Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to break the conditioning of MMO?

2»

Comments

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

When players avatar gets experience and player dont,then theres an error.

heres my formula:

www.C64.com

back to the basics and find out whats wrong.

Usually after some C64 sessions i uninstall lots of new games that  i have been testing and try to find some better ones,sometimes i find ,sometimes i dont.

Let's internet

• zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Originally posted by zspawn
    Originally posted by Scalpless

I think about it this way:

What do you get for raiding?

What do you get for getting the Flaming Sword of Badass Slaying +10?

Nothing.

In the end, you "get" as much for playing GW2 or Amnesia as you would get from playing any other MMO. Pointless digital stuff that doesn't make you special in any way.

That's true, however I believe the Flaming Sword of Badass Slaying +10 is more attractive than something else a non-loot centric game offers... I blame the mindset we all adopt (or at least most of us)... 

How to keep it real and honest and dispell the "value" of such items and return to seeking fun than achievements or pixel rewards? :)

I've gotten over the whole gear threadmill. It's meaningless, with the next expansion the gear you worked so hard for, the money you "invested" into that game, it all becomes trivial and you're supposed to go on the threadmill once again for the next tier of stuff.

You should be looking at games for what they are. You're supposed to have fun while playing a game, not feel forced to just about  give up your real life in order to obtain meaningless digital items.

While GW2 isn't all you can dream it could be, it's still a great game for casual players.

I uninstalled everything and I got GW2 hoping I'd break the mould...I also decided never to buy anything with a subscription fee... After all I think that if a game has a fee, they will create the mechanics to justify it... Thus promoting time sinks... However I find myself logging in to GW2 and starting at the screen unmotivated to do anything day after day... I managed to get my guardian to 42 (took me more than 2 months of on/off gameplay) and I can't play with him anymore it bores me to tears... I feel i am neglecting my other games whenever i login to GW2 ( a feeling i never had with WoW or similar games)

I'm wondering if i should just set a GW2 day per week and focus the rest on my other games :P But an MMO that is played only once a week? Oh the blasphemy :D hehe

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    *snip*

I'm wondering if i should just set a GW2 day per week and focus the rest on my other games :P But an MMO that is played only once a week? Oh the blasphemy :D hehe

If you want to play the rest of your games you can. I just play GW2 for a couple of hours a day and I don't miss any other game.

The only problem I have with my guardians is that they run so frickin' slow compared to other classes, maybe there's a skill or trait I still need to stumble upon somewhere, then again they're a big Norn (Level 38 or something) and a big Charr (Level 56), so it could be just an impression because of their size.

I can also play my guardian half asleep most of the time. The class is pretty easy to play. When I get tired I swith to a Guardian for some relatively easy-mode gameplay. Have you actually tried other squishier classes that keep you on your toes more?

I have over a dozen toons and I like to play some classes more than others obviously. But if you have to force yourself to play GW2 then maybe it's really just not for you. Either that or you really need to cut back on your gaming drastically and find some more real life things to do. GW2 is not a replacement, and certainly not a perfect replacement, for an MMO addiction. It for those players that have really had it with being forced to build their life around being able to play a game you're supposed to enjoy.

If you still really miss your other MMO's, then maybe a sabatical is the only thing that will really help you.

imageimage
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

What would be your approach to "break the mould" and "repair" your mindset ?

You don't.  The mindset isn't broken, it's just come to the reality that MMO PVE gameplay consists of doing boring tasks in order to gain up gear and level, in order to get the the "fun" activity.  However, when you do get the "fun" it's only "fun" the first couple of times, then it's back to doing the same stuff over and over, hoping to eventually find more "fun".

The cake is a lie.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

The beauty of buy to play.  Put it down for a few months.  It might feel fresh again.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by XAPKen

The beauty of buy to play.  Put it down for a few months.  It might feel fresh again.

That's true! I doubt i'll ever get a sub based game ever again. The pressure of "i must get my money's value" combined with the mechanics and time sinks a sub based game must employ to keep players paying is a no-no in my book from now on...

• phumbabaphumbaba Member Posts: 138

I would assume that looking for incentives to do things in what ever you do is part of the typical lifestyle we tend to get into after or even while growing up. Part of the problem is also making end game your goal. If the game suffices, I for example have found that I'm able to have more fun, if I don't plan ahead and only play for the moment. Usually I'm able to play well enough to not do anything irrevocable. Of course, some games require me to do a bit research and nearing end game is when it usually occurs.

The topic also touches horizontal progression. E.g. a crafting system might comprise of 400+ levels and be as linear as possible or it might comprise of only handful of levels and be based on making your own inventions, improvements and designs while crafting. Another example is social interactions. Another is player events. Another is sometimes pvp if available. Another is fashion and decoration...

As is well known, end game these days offers much more freedom than leveling. Imo this is faulty game design. Via horizontal leveling and introducing most game elements early enough, I believe games gain longevity. It might encourage players to spend more time leveling. The more the push to end game is, the faster the zerg there is, the bigger the need to plan is, and the bigger the disappointment is. In my experience. No, this isn't related to themepark vs. sandbox.