Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Age of Wushu really as good as its hyped to be?

LeaningKidGokuLeaningKidGoku Member Posts: 41
I'm not trying to down the game, I was just thinking about playing it, but as the title says is the game really as good as its hyped up to be. I seen only little gameplay of the game but I was just asking for someone else's say on this topic?

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

IMO no.  Now I really didn't try it very long, about 2 days.  Virtually every one looks identical, very feminine with long hair (seriously almost completely identical). Graphics were a bit grainy, standard quest system.  I could look at my map click on the quest giver and my character would run to them.

Fighting seemed ok, the particular way you could learn skills could have been interesting but in that time I didn't get very far, not far enough to really learn it.

Gameplay may be greater than graphics but if the graphics bug me I can't play it.  The graphics bugged me. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    played for several weeks over the course of beta.. my advice just try it yourself.. its free to try so i'd make your own opinion on it than let others justify why or why not they like it.. me personally find I have far more issues with it that overall don't outweigh the good

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I'm not sure it was that hyped for there to be a huge expectation from the game.. maybe I just didn't pay attention.  I didn't care for it, but a lot of people here are saying you really need to get into the game before it gets fun.  I mean, I hear that about pretty much every game in existence, but still, that's what they're saying.  It's free, no harm in giving it a try.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

As hyped by whom?  The publisher's marketing department?  Of course not; hardly anything is ever as good as advertised.

As hyped by random forum members here?  Probably, since there isn't much hype, so it isn't a high bar to clear.

• wfsaxtonwfsaxton Member UncommonPosts: 73

I played it for two months and just recently sold my account.

It's definitely an interesting game.  Lots of new things I've never seen in an MMO (spying on schools, script stealing, no pve leveling, etc).  The combat was kind of clunky and is more tactics than twitch.  Server lag could be an issue at times.

The reason I quit, though, was because I had to dedicate 1-2 hours of my day doing my daily chores: Running 5 spy missions (at least an hour), 2 Team practices (30 minutes), setting up my stall on my alt (have to refresh it every 4 hours).  You have to run the spy missions to get the money necessary for crafting (along with getting ceritificates necessary to level high level skills).  You have to do the Team practice every day because that is the absolute best way to 'level' your character.   After a while, both just become a chore.

I also had to fight for stall time in the main city.  I sometimes had to spend 15 minutes trying to set up a stall and timing it for when someone gave up their slot because there were only a certain number of slots available.

The only truly outstanding part of the game is the script stealing.  It really gets your heart racing and its one of the most fun things I've done in an MMO.

The crafting is okay and I like how a lot of it is random.  Unfortunately it takes 2 months to become a max level crafter and its hard to compete until then.  Still, I did well playing the market, making lesser crafting comps and buying/selling stuff.  I really like how the game had buy orders.

If you are going to try it though, you should really put a solid month into it with a VIP account.  If you don't have VIP, then you can only play an hour a day, you don't gain cultivation (exp) while you are offline, etc.  You are really gimping yourself.  Live a little: spend the $10 and see how you like it.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't like to go in circles with ifs and may bees,i get right to the point.NO it is not worth your time or effort,it is extremely generic and boring.I was more unhappy i took the time to d/l it.i do have a bandwidth limit on my internet.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by wfsaxton

I played it for two months and just recently sold my account.

It's definitely an interesting game.  Lots of new things I've never seen in an MMO (spying on schools, script stealing, no pve leveling, etc).  The combat was kind of clunky and is more tactics than twitch.  Server lag could be an issue at times.

The reason I quit, though, was because I had to dedicate 1-2 hours of my day doing my daily chores: Running 5 spy missions (at least an hour), 2 Team practices (30 minutes), setting up my stall on my alt (have to refresh it every 4 hours).  You have to run the spy missions to get the money necessary for crafting (along with getting ceritificates necessary to level high level skills).  You have to do the Team practice every day because that is the absolute best way to 'level' your character.   After a while, both just become a chore.

I also had to fight for stall time in the main city.  I sometimes had to spend 15 minutes trying to set up a stall and timing it for when someone gave up their slot because there were only a certain number of slots available.

The only truly outstanding part of the game is the script stealing.  It really gets your heart racing and its one of the most fun things I've done in an MMO.

The crafting is okay and I like how a lot of it is random.  Unfortunately it takes 2 months to become a max level crafter and its hard to compete until then.  Still, I did well playing the market, making lesser crafting comps and buying/selling stuff.  I really like how the game had buy orders.

If you are going to try it though, you should really put a solid month into it with a VIP account.  If you don't have VIP, then you can only play an hour a day, you don't gain cultivation (exp) while you are offline, etc.  You are really gimping yourself.  Live a little: spend the $10 and see how you like it.

that was a beta restriction.. doesn't apply now

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

It's not good really in the sense of polish or overal presentation. The game feels clunky, the translation is medicore and the game barley explains itself.Visually, while may look prety on screens it has rather ismple graphics and nothing really fancy (like the small plants that move when you runt hrough them are justf lat textures...which makes them looks really silly because they fold like paper). 

What AoW has hwoever is some unique ideas. The whole offline presence, the schools competing with eachother, the leveling system, the rock-paper-scissors combat system (hits, parrys and feints), jumping skills, criminal system ... It's all good groundwork I wish some western dev would get inspired by. I'd love to see a MMO like AoW... just smoother, more polished, with better flow and better adjusted for western audience. 

Originally posted by Aerowyn

that was a beta restriction.. doesn't apply now

Ah, yeah forgot about that. 

Still, offline cultivation is a big deal, along with setting up offline stalls.

I also forgot, kidnapping offline players wass fun and interesting...at least it was in the beginning but, again, it became kind of a chore.  Great way to make money in the beginning though.  Also got my heart-pumping when I didn't know what I was doing.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Not worth the time. Generic and grindy, and it definitely pushes you towards buying gold to convert to the in game currency, otherwise, it will take even LONGER to advance your toon, which will take a long time anyway. And the crafting grind is insane, to work up your skills. This game is fine if you want a part time job, otherwise, not so much. AoW is clearly not aimed at a Western audience.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by LeaningKidGoku
    I'm not trying to down the game, I was just thinking about playing it, but as the title says is the game really as good as its hyped up to be. I seen only little gameplay of the game but I was just asking for someone else's say on this topic?

Nothing is ever as good as advertised. That is the whole purpose of advertising. They show you the good parts and hide the bad ones.

However, i gave Wushu one full week before i gave up. I just couldn't get pass the clunky animations.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

I played the beta for a few days and well one thing i found out fast is that it is not in FACT a sandbox MMo by any means what so ever.  The first 4 hours of gameplay is basically watching your character in travel mode going from NPC to NPC collection quests and killing 10 of mob type, while learning the game basics.

It Bored me to death frankly, I only had interest in AoW due to its claim of being a sandbox mmo based in an Asian martial arts lore world. 

The world is very attractive so are character animations, skill movements so on, but it all comes down to a tab target quest driven mmo for me and thats what i try to stay away from.  If i was you i would pass on downloading the game, unless you have time to kill, this advice comes just based on it not being a Sandbox.

• geelgeel Member UncommonPosts: 93

Ppl who call this generic and standard quest game did not play this.

It involves doing a lot of quests/events that involve player interaction and pvp.

That alone means it's not a generic game. I liked the game very much but played

on USA servers as european. My ping was not very good and the combat is just

really bad, perhaps due to lag. So I eventually gave up on the game. But the system

is really really good imho. For a f2p its definitely good. 

But if you do try it, try untill you kind of see what it's all about. Because the first hours

you will just be clicking quest npc names to autopath and just run around a bit.

Af ter that when you joined a school and you've done all the guide quests it gets

a LOT better.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Not worth the time. Generic and grindy, and it definitely pushes you towards buying gold to convert to the in game currency, otherwise, it will take even LONGER to advance your toon, which will take a long time anyway. And the crafting grind is insane, to work up your skills. This game is fine if you want a part time job, otherwise, not so much. AoW is clearly not aimed at a Western audience.

Most martial arts MMOs in an Asian setting aren't geared for Western audiences.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

The thing I have to say is that I think a lot of people that say that they don't like it were like me and only played it for like 2 days. I am one of those people who doesn't really have time to put a massive amount of my time into a game before it gets fun. If it's not fun from the start then I move on to try and find another game. If you do have the time though from what I've seen this game can get fun, and you should give it a chance.

Those commenting though who only played for  2-5 days saying it's not fun and generic it really doesn't sound like you gave it a very strong try. I say this because even with the 2 days that I played AoW I never once thought it was generic. The combat was extremely fun to me and the way you leveled up skills and obtained other skills was very unique. Put that into consideration (or not).

Smile

Sorry, but you cannot just play this game for 2 days.  The beginning tutorial sucks and you basically autopath your way through it but, once that part is done, you can start participating in the other stuff and it gets more fun.

• cochscochs Member UncommonPosts: 92

If you were hoping for an open ended sandbox game, you will most likely be disappointed.   For the average player it's going to be a lot more grind then sandbox.  It's definitely not even in the same ballpark as something like Eve.

It's also just not a polished game in the sense of what most of us in the west have come to expect.  They don't even use native speakers to handle their translation for example, which is why their translations universally suck.  The gold spammers are everywhere, and they don't care.  There isn't even a way to report them.  Global chat is literally unusable because of spammers.

Asian companies still have a lot to learn about making a game that most westerners will want to play.  There are very big differences between what's acceptable in the asian/western market, and it shows in this game.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Still, offline cultivation is a big deal, along with setting up offline stalls.

as a non VIP i think we should have at least a few hours of offline stalls. As for offline cultivation, i liked offline cultivation when i got the beta founder vip, but not being vip anymore i dont mind not having offline cultivation. I can just log in and let my character cultivate at home while i got to school or work or whatever, so its not really a big deal.

Other than that im really enjoying the slow pace of the game with no hand holdings at all. I like it. Freshest mmo so far.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    If your not looking for a pvp game stay away. The pve in this game is terrible. There is a lot more for you if your looking for pvp but even there, there will be a lot of inballance due to the skill system. It is free so try it!!!
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

On content side Wushu is freaking awesome.

Gamplay & UI are dated and it feels like regular chinese F2P MMORPG.

Kinda sucks because there's so much content in it.

• MolotovsMolotovs Member UncommonPosts: 12
    the game is way too asian if you know what i mean.....yea it has its own little features but its still your standard grindy, gold farmer infested, poorly translated mmo with a cash shop i have not even bothered to look into. not my style.
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Nope.
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    played for several weeks over the course of beta.. my advice just try it yourself.. its free to try so i'd make your own opinion on it than let others justify why or why not they like it.. me personally find I have far more issues with it that overall don't outweigh the good

Well.. usually a good advice.. but not all ppl have that much time to try out any decent game around. Time is money, and i dont have unlimited on hands now a days. So i usually try to invest a few hours(or less) for some research before i start to download and start to play it. With just a few hours playing your really cant do any mmo justice.

So if you would eloborate your experience would be interesting.. not just for the thread starter.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I have not played/tried for a reason: it looks like 1 more Asian f2p to me.
    I found my best one to play (free) and don't need to look for any other same style game.

graphic is not that great either (from screenshots and youtube).

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2