Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$59:99 to preorder DnL? WTF!!

13»

Comments

• stephen_sofstephen_sof Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 388

the prices is not microsoft its mostly EA leading the way and other publishers saying hey maybe they can do it also.. microsoft doesn't make prices of the games the publishers do

"It's the darkness that brings us power"

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

WRong, They add a price to each game... for each call of duty 2 sells for xbox360 microsoft would get money. On how much microsoft decided it cost to put a game on xbox360... I don't know.

like I said before pc Call of duty 2 = 49.99   xbox360= 59.99

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by stephen_sof

the prices is not microsoft its mostly EA leading the way and other publishers saying hey maybe they can do it also.. microsoft doesn't make prices of the games the publishers do

true

but for the xbox360, Microsoft really is fixing the price that way. No one else. There are games coming out on the PC same time as xbox360. PC game is 49.99. XBOX360 is 59.99

Normally, it is the publishers that fixes the price. But not this time. Ol Billy has his eyes towards dem golden mines.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Personally, I can admire someone who sticks to their guns. If you set yourself a limit of $50 for games, and stick to it, that's a good thing. Like En1Gma said, the price will ALWAYS come down eventually and if he can wait, stand by his convictions, and buy the game when it meets his criteria... he is someone to be respected for that, not mocked.

Looking over the list of things you get when you pre-order DnL actually concerns me a bit. Did I read it correctly that if you are one of 8,881 people to pre-order you get to keep everything your SoG character has accumulated? It seems they give you things that will keep you ahead of everyone else forever, not including free mounts and a teleportation system. I'm not sure having over 8k people being elite is going to make the game very palatable for anyone who isn't one of those 8k or so. DnL might end up having ONLY 8,881 people playing if they give too much to the pre-order people! ::::35::

I think I can't really put the game down too much as I've not even played the prelude yet. Who knows? I might get addicted and HAVE to have it. I'm not as disciplined as En1gma and sometimes make rather impulsive buys... usually I regret it afterwards, too. I love what I hear about the game, but playing is the only certain way to gauge it. Hearing from people who have played and who have my respect about games will definitely be a huge help, too.

• NullapaxNullapax Member Posts: 401

Originally posted by Signe
    Did I read it correctly that if you are one of 8,881 people to pre-order you get to keep everything your SoG character has accumulated?

No. Just that characters money, and there will probably be a limit cap to that as well I suspect.
    The free Dragon is an "Exclusive" Dragon and so will be gimped so as not to be un-balancing to the game.

Even so the opportunity for scams and exploiting are vast and it could well turn out that from day one DnL has an Elite core of players who will be able to make life a misery for newcomers.

I hope the DnL devs know what they are doing - - - I really do ::::15::

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by En1Gma
    Originally posted by Devalon
    How can $60 be to much for a pre order? Even though PC hasnt gotten the price raise... I heard that Xbox 360 are going to have $60 price... They are $55 now... And this is not for a pre order with bonuses! I've been following this game for three years now
    My comment is not directed to this game whatsoever:
    I will never buy a game that is 60 bucks. Never. I dont care how hyped the game is or how revolutionary the game is and how graphically break through the game is.I will not follow the trend of the xbox360. The only reason why Xbox360 games are 60 bucks now is because of the novelty of it. After a few months, itll drop. Also, not to mention, Bill Gates is the greediest man on the planet (second from George Lucas) and if Gates thinks people will buy ridicously high priced games, then he will do it (and people will buy them).The highest Ill go is 49.99 before tax. One penny more and it stays on the shelves. I like games, but I dont need any game and I certainly can wait until the price goes down.
    Like I said, this isnt directed against DnL. Its just my opinion on ANY video game.

Same
    Matter of fact I'll go you one better:
    I haven't ever (and won't) pay more than $40.00 for a game ever again. Nor will I ever buy a game at, or before, it's released. Nor will I ever buy a MMO game before a free *retail* trial is released so that I can try the game before deciding. And even then I won't buy it if it's over $40.00. If a game releases costing more than $40 I won't buy it till the price drops.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

Thanks for the info, Nullapax. Sometimes I just can't figure out what the DnL team is trying to tell me! ::::31::

I hope they know what they're doing, too. It would be a shame for it to go horribly wrong after they've been working on it for so long.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

Originally posted by En1Gma
    Originally posted by stephen_sof
    true
    but for the xbox360, Microsoft really is fixing the price that way. No one else. There are games coming out on the PC same time as xbox360. PC game is 49.99. XBOX360 is 59.99
    Normally, it is the publishers that fixes the price. But not this time. Ol Billy has his eyes towards dem golden mines.

i could be mistaken but wasn't the old Nintendo and sega games well over $60 at one point? i would pay more for a game if there wasn't anything els on the market that compares to it.

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

I remember Nintendo games being really expensive too, Angerr. Something like $80 USD for some, I think. I remember really, really wanting some of them and being young enough not to be able to afford them immediately. Now that I can afford to buy things when I want them, I'm way more careful with my money. Sheesh... life is strange.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

PS2 games are slated to cost $75 each.  The reason the console version is more expensive then the PC version is because of the specific embedding inside consoles, and the extra cost to write the game in that embedding.  This is why there hasnt been a successful PS2 emulator that can play PS2 games yet. 

Also the XBOX 360 to my knowledge will be using a specific type of DVD disk, while most PC games are written in CD's to be more universal.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by Signe
    I remember Nintendo games being really expensive too, Angerr. Something like $80 USD for some, I think. I remember really, really wanting some of them and being young enough not to be able to afford them immediately. Now that I can afford to buy things when I want them, I'm way more careful with my money. Sheesh... life is strange.

hehe I remember paying 80 bucks for Final Fantasy 3, and 70 bucks for Mortal Kombat 3 I think it was for SNES. Game price really isn't an issue for me. It's the quality of the game. i.e I don't mind paying 60 bucks for a RPG because I know i'll get my money's worth out of it. Now if I bought a 2 maybe 3 hour game like Max Payne for 60 bucks I'd be pissed.

I'd be pissed about Half Life 2 if it wasn't for all the replay I got out of Counter Strike:Source. Half Life 2 was way over-rate imho. But that's another matter ::::07::

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.