Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV ARR, another WoW clone

12346»

Comments

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by alyosha17

In my opinion, game sucks.

Severe graphics downgrade (my compairson screenshots from Version 1 compared with alpha got the thread deleted last time so i wont repost) . It's really sad to see such nice places become so uglified.   Many people in alpha forums were reiterating this point.

Also, in ARR, you just do quest-spam, and the quests are pretty unremarkable.  You can basically play the whole game from your minimap.  Not that you'd be missing much, considering the graphics now.

Combat is boring (general cooldowns, and little strategy).  Doubt anyone will really find it very entertaining unless it's the only MMO they ever played.

Animations suuuuck.  Both the movement animations and also the overly flashy spell animations.  You shoot your bow and it turns into a fireworks display which obscures your entire screen.  So random.

Invisible walls everywhere.  I keep thinking "why is THAT an invisible?  I could easily jump that."  They're literally everywhere.  Also, jump is the most spastic looking thing you'll ever see.  It's like a really fast-paced squatting animation which occurs while you levitate.

Oh yeah, and there's excessive zone lines everywhere.  Why is a town split into two zones now for no reason?  If they're going to downgrade all the textures, shouldn't that allow them to actually increase the zone size?  Not split it up into 1/100th of its size.  It's not necessarily a bad thing except for the fact they advertise zone borders now with heinous blue blinking lights.  Lol, it looks like a landing strip at an airport.

And the tone of the game is also off. They were trying to make it feel like a Final Fantasy.  But actually, Version 1 felt more like a Final Fantasy than this does.  A realm Reborn just feels... so... childish.   Everyone starts off in a cosplay outfit (replete with schoolgirl skirt).  In version one, you started out in class-specific gear which actually was relevant to the artistic integrity of the gameworld.  But now, nope, you're just a schoolgirl in a red and white miniskirt for no reason.  No reason!

It's like S.E. will just stop at nothing to feed people random shit in order to make the game "feel more FF".  Yet it turns out the other way.  The game feels like a cartoon.

Only good thing I can even say about the game is that responsiveness improved.  But only compared to the original game.  Compared to any normal MMO, it's standard.

So Bravo, they ruined many good things about the original, and improved one thing basically.  Two years and 250 staff members well spent?

I really can't take anything you say seriously.  Your post history is unequivically negative about FFXIV.  My dozen or so friends who played alpha loved it.

I also have to say that you sure like to make judgments about a game in alpha.  You complain about animations, but you should be aware that all of the animations wernt' included.

You complain about the quests but have yet to play the pvp, the FATE system, raid content, Housing, choco raising, chocobo pet combat in addition to the myriad of content beign imported from 1.0 (Behests, Squirmish, Primals, etc etc.)

You take 5% of the game in alpha and make a 100% generalization... by definition, that makes you a hater and an opinion worth 0%.

• Theft82Theft82 Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by ZizouX

Severe graphics downgrade (my compairson screenshots from Version 1 compared with alpha got the thread deleted last time so i wont repost) . It's really sad to see such nice places become so uglified.   Many people in alpha forums were reiterating this point.

Also, in ARR, you just do quest-spam, and the quests are pretty unremarkable.  You can basically play the whole game from your minimap.  Not that you'd be missing much, considering the graphics now.

Combat is boring (general cooldowns, and little strategy).  Doubt anyone will really find it very entertaining unless it's the only MMO they ever played.

Animations suuuuck.  Both the movement animations and also the overly flashy spell animations.  You shoot your bow and it turns into a fireworks display which obscures your entire screen.  So random.

Invisible walls everywhere.  I keep thinking "why is THAT an invisible?  I could easily jump that."  They're literally everywhere.  Also, jump is the most spastic looking thing you'll ever see.  It's like a really fast-paced squatting animation which occurs while you levitate.

Oh yeah, and there's excessive zone lines everywhere.  Why is a town split into two zones now for no reason?  If they're going to downgrade all the textures, shouldn't that allow them to actually increase the zone size?  Not split it up into 1/100th of its size.  It's not necessarily a bad thing except for the fact they advertise zone borders now with heinous blue blinking lights.  Lol, it looks like a landing strip at an airport.

And the tone of the game is also off. They were trying to make it feel like a Final Fantasy.  But actually, Version 1 felt more like a Final Fantasy than this does.  A realm Reborn just feels... so... childish.   Everyone starts off in a cosplay outfit (replete with schoolgirl skirt).  In version one, you started out in class-specific gear which actually was relevant to the artistic integrity of the gameworld.  But now, nope, you're just a schoolgirl in a red and white miniskirt for no reason.  No reason!

It's like S.E. will just stop at nothing to feed people random shit in order to make the game "feel more FF".  Yet it turns out the other way.  The game feels like a cartoon.

Only good thing I can even say about the game is that responsiveness improved.  But only compared to the original game.  Compared to any normal MMO, it's standard.

So Bravo, they ruined many good things about the original, and improved one thing basically.  Two years and 250 staff members well spent?

I really can't take anything you say seriously.  Your post history is unequivically negative about FFXIV.  My dozen or so friends who played alpha loved it.

I also have to say that you sure like to make judgments about a game in alpha.  You complain about animations, but you should be aware that all of the animations wernt' included.

You complain about the quests but have yet to play the pvp, the FATE system, raid content, Housing, choco raising, chocobo pet combat in addition to the myriad of content beign imported from 1.0 (Behests, Squirmish, Primals, etc etc.)

You take 5% of the game in alpha and make a 100% generalization... by definition, that makes you a hater and an opinion worth 0%.

BOOMSHACKALACKA!

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Im really hoping beta is an improvement as far as the PVE content goes.  Theres no lack of quests, but its your standard "connect the dots" type of PVE questing progression where you start at quest hub A. and progress to the following quest hubs in a linear fashion wiping out all of its surrounding mobs.

as far as the art direction and animations, I actually liked them. Sure, the graphics are toned down but its still a beautiful game.  For an MMO, one of the most beautiful games i've played.

I miss the story driven portions of the first version, not sure if this is to come or not, or maybe I didnt reach that point yet? I'll admit, theres still a lot I havnt seen, but the few days I spent in alpha didnt really show me anything that struck my interest. I actually liked the first version of FFXIV better because at least it was original.  This just is not.

theres a lot of truth in what Alyosha said, you guys shouldnt just dismiss it because it comes off strongly negative.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

1. If you dont like it, dont play it the community doent need another one of you.

2. Every game you listed that "failed" before wow didnt fail at all. it took years and years to finnally have those games shut down and that only happened due to the companies making a choice. (lets all face it tho no one wanted SWG and COH to shut down)

3. Has the op even played ARR. All Yoshi-P is taking from wow is a zone like quest system, and the ui. The game stil has FFXIV job system and im sure it will be built apon. Its going to have its signature FF story line. Its non generic class based crafting and gathering.

4. Whats wrong with copying wow? The game is successfull the games that copy it are succsefull. I.E Rift, Swotr, EQ2, FFXI. All these games took ideas from one another and in a way made themselves successfull.

If your mad that its a "wow clone" and you condem it for it. You sir dont know how to video game world works and should probally not play any of them.

Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

Im really hoping beta is an improvement as far as the PVE content goes.  Theres no lack of quests, but its your standard "connect the dots" type of PVE questing progression where you start at quest hub A. and progress to the following quest hubs in a linear fashion wiping out all of its surrounding mobs.

as far as the art direction and animations, I actually liked them. Sure, the graphics are toned down but its still a beautiful game.  For an MMO, one of the most beautiful games i've played.

I miss the story driven portions of the first version, not sure if this is to come or not, or maybe I didnt reach that point yet? I'll admit, theres still a lot I havnt seen, but the few days I spent in alpha didnt really show me anything that struck my interest. I actually liked the first version of FFXIV better because at least it was original.  This just is not.

theres a lot of truth in what Alyosha said, you guys shouldnt just dismiss it because it comes off strongly negative.

Voodoo, the alpha wasnt a demo. It was a massivly cut down version of a small segment of the game. The story was disabled due to them still working on it. Alpha means before beta and right after the testers got done. Stop thinking that the alpha was ment to give you a taste of final product we are still at least 6 months away from launch.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    Originally posted by darkrain21

Voodoo, the alpha wasnt a demo. It was a massivly cut down version of a small segment of the game. The story was disabled due to them still working on it. Alpha means before beta and right after the testers got done. Stop thinking that the alpha was ment to give you a taste of final product we are still at least 6 months away from launch.

sorry, i thought i made it clear that im aware of the current state of the game. i mean, isnt that what this thread was opened for?

sorry, i thought i made it clear that im aware of the current state of the game. i mean, isnt that what this thread was opened for?

nah this thread was opened for another person so rip on the fact that the game is wow like and for him to express his deep disturbance over that fact. I would love to see a thread open where people arnt just on there to rag on a non finished non released game simple due to the fact that it is borrowing from other games.

• SushibarfSushibarf Member UncommonPosts: 14

Lighting is much better, the start/stop run and walk animation had frames removed and no tilting when running, which is disappointing but nothing I would complain about.

The thing is, you MAY notice a downgrade if you were previously playing at MAX settings. I don't know many people who were though, as many people (myself included) had to reduce shadows or remove AA to get great FPS. I could play on Max but it wasn't optimal.

Nobody is telling you to lvl through quest.  There is other ways to lvl in the game.

What? Same combat if you played FFXIV after the battle changes besides you start with TP now which makes combat better imo.

Movement changes aren't as good I will give you that but nothing to complain about.  Firework display really?  Play other Final Fantasy games then get back to me after casting a spell.

Read forums they have that for a specific reason which will be changed in Beta not sure if it's NDA or nto so I won't say.

Takes like 2 seconds to load if that.

Really? Complain over starting gear?  Original game had no FF elements till Yoshi took over.... what are you talking about 1.0 had more FF elements?

/facepalm

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

1. If you dont like it, dont play it the community doent need another one of you.

2. Every game you listed that "failed" before wow didnt fail at all. it took years and years to finnally have those games shut down and that only happened due to the companies making a choice. (lets all face it tho no one wanted SWG and COH to shut down)

3. Has the op even played ARR. All Yoshi-P is taking from wow is a zone like quest system, and the ui. The game stil has FFXIV job system and im sure it will be built apon. Its going to have its signature FF story line. Its non generic class based crafting and gathering.

4. Whats wrong with copying wow? The game is successfull the games that copy it are succsefull. I.E Rift, Swotr, EQ2, FFXI. All these games took ideas from one another and in a way made themselves successfull.

If your mad that its a "wow clone" and you condem it for it. You sir dont know how to video game world works and should probally not play any of them.

1. I don't play it anymore....

2. The person asked for a list of games that shut down there servers. I provided it. If you want to talk about game failure it's probably best for another thread.

3. I am in the ARR Alpha. The UI and zone like quest system is not all he is taking from WoW. I don't know how many times I have to say this. What about the soloability of it? What about the short ladder to the top? What about the end game focus (which will be instanced dungeons and raiding)? What about being constantly led by the nose from one area to the next? What about the hybrid classes?

4. I never said anything was wrong with it in this thread. All I have said is that it is what is being done............and people blow up and throw ridiculous statements around.

5. I only play good games. Everquest, FFXI, Deus Ex, Xenogears, Xenosaga, The Longest Journey, Zone of the Enders, etc

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

nah this thread was opened for another person so rip on the fact that the game is wow like and for him to express his deep disturbance over that fact. I would love to see a thread open where people arnt just on there to rag on a non finished non released game simple due to the fact that it is borrowing from other games.

At least, after 15 pages, we are getting to the fact that it is wow like. All I said in the OP concerning its likeness to WoW was "Fuck this." Yes I am deeply disturbed.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

It is tailored to casual and newbee MMO players according to the developer.

Which is fine, but they should have said that right from the start. As far as being a WoW-clone. it is a clone all the way through.

This discussion has been closed.