Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General game question about jobs/classes

HendoHendo Member Posts: 2
I was wondering if anyone could think of a game where changing your weapon changed your job/class other than Final Fantasy XIV... It can be any type of game, doens't matter.  I'm just trying to figure out if that was an original idea for FF.  Thanks for any help.

Comments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

First thing comes to mind, why does it matter if its an original idea of FF or not?

Second thing that comes to mind is, since when did changing your weapon change your skills or class/job in FFXIV? Pretty sure its at its core the same as FFXI where one character can be all classes, you go to an npc and select your main/sub job class.

Only games i heard that do what you're talking about is of course GW2 which is the first of its kind(that i know of) and a new game thats either in beta or still development which ikd what it is exactly, i think Camelot maybe? or maybe its another diff new upcoming game.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• PadieuPadieu Member Posts: 40

Hmm Guild wars 2 has a Weapon Swap feature, Weapon swap is the mechanic of switching between the two equipped weapon sets (default key: ~). This ability is unlocked when your character reaches level 7 for all professions except Engineersor elementalists, who use a similar mechanic.

-During combat, swapping has a cooldown of 10 seconds, but you can swap repeatedly out of combat.

-There are several traits and weapon upgrade effects that trigger on swapping.

-If you choose to leave an off-hand slot empty, the game will automatically use the off-hand from the first set when you switch to the second.

-Engineers can trigger on-swap effects by changing kits; elementalists do so by switching between attunements.

-Switching to an environmental weapon will also trigger on-swap effects.

• HendoHendo Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

First thing comes to mind, why does it matter if its an original idea of FF or not?

Second thing that comes to mind is, since when did changing your weapon change your skills or class/job in FFXIV? Pretty sure its at its core the same as FFXI where one character can be all classes, you go to an npc and select your main/sub job class.

Only games i heard that do what you're talking about is of course GW2 which is the first of its kind(that i know of) and a new game thats either in beta or still development which ikd what it is exactly, i think Camelot maybe? or maybe its another diff new upcoming game.

ehh a little debate I'm in with someone over features that are or are not original to the game.  The idea seems like such a nobrainer for changing jobs that I have a hard time believing it hasn't been done before. 

In XIV if you have a sword equipped you will be Gladiator or Paladin(which is the advanced version of the job)  but if you are out of combat and switch to a bow it will change your job to archer/bard

Is that similar to what is in guildwars?  Not sure I could could GW2 since that came out after XIV did

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

In guild wars you don't change jobs, but change actions based on weapon. using the same weapon on different classes results in different class specific actions based on your class, it allows interesting variation and customization of each class based on your weapon choices, maybe even role changing, but not class changing.

I'm not so sure if anyone else has really explored it it's being done in FFXIV and that's is rebooting, so it didn't get much publicity. As easy as it is to level characters in these games though, I don't see why they don't just make alternates a commonplace and expected alternative. If you could just switch characters on the fly, whats the difference? it certainly makes a lot more sense.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.