Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: Impressions

VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I'm not getting a lot of the story (I think the TV show should remedy that), but it does seem like it has a pretty decent foundation.

Some gripes:

-- Needs a much more varied quest structure. SO MANY games suffer from this. A solution? Make quests that are enjoyable WITHOUT any combat (I liked some of the time trials)

-- As a sniper at heart, I don't appreciate how 6-10 enemies spawn within 10meters every time I complete an objective.

-- A bit more lore would be appreciated, but again, I think the TV show will remedy this

-- Character customization is crap. Ridiculously limited

Some pluses

-- I like how you can run into events/missions as you ride around in your vehicle (only Dodge survives the war, apparently)

-- Pursuits are cool and some are even useful

-- Weapon progression seems decent and I can really tell the difference as I go along.

-- Buy-to-Play: Welcome to the future.

-- TV show adds something new and innovation is always appreciated.

Overall: I think the game is a *bit* lackluster at this point, BUT I do believe that this is LARGELY due to much of the story being tied to the TV show. However, this is TRION, so I expect them to provide the support the game needs to succeed.

It definitely has potential, but variety is the spice of life. I think it will get better as time goes on.

EDIT (4/16) Just watched the show. Seems pretty well done and I learned more from it than my 20ish hours playing.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Comments

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

Pretty good review. I am a little biased towards liking it now, since all of these trolls are hating on it so much, that and the fact that I am at 600 Ego power level, so I have had a lot of time to find a way to play it that I enjoy. 

Overall I agree with 90% of youtr imressions. The game does lack a lot of things, but the majority of what it is lacking can be added as we go along, and the nice things is that they can implement a lot of it in conjunction with the TV show to add story behind it all. 

I have heard a few people complain about a lack of story, and I guess this is the only part I have had to disagree with, but thatmight because I followed the game pretty hard for about 6 weeks before it's release and read a lot of information behind the game and the TV show, including shows like Faceoff where they did a Defiance one and talked to the creators of the show, and the making of Defiance, so I may have filled in any gaps without notcing it.

Not so nice guy!

• MMO-ManiacMMO-Maniac Member Posts: 176

I'm not a big shooter fan, first person or third.

But I am really enjoying Defiance.

The menu UI could use some work, but that's my only big gripe.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by MMO-Maniac

During the beta weekend I hated the UI, but a day ir two after release I was fliping through it with ease. I don't see it as being a problem that the developers should worry about right now, I would rather they work on server, and bug issues, and some more content. 

Not so nice guy!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by lordtwisted
    Originally posted by MMO-Maniac

During the beta weekend I hated the UI, but a day ir two after release I was fliping through it with ease. I don't see it as being a problem that the developers should worry about right now, I would rather they work on server, and bug issues, and some more content. 

Agreed.

The UI sucks, but once you get used to it it's adequately functional. Seems Trion ARE concentrating on fixing more important (i.e. broken and buggy) bits first, if the mega-patch patch notes are anything to go by :)

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Vorch

I'm not getting a lot of the story (I think the TV show should remedy that), but it does seem like it has a pretty decent foundation.

Some gripes:

-- Needs a much more varied quest structure. SO MANY games suffer from this. A solution? Make quests that are enjoyable WITHOUT any combat (I liked some of the time trials)

It doesn't matter what a company does, this same complaint happens every time.  I found a lot of varied quests.  There's very few fetch quests and literally zero 'kill x' quests.  You fix some things, find samples or all kinds, kill bosses, go on a story long epic quest to recover ark-tech, race vehicles, defeat waves of enemies, tons of side quests, main missions, story missions, shadow war stuff, pvp matchmaking, dynamic quests that involve clearing an area of raiders, 99ers, dark matter, hellbugs, and mutants, tons of rescue missions, and arkfalls.  That's just off the top of my head.  What else could you possibly want?  I bet you can't even answer that.

-- As a sniper at heart, I don't appreciate how 6-10 enemies spawn within 10meters every time I complete an objective.

I'm playing a sniper too.  And while it happens, it doesn't happen EVERY time.  Most of the time, you're just seeing them respawn.  Hey, since you're a sniper and you likely chose the cloak perk, why don't you just go invisible and get out of the area?  Snipers are supposed to keep on the move.  It actually fits a sniper MO, since if you stay in the same place too long, you're going to be found.  Does that not make sense?

-- A bit more lore would be appreciated, but again, I think the TV show will remedy this

There's a lot of lore.  Read the mission text and listen to your EGO.  Also, pay attention when doing main missions and episode missions.  There are also logs that you can find, unfotunately they are not easy to find.  I kind of feel like they should have been attached to quests and main missions, so that everyone would get all of the information.  Maybe this will be fixed in the future.  The show will certainly answer some questions, just understand that the game and the show are not taking place in the same location in the world.

I wouldn't say it's crap/  I think it's average for a MMO, at best.  I do wish there were some more hair, facial hair and accessories options available, but again, this may be fixed later.  Or they could release DLC content for it.

Some pluses

-- I like how you can run into events/missions as you ride around in your vehicle (only Dodge survives the war, apparently)

And Taco Bell

True, but a lot of people don't even know about them.  That's a UI problem, as all systems within the game should be shown to the player in some form or fasion.

-- Weapon progression seems decent and I can really tell the difference as I go along.

I think there are a lot of things that can be fixed here too.  There are no tooltips for the nano functions.  You don't know what the icons mean.  I bet a lot of people don't know about the synergy sets and how they work.  I only figured it out by watching a youtube video on it.  They really need to go over it with some polish, especially the PC version.

I hate cash shops.  But apparently others don't mind it.  You have to buy some of their content though, so I don't see much of a difference in this B2P model and a standard P2P model.

Hopefully.

Overall: I think the game is a *bit* lackluster at this point, BUT I do believe that this is LARGELY due to much of the story being tied to the TV show. However, this is TRION, so I expect them to provide the support the game needs to succeed.

It definitely has potential, but variety is the spice of life. I think it will get better as time goes on.

I think there are more obvious things that you could have mentioned.  Specifically the VOIP issues.  No push to talk.  No volume control.  Incredibly bad quality.  The chat functions being nearly broken.  Fast text fade.  Chat UI being hidden behind a ton of other screens.  The clan system that is non-existent.  The phasing and instancing in the game that breaks your group up during certain missions.  People using vehicles at arkfalls.  The UI being made for consoles, thus making it ugly and unintuitive for PC users.  No crafting system at all.  Just to name a bunch.

It has good combat.  Would it be nice to have a cover system?  Sure.  It works well though and I think they can fix and add enough content to make it a game that you can go back to.  

• MrG8MrG8 Member UncommonPosts: 111

Some gripes:

I agree, but is there ANY mmo today that has a good variety of quests? Sadly no... But I still like the action in Defiance so I dont mind it, the questing is more fun than in a lot of other MMOs..

Yes thats a problem as a sniper.. BUT I do think you simply need to play diffrent as a sniper in Defiance that you do as a sniper in many other games.. Would it be fun to have all enemies spawned from start where you just take cover in a bush... shoots everyone... move in and claim your reward? No... When the action starts and enemies spawn, you have to use your cloak (with perks that improves it.. damage.. duration etc..) and keep running to take cover.. And you have to have a close-range-weapon ready, you cant expect to eliminate a whole base with just a sniper-rifle.. and dont forget to use granades..

Yeha I guess the tv-serie will give you the lore you dont get in-game.. But use the internet to search for lore as well.. I do think they expect you to know some of the backround-story of defiance when you start the game.. Its more fun if you do however!

Yeha, but there's a lot of gear to wear that look diffrent from each other, I wouldnt say I see a lot of players that looks the same in-game..

Some pluses

Yes thats a simple way to make the game feel more alive!

Yes its a fund way to increase your EGO rating! And it makes you explore the world more that you might do otherwise, and the data recorders give you some lore too sometimes!

Yes you dont really feel the diffrence, but its nice to see you're improving with the weapon you're using anyway!

I dont know if I like it or hate it, in Defiance the store doesnt really matter.. I guess the outifts are the only things to buy in the store, all of the other items can be gained from the game, maybe not the boosts but they dont give you a lot of increased % anyway..

Yes I'm looking forward to watch the show, lets hope it'll last past the first season!

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    About character customization, I am posting this only for the ones who haven't realized so apologies if you already know it, but when you create your character there are a few extra tabs for face detaikls, hair etc, with sliders. Not perfect but I could create a few faces that weren't exactly 'template'
  • gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

I'm not getting a lot of the story (I think the TV show should remedy that), but it does seem like it has a pretty decent foundation. Some gripes:-- Needs a much more varied quest structure. SO MANY games suffer from this. A solution? Make quests that are enjoyable WITHOUT any combat (I liked some of the time trials)-- As a sniper at heart, I don't appreciate how 6-10 enemies spawn within 10meters every time I complete an objective.-- A bit more lore would be appreciated, but again, I think the TV show will remedy this-- Character customization is crap. Ridiculously limited Some pluses-- I like how you can run into events/missions as you ride around in your vehicle (only Dodge survives the war, apparently)-- Pursuits are cool and some are even useful-- Weapon progression seems decent and I can really tell the difference as I go along.-- Buy-to-Play: Welcome to the future.-- TV show adds something new and innovation is always appreciated.  Overall: I think the game is a *bit* lackluster at this point, BUT I do believe that this is LARGELY due to much of the story being tied to the TV show. However, this is TRION, so I expect them to provide the support the game needs to succeed.It definitely has potential, but variety is the spice of life. I think it will get better as time goes on.

All the years ive been here and playing MMOs I have never listened to what anyone had to say about a game but me. I am enjoying the game and so are many others, too sad people feel the need to attempt to crap all over that fun with their negativity. Simple: you dont like it, then dont play it.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by gamerman98

Some gripes:

Some pluses

All the years ive been here and playing MMOs I have never listened to what anyone had to say about a game but me. I am enjoying the game and so are many others, too sad people feel the need to attempt to crap all over that fun with their negativity. Simple: you dont like it, then dont play it.

This i a forum to talk about good and bad about the game. Don't confuse it with some fan site.

You can follow your own advice though and not bother reading if it hurts your sentiments in some way.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by muthax
    The only thing the hurts is knowing that even people like you have a right to vote. And that explains a lot of things about the way the world goes....

You mean people like me who are open minded to accept both good and bad about things in this world? 

You know i used to spend hours upon hours arguing with likes of you but then i discovered this thing called 'report' button. Now it takes care of un necssary personal attacks and flaming.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

My post about delayed patch was a simple inquiry because of rumor going around on official forums about new content being patched in.

But people wanted to read what they want to read just like how you decided to generalise everyone as 'yound adults with emotional problems' because they have negative things to say about Defiance.

Even tough OP was being civil and was giving his impressions about the game. But you as usual decided to attack him instead of sticking to discussion of the game.

I guess it is clear who has emotional problems here. But by all means please continue, you are not helping your case.

You won't hear from me again because even 'retalitation' is against TOS and i have no intention get a ban.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

Hmm I haven't said anything about OP, seems you like to read things how you want and how it suits your agenda. It's ok, just another one on the ignore list

Ah, just to clarify. I have no problems with people negative opinions of Defiance, I bet I have more than you. But people who start behaving like 3 years old, throw tantrums and start to say the game is doomed and it's FAIL because a patch hasn't come out when they imagined it should or simply because it's not a wow-style gear grind, well that's another matter entirely. 

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    I am having a blast with the game.  But I am only 122 hours in. =)
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by DMKano

I wonder if the OP missed all the extra customization tabs on character creation, they are quite easy to miss.

With those extra tabs, I was able to create a character to my liking, and I haven't seen my clone yet :)

I did see them. I still didn't quite get the level of character customization that I'm used to in most MMOs. It's not something that is gamebreaking by any means, but it does leave room for future improvement.

Originally posted by gamerman98

I thought my post was very level headed and I pointed out positives as well as negatives. Constructive criticism is what makes games better as time goes on.

Blind praise is just as bad (or worse) than destructive criticism.

In short: chillax, bro. Don't take things so personally, especially on the internet ;)

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Originally posted by DMKano I wonder if the OP missed all the extra customization tabs on character creation, they are quite easy to miss. With those extra tabs, I was able to create a character to my liking, and I haven't seen my clone yet :)I did see them. I still didn't quite get the level of character customization that I'm used to in most MMOs. It's not something that is gamebreaking by any means, but it does leave room for future improvement.  Originally posted by gamerman98 All the years ive been here and playing MMOs I have never listened to what anyone had to say about a game but me. I am enjoying the game and so are many others, too sad people feel the need to attempt to crap all over that fun with their negativity. Simple: you dont like it, then dont play it.
    I thought my post was very level headed and I pointed out positives as well as negatives. Constructive criticism is what makes games better as time goes on.

Blind praise is just as bad (or worse) than destructive criticism.

In short: chillax, bro. Don't take things so personally, especially on the internet ;)

i didnt take a thing you said personally, i just merely pointed out that im not one to follow anyones personal opinions of a game whether its good or bad. Yeah I am tired of everyone on here bashing games that have even a small bit of original innovation, but thats just me. You werent bashing, you were explaining your own opinion on the game and i was explaining why I don't pay attention to that stuff...its as simple as that basically lol