cool.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

It is extremely telling of a guy who isn't so rich that $2 mill is throw away change but will put the money up if people want the game.

Also - do you think all those people at CSE are working for free right now? lol - who do you think is paying them?

I have worked in startups, in the biotech industry, and many of those were started on money from the founders. If you dhave a wait and see attitude, if strangers fund you, when you could start with your own money, many of the new drugs, etc would not be around. Sorry, it just says to me that he has no confidence in his own work.

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I think it would be neat though that much interaction could be daunting with a small dev time. I just like the option of numerous builds to play with. Every system has the optimal build for whatever kind of effectiveness you're going for, but you can still make fun and effective builds even if they are slightly sub optimal. It also would make pvp much more engaging and require more knowledge of the overall game. But that is a whole other thread. In any case I'm considering backing if I see something more concrete about combat before the timer ends since as an almost purely pvp game outside of crafters and harvesting that has to be a solid system.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Exactly what i posted moments ago. No effect. Shocking.

He's here, he's telling you he'd throw in some money to help, even though he isn't won over by the game.

This would be your chance to ask what he isn't interested in, and see if you can't shine a positive light on his negatives, maybe win him over.

No, it's, Why are you here?

So, when he gets up and leaves, leaving you no coin in your cup, this thread will have been so worth it.

You beat me to it. I was basically going to say the same thing. I think if there were folks on the fence before reading this thread, they aren't now after being brow beat here. I believe I will go buy me a coffee with my $5 now.

There has literally only been 1 post from someone who said they were on the fence. So I have no idea what you are talking about.

The point is you HAVE the money from people who are interested. They have Pledged already. They have pledged what they were comfortable with. You've won that fight. Now, you need to win over the ones who didn't find it worth their time. Basic business 101.

Goes alllll the way back to the bible. Jesus didn't walk around looking for people interested in him, he walked around looking for non believers to win over. Boom. Christianity has a bankroll bigger than bill gates portfolio.

Chasing the non believers off isn't your goal at this point in the KS. You want to win them over, get their money. That's my point.

Ok so why are you on the fence?

I'm not on the fence. I'm against the game and it's sub model. That's literally all i don't like about it. I understand WHY it's a sub model(Niche games need subs since they dont have the massive playerbase to let the minoritty buy enough stuff to keep it going), but I still don't care for playing a bill everymonth for a game that has no PVE(since PVE content is much more expensive to make, yet games with lots of PVE and a RvR model pvp dont charge a sub)

That said, i have pitched in enough to the KS to get a copy of the game. Because I know at some point, if it releases, i'll want to try it out. I'm sketchy like that. Hype gets me everytime.

So, my logic goes, instead of paying 59.99 for the game when the hype hits me(likely more by the time it releases, games just get more expensive), i'll throw in the small amount required to get the copy, and the money i've saved there can go to a couple months sub to play the game a good bit, and still not ACTUALLY be paying a sub. I win, Dev's win, Everyone wins like that.

Maybe try a thread with that approach. 

"Guys, i know you don't like the sub model. But here's the thing. If you pitch a few bucks in to get the game, the money you've saved there when it releases let's you play for a good few months for the same price GW2 charged for their game.We've heard countless testimonies that GW2 players played the game a few months and lost interest in it. YOU might actually be one of them. Was it a waste of money? No, you got plenty for your 60 bucks flat fee. You're getting the same thing by pitching into the CU KS. Get the game for cheap, the money you save there will go towards a few months sub time to decide if you like the game. Don't let the opinion of others define if you try the game that just might be the game of your life. Games you Never thought you'd like but tried and liked them anyways? This just might be one of them."

Or some shit like that. I'm not a marketer. But logic is logic.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

I have worked in startups, in the biotech industry, and many of those were started on money from the founders. If you dhave a wait and see attitude, if strangers fund you, when you could start with your own money, many of the new drugs, etc would not be around. Sorry, it just says to me that he has no confidence in his own work.

I just think it's smart, because he knows it's a niche. He's confident in his ideas, and will stick to them, which makes it even MORE important to gauge the target demographics interest. He has to make sure there are enough of us niche to support building a business around this niche. 

The honest truth is the majority of the MMO industry is the themepark style mmo, and that's what draws HUGE numbers of casual players.

He knows our niche is out there, but it's hard to tell how many. A big publisher would never support this idea, because they wouldn't want to limit their target demographic so much right out of the gate.

That's why it's so perfect the way he's doing it.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by collekt
    Originally posted by grvmpybear
    I think this Kickstarter needs to fail. I think CSE needs to spe.d some time to actually create something, THEN launch another Kickstarter.

I definitely agree.

I am just surprised so many people donated to a whim. If the CU management would have given more information, I may have thrown some money in to help out. But, since I have no interest in the game, it's hard for me to justify throwing my money at a poorly executed kickstarter.

[mod edit]

First, not a hater at all. A realist, are you? Just because we disagree, does not mean I don't want the game to come out. I just think MJ did a poor execution with the KS campaign.

Ever see the movie 'The Flim-Flam man'? Just how this KS seems to be.....

I think it would be neat though that much interaction could be daunting with a small dev time. I just like the option of numerous builds to play with. Every system has the optimal build for whatever kind of effectiveness you're going for, but you can still make fun and effective builds even if they are slightly sub optimal. It also would make pvp much more engaging and require more knowledge of the overall game. But that is a whole other thread. In any case I'm considering backing if I see something more concrete about combat before the timer ends since as an almost purely pvp game outside of crafters and harvesting that has to be a solid system.

I can't imagine them not giving at least some indication of the combat system before the KS is over. I think they've hinted at this already.

Hope they deliver for you and you become a backer! The community is already amazing - there are over 32k comments already!

I think this Kickstarter needs to fail. I think CSE needs to spe.d some time to actually create something, THEN launch another Kickstarter.

I definitely agree.

I am just surprised so many people donated to a whim. If the CU management would have given more information, I may have thrown some money in to help out. But, since I have no interest in the game, it's hard for me to justify throwing my money at a poorly executed kickstarter.

[mod edit]

First, not a hater at all. A realist, are you? Just because we disagree, does not mean I don't want the game to come out. I just think MJ did a poor execution with the KS campaign.

CSE started with the largest goal of any video game project ever. They raised $1 million in the first week.

Poor execution?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by Tuktz
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

The trolls are out and about tonight...

I have no idea why this game is being met with such fear and hostility from so many people.

Maby because there is no game.

Maybe because it's stll in kickstarter?

Most games on kickstarter have atleast a workable alfa to show off.

No, they don't. TWO big projects to date have, most have just been concept art and some promises. And this game has shown off alpha footage.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328

I definitely agree.

Poorly executed because they are using Kickstarter to KICKSTART a project? Honestly people are so blatantly retarded sometimes. Kickstarter is not designed for nearly finished projects to get a little bit more money for extra features. We should probably just completely stop responding to people like these two. Go spend your time in the forum of something you want to support, haters. 

Look.. if you're one of the people on the fence about this game, and you're trying to wait to find out certain information that can make or break it for you then I totally understand. However, I'm just so tired of reading posts from people that damn the game just because it doesn't have a running client yet. This is Kickstarter, not a pre-order that gets you into the beta immediately. Don't blame CSE because you don't know how Kickstarter works. 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    waiting around hoping some people hop off the fence is just procrastination. If the fans want it, the fans need to make it happen, not the "I've been wondering if I'll like it" crowd.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I definitely agree.

You admit you have no interest in the game, so you have no idea if its a poorly executed kickstarter or not. Out of all the Kickstarters I've seen this one is the most responsive, well executed one to date. The main complaint "theres no playable demo!" is moronic, because there wouldn't be a playable demo BEFORE the game gets funding.

I think the loud and vocal minority pouncing on every opportunity to tell everyone why they don't want to see this project succeed actually helps CU's kickstarter more than hurts it.

It's kind of like those celebrities that do silly stuff all the time and get caught, because they actually want the attention whether it's good or bad. It gives them more publicity and public visibility.

The very people saying they want to see less posts about this game are actually helping it's cause. 

So thanks to all of you for helping out with this project, whether directly or indirectly. =)

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I have no idea why this game is being met with such fear and hostility from so many people.

No, they don't. TWO big projects to date have, most have just been concept art and some promises. And this game has shown off alpha footage.

Certainly true for Elite, which raised 2.2m USD on the back of concept art and the love of the original granddaddy of the space sim genre.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Certainly true for Elite, which raised 2.2m USD on the back of concept art and the love of the original granddaddy of the space sim genre.

And Torment which had nothing at the start. People are ok backing ideas. Some people seem to think backing an idea is crazy which is fine but I surely don't need to hear from them lol.

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235

I definitely agree.

[mod edit]

I suppose you'd prefer he spent his money on some fancy marketing professional.  A shiny website and some persuasive guy who could make you a bunch of false promises, maybe show you some fake cut-scene style videos or something.

Oh yeah, that would be much better than an honest guy who openly engages with his playerbase and discusses ideas.

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85

I read this guy is a millionaire -- why did he not work a little on preparing a small alpha then?

am I correct with my observation: this is no typical 'real' indie project, he does not even need the money, just does not want to spend his own first????

I definitely agree.

Poorly executed because they are using Kickstarter to KICKSTART a project? Honestly people are so blatantly retarded sometimes. Kickstarter is not designed for nearly finished projects to get a little bit more money for extra features. We should probably just completely stop responding to people like these two. Go spend your time in the forum of something you want to support, haters. 

I suppose you'd prefer he spent his money on some fancy marketing professional.  A shiny website and some persuasive guy who could make you a bunch of false promises, maybe show you some fake cut-scene style videos or something.

Oh yeah, that would be much better than an honest guy who openly engages with his playerbase and discusses ideas.

I wouldn't call word of mouth discussing something advertising though. He doesn't work for or get paid by the company he's encouraging support for.

If anything it's more referrals, like in finance when a client likes the service we provide, and refers us to another client. That client is considered to have referred us, not advertised for us (and believe me in our industry there is a huge difference in regulation for each)

Originally posted by bugmeno

I read this guy is a millionaire -- why did he not work a little on preparing a small alpha then?

am I correct with my observation: this is no typical 'real' indie project, he does not even need the money, just does not want to spend his own first????

You are not correct. First - you do not understand the term 'indie'. An indie developer is one who is not using a pusblisher. So yes, they are indie.

Second - why would he spend his money to create a game no one wants? This is the purpose of the Kickstarter, to see if people want this game.

You are not correct. First - you do not understand the term 'indie'. An indie developer is one who is not using a pusblisher. So yes, they are indie.

Second - why would he spend his money to create a game no one wants? This is the purpose of the Kickstarter, to see if people want this game.

but is this not what the "big bad publishers" do, spend their money on developing games first and taking the risk no one wants it?

you know the last games I bought were actually finished.

not against backing Ks projects, I backed a lot, but only to the ones who had no money and needed help but at least had an alpha to show

but is this not what the "big bad publishers" do, spend their money on games first and tsking the risk no one wants it?

not against backing Ks projects, I backed a lot, but only to the ones who had no money and needed help but at least had an alpha to show

Your last sentence is completely lacking in logic. How in the world could they build an alpha if they had no money.

but is this not what the "big bad publishers" do, spend their money on games first and tsking the risk no one wants it?

Your last sentence is completely lacking in logic. How in the world could they build an alpha if they had no money.

well check out the Divergence indiegogo project, this guy is a lonely person who worked a lot on it without earning anything! And the alpha looks awesome.

That is the real Kickstarter spirit to me, those are the kinds of projects I back.

It was clear the rich folks will infiltrate this KS platform sooner or later, begging for money so they don't need to invest their own

This discussion has been closed.