Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any other DAOCers holding back?

VarshevaVarsheva Member UncommonPosts: 30

Former DAOC player here who has not yet supported the KS.

First off I do wish the team luck in the KS but I just wonder if the no-PVE decision was the best. I know a lot of people played DAOC because of the RvR but for me that was only one aspect. For me the best part was the dependency between RvR/PvE in the design as evidenced by the Darkess Falls megadungeon. I stayed with DAOC for something like a year (left just before TOA)  which was the longest stay in any MMO for me. 

For me I just can't support a PvP only game. Even PvP oriented games likes Shadowbane, Darkfall and Eve had/have a large PvE component. I know not having PvE content will save a ton of development time but you are talking a niche within a niche of people who will play which is being shown by the limited # people pledgeing, although they are pledgeing high amounts.

If they had said 'DAOC 2' I would be there in a heartbeat.. but a PvP only game, I will pass.  Just wondering who prevalent this might be in the former DAOC community?

DAOC Midgard - Bedevere server!

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    I dont mind it just being PVP,  but asking for a sub for a pvp only game is a no go for me. PVE content in mmo's takes the most dev time and effort, and there are tons of games with lots of pve and pvp that dont want a sub. Asking me to back a sub only pvp only game is nuts.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Varsheva

Former DAOC player here who has not yet supported the KS.

First off I do wish the team luck in the KS but I just wonder if the no-PVE decision was the best. I know a lot of people played DAOC because of the RvR but for me that was only one aspect. For me the best part was the dependency between RvR/PvE in the design as evidenced by the Darkess Falls megadungeon. I stayed with DAOC for something like a year (left just before TOA)  which was the longest stay in any MMO for me. 

For me I just can't support a PvP only game. Even PvP oriented games likes Shadowbane, Darkfall and Eve had/have a large PvE component. I know not having PvE content will save a ton of development time but you are talking a niche within a niche of people who will play which is being shown by the limited # people pledgeing, although they are pledgeing high amounts.

If they had said 'DAOC 2' I would be there in a heartbeat.. but a PvP only game, I will pass.  Just wondering who prevalent this might be in the former DAOC community?

DAOC Midgard - Bedevere server!

I am waiting till the very last day.  If it is at 2mil or close to, then I will buy in at whatever level is left.  I will go largest I can of whats left.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179

Hi Varsheva!

Remember, no PvE leveling / grinding does not necessarily mean no PvE. It will just not garner you any experience in the traditional sense. There will be PvE mobs / NPCs, and they will drop certain items / materials needed for the pure Crafter class (another way to add PvE content without the traditional pump and dump of PvE).

The crafters in CU will make the top gear needed by those who only RvR, and there will be a big sense of interdependency between the two types of classes from my understanding.

There is a magificent FAQ created by Damon (aka Consequence) here, that better lays out a lot of the information (and can clear up some misinformation).

http://itcu.enjin.com/forum/m/12563697/viewthread/6521232-camelot-unchained-faq

So while there won't be "traditional" PvE - it might be more interesting / fun that you think.

Also, MJ has stated that he also was in love with Darkness Falls, so I imagine that there may be something very similar implemented (without the need to grind it for tokens). :)

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

i juste manually emailed about 160 people that discussed a thread a long time ago called " What if....DAoC 2".

hopefully it will reach many of them to at least be aware that CU is otw.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Being an ex-long term DaOC player, to me it is a "half dollar short, two minutes too late". There was a time I would have foamed at the mouth to a true DaOC successor but that time has long past. Even if it wasn't, I was one of the few which loved TOA, ML's and Artifacts so the PvE in addition to PvP was what made me love DaOC so much.

Since DaoC, I have played countless other MMO's. So at this point, I have a pretty good feel as to what would be my ideal MMO and based on that, Archeage holds far far more appeal to me than trying to recreate DaOC and travel back in time expecting it to hold the same value as it once did. I would rather play a game based on a rich feature set than nostalga or IP. Unfortunetly it is apparent from visiting these boards, I am in the great minority and most just need a solid IP regardless of the features it actually has.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

What we've seen in the MMO industry in recent years is you can easily make a mediocre game with both mediocre PvE and mediocre to bad RvR but you can't make a great game that has both great PvE and great RvR. It's wise of CSE to focus on one side of the coin and try to make the best RvR MMO possible.

It wouldn't have been possible to make a good game with both PvE and RvR for the amount of money that can be raised on Kickstarter. Not having to deal with the burdens imposed by a publisher was one of the key reasons Mark Jacobs has done the game this way and that necessarily limits what can be in the game.

CU won't be for everybody not even for every DAOC player. That is fine and expected. There is a niche group of players who it does appeal to who will fund it and play it. You can always join in later if you change your mind and want to check it out.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• VarshevaVarsheva Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by steelwind

So at this point, I have a pretty good feel as to what would be my ideal MMO and based on that, Archeage holds far far more appeal to me than trying to recreate DaOC and travel back in time expecting it to hold the same value as it once did.

I am definitely watching Archage as well, although I usually can't get into eastern mmorpg designs. That looks to be more in the spirit of a DAOC 2 than CU although it does not really have true 3 realm combat.

I guess I just wished they did go for DAOC 2 but they are the experts, not me.

If they release more information about non PvP aspects of the game I may still bite. I was mainly trying to understand why hardly more than 6,000 of the 200,000+ DOAC players have pledged.  The above was simply my reason as 1 person.

• CU_now_pleaseCU_now_please Member Posts: 47
    I think the crafting side of the game will fill the hole left by a lack of pve. Whether it be through mining mats, farms?, and actually planning what to make (make less things, but better/actually usefull things) , buildings both oRvR and housing, building the mines, roads... Not tradtitional pve, but the slower paced, planned build up will be a decent mix to the constant battling.

/anon

• VarshevaVarsheva Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by meddyck

It wouldn't have been possible to make a good game with both PvE and RvR for the amount of money that can be raised on Kickstarter.

I think MJ has said it himself that the KS is primarily a measure of the interest in the game. 2 M,  even for a low content game is nothing these days where you need to actually pay artists/programmers the going rate. The bulk will come from other investers who will/would invest after the kickstarter. MJ is publically kicking in 2 M which for him is probably just a single thread in the golden parachute of money he got from EA, my bet would be he would be in for much more than that if the project goes forward through the company that he owns.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by Varsheva

That looks to be more in the spirit of a DAOC 2 than CU although it does not really have true 3 realm combat.

Player created factions are about to hit the test server and live soon hopefully. IMHO I would rather have player created factions than a 3 faction lock, so much more possibility.

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

I wouldn't worry much about no pve progression. There will still be dragons, mobs, and maybe a df type dungeon along with crafting to help fill the gaps where noone is on to rvr with. Not to mention there are plenty of f2p mmos to pve in if you're really looking for a fix. I never understood why people only want to focus on one mmo. If the pvp sucks, but the pve is good and you're into that just find something else to slake your bloodlust and vice versa.

The sub is part of the reason i'm really interested in a pvp only game. I'm hoping it means much more focus on improving rvr quickly as opposed to games like gw2.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Adding comprehensive PvE would cost even more money.

I only pledged for this game because I don't like PvE. The PvE in Darkfall is utterly atrocious. 

I'm glad somebody had the balls to make a game that didn't have PvE, yet at the same time wasn't some shitty arena repeater (Forge, and that other one I forgot the name of).

Hi

• TroianmanTroianman Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

i juste manually emailed about 160 people that discussed a thread a long time ago called " What if....DAoC 2".

hopefully it will reach many of them to at least be aware that CU is otw.

MAILER-DAEMON@<URL> - Delivery Failure

Just kidding, I didn't send out that many but I have definitely notified the various DAoC people I used to roll with as well as many others that I personally know enjoy PvP far more than PvE. Of course the choice as to whether or not they back is on them but if they didn't know about it now they do.

• belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264

I had plenty of fun in PVE in DAOC. But I cannot recall a time that we just did PVE for giggles - it was being done so we could compete in RVR.

I won't miss it.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Dark Age of Camelot was by far the best game I've ever played, but I will not support the kickstarter. I have no faith in Mark, the DAoC Killer, Jacobs. His TOA and NF expansions killed the game for me. I might end up trying the game after reading some great review about it when its finally released. As it is, I'll be playing TESO.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

I seriously can't see NOT supporting the KS.  If you enjoyed DAoC half as much as I did (player from live, quit after TOA and NF, reupped with Classic) it's got to be worth pledging $25 to CU.

DAoC was a perfect training ground for MJ.  He learned, in no unspecific terms, how he could take an awesome game (which he created, in part) and fuck it up to a spectacular degree.  Given how open he has been with the community thus far, I just can't see him making those same mistakes. 

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

I agree with Tumble on this one.

Listen, if a guy can create a game that you used to love with such passion, then screwed it up to the point that you have a seething hatred of the man today, over a decade later... give him at least a little credit for being a Game Designer that was able to inspire such overwhelming emotions in you at all instead of the total apathy that has overwhelemed (or should I say underwhelmed) the genre for the last decade.

Nobody has made me love him or hate him more in this industry, and that's worth something.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Vladamyre
    Dark Age of Camelot was by far the best game I've ever played, but I will not support the kickstarter. I have no faith in Mark, the DAoC Killer, Jacobs. His TOA and NF expansions killed the game for me. I might end up trying the game after reading some great review about it when its finally released. As it is, I'll be playing TESO.

You do realize Matt Firor was a producer at Mythic when TOA and NF were developed? I'm not sure why all the blame for everything that went wrong with DAOC gets put exclusively at Mark Jacobs' feet.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

DAOC was my first MMO, and I had a blast!

But I won't give any money to anyone, won't "pre-order" anything, until the game is done, out, and reviewed. Too many times recently, a supposedly top game company has flopped.

If it is a PvP only game, then I wouldn't play it anyway.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• darkbalthdarkbalth Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I just pledged the 30 dollar tier.  It gives u game and 1 free month which is normally 40+ on all new games so i take it as i am getting a discount on buying the game.  And since i pretty much buy every new game because none have held my interest since daoc i feel i am not losing anything out at all if the game does fail.  Wont be any different then gw2 tera or swtor for me which i spent a lot mor emoney on.
  • NcrediblebulkNcrediblebulk Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by Vladamyre

You do realize Matt Firor was a producer at Mythic when TOA and NF were developed? I'm not sure why all the blame for everything that went wrong with DAOC gets put exclusively at Mark Jacobs' feet.

Don't try and bring logic and facts into this discussion. They might also realize that EA and Games Workshop played major roles in the direction Warhammer went or that Daoc had to do something drastic when WoW launched. I'm not saying ToA/NF were the right design choices just weren't for Daoc. I understand how people could have a certain distaste for Mark because I was one of them up until about a month ago when I chose to let it go and realize, yes he was at fault because ultimately his name was on it but other games and people played a part in what happened on both projects. Honestly I can't blame them for having a dislike in Mark because I was once there. What I don't understand is why pledging $5 just to push the industry, and more importantly the MMO genre, away from only watered down easy mode AAA crap from being published is a bad idea. I wouldn't ever tell anyone what to do with their money as I would expect the same from them. Kickstarter is the path to returning the power to the consumer, because let's be honest people aren't going to quit buying watered down easy mode AAA crap. Now will the ESO be watered down easy mode AAA crap only time will tell and frankly that discussion belongs in another thread.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Yes I am holding back. First off you can't have RvR without the R...LOL! No PvE or realm to fight for, it is just a PvP game. I also don't believe that it will actually be anything like DAoC RvR in anyway, instance with population cap, low for a DAoC gamer I bet. I think it is just a scam!

Yep. I agree entirely. It isn't just about DAoC or NF / TOA etc, or Mark Jacobs, it is about showing the gaming industry that quite a few of us are willing to put our money where our mouths are when it comes to having a game developed that hasn't been done a million times before.

I'm tired of rewarding lazy and unimaginitive. Period.

I also just so happen to be a fan of Mark Jacobs, because no matter what else is said about the man, he has a way of provoking a reaction (whether it be good or bad) and that is far superior than the general malaise and apathy I feel about other games and developers. If you can inspire emotion from a simple video game, you deserve a few bucks imo.

Plus, the $30 tier is a crazy bargain for what you get.

• A digital copy of the game (that right there saves about $30 bucks off of retail on average)
    • an 'Official Thank You' from CSE - althought I couldn't care less about this personally, some people do.
    • Realm Builder Honor and In-Game Badge of Pioneer
    • Five Founders points to use in the Founders Exchange
    • a 'living' Digital Manual
    • Special in-game title
    • Founder's Gravestone
    • Bronze Forum Badge
    • Special Founders APP for iOS and Android
    • Founders ringtones and wallpaper
    • 'living' Digital Strategy Guide
    • Automatic invite to all stress tests and
    • Guaranteed access to Beta 2 (and all future betas from that point on, ie, Beta 3, etc)
    WTF more could you ask for - all for a measly $30 bucks. Heh
  • HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Yes I am holding back. First off you can't have RvR without the R...LOL! No PvE or realm to fight for, it is just a PvP game. I also don't believe that it will actually be anything like DAoC RvR in anyway, instance with population cap, low for a DAoC gamer I bet. I think it is just a scam!

Where did you get that gem, I have underlined?  

There is NO RvR instancing.

The realm is composed of the people, not the scripted mobile graphical objects, you attack in other games.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

I'm sure he doens't want to make tons of promises at this point, but imagine if MJ publically announced there will be something similar to darkness falls in CU LOL.

The increase to kickstarter funding would be huge.

I still shake my head when people say unsure because of no PVE. EVERY OTHER MMO OUT THERE has PVE character development. How about we try something new? I'd love to see RVR character development/skilling/leveling.

Also he just said no PVE character development or PVE loot drops, he's said in several different ways there will absoultely be npc mobs / guards / monsters.

The incentive for killing them will be the interesting part.

For crafting mats directly? (drop) Indirectly? (skin/salvage) or even mroe indirectly (they're guarding crafting mats in an area)

Chaos events?

Guarding keeps / towers / chokepoints?

Other fun stuff we haven't even thought of?

Plus he's said cities/towns will have npcs.

Woohoo!

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women! (townsfolk)

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/