Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have not seen more warning on a site then all the warning Defiance has why?

Comments

• AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    its about the same amount of warnings all other new mmos get
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I'm going to wait until it goes Free to Play because I don't pay for things that hundreds of people have worked on for years.  No matter how good a game is, I won't pay for it unless the price is zero.

On a serious note, Defiance is pretty fun but I wish there was more available now in the main quest line.  That'll come in time, I'm sure, but having beat it several times, including in the Alpha, it's more waiting than I'd prefer :)

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Isturi

I do not see the need for people to give us grown adults warning in how to spend our money on a game

when will you learn your real life age doesn't matter in the virtual life ?

He probably didn't find out yet that this site is fine with 13 year olds and older to come and use it without parental consent.  In other words, not everyone who reads here is a "grown adult".  So I hope that I have shown him what he didn't see before, and educated the grown adult that he is.

Pro tip - grown adults make monetary mistakes too.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Oceanhawk
    Originally posted by Diemos
    Its simple, haters are gonna hate. I love GW2 and I enjoy Defiance, and despite the constant fanatics trying to show me the light of how fail the games I enjoy are I pay it no mind. Its a shame there are so many people that like to hate on games, I am just glad I have found games I really enjoy.

It isn't haters trying to tell you what to enjoy. It's people that tried the game and found it lacking in several areas. They are trying to help others avoid spending money on a game that has limited appeal to a small majority of players that find it ok to pay $60 for a mediocre game. Some people will thank them for their warnings and others like the numerous fanboys that believe everything is perfect will beat their drums to detract from the reall issues this game has. 

But even teh rosiest of glasses can't make a dog turd look like a filet mignon. 

This might be believable if we weren't seeing the same names over and over that don't even have their information correct to begin with. When you've finally hammered the correction into them they try and move on to something else. 

The same few have gone on and on about the lack of content and how they beat the game already when all they've managed was to finish the main story and reach 300 ego. 

We've seen the same few go on and on about how the TV show tie-in is relying on a second season which may not happen  so it must be a gimmick thats likely to never happen. 

The same few have gone on and on about no progression. 

You have the same few even trying to make the assinine claims that the game isn't even an MMO just because they feel it isn't even though it meets the criteria most have set for an MMO. 

Fans will be the first to tell you that the game has a lot of problems they tend to focus on the real issues like the connectivity issues, the UI, bugs, Missing rewards, weapon balance, lack of a bank, VOIP, Chat, and a lot of other issues. Show me the fan posts you are reffering to that says the game is perfect because I can certainly show you a dozen or so troll/hater posts trying to tell me what to enjoy. 

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Its simple, haters are gonna hate. I love GW2 and I enjoy Defiance, and despite the constant fanatics trying to show me the light of how fail the games I enjoy are I pay it no mind. Its a shame there are so many people that like to hate on games, I am just glad I have found games I really enjoy.

It isn't haters trying to tell you what to enjoy. It's people that tried the game and found it lacking in several areas. They are trying to help others avoid spending money on a game that has limited appeal to a small majority of players that find it ok to pay $60 for a mediocre game. Some people will thank them for their warnings and others like the numerous fanboys that believe everything is perfect will beat their drums to detract from the reall issues this game has. 

This might be believable if we weren't seeing the same names over and over that don't even have their information correct to begin with. When you've finally hammered the correction into them they try and move on to something else. 

The same few have gone on and on about the lack of content and how they beat the game already when all they've managed was to finish the main story and reach 300 ego. 

We've seen the same few go on and on about how the TV show tie-in is relying on a second season which may not happen  so it must be a gimmick thats likely to never happen. 

You have the same few even trying to make the assinine claims that the game isn't even an MMO just because they feel it isn't even though it meets the criteria most have set for an MMO. 

Fans will be the first to tell you that the game has a lot of problems they tend to focus on the real issues like the connectivity issues, the UI, bugs, Missing rewards, weapon balance, lack of a bank, VOIP, Chat, and a lot of other issues. Show me the fan posts you are reffering to that says the game is perfect because I can certainly show you a dozen or so troll/hater posts trying to tell me what to enjoy. 

I recognize quite a few of the posters on here that have been hating on Defiance, also were the same ones that spent all day in the GW2 section hating on that and saying it was going to die in a month (or three months).

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

To be fair, when there were no more main missions to take it left me saying "now what?"  I could have gone back and done side quests to kill weakling raiders that were nothing compared to things I'd already defeated, or I could drive around and cross bridges for a pursuit I guess?  I decided to do the easiest thing - wait.  I'll play more, it's definitely fun, but I don't enjoy easy menial tasks for the sake of a checkmark next to them.

Karl Von Bach is a hilarious character in the game, and I loved his dialog.  Many of the characters had some fairly vibrant personalities ha.

The biggest annoyance I had was with clunky UI, but that seems like something that can be fixed over time without much fuss.

PVP can be fun, but the matches seem very short, and the shadow war often takes longer than I'd like to get into any match at all.  There's a lot of frantic action there though, like when a teammate dies and parasites come out of him, swarming me while the enemy just keeps shooting, or when I manage to run down a few enemy players in my vehicle with a surprise powerslide of doom, or when I discovered the electric sniper rifle that fires two rounds per trigger pull works surprisingly well against players before they could react, these were all very fun in different ways.

I'm not really taking a break, so much as messing around while waiting for further Main story.  It didn't feel like any kind of conclusion, and I was honestly waiting for several minutes the first time I finished it waiting for the next part to show on the map.  It never did.

So I guess to summarize - it's a lot of fun, fix the UI, the new content coming soon is worth waiting for

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

To be fair, when there were no more main missions to take it left me saying "now what?"  I could have gone back and done side quests to kill weakling raiders that were nothing compared to things I'd already defeated, or I could drive around and cross bridges for a pursuit I guess?  I decided to do the easiest thing - wait.  I'll play more, it's definitely fun, but I don't enjoy easy menial tasks for the sake of a checkmark next to them.

Karl Von Bach is a hilarious character in the game, and I loved his dialog.  Many of the characters had some fairly vibrant personalities ha.

The biggest annoyance I had was with clunky UI, but that seems like something that can be fixed over time without much fuss.

PVP can be fun, but the matches seem very short, and the shadow war often takes longer than I'd like to get into any match at all.  There's a lot of frantic action there though, like when a teammate dies and parasites come out of him, swarming me while the enemy just keeps shooting, or when I manage to run down a few enemy players in my vehicle with a surprise powerslide of doom, or when I discovered the electric sniper rifle that fires two rounds per trigger pull works surprisingly well against players before they could react, these were all very fun in different ways.

I'm not really taking a break, so much as messing around while waiting for further Main story.  It didn't feel like any kind of conclusion, and I was honestly waiting for several minutes the first time I finished it waiting for the next part to show on the map.  It never did.

So I guess to summarize - it's a lot of fun, fix the UI, the new content coming soon is worth waiting for

After the main story the contracts take over as the main content. 

http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/04/05/a-introduction-to-defiance-contracts/

They refresh daily/weekly depending on the contract. One of my favorites is "The Long Bomb" which requires you to kill Raider Hulks. 

The Co-op missions are a blast as well and more and more open up as you progress. 

http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/04/05/a-introduction-to-defiance-contracts/

They refresh daily/weekly depending on the contract. One of my favorites is "The Long Bomb" which requires you to kill Raider Hulks. 

The Co-op missions are a blast as well and more and more open up as you progress. 

I haven't tried co-op missions yet, though I do mean to.  Good call.

I dislike any kind of repeating daily quest.  I think I did a few contracts, not sure if I have to turn them in or anything, but that was by accident through other activities rather than trying to do them.

Killing hellbugs to get their hides or whatever was not what I expected my ark hunter to do after finishing the main quest.  It's like something I'd expect a level 1 orc to do.

I'll check out the co-op missions once a couple of my friends get off work though, that could be a challenge too which should be fun.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I do not see the need for people to give us grown adults warning in how to spend our money on a game

LOL?

TYVM This is the main reason why I started this thread. image

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58
    I dont know, i stayed away from this title.  I feel like they are triple dipping on new untested grounds...season pass+cash shop+ buy to play seems excessive for somthing that hasnt proven itself yet.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

It looks like contracts are a fancy way of saying dailies

Originally posted by Tokenaru
    I dont know, i stayed away from this title.  I feel like they are triple dipping on new untested grounds...season pass+cash shop+ buy to play seems excessive for somthing that hasnt proven itself yet.

Meh so was sub based MMO games. But players got use to the idea because the game prove it worth. So Defiance I belive will prove its worth to alow us gamers to justify are spending or wanting to spend our hard earn money into a B2P game.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Karteli

Thanks for the heads-up & warning about warnings.  I guess at the very least if there is enough warnings and polarization, then something is amiss.

I guess I'll wait for it to go on sale on Steam for $5.

If you based everything onthis reasoning,  then you would never ever buy a game until it goes on sale.  The common fact of forums that has been around for ever is that people who hate something are for more likely to go somewhere and tell others about it, where people who like something tend to be far less vocal about it.

So regardless of what it is, the internet will always show everything in a negative light.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

The game is really sloppy overall, and stupidly obscure when it really doesn't have to. Contracts come to mind, like they are trying to encourage exploration but all they are adding to is a bunch of tedium where I constantly have to tab out and google shit. Atleast mark out point of intrest or something, the map is horrible. It's kind of like the old journal in Morrowind, I don't need a fucking arrow pointing the way but atleast give me a good description of what I'm supposed to do. Then there was the crap with the raider masks, 90% of all raiders wear gas mask but only one type counts for progress.

Other than that I'm actually enjoying the game, more fun than not tbh.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Contracts = daylies with an extended timer.

My bet is on they put in Rift's carnage quests next, like "kill 30 mutants, kill 30 raiders" and people again hail it as content and flame everyone who says "hmm...that's it?".

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by jedensuscg
    Originally posted by Karteli

Thanks for the heads-up & warning about warnings.  I guess at the very least if there is enough warnings and polarization, then something is amiss.

I guess I'll wait for it to go on sale on Steam for $5.

If you based everything onthis reasoning,  then you would never ever buy a game until it goes on sale.  The common fact of forums that has been around for ever is that people who hate something are for more likely to go somewhere and tell others about it, where people who like something tend to be far less vocal about it.

So regardless of what it is, the internet will always show everything in a negative light.

Actually it is more like 'people who like something tend to be equally vocal and spend majority of time definding their favorite MMOS'. No forums can thrive with help of one side alone. Conflicts is what keeps these forums going.

However, if everything was all perfect, pink and rosy with no one saying anything negative, internet would be such a dull place.

So i suggest find a fansite because these are open forums where people can post negative as well as positive reviews.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

It looks like contracts are a fancy way of saying dailies

It is. But i think Persuits are the real continuation of the game after the quests/story. Persuits are basically Achivements, but they actually reward you in interesting ways. Completing "minors" gives you some EGO (levels). Completing "majors" gives you even more EGO and a title + an outfit or a mount. They also help with teaching you how the game works, and uncover the true face of how the game is "intented" to play. And once you figure it out, it's quite clever and engaging.

The game is fairly simple and easy to understand on the surface. But once you dig in to it, new interesting concepts show up that i've not seen before. I don't know if they intentionally made these things a bit tricky to discover, but i like it.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Volgore

Contracts = daylies with an extended timer.

My bet is on they put in Rift's carnage quests next, like "kill 30 mutants, kill 30 raiders" and people again hail it as content and flame everyone who says "hmm...that's it?".

These are already in game....

So are timed vehicle races.

I wish MMORPG had a way to monitor a game so of you posted in the forums you could tell an owner of a game from someone just randomly flapping their gums.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

The early side quests in Mount Tam are easy and menial but after getting to Iron Demon Ranch, some start to get just as fun as the main quests.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Thornrage

The early side quests in Mount Tam are easy and menial but after getting to Iron Demon Ranch, some start to get just as fun as the main quests.

This is true. It starts out kind of standard/menial but it doesn pick up. I love it.

LOL?

not a laughing matter.

And here I wanted to give you a chance to have a hint of humor. Meh oh well there is also a saying to act your age not your shoe size. But the thread is not about age it is about how people like to give warning on a game as to which they know little about. Just wanted to keep on subject of course. I would request you do the same. image

Man I love to give my peanut butter and jelly dance to those who deserve it.image

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Maybe it's because this is touted as a MMO when in fact in it's current form it is a single player game played online. There are co-op maps but so far I have only gotten thru one completely due to crashes for me or some of my friends. It was so bad we stopped trying. The chat system is horribly broken and they should be ashamed that a big part of what makes MMO's atttractive, doesn't work. I will give you the fact that the game is original and can be fun at first but later on after you complete the main storyline quest (which is horribly short) the game turns into ai repetitive monster where you play the same missions over and over killing the same 5 mobs scattered over a pretty small map. 

Don't even get me going on how many clicks the UI forces you to use just to get most things done, the limited character customization, the limited and poorly implemented inventory system and worst of all how you have to keep changing weapons because they stop earning experience after only a few hours of play. I had to stop using a Legenday weapon because using it cost me the ability to continue leveling my weapon skills. Oh and there isn't any difference in a EGO 10 wepoan and an EGO 1000 weapon. 

People are so stupid, this game checks more boxes then most of the other shit that has come out, it is definitetly an mmo.

The game has a giant open world.

Open world ORGANIZED pvp.

Instanced pvp.

Instanced dungeons.

Quests.

Really well done story.

WHAT THE FUCK ELSE DO YOU WANT?

Vp

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Why do people feel the need to come on and mae a post to warn us about Defiance? Do other MMO forums on this site get the same kind of warnings? For me Defiance is prob one of the best MMOTPS games to date and I am very much looking forward to the 15th to see how the game and the show works on the same time should be cool.

I just dont understand why all the warnings though. For me a warning is "Danger road out ahead" I do not see the need for people to give us grown adults warning in how to spend our money on a game and I do belive any gamer if they dont like the game they should just move on and let people enjoy the game. Makes me wonder if all these people who are warning us are getting paid to warn us about Defiance.

I for one love the game and comming from a EX WoW player that says alot. Defiance has done just that. Trion and SY FY has in Defiance to the MMO world will be given us entertainment on a new level. I for one enjoy the breath of fresh air in my MMO world. Oh I have a feeling that Trion knows acactly what they are doing with Defiance. A job well done.

Thank you Trion Worlds. And thank you SY FY for a job well done.

For every person that loves a game there will be one that hates it.  I personaly like to hear from both camps so that I can make an informed decision about spending my hard earned.  If I went ahead and bought a game that I had only seen the publishers marketing material about and it turned out to be complete horseshit I would kick myself for not having researched it further.  So more power to the lovers and haters I say.  Just filter out all the ones and tens ie. those that hate it so much that they want to shotgun the devs and those that love it so much they want to make babies with the coders and then somewhere inbetween is the truth you seek.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

I dont see what the big deal is. 

For me i was going to buy a shooter anyway, it was Defiance or Bioshock.  Same price. 

This game is going to have way more content, much more replayability, and Trion whos good with putting new stuff into their games.

If your poor and can barely afford the $60 box price, a highly emotional child (or adult who acts like one) and cant emotionally handle a game not reaching your vision of perfection, or just looking for the next big mmorpg...dont bother with Defiance.

If you want a pve focused shooter, based on a solid scific lore (thus far at least), with some offerings right out of a mmorpg.  This game will give you more bang for the buck.  Its a solid TPS game.  Basically GW2 without the cliche and lame story, skill based shooter combat mechanics, and a unique progression system tied into weapon use.

Not meant as a game thats going to keep you grinding 15hrs a day for 10 years.  Its a fantastic shooter to put a few hours in a day however, lots of crap to distract you from the main story (you can go back and do it all later for the outfit rewards too, stuff doesnt get uber easy in the starter areas, just a tad easier i guess)

So ive gotten my moneys worth out of it, and if it get boring i can always come back months later, the DLC has free content and no lock outs ect.

This isnt a game thats "going to kill wow", this isnt a game thats going to reward you for racing to the "endgame" to hop on that gear tredmill first..Its an open world TSP with a bunch of other people running around.  Perhaps more like a PVE planetside two in that sense.

Thats what happens when mmorpg.com starts putting any online game they can on the site though, lots of people get the wrong idea then get pissed when the game turns out to have  bad chat system that isnt in your face, or no real crafting, or no real gear progression and a weapon XP system that forces you to toss out older weapons in favor of newer weapons, which might be slightly worse.  Its different for sure in this sense...but many didnt want or expect it, given the misinforation on what the game is.