Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waiting Crowd - We need your $5!

Comments

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Originally posted by SmudgePudge
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I'm a fence sitter that is waiting until near the end to toss in some cash. Not really my style of game, but am willing to support new ideas.

But I'm also very busy, too lazy etc. to go through the bother of pledging unless it looks like it has a real shot at funding.

Ok so very interesting. See I think this is how Kickstarter projects get a bunch of money at the end. There must be a good number of people out there like you who are literally interested in new ideas and will support the ones that have a shot of funding.

Do you back a lot of Kickstarter projects? I've actually read a few posts by people who are calling it an addiction of sorts. They support all kinds of different projects.

It is probably the same thing you see with some people who do a lot of altruistic things. They get a feeling of having done something good and wortwhile, and that is the addiction. Given the people will back the kickstarters at least tangenitally related to the hobby they enjoy, in this case gaming, they might put in a few dollars here and there to "help out" the (aspiring) developer. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it helps both parties out in fact, I'm just proposing that might be the addiction-esque thing you could be referencing.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Drackious
    Anyone else put off that it will have a monthly sub that was a deal breaker for me espcailly because by the time the game comes out in 2015 i don't know how if ill have money to throw at a game like that to keep playing. 

I am okay with a sub MMO, if they can deliver everything they are proposing then I would put down a monthly sub for the game. F2P is good only if you can find a good model to use that works with your game. Too many hit or misses for the model still for them to try that.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    No PVE = No Money from me simple as that
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Toxia

Exactly what i posted moments ago. No effect. Shocking.

He's here, he's telling you he'd throw in some money to help, even though he isn't won over by the game.

This would be your chance to ask what he isn't interested in, and see if you can't shine a positive light on his negatives, maybe win him over.

No, it's, Why are you here?

So, when he gets up and leaves, leaving you no coin in your cup, this thread will have been so worth it.

You beat me to it. I was basically going to say the same thing. I think if there were folks on the fence before reading this thread, they aren't now after being brow beat here. I believe I will go buy me a coffee with my $5 now.

• SmudgePudgeSmudgePudge Member CommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    Originally posted by grvmpybear
    I think this Kickstarter needs to fail. I think CSE needs to spe.d some time to actually create something, THEN launch another Kickstarter.

I definitely agree.

I am just surprised so many people donated to a whim. If the CU management would have given more information, I may have thrown some money in to help out. But, since I have no interest in the game, it's hard for me to justify throwing my money at a poorly executed kickstarter.

I definitely would have given them money but I have no interest in the game...

Why facepalm? I thought I was clear. I said I would have given money just to help out. But, there isn't enough information for me to give to a game I am not interested in. Even if I am not interested in it, doesn't mean I wouldn't help. I just can't throw money at a promise...

So, um, why are you here? I mean, not to be rude, but you've already stated you have no interest in this game. Ok so maybe I can see lurking a bit to see what's going on but why are you specifically telling me that you have no interest in the game?

He's here, he's telling you he'd throw in some money to help, even though he isn't won over by the game.

This would be your chance to ask what he isn't interested in, and see if you can't shine a positive light on his negatives, maybe win him over.

So, when he gets up and leaves, leaving you no coin in your cup, this thread will have been so worth it.

I guess I should have made the title of this thread more clear. I wasn't looking to convince people this was worth $5. I was giving people who were thinking about waiting till the end a reason not to.

And, just like your post, he didn't ask to be convinced. He said he wasn't convinced. Thus bringing up the question of why post here.

So tell me - what would convince you to give money?

You beat me to it. I was basically going to say the same thing. I think if there were folks on the fence before reading this thread, they aren't now after being brow beat here. I believe I will go buy me a coffee with my $5 now.

There has literally only been 1 post from someone who said they were on the fence. So I have no idea what you are talking about.

That is something I see too unfortunately. Where other games its simply about reluctance to preorder and being told "Whatever then go away" it is fine since they can come back later and see how its developed or all the release information. This game needs those people to not be pushed away to help with funding. He even exclaimed he considered it solely because "Hey why not?" and gets atttacked. He was part of that waiting crowd, and unfortunately no longer is because so often the response is "Go away then" instead of going that extra mile and typing a few more lines to convince him or at least show him the kind of community he'd be playing with long term since most backers put in quite a bit of money and probably would be staying for a while. That would make me worry too about my longevity with the game.

As an aside, is that like...the Lexington UK?

Originally posted by bugmeno
    I´d probably buy the game when there are gameplay videos out and it looks like something i would play

Ok so I'm not troling - for real. I just have a question. You obviously know whether or not you like MMOs, and I'm guessing you do. CSE has said that this will be a Player vs. Player, Tri-Realm combat MMO only with no PvE leveling or loot drops.

For me, that pretty much defines the game. It certainly defines the genre and let's you know what kind of gameplay to expect.

What will a gameplay video tell you? I say that 100% seriously because I'm curious.

There has literally only been 1 post from someone who said they were on the fence. So I have no idea what you are talking about.

I said I would donate to help out if there was more information. I didn't specifically say "on the fence", but how do my statements differ? You should take time to read before replying...it really helps.

/facepalm

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

The point is you HAVE the money from people who are interested. They have Pledged already. They have pledged what they were comfortable with. You've won that fight. Now, you need to win over the ones who didn't find it worth their time. Basic business 101.

[mod edit]

Chasing the non believers off isn't your goal at this point in the KS. You want to win them over, get their money. That's my point.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

In this thread perhaps. He himself said he would give money because he wants to help, not even because he is interested in playing it. Instead he got attacked. In many threads people talk about being reluctant and give a reason why. Even if they do or don't they often get attacked, though I do see some CU backers being polite and respectful trying to nudge that donation out of them. However, it is often them pleading for more donations then attacking those that they say are worried about this or that (not referring to the ones asking for it to be in alpha/beta, usually confusion about design).

Originally posted by RandomDown

That is something I see too unfortunately. Where other games its simply about reluctance to preorder and being told "Whatever then go away" it is fine since they can come back later and see how its developed or all the release information. This game needs those people to not be pushed away to help with funding. He even exclaimed he considered it solely because "Hey why not?" and gets atttacked. He was part of that waiting crowd, and unfortunately no longer is because so often the response is "Go away then" instead of going that extra mile and typing a few more lines to convince him or at least show him the kind of community he'd be playing with long term since most backers put in quite a bit of money and probably would be staying for a while. That would make me worry too about my longevity with the game.

Yes Sir

Apparently when some people post "I'm not going to back this game" they think that I'm supposed to convince them otherwise. And if I don't try to politely convince them otherwise I'm telling them to go away.

If you aren't interested, you aren't interested. If you are interested but not sure, then say that and we can have a conversation about that like I'm actually doing with two people now.

I'm not specifically saying you are doing it. I'm pointing out that often I read someone speaking about how they are sort of interested in backing in but not quite ready yet, they ask something and they really do get told to go away. I have seen it several times unfortunately.

Also in regards to this post, since i suck at...foruming and cant figure out how to multiquote:

What will a gameplay video tell you? I say that 100% seriously because I'm curious.

A lot of people have questions on actual combat mechanics since that is going to be really all there is to the core game, and from my understanding that isn't hashed out yet, so that right there is an enormous turn off to some potential backers.

Edit: Neato, I graduated from there.

The point is you HAVE the money from people who are interested. They have Pledged already. They have pledged what they were comfortable with. You've won that fight. Now, you need to win over the ones who didn't find it worth their time. Basic business 101.

Goes alllll the way back to the bible. Jesus didn't walk around looking for people interested in him, he walked around looking for non believers to win over. Boom. Christianity has a bankroll bigger than bill gates portfolio.

Chasing the non believers off isn't your goal at this point in the KS. You want to win them over, get their money. That's my point.

Ok so why are you on the fence?

If you aren't interested, you aren't interested. If you are interested but not sure, then say that and we can have a conversation about that like I'm actually doing with two people now.

What part of "I am not interested, but would help the cause if there was more information" are having a problem understanding? It's simple really...

Anyway, I'm done with this. Good luck with the KS.

Apparently when some people post "I'm not going to back this game" they think that I'm supposed to convince them otherwise. And if I don't try to politely convince them otherwise I'm telling them to go away.

I'm not specifically saying you are doing it. I'm pointing out that often I read someone speaking about how they are sort of interested in backing in but not quite ready yet, they ask something and they really do get told to go away. I have seen it several times unfortunately.

Also in regards to this post, since i suck at...foruming and cant figure out how to multiquote:

A lot of people have questions on actual combat mechanics since that is going to be really all there is to the core game, and from my understanding that isn't hashed out yet, so that right there is an enormous turn off to some potential backers.

I 100% agree that there hasn't been much information about gameplay mechanics. I would be curious to know if there were specific gameplay mechanics that would turn people off though? I guess really the question is - what would make you NOT pledge money. I'm assuming that if you are even here and not trolling you are interested in the game. So really - what would CSE have to say to make you 100% not interested in the game.

That's probably a better question to ask.

I 100% agree that there hasn't been much information about gameplay mechanics. I would be curious to know if there were specific gameplay mechanics that would turn people off though? I guess really the question is - what would make you NOT pledge money. I'm assuming that if you are even here and not trolling you are interested in the game. So really - what would CSE have to say to make you 100% not interested in the game.

That it is that action combat stuff. I do not like it at all. Love me some tab targeting.

Edit: I also like a large possibility of skill interaction. I guess the best example is like the TSW system where "If X effect is present Y happens." Makes for some fun skill building.

What part of "I am not interested, but would help the cause if there was more information" are having a problem understanding? It's simple really...

Anyway, I'm done with this. Good luck with the KS.

Information isn't a quantifiable thing. You have to be more specific or no one - not even CSE is going to be able to help you.

What more information do you need?

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    This thread so far has around 100 or so replies and over 600 views. There may only be 1 post from someone identifying themselves as on the fence but clearly many more others who may also be on the fence are observing what happens. Honey, flies...You know the drill.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

That it is that action combat stuff. I do not like it at all. Love me some tab targeting.

Ah yeah - this one took me by surprise when it was brought up awhile ago. Lots of people really into the tab targeting. Well I can tell you that Mark Jacobs has specifically said that isn't taking tab targeting off the table. He also said that the game will NOT have tab targeting for every class though. He feels that tab targeting makes sense for some classes but is simply easymode on other classes.

I can certainly see how gameplay footage with help with this concern though.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by JasonJ
    Originally posted by Taldier

You do realize he wasnt fired or anything right?  He chose to leave, and he chose to create his own studio again.

These nonsense ad hominem attacks against him are really getting old.

You do realize that he left because Bioware was merged with Mythic and he wouldnt have a "lead" designer role anymore, in 2009...then suddenly, after several long years, creates a new company with no money to make anything.

Do you think for those 2+ years he wasnt trying to find a job? lol...these nonsense blind defenses of him are really getting old.

He's putting up $2 million of his own money. So yeah, I think it's probably reasonable to assume he didn't have to look for a job.

What were the jobs he failed at being hired for?

MJ is putting up 2 mil AFTER he closes the KS (and is funded) otherwise it is not worth his investment - very telling isn't it.

Edit: I also like a large possibility of skill interaction. I guess the best example is like the TSW system where "If X effect is present Y happens." Makes for some fun skill building.

I know exactly what you are saying. I've never played TSW so I don't know about that system but Dark Age of Camelot had an awesome combat system imo. A lot of skills were called styles - think sword moves. So some styles were 'Anytime' styles meaning you could use them anytime. Other styles had specific 'opening' criteria that had to be met. For instance, if a style had 'Block' as it's opening you could only use that style after you blocked. Other styles had positioning requirements - Side, back, front, etc. So you could only pull those styles off if you met the positional requirements. There were also chain styles where you could only pull a certain style off if a different style had just landed.

It made combat in DAoC very engaging and rewarding. Obviously since Mark Jacobs was the guy running Mythic who created DAoC I'm very much looking forward to more of this. And MJ has already confirmed that they are going to include 'skill based' combat.

• ChakulaChakula Member Posts: 12
    I'll donate don't worry. I'm waiting like i'm sure many others are.

Ah yeah - this one took me by surprise when it was brought up awhile ago. Lots of people really into the tab targeting. Well I can tell you that Mark Jacobs has specifically said that isn't taking tab targeting off the table. He also said that the game will NOT have tab targeting for every class though. He feels that tab targeting makes sense for some classes but is simply easymode on other classes.

I can certainly see how gameplay footage with help with this concern though.

Well I could see the non tab targeting classes being AE heavy and doing something like you see in a lot of MOBAs where you place the ground target yourself, since it really is way to easy to AE when its centered on your target.

Edit: Guess you were responding again while I was busy. Yeah we call those "reactives" =P. I don't mind those or positionals though I think a lot of people disliked positionals in DAoC (I played it for some time btw). In TSW it has to do with various effects, so you "hinder" someone and various skills gain secondary effects against targets that have "hinder" applied.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by JasonJ
    Originally posted by Taldier

You do realize he wasnt fired or anything right?  He chose to leave, and he chose to create his own studio again.

These nonsense ad hominem attacks against him are really getting old.

You do realize that he left because Bioware was merged with Mythic and he wouldnt have a "lead" designer role anymore, in 2009...then suddenly, after several long years, creates a new company with no money to make anything.

Do you think for those 2+ years he wasnt trying to find a job? lol...these nonsense blind defenses of him are really getting old.

He's putting up $2 million of his own money. So yeah, I think it's probably reasonable to assume he didn't have to look for a job.

What were the jobs he failed at being hired for?

MJ is putting up 2 mil AFTER he closes the KS (and is funded) otherwise it is not worth his investment - very telling isn't it.

To be fair, that is very sensible, if he needs 5m and can only raise 3m, why spend the 3 m knowing you can't complete you project and lose your money.

This discussion has been closed.