Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My favorite thing about GW2.

TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,293

My favorite thing about GW2 is the ability to diversify. I LOVE being able to tank, drop back, ranged, move in, tank again.

In all MMOs I'm either ranged or jack of all trades. Almost every class in GW2 has a JOATs feel. I think they did a good job with the weapon/skill switching system.

I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,408

When I first started playing I loved the downleveling ability.  This allowed me to stay in my favorite areas and continue to level.   Now I would probably say I love the combat the most or maybe Asurans or maybe the immense, gorgeous world I get to roam around in...hmm... difficult question.  There are many things I love about this game . I just can't seem to pick just one.  

I'm sure this will upset many on here, but the accessibility of this game is a joy.   It truly caters to the casual type who doesnt want to grind, grind,and grind some more or collect 100 different skills.  Still having a blast and I started at launch.

• MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Unfortunatly, for me at least, i discovered that i really like specialized roles better. Wish there was a game out there with WoW style combat that also had dodge mechanics and weapon switching.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

i dig it too.

i like that i can build my character solidly into one single specialized role and be extremely tank or extremely bursty either way in addition to all the diverse in-between builds.

but i more often end up going for support builds lately.

still, its cool that i can choose all that as i play and build my character and even change all of that any time.  my character isn't defined by the character select screen so much as by the choices i make.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,095
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

My favorite thing about GW2 is the ability to diversify. I LOVE being able to tank, drop back, ranged, move in, tank again.

In all MMOs I'm either ranged or jack of all trades. Almost every class in GW2 has a JOATs feel. I think they did a good job with the weapon/skill switching system.

Agreed!

The combat is the perfect blend of Tab Target and Action and is IMO the best combat in an MMO todate.  Sadly endgame is extremely lacking for me, was hoping for more but I still havn't found a reason to log in for more then a week.  Maybe in a few months I'll be able to check out the newest content.

Even though GW2 isnt a gear game it still needs way more skins.  My biggest problem is the open world drops are non nexistent.  Would love to see them drop the Magic Find stat and allow the high end gear to drop randomly.

Also the lack of meaningful post level cap advancement is sadly lacking, need somethign to spend all those skill points on.  I think it was a big mistake for the horizontal progression of your character to be completed by level 30.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    The combat is the perfect blend of Tab Target and Action and is IMO the best combat in an MMO todate.  Sadly endgame is extremely lacking for me, was hoping for more but I still havn't found a reason to log in for more then a week.  Maybe in a few months I'll be able to check out the newest content.
    I recommend you to come to game for living story. It appears, they will eventually remove it, so if you don't log for a few months, you may miss it (which you may want or not want to do).

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Meriik
    Unfortunatly, for me at least, i discovered that i really like specialized roles better. Wish there was a game out there with WoW style combat that also had dodge mechanics and weapon switching.

The game does allow you to specialize. Certain classes are better at that then others, though.

For example, Warriors, Thieves, and Rangers are all pretty good pure damage roles. The primary difference is you need to think about counters to the situations you're in. For example, if someone's doing heavy damage from range, it doesn't make sense to not bring any form of reflect, blind, etc. In WoW, it didn't really matter most fights, it was heavily simplified.

To put it in perspective, I've had certain groups that definitely felt more like a trinity. Guardians / Warriors in the front soaking up all the damage. Necro / Mesmer / Ele in the back throwing down support, control, and damage. Unfortunately it's hard to see that if you're just playing with a bunch of randoms. Most randoms won't put a 2nd of thought into what they're doing. They just want to do it now.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194

Another sweet thing is that you can not only tank/dps/heal but everyone can also be melee or ranged or both at the same time, you just have to equip a different weapon (even engineer with bombs :p ).

So you don't have the endless "this fight is designed for range!" whining ^^

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 2,842
    Yes, I don't like specialized roles either.  Far too close to playing Rock, Scissors, Paper with a fancy front end.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,767
    I have said this several times recently. At the risk of sounding ike a broken record, I'll say it again. Every class offers multiple playstyles to explore. Not just a couple of variations to a build but many differening playstyles.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Yea same here, this is one of my favorite things.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    My favourite part is the free updates. I used to pay 15 dollars a month for updates! Now i will pay 15 dollars as much as I feel like!

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• DiemosDiemos Member Posts: 129
    I cant nail down a favorite part of the game because there so much to like. Build variation, exploration, open world where you actually see players, TPvP is a blast, SAB, oh man the list could go on!

[PvX]Tempest - Check us out

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,048

My favourite part is the ever changing, immersive world. You can go anywhere, even on your max level character, and still participate in events which are rewarding for you. Even with a level 80 character in a newbie area... unlike most other games, where once you outleveled an area, it's dead for you and not worth coming back.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

When everyone is special, no one is.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 2,842
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

When everyone is special, no one is.

Excellent, isn't it.  Players now have to adapt and be flexible, not be a one-build wonder like the grunts who cling to The Trinity in MMORPGs.  :)

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,867
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    My favourite part is the free updates. I used to pay 15 dollars a month for updates! Now i will pay 15 dollars as much as I feel like!

Exactly.  No other game has as many features and diversified mechanics as GW2.  This goes for subscription and F2P games.   Basic $15 a month subscription models just aren't worth it, even if that $15 is chump change.   B2P is making traction and already makes sense. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I like how it causes teammates to shift the player responsibilities together instead of following a set specific guideline.  Players actually have to work together instead of just being adequate at their defined role.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,019
    my favorite thing about gw2 is that i don't play it anymore

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,408
    You knew this was coming. I was just waiting, lol.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

My #1 favorite thing about GW2, if I had to pick just one, has to be how fully realized and alive the world feels.  Several factors contribute to this, in my opinion: art direction, graphics, environment design, the fluid way events work, the size of the zones, the amount of content crammed into each square inch of each zone, and the way map completion/exploration works (and all the hidden secrets/puzzles that go with that.)

So I guess I couldn't narrow it down to just one thing after all, but they do all combine to create that feeling of a vibrant, living, breathing world that I so crave in my MMOs.  That sensation isn't a product of just one factor.  

• PadieuPadieu Member Posts: 40
     Every event that shows up in or near my path is a moment that inspires a silent but fervent hope from me that there are other players around .That spirit of perpetual cooperation in a living, breathing world is truly what sets Guild Wars 2 apart. The generally joyful, cooperative feeling is enhanced by the way the game measures progression. There are eighty levels, fairly standard, but every action a player takes contributes to a single bar of experience. Crafting, exploration, combat, questing, event participation, even throwing a rez on another player—every action contributes to growth. Nor are skills entirely dependent on a player's level. Hotbar slots do unlock at levels 10, 20, and 30, and players can fill those slots with powerful skills.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,019
    Originally posted by Padieu
     Every event that shows up in or near my path is a moment that inspires a silent but fervent hope from me that there are other players around .That spirit of perpetual cooperation in a living, breathing world is truly what sets Guild Wars 2 apart. The generally joyful, cooperative feeling is enhanced by the way the game measures progression. There are eighty levels, fairly standard, but every action a player takes contributes to a single bar of experience. Crafting, exploration, combat, questing, event participation, even throwing a rez on another player—every action contributes to growth. Nor are skills entirely dependent on a player's level. Hotbar slots do unlock at levels 10, 20, and 30, and players can fill those slots with powerful skills.

Please. Most events that happen so often to the point it feels like spam are soloable very very very easily.  Skills SHOULD be dependant somewhat on a players level. Makes no sense you're a level 1 wizard in training to have access to the same spells as you would at max level, after years(go with me on this) of experience.

Just not to the point of Tera, where most classes don't get their staple skill till you're almost at level cap, like Sorcs with Hailstorm/Burst of Celerity at 48..just stupid.

WoW had a good ratio of level - skills, i never felt like "omg i wanna quit cause i dont have x skill"

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,207

I would have to say the fluidity and the general feel of the combat system - coupled with the fact that my personal skill as a player is vital for success when up against harder encounters.

I do feel that the arsenal is limited and though I'm growing ever more fond of the utility skills I used to write off as too circumstantial - I really think the game would have benefitted from a wider array of powers as you level up. Something like twice the amount of skills and half of them being less about utility and more about extra power.

I used to think the game was too casual and too "comfortable" - but I'm at a place in my life where I've accepted that I don't have the time to invest in these huge timesinks anymore. That doesn't mean that I think games demanding more from the players are worse - it just means they're no longer a true option for me.

GW2 is obviously made with a lot of passion and care - and it shines through in most aspects of the game.

The worst part of it - surprisingly - is the personal story. I think it ranges from average to absolutely awful. I'm not sure how that can happen in a game made with so much love, but maybe it's just a matter of me wanting something different from my stories. It's as if the team and the voice actors handling the story were from another company.

Anyway, I think the game is beautiful and it feels alive. I don't think dynamic events are necessarily better than well-told stories in a linear environment - but I do think they add a lot to the experience. I actually think the game should have had more traditional quests on the side - and perhaps they should have focused on quests in the world instead of the personal stories.

One of my biggest problems when playing is coming up with what I really want to do. If the game had a linear story ON TOP of the dynamic stuff - I would never want for something to do. The personal story should have represented that - but I'm afraid it's just not good enough.

The game lacks something big to "complete" beyond weapon skins and the like. Now, that's not uncommon for MMOs - but I do feel the game should have had more content that required a lot of skill and effort to overcome. Raids is one way to do it - but I'd have preferred more dungeons and true world PvP.

The crafting is wonderfully pleasant and serves as a nice way to level up on the side - and I love how you never feel like you're being held back because you want to gather materials. I used to hate playing with people who constantly had to stop and pick up flowers - but now it's something I want to do myself.

The PvP implementation isn't really for me - because I'm not a big fan of instanced battlegrounds with no tangible effect on the world. WvW is a nice idea - but I find myself a faceless individual with a very limited way of standing out. Yes, I admit it - I WANT to stand out in PvP. I don't want to be just another face in the crowd. Also, I want PvP to be part of the actual world with actual territory to conquer and politics that influence the players. GW2 will never be that - and I accept that.

That said, I understand that lots of people - perhaps even most people - enjoy being part of that social experience driven by the horde. I'm more of a solo/small-crowd player - even if I enjoy being in a guild. WvW must be fantastic if all you want to do is bash some heads without risking your reputation and without potentially nasty consequences.

But I'm rambling.

Suffice to say that I started out being REALLY disappointed in the game and its design. I found it shallow and pointless. But after staying away from it for 6 months - I've changed my position and the more I play, the more it clicks for me.

Games can never be for everyone and I'd certainly be lying if I said GW2 was anywhere near perfect. But it's one of the best made MMOs on the market - and it does enough things differently to be a game all its own, and not yet another clone.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I love their level scaling system. I like the instant level 80 and all skills/weaps/armour unlocked thingie in sPvP. Too bad sPvP is ultra boring.

Originally posted by Sephiroso

WoW had a good ratio of level - skills, i never felt like "omg i wanna quit cause i dont have x skill"

In WoW there were always skills I looked forward to getting which was nice I think. In GW2 this lack of new shiny skills can get demotivating.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,179

The game has really great graphics.

But sadly it couldn't keep me playing.

The lack of progression, and the forcing to use specific weapon skills from 1 to 80 got me bored.

Hated that I prefer greatsword look, but I hate the spells.

Playing ATM: Black Desert, Xbox One
    MMO's shelted: Check my mmorpg profile
    KICKSTARTED: Camelot Unchained. (250 USD)