Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on non-level bassed mmo's

OricyOricy Member UncommonPosts: 12

I personally don't enjoy the non level gaining mmos, i find myself bored and loosing interest in the game very fast.

So please let me know what your thoughts on this are.

Comments

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Honestly I don't mind a non level based mmo, mainly skill based or gear based, but it's really depending on the gameplay and features to me, the more things you can do in the game the funner it is.
  • OricyOricy Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by ucidaitaci
    Honestly I don't mind a non level based mmo, mainly skill based or gear based, but it's really depending on the gameplay and features to me, the more things you can do in the game the funner it is.

Yeah, I agree with you, as long as there is a lot of content it is just fine with me. The recent game that made me feel so against this was Defiance, I feel no motivation after completeing most of the story missions doing some pvp and "dungeons". I don't feel any motivation to get to max ego level.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by ucidaitaci

Id love to see a Non Level based MMO similar to Asheron's Call that way the entire world is your oyster instead of having to level up to go to different areas.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

i always hated level based games.

mobs should get harder cuz they are harder.  not cuz their numbers increase (then they're back to trivial once you grind your level up)

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

In an MMORPG there has to be some form of progression. Either the traditional levels, Gear leveling system where you progress through gear before being able to take next area up and so on (I guess u could say kinda like raid gear grind so u can do the next raid but in openworld), or leveling ur skills up to progress.

Without some kinda of progression people tend to loose motive on the game.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Think we need to estaablish what's meant by 'non-level based MMO/game' as even Asheron's Call had levels, it was just open progression in skills as you level.

Defiance too has leveling and progression, the impact is generally flatter though.

I stick to 'non-linear progression' as the preferred model. Meaning characters don't just grow more poweful as they progress, but instead they allow more variety and detail in options, letting you tailor characters to a high degree.

This is part of why I value the original Planetside's progression system.Even if the game didn't effectively enforce the concept, it was a solid basis for letting players create the roles they wished to fulfill.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Oricy

I personally don't enjoy the non level gaining mmos, i find myself bored and loosing interest in the game very fast.

So please let me know what your thoughts on this are.

Im bored with everytime lvl to 80 and end game. Kill 10 rats or 20 boars for years it all the same.

Maybe when you release game mmo with no lvls-xp and numbers its a freshwind blowing through mmo scene who knows?

Thats why i love dishonered no lvs or xp and is great solo game.