Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wonder if the whole spaceship travel aspect is a placeholder

13»

Comments

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

i know people hates collect apples 0/10 quests so this one is easier.

Find 1 space simulator which uses heroengine and bring it here.

Space sim which uses x,y,z coordinates.

Reward:200,000 exp.

edit:Ninja update ,exp reward bug fix

well, that one here,but never got released. But x,y,z flying around works in Hero. Why shouldn't it?

I really don't see a particular problem with space sim gameplay in Hero Engine.

http://youtu.be/Lt-Jk3TmodY

no exp,some demo,cant find anything about that project universe online at all either.

Why wouldnt it ,you may ask,if it would,wheres all space sims then ?

or whatever kind of flying games made by heroengine.

answer might be really simple,it uses too much resources when used for that perhaps,coding is not easy to use for that.

theres absolutely nothing out there,except 1 demo it seems.

Let's internet

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

well, that one here,but never got released. But x,y,z flying around works in Hero. Why shouldn't it?

no exp,some demo,cant find anything about that project universe online at all either.

answer might be really simple,it uses too much resources when used for that perhaps,coding is not easy to use for that.

news@11 there are no real space sim MMOs neither in Hero engine or any other engine, except EvE and that engine is done by CCP in house.

Show ANY MMO space sim gameplay. And I mean MMO space sim, not a quick match instance shoot'em up like Moonbreakers  or that lobby game Star Conflict, which isn't a real space sim MMO either.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

I posted the demo earlier as well.

Your question is kind of silly. SWTOR is the only MMO released on the Hero Engine. Repopulation is next. The engine is new.

Originally posted by tiefighter25

I posted the demo earlier as well.

Your question is kind of silly. SWTOR is the only MMO released on the Hero Engine. Repopulation is next. The engine is new.

The engine is new.

Faxion online allready shut down and Dominus not doing really well it seems.

HeroEngine

<p relarticle="" mainarticle"="">Main article: HeroEngine

HeroEngine is a 3D game engine and server technology platform developed specifically for building MMO-style games, based around a system similar to the IFE using the Hero Script Language (HSL). Originally developed for the company's own game Hero's Journey, the engine has since been licensed by other companies. Simutronics sold the HeroEngine to Idea Fabrik, Plc. on August 5, 2010.[1]

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/174

if that doesnt say anything then it doesnt.

Let's internet

news@11 there are no real space sim MMOs neither in Hero engine or any other engine, except EvE and that engine is done by CCP in house.

Show ANY MMO space sim gameplay. And I mean MMO space sim, not a quick match instance shoot'em up like Moonbreakers  or that lobby game Star Conflict, which isn't a real space sim MMO either.

i think you got it.

Let's internet

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

i think you got it.

Anhd EVE is not a space sim anyway

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

i think you got it.

EvE is very much a space sim, just not a joystick controlled twitch space sim 

The Return of ELITE !

i think you got it.

OK... limited SIM then....

Edit: I actually sub EVE...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

i think you got it.

No you are originally correct, Eve is a space strat, not a space sim.

Sim means it would be a simulator. Considering that you are not directly driving the ship, but instead telling it were to go from an external view, it is not a simulator.

Eve is way more strategy than driving, anyday.

If Eve is considered a space sim, then technically Defiance and APB will also be survival sim/gunsim too - bu they are not.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Honestly, they way they couldn't handle the engine, it may have been a great idea they wanted to do, but because of said engine and their pride, they failed at it.  It may have been something to add post release, but the game died so...
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

i think you got it.

Sim means it would be a simulator. Considering that you are not directly driving the ship, but instead telling it were to go from an external view, it is not a simulator.

If Eve is considered a space sim, then technically Defiance and APB will also be survival sim/gunsim too - bu they are not.

That's what I really thought having priviledge to try it... it does not feel like a sim at all.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

i think you got it.

That's what I really thought having priviledge to try it... it does not feel like a sim at all.

CCP said their goal is to create the ultimate sci-fi simulator in the future.

The rest is up to interpretation.

I still consider EvE as a simulation of your character, trading, travelling and fighting, in space.

Enough to call it a space sim? Who knows.

The Return of ELITE !

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Eve is easily a simulation in the way that SimCity is a simulation of city development and life.

Eve is not (yet anyway!) a simulation in the way that Flight Simulator is a simulation of flying an aircraft.

Which leads on to whether SWTOR is a simulation of the Star Wars experience? And I suspect different people will give different answers; it will depend on what they are looking for in the game.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

why? because it feels unfinished and clunky, not thought through, everything about it

- clicking on the spacecraft door to leave a planet?

- clicking on the spacecraft door to land on a planet?

- you don't even see the ship through the green instance door

but there are some hints what they are planning.

I found out the ship geometry is actually leaving the hangar, you see it when you hit escape after clicking the door

My impression is this is all a placeholder and in the future we will actually get into fully customizable ships and fly them out manually into space

Ah, incredible, what bother some people .... :-)

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

In my opinion, a lot of swtor players simply wanted SWG back without the CU/NGE....because despite it's issues, it was all about actually feeling like you were living in the star wars universe...SWG was a full blown virtual world where the game wasn't built to cater to just one or two types of MMO players...it was built for all, even if you weren't a sci-fi or star wars fan....SWG had something for everyone....combat, roleplay, twich based space fighting, cities with elections and building your own player run cities (for those who like sim-city style of mmo's), harvesting, dungeon running...so on and so on.  The downfall of SWG was simple....SOE let the creator go and the remaining dev team had no clue on the vision that creator had and so they didn't have a good understanding of how to continue to make things work for SWG....so they reverted back to their old developing expertise....WOW cloning!   Hence the CU/NGE changes that doomed SWG.   

FYI, it's not that people dislike WOW clones....SWG failed after the change because the game was 100% changed into another MMO....Personally I left SWG becuase it was changed into a game that was 100% different than what I first subscribed to...I never was a WOW fan and didn't like the fact that the freedom I had in playing SWG was taken away and  forced me to develop my character in a predefined way....that took away that feeling of living in a virtual star wars universe...because the pitch was "Make your own destiny"....but now it was like "here is your destiny choices, choose one".

Then comes SWTOR....people were starving for a new SWG and had it in their minds that SWTOR would be an improved SWG....then we all quickly found out that we just got KOTOR online instead of a full blown MMO that feels like a virtual star wars world.   We still see people wanting full blown twitch-based space sim and sandbox style gameplay for SWTOR....people keep digging and building their own perception of game mechanics and think it's a placeholder for something more player friendly and in our control....

Sorrry, none of that is gonna happen in SWTOR....you'll just get the same types of expansions like ROTHC....which is take the end-game and stretch it out over a few more levels....then move level 50 stuff to level 55 and add 5% new content (such as a planet and a small extended story line), charge $10-$20 and call it an expansion.   So the next expansion will just take the level 55 stuff, move it to level 60, reskin armors and change their names adn then move those armors away from level 55 and put them at 60...then add another planet or instance which is likely gonna be a complete clone of something already in the game....then charge another $20 for it.

The ironic thing here is that if you already sub to the game, they are actually taking content away that you already pay for and placing it at 55 and asking you to pay extra to get it back.   

So for those thinking they will add a full blown addon to the game that gives you anything remotely close to what SWG gave us, get over it....the only way we will get that is when a brand new Star Wars MMO is made by a company that has some expertise and commone sense in producing MMO's....BW and EA have no clue what MMO's are about as proved in the interviews about SWTOR lately....to openly admit that the lead designer had no clue that players would burn through content 10 times faster than they'd expected just shows that they are not qualified to make a proper MMO....and if you look closely, the game is slowly goin the route to try and force players to sub and mechanics are being changed to make players take more time to do or achieve things....so if anything, this is one major reason why SWTOR will not give us anything related to a sandbox style of play.

What SWTOR is not!

SWG...nothing in swtor compares even close to what swg was.

What SWTOR is!

KOTOR with a multiplayer option to play online with others

So if you played KOTOR  1 & 2, you would have realized that everything about SWTOR is exactly the same as those games....those games where all about a single player perspective going through a pre-defined story and every thing else was just small side-quests.   Pazaak, space fights, swoop racing...it was all just mini-games and that's all SWTOR will ever give us...at least it certainly seems that's how this game will evolve in the future.  I don't see anything about the game or hear anything the developers are saying that would make me think we will get anything more than what we already have in SWTOR.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    I recall someone saying that flying in space isnt very heroic.. therfore no reason to be in the game
  • tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by aleos
    I recall someone saying that flying in space isnt very heroic.. therfore no reason to be in the game

They also said that ganging up on 1 huge monster isnt heroic.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Oh is that the yardstick, Heroic?

I guess simple and heroic are now synonyms.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

Well luke flying in and blowing up the death star when all others failed....wasn't that heroic?

When Han outran the empire and hide in the astoriod field to save from being captured, tortured and possibly even killed....huh heroic?

When Lando flew the M.Falcon into the death star while evading imperials....uhm, very heroic right?

When the whole rebel fleet surrounded the death star at endor....every pilot in that battle was very heroic right?

So whomever said flying in space wasn't heroric needs to be slapped in the face for a wake up call...and if it were a dev, they need to be fired.

Originally posted by Davynelord

Well luke flying in and blowing up the death star when all others failed....wasn't that heroic?

When Han outran the empire and hide in the astoriod field to save from being captured, tortured and possibly even killed....huh heroic?

When Lando flew the M.Falcon into the death star while evading imperials....uhm, very heroic right?

When the whole rebel fleet surrounded the death star at endor....every pilot in that battle was very heroic right?

So whomever said flying in space wasn't heroric needs to be slapped in the face for a wake up call...and if it were a dev, they need to be fired.

..and don't forget Luke jumping out of hyperspace, approaching Dagobah, scanning for lifeforms, flying through the planets atmosphere and crash in a swamp. Also not heroic.

The heroic version is the one with Luke clicking a spaceship door to land on Dagobah.

The Return of ELITE !

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Davynelord

..and don't forget Luke jumping out of hyperspace, approaching Dagobah, scanning for lifeforms, flying through the planets atmosphere and crash in a swamp. Also not heroic.

The heroic version is the one with Luke clicking a spaceship door to land on Dagobah.

Those who choose to click the exit door and appear on the planet surface get a cheaper insurance rate.

An acceptible solution to real planets, atmospheric flight, combined with space flight qould be to use Infinity.  But that is apparently too high tech for Star Wars these days :/  But I think a procedural engine would make for a great sandbox.  Imagine ultra fast vehicles, allowable because devs don't need to worry about someone crossing an entire SWTOR zone in 10 seconds...

Infinity: The Quest for Earth Pre-Alpha Tech Demo Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spVypYk4kto

Of course it wouldn't be a proper flight discussion without that link ....

edit: [ longer full length space sim video of Infinity here for those interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrcEUO7TC28 ]

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.