Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is DAoC Nowadays?

WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I had played this game so much in it's inception and like most people a lot of the drastic changes had really made me look elsewhere...

I gave the game a shot again (I want to say) 2 or 3 years ago on a classic server and it was fun until a point.

What initially turned me off of DAoC was the rampant buffbots which meant if you didn't have one you didn't stand a chance. 

I also like to play melee DPS classes and especially loved the Infiltrator and Scout, however these classes seemed to be nerfed to oblivion. Casters seemed to rule the roost and I was never a fan of caster playstyle.

I miss the game nad I want to go back I am just not sure if it is worth starting from zero again.

Any feedback on the modern DAoC would be greatly appreciated.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Comments

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256

I recently started on one of the free shards where I happened to gather a comment like "on live you can reach lvl 50 in 10 hours, here it takes like one year". Maybe this answer your question in a way...

I never played DAoC in the past but enjoy it very much now. What I'm playing seems to reflect pretty much that what was the "original" stuff, surely not going to check out the "modern" version. So if you consider yourself an old-school player you better stay away from the official server. If you are a young and impatient "get-into-the-action-as-soon-as-possible-player" then the official servers might be your first choice.

Edit: I also hate buff-bots and on the free shard I'm playing they are strictly prohibited. So far I haven't seen any single bot but long lists of accounts that are banned in their forum, at least temporary. Sry can't tell on what server I play, it's against the rules here but you should find out using google or PM.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Monthly subscription..NO WAY
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    I guess that free shards are illegal?
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Ever seen a once powerful fish flopping around on the shore...a few scales are missing.....some blood coming from its gills.....and little hope of reaching the safety and healing  of water.

You really don't want to watch

You go back into the game and its changed but the same.The same issues that drove the game to its present state still exist.

and you step away......again.

• MMOrtyMMOrty Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by picommander

I recently started on one of the free shards where I happened to gather a comment like "on live you can reach lvl 50 in 10 hours, here it takes like one year". Maybe this answer your question in a way...

I never played DAoC in the past but enjoy it very much now. What I'm playing seems to reflect pretty much that what was the "original" stuff, surely not going to check out the "modern" version. So if you consider yourself an old-school player you better stay away from the official server. If you are a young and impatient "get-into-the-action-as-soon-as-possible-player" then the official servers might be your first choice.

Edit: I also hate buff-bots and on the free shard I'm playing they are strictly prohibited. So far I haven't seen any single bot but long lists of accounts that are banned in their forum, at least temporary. Sry can't tell on what server I play, it's against the rules here but you should find out using google or PM.

The big issue I see with free shards is there is so little population.  At least on Ywain (or the main DAoC server) there are always at least 300 to 500 people on in your realm.  That means lots of people to play with and against.

Also buff bots are a little less important now that they have the realm buffs.  They are not quite as good, but will do the trick.

• MMOrtyMMOrty Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    I guess that free shards are illegal?

I don't think so.