Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They need to get rid of high sec

2»

Comments

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by tordurbar
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

EvE is the ONLY full loot sandbox mmo that has actually managed to grow in numbers year after year, instead of crash and burn like 98% of all others.

now you sit here and try to explain how their core system "doesn't work"? You, my friend are one presumptuous dim witted fool.  

the high sec/low sec system is by far the best sytem every implemented in any full loot game as EvE subscriber's numbers clearly show. there is simply no better system which allowes pve and pvp to co exists AND interact on the same server so smoothly and with so much balance and fairness. please just go slap yourself in front of a mirror for a few hours. 

Dayz is capped at 50 players per server and you will NEVER have 100+ people with Battle Cruisers camping a nube station just for shit and giggles. Not to mention that anything you lose in Dayz you can find again in a few hours if you know where to look. Worst comparison ever.

I have heard this before "Eve is the only ... mmo to .. grow in numbers".  I remember playing 3 years ago and seeing pretty much the same numbers that I see every night in Eve today. Maybe Eve is growing but not by much. I  believe that any major growth is due to old subs creating multiple accounts. I find it interesting that CCP does not identify the number of UNIQUE accounts. If they do - please post the link.

What difference does it make? A new account is another stream of revenue... People need to stop nitpicking...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by dave6660

I have heard your point before too.  I'm curious why it matters and why Eve is the only game that gets singled out in this regard?

If you were CCP would care whether 250,000 people paying you $30 a month or 500,000 people paying $15 a month?

Because not all of those members are paying them. CCP has went on record to say that they buy up and add Plex as needed to keep the economy moving. Only they truly know what those amounts are but it throws a rather large monkey wrench in any player side bookeeping.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

If you were CCP would care whether 250,000 people paying you $30 a month or 500,000 people paying $15 a month?

Definitely, that is a hell a lot of difference!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by tixylix

Seriously it's ruining the game, people get used to it while learning the game, grow attached to their characters and never leave high sec. They them become bored and blame everything on taking too much time to train or they're too scared to lose their stuff. CCP need to throw players in at the deep end, stop holding their hand and just make people PVP from the get go so they get used to dying. Really that is the problem of EVE, people just aren't used to dying, they get too attached to their gear. Dayz has proved that this approach of throwing you into this hostile world works, all EVE has done is proved high sec doesn't work. It doesn't mean the game will turn into chaos either as you will get alliances who will allow friendly players and they'll act as the police in their own areas. All it means is finally players have control of the whole game and new players will die again and agian and again and become used to it and not fear PVP.

"It's ruining the game..." ?

Yeah, it's been ruining the game since 2003. Luckily for CCP, 99% of the playerbase hasn't noticed yet. Perhaps you should post this ramarkable insight on the EVE forums as a public service.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Because they want to have more than 2000 active subs.............

Really dude, think about it for a sec.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Well, let's be honest... A large percentage of CCP subscription numbers come from people running multiple accounts to get around working with others and paying for those accounts with PLEX earned in hi sec activities like mission running. Of course from previous history we know a lot of PLEX is sold by those fighting in 0.0 to support their war efforts ( remember the Russian sweep) and the occasional guy not wanting to grind for his PVP fun. The last dip in subs could actually be linked to a lull in 0.0 wars as not as many PLEX were on sale suddenly (shooting the price up) and leaving some people unable to grind enough to support those extra accounts.  Frankly, you get rid of Hi Sec and you may as well get rid of PLEX and CCP simply can't afford to let that happen considering how much cash it makes them...

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Like it or not, hi-sec is here to stay.

The way forward for hi-sec is not to waste time crying to CCP to get rid of it, but to put forward solid proposals to improve it and take it past the obsolete model of "starter area" that's holding it back and causing imbalances.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

I have heard your point before too.  I'm curious why it matters and why Eve is the only game that gets singled out in this regard?

Because not all of those members are paying them. CCP has went on record to say that they buy up and sell back Plex as needed to keep the economy moving. Only they truly know what those amounts are but it throws a rather large monkey wrench in any player side bookeeping.

Corrected that because there is a big difference. Every PLEX in EVE has been paid for by a player at some point in time.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Corrected that because there is a big difference. Every PLEX in EVE has been paid for by a player at some point in time.

I am too lazy to rewatch the 50min video from the last Evefest, but from what I remember that is not what they said. If you have a counter bit of info otherwise I would love to see it.

Originally posted by azzamasin

If anything this should give credence that a sandbox PvE only game could work and do well.

It's disenchanting that people don't quite understand that, given that both UO and EVE Online have a collective two decades of proof that a sandbox game with strong PVP combat is successful when

• there are other activities (social, PvE and non-combat PvP) to do besides combat PVP
    • PVPers aren't forced to do most of those activities in order to PVP
    • those who do those other activities have some way to reduce their exposure to PVP in order to do them enjoyably

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I am too lazy to rewatch the 50min video from the last Evefest, but from what I remember that is not what they said. If you have a counter bit of info otherwise I would love to see it.

Sure thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MZD6-vGQms&feature=player_detailpage&list=SPDDA989F65CD6E98A#t=1931s

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

To the OP: High-sec ain't going no where dear lad, if you wanna quit because it is staying can I perhaps...has your stuff? :3

To the idea of plexes: The system works perfectly the way it is currently and if you truly want to charge back plex you can do this, though highly illegal in-game, with good friends, you can basically trade them a plex for real world money, of course this sounds fucked up but meh no one really gets hurt (the friend doesn't have to grind for the isk to pay for the plex and you get some cash but to apply this in broad terms would be bad for CCP unless they severely restrict isk earning potential and basically turn EVE into a gankfest version of Entropia Universe).

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Yup get rid of high sec and you get rid of pve players aka 'carebears'  especially with other space based games on the horizon like elite etc.  get rid of High Sec and you also remove the safe ground for new players. Eve would slowly buy surely die as income dropped and future development of the game slowed and failed to compete with the new space based mmorgs incomming.  Its high sec that provides the training platform for true Eve pvpers :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ElgarLElgarL Member UncommonPosts: 191

I played EVE for a LONG time. Ran a high-sec corp with a lot of miners and manufacturers.

We NEVER entered low-sec as we have ZERO interest in PVP.

The only reason I'm still not playing is due to illegal gank squads using suicide accounts to destroy miners in high-sec space and corruption at CCP with rule enforcement.

Creator of ELTank and Nostalgia

Sure thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MZD6-vGQms&feature=player_detailpage&list=SPDDA989F65CD6E98A#t=1931s

Yeah nothing in that says they are all paid for by players.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by ElgarL

I played EVE for a LONG time. Ran a high-sec corp with a lot of miners and manufacturers.

We NEVER entered low-sec as we have ZERO interest in PVP.

The only reason I'm still not playing is due to illegal gank squads using suicide accounts to destroy miners in high-sec space and corruption at CCP with rule enforcement.

It's legal as it falls within the possibility of some players using differing classes of ships to blow up a barge in the seconds before Concord responds and if CCP is corrupt then all developers are cesspools of coruption wallowing in the ill gotten gains of robbing their fans ;). I am not a CCP fanboi but I am not so blind as to talk about things I clearly have no knowledge of, such as yourself.

Also just as a fun fact: They rebalanced mining barges and exhumers a while back, the skiff/its t1 variant are now extremely tough mining ships (tech 2 fitted it can tank stationary a destroyer and even a cruiser ganker and moving it can, with some skill, survive a geddon attack) with 3 strip miner laser output on its one laser, the mackinaw/retriever have generous oreholds to store up to 28000 m3 of ore (mack) or 20000 m3 (retriever) and the hulk and covetor have slight bonuses to their yield outputs to edge them into the lead close to 4 strip miner laser output with links, implants and the proper fit.

PS: for high sec you can mine in a skiff with a 15-18 k ore hold (around 15 min of mining time with imperfect skills and no implant), unload in a station and be back mining in under 3-4 min.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

If you wan't people to be less risk-averse, you're asking for removal of the wrong thing. High sec is fine, what you want is for kill mails to be gone.

Sure thing:

Most of them are, but not all. When an a buddy-invited account is activated with money, and not with plex ingame, a plex is created and given to the person who sent the buddy invite.

Sure thing:

I linked you to the exact slide that said the PLEX that are removed from banned accounts are the ones that they are recirculating back into the system.