Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] DC Universe Online: Origin Crisis Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During GDC, the DC Universe Online team had some big information to reveal in the form of Game Update 7 "Origin Crisis". We've got a full preview of some of the exciting new features and content that DCUO players will be taking part in so keep reading before heading into the comments to discuss!

DLC 7 has been called the Origin Crisis and will be taking players on a time traveling dimensional journey. If you want to look at the storyline, DLC 2 “Lightning Strikes” becomes the effect and DLC 7 “Origin Crisis” is the cause. Players will be going through the story backwards to find out what happened with Brainiac and Lex Luther. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's DC Universe Online: Origin Crisis Revealed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TobrukTobruk Member UncommonPosts: 46

Great game, terrible community. The majority or people who play this game (on the PS3 anyways) "ARE NOT" MMO players.  They would much rather sit in front of their safehouses or inside their headquarters and duel with each other rather than doing anything worth while. When they finally do get a Raid or Alert going they want everyone overgeared so that everything can be done in 20 minutes or less otherwise its a waste of time.

This game really is quite a fun game, but the community just ruins the whole experience.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

What?

Isn't Infinite Crisis what Spiderman's deal with the devil is for Marvel fans?

AKA, despised..

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Tobruk

Great game, terrible community. The majority or people who play this game (on the PS3 anyways) "ARE NOT" MMO players.  They would much rather sit in front of their safehouses or inside their headquarters and duel with each other rather than doing anything worth while. When they finally do get a Raid or Alert going they want everyone overgeared so that everything can be done in 20 minutes or less otherwise its a waste of time.

This game really is quite a fun game, but the community just ruins the whole experience.

Simply solution!  Stop playing it on the PS3, and play it on PC.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

It's a great game and I still play it occassionally. I started on PS3 at launch but since moved on to PC which was a good movie. Get yourself an Xbox controller for Windows if you want to have a better experience FYI.

One of my biggest problems with the game has always been the ability system is just a little weird. There's a lot of procs and effects that trigger other things and its just not very fun or interesting especially for an Action RPG. A lot of the abilities are just boring or lame period. It's very unfortunate because for me its one of the only downsides in a really well done DC MMO.

Thankfully the way Hard Light powers work is pretty fun for me so thats what I play. But still disappointing I can't have fun playing any of the other power sets.

• ElectricWizardElectricWizard Member Posts: 47

DCUO is a flipping amazing game. Im more of a fantasy nerd and it took ALOT to tear me away from elves and wizards and dragons..

DCUO has it all.
    • the first and best TRUE ACTION COMBAT system ever created.
    • the most challenging PVE on the market
    • the most fun open world PVP since DAOC and Shadowbane
    • a ridiculously fun and addictive vanity Styles system
    • gorgeous graphics and animations
    • a character development system that rewards multiple ways to advance
    • player housing
    • a lot of really fun craftable consumables
    • awesome storylines, voice acting, and cutscenes
    • a pretty generous FTP model too.. i played my first 6 months entirely free
    • the community is wonderful and awful too.. just like in ANY MMO. ive met some lowlifes and also the best guild i've ever joined since my days in EQ

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Anyone know how to fix the disconnects on PC?   I cannot do anything without it disconecing me.  char creation, choosing an existing char etc.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Tobruk

The majority or people who play this game (on the PS3 anyways) "ARE NOT" MMO players. 

Maybe because the game is more like a console action game and only a slight part mmo? :)

It's a fun game though. I don't like action / brawler games, but I still play DCUO occasionally if I get into comics mood. The story part is great (too bad it's way too short), graphics are cool, I love to run-fly-glide through the cities and explore / collect everything. The community on PC side is ok, sometimes you can catch conversations waist-deep in DC lore :) even though I like Marvel better...

I guess I'll dust off my toons after Origin Crisis launch, Garrett wrote some very nice lines in the preview, like:

"The storyline is very important to the DC Universe folks for DLC 7. They have a lot of twists and turns for players to explore."

and "The expansion is heavily focused on content with lots of PvE to explore." Great :)

Originally posted by zellmer

Isn't Infinite Crisis what Spiderman's deal with the devil is for Marvel fans?

it's Origin Crisis, there will be an Infinite Crisis as well but that will be a lame dota-clone. And nope, Infinite Crisis is not Spidey, it was a DC book...

Edit: sorry my english is weak, but that line kept bugging me... did you ment that IC is like Spidey's One more day? because then it's nope and nope :)

First I guess you mix Crisis on Infinite Earths with Infinite Crisis, and second, that was a huge collapse in DC universe, while One more day was only a minor retcon and the closing of two branches of Spidey (but I agree it was a very lame one, with JMS left Marvel and went back to DC)

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Best f2p mmo, but on the ps3, the community sux like someone said above, but it can be relaxing with friends.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• TamorandTamorand Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I play DCUO like a single player game that has constant updates.  I gave up on the PS3 community a long time ago.  There is plety of content to keep you going without needing to organize a raid for a long time.  When you get that far you can always stop and come back in a few months and another xpac is sure to be on its way.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    do they still ban people lifetime for profanity while hackers/botters run amock in pvp? created more than 10 tickets reporting hackers/botters with video, all the time i got this reply : "are you still having that problem? we assure you; a better gameplay is our top priority, hacking/botting is prohibited and we are taking action". among 10 reports 3 of them were about a guild that constantly hacked in legends and arena, people were always talking about them in shout chat and as far as i know there were 3 pvp guilds that reported them too. while we were all reporting them they were recruiting in official forums, i went into their post and posted the video showing how they were killing everyone with one hit(at 1st i used to think i was lagging like hell but then many people and my own guild members confirmed that this particualr guild was hacking), my post was removed within 10 mins and i got forum banned  for 10 days for "hate speech". i logged in the game called the devs and GMs "faggots incapable of handling bots/hackers/cheaters", got perma banned in 2 mins. used to play in us pc server, the game is awesome, lots of fun but SOE just sux.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• OdesuOdesu Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by ElectricWizard

DCUO has it all.
    • the first and best TRUE ACTION COMBAT system ever created.
    • the most challenging PVE on the market
    • the most fun open world PVP since DAOC and Shadowbane
    • a ridiculously fun and addictive vanity Styles system
    • gorgeous graphics and animations
    • a character development system that rewards multiple ways to advance
    • player housing
    • a lot of really fun craftable consumables
    • awesome storylines, voice acting, and cutscenes
    • a pretty generous FTP model too.. i played my first 6 months entirely free

You're either shilling or delusional.

First and best "true action combat system"?  Street Fighter RPS has been around for decades.  And maybe not in an MMO, but with all the instancing in this game (which is the go-to solution for devs that can't get open world events to work), this hardly qualifies anymore.  Claims like "most challenging PVE on the market" and "most fun open world PVP since DAOC" serve to indicate a very limited perspective, i.e., only your own.

I'll grant you, the styles setup is very flexible and graphics do their job for a game that is well into its second year.  But multiple ways to advance your characters?  Please tell me how, other than by the same PVE grind.  This can't possibly compare to, say, GW2, which lets you level and obtain gear from following the storylines, traditional questing, crafting or PVP.

Finally, the FTP model is not as generous as you make it out to be.  Unless you have in-game friends willing to spot you the cash, or purchase escrow extensions, you'll never even be able to hold enough funds to repair mid-raid, much less equip yourself with higher mods to qualify for pugs.  You mean to say you didn't notice that NPC items were priced just above the limit?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Possibly my favorite F2P game of all time, DCUO is just fun as heck with friends.  Speaking of which, I'm currently re-downloading it right now since a friend is interested.. the only reason I stopped the first time is because I didn't have anyone to fly around the city with, cape flapping in the breeze (best mode of transportation ever), what with another friend being impossible to please in terms of MMOs.
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    ...I didn't have anyone to fly around the city with, cape flapping in the breeze (best mode of transportation ever)

Maybe the easiest mode, but not the best I think... and capes are very dangerous, just ask Dollar Bill of the Minutemen (in Watchmen) :)

Running is cool too, true it's a bit hard to control. I love acrobatics the most... since there's no real Marvel mmo (damn you Marvel Heroes!) the first toon I made in superhero games (as in CoH and CO besides DCUO) was always a Spidey, and in DC acrobatics just rocked for him :) going up on the side of a building, jump over, grappling to the next building then grappling to the roof... in Gotham it's almost as fast as flight, but much more fun.

And jesteralways, there was a huge banhammer swung about 1.5years ago, and a smaller one later. I wasn't ingame lately so I don't know the current state, but if you experienced those many hacks and bots before that banning, then maybe it worths giving the game a second shot, they banned hundreds of hackers back then in a day. (and yep, the situation was very bad when SOE finally decided to start banning)

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I played this game in beta and wasn't too impressed. I play EQ1 a lot so I sub to that, and recently thought about getting into free realms and/or clone wars with my 6 year old son, so I thought why not do the all access since I pay for eq anyway and still play VG once in a while too. 

Well, I dl DCUO since I was now getting it as part of the pass, and I haven't come up for air in a week. So much fun. So glad I tried it again!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    ...I didn't have anyone to fly around the city with, cape flapping in the breeze (best mode of transportation ever)

Maybe the easiest mode, but not the best I think... and capes are very dangerous, just ask Dollar Bill of the Minutemen (in Watchmen) :)

Running is cool too, true it's a bit hard to control. I love acrobatics the most... since there's no real Marvel mmo (damn you Marvel Heroes!) the first toon I made in superhero games (as in CoH and CO besides DCUO) was always a Spidey, and in DC acrobatics just rocked for him :) going up on the side of a building, jump over, grappling to the next building then grappling to the roof... in Gotham it's almost as fast as flight, but much more fun.

A fellow Watchmen fan!  hehe.

Well ok, I'll be honest, I do love scaling buildings and leaping from them to the next, though oftentimes they're quite far apart making that impossible.  I didn't really care for the super speed, maybe it was because of the distracting "shock" effect as you move. 

But yeah, for a new player, flying is probably the easiest to get into and stay interested.

• renaissance247renaissance247 Member Posts: 1
    I prefer Super Speed until Level 9 when you can make flying faster, because I think flying is too slow and boring before that.  Super Speed is at least interesting and seems faster even though it's the same speed.  With my flying characters I hover low to the ground to make it appear like I'm going faster or else I lose interest.
  • kingsatanaskingsatanas Member Posts: 31
    roff have yu ever played any other game ?? /electric wizard

Originally posted by renaissance247
    With my flying characters I hover low to the ground to make it appear like I'm going faster or else I lose interest.

Oh my... That brought up memories of Superman running across the Atlantic to Paris instead just simply fly over it, only because it looks cooler on paper... (in Miller's lame All-star Batman & Robin). I know, it's cool to run on water, but let's just leave that to Flash, shall we? :)

Edit: speaking of which, there are much more lame stuff in it, AT4W even made a whole "Miller-time" about All-star Batman, it's a great review :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfBqcSdAbJo