Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open PVP Gankfest or "PvP if you want to"

Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

As title implies:

Are you forced to PvP or can you play the entire game without PvP

Cheers

Comments

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    You can play the entire game without ever pvping. Pvp is entirely seperated from pve. Look up Angry Joe show's REview of Gw2 for everything you need to know. :D

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    there is zero PVP in the questing world.. it's 100% pvp when you want to

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

You don't need to touch PvP if you don't want to. PvE and PvP are kept completely seperate.

The 2 kinds of PvP available are Team based arenas similar to WoW's BG's where everyone is maxed to 80 and all skills are available. Alternatively you try the 3 way world v world similar to DAoC's type of PvP. Again everyone is buffed up to 80 but you only have the skills available to you that are available for your PvE level.

Both are instanced seperately from the PvE world, so you can just play the PvE game if that's what you want to do. It's not a gankfest at all. The PvE game is purely a co-op game.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    You can do PvE without ever touching PvP. The PvE can be quite enjoyable, but the PvP...at least to me... is horrendous. It is a giant zerg fest and quite bland, but maybe that is your cup of tea....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    As everyone has said, the PvP and PvE are seperate and you don't have to PvP if you don't wish to.  However, I never PvP'd until this game and now I love it!   I spend most of my time in Eternal Battlegrounds in the server versus server battles.   PVE all you wish but worth at least trying out the PvP part of the game.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    You can only PvP in SPvP or WvW.  You cannot get ganked in the open-world.
  • KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Short answer: no, you don't have to PvP in gw2 if you don't want to.

Longer answer: there are 3 "zones" of PvP in gw2.

Open world is strictly PvE cooperative. You can't attack anyone and you can't really do anything to grief someone in any way.

WvW world is quite big open-worldisk PvP area, where you fight over points in map. There are 3 factions based on your home server. You can't attack people of your own server. This is half PvE half PvP in my book.

sPvP is entirely PvP zone. Something like arenas or battlegrounds if you like. It's 2 teams one against the other, obviously you can't attack your teammates.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Athena_Starfire

As title implies:

Cheers

you can't play the "entire" game without PvP but you can play the essential majority of the game as PvE. There are a couple things that forces PvE completionists  into PvP zones.  Things like 100% map completion. There is a substantial amount of map points a person needs to do in WvW before they get 100% map completion and the rewards that comes from that.  A person doesn't NEED to do map completion, but PvE completionists might feel they need to.

PvE storyline never has PvP, and there is no OWPvP in the game.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

You don't need to touch PvP if you don't want to. PvE and PvP are kept completely seperate.

The 2 kinds of PvP available are Team based arenas similar to WoW's BG's where everyone is maxed to 80 and all skills are available. Alternatively you try the 3 way world v world similar to DAoC's type of PvP. Again everyone is buffed up to 80 but you only have the skills available to you that are available for your PvE level.

Both are instanced seperately from the PvE world, so you can just play the PvE game if that's what you want to do. It's not a gankfest at all. The PvE game is purely a co-op game.

The WvWvW is in no way shape or form anywhere close to what Dark Age of Camelot had to offer. The maps in GW2 are all the same, where as in DAoC all the frontiers were different. Also I can run across a pvp map in GW2 in 5 minutes, where as in DAoC you couldnt run through the whole frontier in 5 minutes with the fastest speed in the game. WvWvW was total garbage, RvR in DAoC is still the best pvp ever made. You never had to wait for Queue times in DAoC, all you had to do was run right out of your border keep, instead of this instanced crap that GW2 offers. After 12 and a half years, DAoC still holds the bar for all open world pvp games, nothing has ever come close since.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Vladamyre

The WvWvW is in no way shape or form anywhere close to what Dark Age of Camelot had to offer. The maps in GW2 are all the same, where as in DAoC all the frontiers were different. Also I can run across a pvp map in GW2 in 5 minutes, where as in DAoC you couldnt run through the whole frontier in 5 minutes with the fastest speed in the game. WvWvW was total garbage, RvR in DAoC is still the best pvp ever made. You never had to wait for Queue times in DAoC, all you had to do was run right out of your border keep, instead of this instanced crap that GW2 offers. After 12 and a half years, DAoC still holds the bar for all open world pvp games, nothing has ever come close since.

[mod edit] WvW consists of three servers fighting in four huge zones (not instances) that are running full weeklong battles for keeps, towers, supply camps, etc. It's open world PvP at it's finest. The fact that you chose to go to WvW makes it consentual PvP. The world is persistent and usually quite busy with Commanders leading their groups from place to place. Some really epic battles have broken out. (I still remember three way fights in Bay, outer gates and walls shattered as we defenders chaotically try for hours to hold the inner keep... ah, good times, good times.)

Oderint, dum metuant.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Grab a key for the free trial if you've the time to check it out. Everyone answered your question correctly though.
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by Athena_Starfire

As title implies:

Cheers

you can't play the "entire" game without PvP but you can play the essential majority of the game as PvE. There are a couple things that forces PvE completionists  into PvP zones.  Things like 100% map completion. There is a substantial amount of map points a person needs to do in WvW before they get 100% map completion and the rewards that comes from that.  A person doesn't NEED to do map completion, but PvE completionists might feel they need to.

PvE storyline never has PvP, and there is no OWPvP in the game.

THIS 

...AND if you want legendary (just a pretty skin/achivement) you gonna need 500 badges of Honor that ca only be get in the WvWvW (but you can get them by doing jumping puzzle with the occasional jerk camping the watterfal)

Sooooooooo i would say you can complete 99.8% of all PVE content without ever having to touch the pvp.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Originally posted by jskeets916
    Originally posted by Volkon

Sure its not instanced pvp, you jump through that portal and oh look, is that a loading screen? Darn, I've been waiting in queue for 20 minutes to get into WvWvW. Glad thats not instanced. I sure wish they didn't put a cap on how many people can go into the WvWvW zones...Also, the battlefield resets in 2 weeks, not with DAoC, you want your keeps back, take them back or they stay with the enemy. GW2, the instanced pvp game! Now on to DAoC. I feel like doing some RvR, lets go through the gate into my border keep, lets go through the other gate that leads to the frontier zones, oh look at that, no loading times, no queues, no cap on how many people are out here. Before you start calling someone a troll, better do some research on what you're talking about, instead of just tossing crap out here that you know nothing about.

[mod edit
    [mod edit]

Wow, it's running deep now. WvW is not instanced. It's zoned. There's a difference. An instance is like a dungeon, personal copies where parties go into that disappear when everyone leaves. Zones are simply that, persistent zones. When you leave the zone stays. Things change while you're gone. When you go back you see how things have changed. The WvW zones are persistent, open PvP. The only constraint is that you cannot kill members of your own server. How hard is it to grasp the difference between a zone and an instance?

Ah, here you go... Structured PvP in GW2, the eight vs eight pairings, those are instances. WvW, that's four zones. Does that help?

Here's another example of zones... Eve Online. Each star system, wormhole, etc. is a zone.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by jskeets916
    [mod edit]

You won't see me in the same zone as you if we're not in the same zone. Mind-shattering, eh? For example, I'm on Jade Quarry. Our match-up is against Blackgate and Sanctum of Rall. If you're not on JQ, BG or SoR you won't have access to these zones. If you're on a different server, you'll have access to the four zones for your match-up. These are, by definition, still zones. They're persistent areas that anyone can enter or leave whether or not they're in your party. I went and looked up the definition of an instance for you. Here's what I found:

"Special areas, generally in an MMORPG, where your group or raid party is able to interact with a location privately; that is, without interference from other players or parties."

Hopefully you can see the difference now between an instance and a zone.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

If World vs World was a instance there wouldn't be queues.

And the player cap is a minimum of 100vs100vs100 per each of the 4 zones.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Volkon

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Where to start here .....hmmm

1) I was a Hib .... I lost for three years straight ,that was a lot of fun

2) I didn't have to worry about a 20 minute queue .....myself and the other 7 Hibs could jump in and fight anytime we wanted

3) We could take a keep ... we just couldn't hold one overnight

4) We use to talk to each others buffbots that way we felt we had more friends

5) Shadowbane came out and the real pvp players went there ....can we say mez for a one key wonder

6) You're right about no cap ...see point 2 we spent our free time at the old finn tree

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Loading screens are NOT the same thing as instances. Not even close. Those confused about this may want to get their facts straight before trying to prove others wrong.

That said IF you want world completion, or if you want to get a legendary weapon legitimately (i.e. not buying one on the TP) you will, unfortunately, have to step into WvW. Furthermore, if you aren't on a server that knows how to regularly take keeps, it's going to be a long road to world completion. You basically need to visit every keep, tower, and vista in WvW, meaning you'll have to step foot in enemy territory (including their spawn keep). Now that servers have stabilized a bit, that's gunna take quite a bit longer than it used to.

That said, both World Completion & Legendaries are completely optional. They don't really give you anything, just prestige. Furthermore (and this is just my opinion), but currently most of the legendaries atm don't look nearly as good as some of the other exotics you can get.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Sum up of this post so far...

guy 1: Ambulance!

guy2: NO! emegency vehicle!

guy3: stupid ppl. clearly rescue transport!

guyN.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    @Op you ask a question many reply and help solve this question to your problem with pvp mixed with pve, at least comeback to forum and thank the replyers hehe
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi

Sum up of this post so far...

guy 1: Ambulance!

guy2: NO! emegency vehicle!

guy3: stupid ppl. clearly rescue transport!

guyN.

I thought it says ECNALUBMA

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower
    @Op you ask a question many reply and help solve this question to your problem with pvp mixed with pve, at least comeback to forum and thank the replyers hehe

I don't mind PvP as long as its kept FAR AWAY from me and I have the option to not have to prove 'how big my dick is" (considering I don't have one in the first place (female))

As long as it isn't an 'EVE'..

-----

I was in EVE and the second you left Hi-Sec space you got annialated because soemone was camping for that exact reason (to kill players). No 'Death Insurance' ...Game Over..

Have insurance, spend next 2 hours repurchasing ship, rearming...

Want outside Hi-Sec? Sure.. just become some corporate mining butt monkey ..so fun for $15 a month

"You have to adapt for you $15, you have to play OUR way or not at all" - I would rather not pay $15

-----

As long as it isnt a PVP server WoW

Enter game, Ut oh, Oppsite Faction Camped at spawn point, Game Over

----------

I guess I will see this weekend

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

Athena did you watch the Angry Joe review? You totally should. It's very informative.

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Originally posted by Maelzrael

Athena did you watch the Angry Joe review? You totally should. It's very informative.

I did, I LOVE the start of it, I wasted $15 a mont for 5 years on WoW. I'm just pretty much looking for a new drug..eer I mean game...with addictive qualities

I have enough trouble with monsters, I don't need it from other players.