Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Progress Discussion

Comments

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I think people who are interested in donating small amounts like $25, 30, or 50 are mostly waiting until the very end either because they don't understand Kickstarter only charges if the project funds, they are waiting for a specific piece of information that Mark hasn't given yet, or they only want to donate if the Kickstarter gets close to funding but is a bit short on the final day. Maybe alpha access or other additional rewards would firm up their commitment at the end but it's unlikely to bring a flood of new donations right now.

Or people are willing to provide a small donation closer in value to the actual cost of purchasing the game, instead of larger sums of money to obtain early access/cosmetic/perks.

I personally have no desire to be anywhere near alpha testing, and limited desire to be a part of beta testing. I love the philosophies so far, but games like WAR also sounded great in theory during the design and early implementation phases. Would people have dropped $110 for WAR pre-alpha back then? I imagine they might have, which is fine, but I doubt most would have been happy with their ultimate investment.

• chrissreefchrissreef Member Posts: 24

@ MJ

Are FP transferable? I would like to buy FP only with a separate CC and redeem with my main acct.

Not sure how to do that with KS - if it's even possible...

• Originally posted by boxsnd
    The problem is CSE think people want "rewards" which is false. People want to play it as soon as possible first, and rewards second. The tiers below $110 are very unpopular because they will let us play in 2015 while all the alpha testers will play in 2014. I was extremely excited for CU but I can't afford $110 and the cheaper tiers don't offer alpha access which is the #1 thing I want. So CSE will get $0 from me when they could have easily get $25-30 if they did it right.

Speak for yourself, I want rewards and fully understand I won't be playing the game for a while.

• DocmanduDocmandu Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Medwynd
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    The problem is CSE think people want "rewards" which is false. People want to play it as soon as possible first, and rewards second. The tiers below $110 are very unpopular because they will let us play in 2015 while all the alpha testers will play in 2014. I was extremely excited for CU but I can't afford $110 and the cheaper tiers don't offer alpha access which is the #1 thing I want. So CSE will get $0 from me when they could have easily get $25-30 if they did it right.

Speak for yourself, I want rewards and fully understand I won't be playing the game for a while.

Think people also have a wrong idea about what alpha means. You're not going to be playing a game! You've seen some of the tech vids, well that's what you will get in alpha / internal testing. Just some very rudimentary stuff that needs some stress testing / bug hunting.

Having that available at a 25-30$ price point would also mean heaps of people would select it, so they'd need quite some beefie server hardware setup to support those amounts of people. And for sure, people will cry, moan, bitch when they can't login, or when the session lags like hell because it's unoptimized code not made to run with 1000+ players.

I'd rather have less people in alpha / internal testing and them having time to develop, instead of having to waste time and resources on trying to 'support' such a mass of players.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Docmandu

Think people also have a wrong idea about what alpha means. You're not going to be playing a game! You've seen some of the tech vids, well that's what you will get in alpha / internal testing. Just some very rudimentary stuff that needs some stress testing / bug hunting.

Having that available at a 25-30$ price point would also mean heaps of people would select it, so they'd need quite some beefie server hardware setup to support those amounts of people. And for sure, people will cry, moan, bitch when they can't login, or when the session lags like hell because it's unoptimized code not made to run with 1000+ players.

I'd rather have less people in alpha / internal testing and them having time to develop, instead of having to waste time and resources on trying to 'support' such a mass of players.

Mark changed the name of the testing stages a while back so alpha became internal testing and beta 1 became alpha. My understanding is the current alpha as listed on the Kickstarter tiers will be a playable game although obviously buggier than it will be at release, missing a few features, and not as balanced or optimized as it will be at release.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by boxsnd

I would like to think the #1 thing people want is a solid game like MJ is describing. Thats why i pledged my money. Not for some timestamp to join alpha/beta or what have you.

Seems to me it is you who wants rewards. You were willing to support a game (which is the point of kickstarter i would think) that you were "extremelly excited for"  till you found out you couldn't get what you wanted from your pledge tier. Now all of a sudden they aren't doing it right?

/shrug

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

I don't really get why people are so obsessed with wanting to play the Alpha. I would never pay extra money just to try a game when it's in such a shitty state.

It would also be ridiculous to expect Alpha access with the 30$ box, there'd be too many people.

Hi

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Only 859k more to go, can they do it ?  It is going to be close!
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Vaross

This thread is for the discussion of the general progress of the Camelot Unchained Kickstarter.  Please keep all discussion related to the progress of the kickstarter to this thread. 

Duplicate threads will be locked and redirected to this thread.

THANKS THE GODS!

Now the front page current forum activity will go back to normal.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Jayaris

I don't really get why people are so obsessed with wanting to play the Alpha. I would never pay extra money just to try a game when it's in such a shitty state.

It would also be ridiculous to expect Alpha access with the 30$ box, there'd be too many people.

depends on the alpha.. in some alphas the devs really do take in a good amount of feedback and you can really help shape the game but in some i have played you pretty much are there to find bugs and see very little interaction with the devs.. my guess with this project the devs will be very active with the alpha testers.. but i do agree expecting alpha at the $30 range is a bit unreasonable imho..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• chrissreefchrissreef Member Posts: 24

Question: Does anyone know how to.... buy FP only? I would like to purchase FP with a separate CC from what I pledged with. This could go toward pledging but I only want FP and not a pledge tier.

Thx!

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by chrissreef

Question: Does anyone know how to.... buy FP only? I would like to purchase FP with a separate CC from what I pledged with. This could go toward pledging but I only want FP and not a pledge tier.

Thx!

Not sure. You may have to buy the $5 tier and then add on to that if you want to use a seperate CC

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Yep. That would be the only way, unless MJ let's Kickstarter backers add FP after the game funds via Paypal.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Vaross

This thread is for the discussion of the general progress of the Camelot Unchained Kickstarter.  Please keep all discussion related to the progress of the kickstarter to this thread. 

Duplicate threads will be locked and redirected to this thread.

THANKS THE GODS!

Now the front page current forum activity will go back to normal.

^ I second this!!!!

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by chrissreef

Thx!

Pretty sure you need to pledge the $25 tier before you can start getting FP's added on.  $25 gets you a copy of the game (plus a bunch of other stuff).  It's pretty hard for you to use a bunch of in-game rewards from FP's if you dont have a copy of the game.

Edit: I see now you wanted to use a separate CC.  This is sort of confusing.  You could just move your pledge to the new CC?  What is the benefit of charging two seperate CC's?

If this is really the only way you can do it, try contacting CSE through the link at the bottom of the kickstarter and explain your problem.  Im sure they will find a way if its possible.

Now even the high Kicktraq projection has the game failing to reach $2 million (obviously it doesn't factor in the likely huge donations on the last few days). Hopefully we'll have some great new information released this week to get this back on track.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/#chart-exp-projection

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• anandaananda Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by meddyck

Now even the high Kicktraq projection has the game failing to reach $2 million (obviously it doesn't factor in the likely huge donations on the last few days). Hopefully we'll have some great new information released this week to get this back on track.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/#chart-exp-projection

Yeah this project appears to be losing steam...less than 20k was added yesterday lol. I think it does more or less factor in the last minute donations: it is steadily increasing, whereas the most likely scenario is that it will continue to flatline till near the end before a sudden jump. I imagine the total result is about the same, for an average amount of huge last minute donations. So now I have serious doubt that it will fund.

But then again, I was browsing the kicktraq site looking at the old projects, and I noticed something. The distribution of kickstarter results there are not exactly spread evenly. They are mostly divided into 3 groups: fail misserably (< 25%), just barely made it (100%-125%), and great success (>200%). It is very rare to see a project failed at over 60%. I guess by that point, the backers feels committed and will just roll up their sleves and pledge whatever will be needed for it to fund near the end? By that trend this project should be quite safe yet.

On the other hand, virtually every other projects are not asking for anywhere near $2m, so it would have been much simpler for a few individuals to just come up with the money in those projects. Here, I think the big guys are already down $5k to $10k, not sure just how much more they are willing to go. So it would require a much wider community effort, which would be more difficult. Hm... I guess there's just no way predict how this one will go.

Originally posted by ananda

On the other hand, virtually every other projects are not asking for anywhere near $2m, so it would have been much simpler for a few individuals to just come up with the money in those projects. Here, I think the big guys are already down $5k to $10k, not sure just how much more they are willing to go. So it would require a much wider community effort, which would be more difficult. Hm... I guess there's just no way predict how this one will go.

Very valid point. OTOH there are likely quite a few people who have selected, for instance, the $110 tier who may be willing to go higher at the end if it's necessary. I may be one of them depending on if some lingering questions I have are answered in the next 17 days.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185

I think the more troubling thing here is that there are just over 7k backers at about the mid-way point. I would've thought there would be more excitment from the DAoC players and people looking for better MMO PvP.

I really hope this game makes it. Mark has some great ideas and the tech they developing is top notch. Major kudos to Andrew and the rest of the devs for their work on that.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    The 110 and 250 tiers have been doing fairly well this campaign. If those both sell out then CU is funded for the most part. Also there has been recent surges in the lower 25 and 50 tiers which if they sell out will ad about a little under 200k. At the end I'd imagine these 2 tiers easily will sell out. so as long as we make it to 1.8 mil then the last few days should easily make up the difference.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• theratstherats Member Posts: 1

@fanglo

Not sure if you remember playing with me but I remember you on Hib Lance. Hope all is well, look forward to seeing you in CU

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Danwarr

I think the more troubling thing here is that there are just over 7k backers at about the mid-way point. I would've thought there would be more excitment from the DAoC players and people looking for better MMO PvP.

I really hope this game makes it. Mark has some great ideas and the tech they developing is top notch. Major kudos to Andrew and the rest of the devs for their work on that.

The vast majority of DAoC players were primarily pve players, clearly a pvp only game does not appeal to many of those players.

You also need to remember a lot of ex-DAoC players aren't particularly fond of Mark Jacobs.

Thankfully CU isn't targeting DAoC players only so there ins some hope for the game.

I remember an amazing pvp concept game some years back called Dragon Empires which proved that even during a golden era for mmorpg a a pvp centric mmorpg was not a popular thing. CU seems to be simply confirming what most people already know, the pvp population of mmorpg a is minimal.

The real question is how well will a niche KS project do.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by Zinzan

The vast majority of DAoC players were primarily pve players, clearly a pvp only game does not appeal to many of those players.

You also need to remember a lot of ex-DAoC players aren't particularly fond of Mark Jacobs.

Thankfully CU isn't targeting DAoC players only so there ins some hope for the game.

I remember an amazing pvp concept game some years back called Dragon Empires which proved that even during a golden era for mmorpg a a pvp centric mmorpg was not a popular thing. CU seems to be simply confirming what most people already know, the pvp population of mmorpg a is minimal.

Agreed.  I think a significant amount of DAoCers will recall the PvE being a big part of what made the game great.  I was skeptical about CU when I read that it was basically RvR only, but I backed anyway because it sounds like it could be a great game in its own right.  But still, I doubt the appeal is there for many, if not most, ex-DAoCers.  And, this is coming from a Mordred player.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185

It's very odd that PvP is not as popular in the MMO space as it in in the shooter area. Shooters pretty much live or die base on how well they play on Xbox live or online in general. Purely online shooters, like Dust 514, are becoming more and more popular.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

It's very odd that PvP is not as popular in the MMO space as it in in the shooter area. Shooters pretty much live or die base on how well they play on Xbox live or online in general. Purely online shooters, like Dust 514, are becoming more and more popular.

It's because most rvr games failed.

I remember you Therats

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!