Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NOO, why a browser!!!

Game of thrones is second on my list as the best novel/story, LOTR coming in first ofcourse.

When they announced that there will be a MMO baed on LOTR ip,i purchased a lifetime membership the day it was available. But i knew it would be a desktop client game. Now LOTRO is just outdated and  just a total grind. 

When they announced Game of thrones mmo i had the same feeling and was ready to buy lifetimer. I saw this as a new permanent mmo that i would love....until it was announced as a browser.

QUESTION: For an IP this big and known, why would they make it a browser? Money issues? lazziness? WHYY?

Comments

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Because it would turn into a crap MMO?

Novels are great but nothing to write home about in regards to MMO quality.  Keep the beloved series out of the gaming world.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Browser base games have come a long way.  I am willing to give it a chance. Some of the newer MMO's will be browser base and they look awesome. Camelot Unchained and Shroud of the Avatar to name a couple.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by furbans

Novels are great but nothing to write home about in regards to MMO quality.  Keep the beloved series out of the gaming world.

I have to agree. Not every IP needs to be turned in to a MMO.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

See what you did?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Browser based games are the way of the future, right up there with single player always-on DRM and incomplete buggy games released with day 1 DLC.

Ahh, what a glorious time to be a gamer.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

Keep the beloved series out of the gaming world.

What is your logic behind that statement? I could maybe understand perhaps they will ruin the story but even though i really hate how outdatted lotro is, turbine really did a 10/10 when it came to keeping the lotr story without ruining it. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Browser base games have come a long way.  I am willing to give it a chance. Some of the newer MMO's will be browser base and they look awesome. Camelot Unchained and Shroud of the Avatar to name a couple.

Browser-based games have come a long way, but they have a long way to go to reach parity with what you can do with a standalone cilent.  Going browser-based cripples what you can do in many ways, such as not being able to offload very much stuff to the video card.