Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it late to start the game?

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Originally posted by Dolmong

I got this game from launch, but I hardly play it coz of real life issue.

Now I like to start MMO coz I missed it, and looks like GW2 a good place to be.

1.)  How you feel about this game so far?  

Its very different from your template MMO , for good and bad.

2.) I'm a casual gamer, and I have lots of busy real life stuffs going on, will I still be having fun?

This game is perfect for you than.

3.) Hows the questing and dungones?  I don't have time for long hours and raid, will I still be enjoying the game?

No raids , dungeons are so optional i barely ever done one.

4.) I'm not big fans of PvP, but I do enjoy world event pvp if play together, how was it?  Rewarding?

Whole end game is world event pvp. Its called World vs World/ It basically has same downfalls as WAR.

But its also fun and they plan to seriously improve it further.

5.)  Is this game rewarding towards gears/achievement if I spend time on it?

Best gear is very easy to get. Its pretty even level there. You basically grind to get best looking gear.

So its more i look better than you competition.

6.) More details will be good to me !! :)  such as any future plan/expansion that GW2 is planning to do ?? 

They are constantly adding things to the game , and plan to do so on regular basis without you needing to pay dime. This is just one example :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6qEESY4x4U

Great thanks guys for any insight.

Basically , if you dont have it you are seriously missing out.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Definitely not too late.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    GW2 is a casual mmo'ers dream. You don't need much time invested to play it. I got bored with it after a few weeks though myself, but I'm not a casual mmo'er.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

1.)  How you feel about this game so far? 1300 hours played since headstart, playing more or less daily, that should give you an idea I hope.

2.) I'm a casual gamer, and I have lots of busy real life stuffs going on, will I still be having fun? Nothing in gw2 requires you to schedule your life around it, perhaps if you want to do highend Spvp since it's the only activity that requires a certain set number of trusted individuals (such as guildies).

3.) Hows the questing and dungones?  I don't have time for long hours and raid, will I still be enjoying the game? "Questing" 1-80 is soloable, nothing amazing but to me significantly more enjoyable then the disconnected quests in your average wow clone, personal story is a bit hit and miss but overall far more enjoyable then your standard block of quest text nobody reads. As for raids see above.

4.) I'm not big fans of PvP, but I do enjoy world event pvp if play together, how was it?  Rewarding? WvW isn't particularly rewarding, you can get a set of the best armor and weapons from WvW currency but you can also visit the auction house (trading post) and just buy it with gold aswell. The only real reward or persistant thing is about trying to keep your server as high up on the score ladder as possible.  Such as this http://mos.millenium.org/matchups but crushing a large zerg blob is quite emotionally rewarding to me atleast lol.

5.)  Is this game rewarding towards gears/achievement if I spend time on it? It really depends, stat wise it's very easy to get to the top or atleast so marginally little away from max that it won't really make a difference at the moment. Achievements are pretty basic, a couple of titles here and there nothing else to show off. The real longer term rewards to work for in gw is "skins" on your armor and weapons IE how your character looks which may not be for everyone.

6.) More details will be good to me !! :)  such as any future plan/expansion that GW2 is planning to do ?? There have been monthly additions to the game since launch I believe (maybe a month or two without a real patch right after launch) and afaik that is going to continue. Some are big some are small but relative to it's cost (free) it's over all really good, some additions exceding content patches of sub mmo's.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by tintilinic

1.)  How you feel about this game so far?  

2.) I'm a casual gamer, and I have lots of busy real life stuffs going on, will I still be having fun?

3.) Hows the questing and dungones?  I don't have time for long hours and raid, will I still be enjoying the game?

4.) I'm not big fans of PvP, but I do enjoy world event pvp if play together, how was it?  Rewarding?

5.)  Is this game rewarding towards gears/achievement if I spend time on it?

6.) More details will be good to me !! :)  such as any future plan/expansion that GW2 is planning to do ?? 

1. I might say its best MMO ive played. And i stared playing MMOs in 2002

2. Its great for casuals and its good for hardcores, fun in GW2 starts at level 1, dont need to constantly farm something for false promise of fun

3. You dont have to step your foot into dungeon if you dont want to, it play however you want game :) DUngeons are 20-30 minutes on average i would say

4. PvP is gem of GW2. You have open world PvP that is WvWvW and your regular battegrounds as sPvP. YOu can start both at level 1 if you want. And WvWvW is most fun, you can level there and its decently rewarding, though not as rewarding as PvE still

5. It is. Theres no gear progression in GW2, its all horizontal, every class has several valid builds and every build needs different stats on gear, or if you like certain look you go after different skins Everything you do ingame rewarsds you with some sort of currency that can be traded for gear, ie. gold/karma/laurels/badges.

6. Its "Play how you want to" game, theres no forcing you to do anything and thats the greatest thing...ever :) Next thing is, its never tooo late to start GW2 since noone will be "left behind" in anything. So even if you havent played in a while you can just pick up where you left :)

[mod edit]

If you already have the game, just play it, you´ll find people who love the game (maybe too much), and people who dont.  Is a casual game from any point of view, but like i said, you should try it for yourself, but chose one of the top 3 servers or you´ll find population problems.

[mod edit]

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

It's kinda weird but the later you start the better it might be. Although starting now means SUPER ADVENTURE BOX. 

GW2 has changed a reasonable amount since launch and continues to add stuff into the game. There's new stuff every month and it's free. I am free to hop in and check things out and if i don't care for the changes i see what's happening next month.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by A1D3N

so whats the end game of gw2?

i brought gw2 and just cant seem to get into it because i go into pvp zone and it makes u lvl 80... so there is no leveling up to do... what do i grind for? what do i do pve quests and kill monsters for? what does pvp do? just give me items? do u get stronger from pve?

Unlike WoW, you class isn't locked into a cookie cutter. In WoW, you have a role. Someone has figured out the best way to set up your spec and gear. That's it. You play that. So endgame is focused around THAT objective. GW2 doesn't have cookie cutter. All the classes I've played have different ways to play them. All of them are viable. You have options. So, your get to explore a multiple of playstyles per class. And when you pin one down that you like, you can then "grind" the gear that supports that build. Play that for a bit. Get bored? Try a different build. Go grind gear for that new build....if you desire.. The point is, you aren't grinding gear to get what has been determined as best in slot, you are grinding gear to support your choices.

• A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

im realy trying to get into GW2, the gfx are so nice, the races and classes are so cool,

but im on it and i feel like im wasting my time killing monsters and doing quest..... because u dont get anything from them???

maby i need a clan or people to play with, i want to beable to grind good items and crush noobs in pvp!!

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

If you like the game it is never too late to play it. That applies for any game. You will most likely get haters to answer things like, yeah the game is dead or its not worth it or yeah too late. Its one of the best mmos in years and its still packed with players. Go play it, if you feel you are having fun then more power to you. Dont let other peoples opinions affect your own. That also applies to any game.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

im realy trying to get into GW2, the gfx are so nice, the races and classes are so cool,

but im on it and i feel like im wasting my time killing monsters and doing quest..... because u dont get anything from them???

maby i need a clan or people to play with, i want to beable to grind good items and crush noobs in pvp!!

Yup good guild is the key.  you get the same pretty much from mobs and quests that you do for any other mmorg - xp, gold,gear.   Note items does not equal crush other people in this game, it ultimately depends on your skill, no gear crutches so its a lot more satisfying.  My suggestion is avoid questing to level if you d'ont enjoy it, either just explore and gather for XP if you like exploring, or pvp for XP.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

@dlld:

Someone didn't read the recent patch notes.

WvW rewards got heavily improved, with ranks and abilities.

I'm rank 14, they don't feel like rewards, more like a "that's neat i guess" side effect.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

What do mean?

As far as crushing noobs in pvp I would recommend simply practicing in sPVP or WvW and get to know your class and all it can do.  Also remember to stay light on your feet.  Nearly every other mmo will keep you rooted in place for just about all of their moves.  GW2 lets you position and attack simultaneously as you see fit.  Yes, some moves will root you, but those are usually your big finishers that really hit hard.  As far as games with PVP, the only other game I can think of that allows you to do that with their combat system is DCUO.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

It's not like WoW where you can look up a particular quested item and say...OK, I want that let's plan out how I can get that. But in general, good gear is not very difficult to obtain. Most gear that will allow you to be effective is very affordable off the TP. In most cases, if you know what you are doing in a dungeon and aren't in a PUG ful of elitist wannabes who think you are all gonna run the dungeon in 5 minutes cuz the Guardian has all Berserker gear cuz theyz gonna DPS everything down in seconds., you will find that Rare gear (1 step under exotics) does quite well in dungeons. In fact, I'd say getting good gear is easier than getting the right gear. It's entirely up to you.

Edit:

Take a look at this link.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/mesmer/List-Find-your-Mesmer-Build-Guides

Every single one of those links is a different build with varying playstyles and gear builds on a single class. You could spend months exploring all the possibilities one class has to offer.

• ArzacaneArzacane Member UncommonPosts: 24

I personally love the game.

Let's start from the beginning.

There's 5 races to begin with, and each race has all classes available. There's plenty of customizing to choose from to make your charecter feel more like you. You then choose your charecter background which will mold your personal story. Granted the stories will cross pathes and all end up in the same area, but playing different races/classes/background help break up monotony in the game.

When you start playing, if you decide you don't like this race's starting area, you can easily make it to another's if you prefur theirs. Now I haven't gotten very far as I've mostly played on my brother's account, but watching him play, I see him go from crafting, fractals(puzzle/mission thingies), WvW, and quite a few other things. To me, it looks like there's plenty to keep you busy when you max your level.

You had mentioned concern about casual playing. There's no rush. Your personal story will not interfere with your leveling so if you want to do all the missions in a zone before heading back to do your story, it's fine. Nothing will interupt the other things you're doing. And if you decide to take a week off, that's ok, too. There's no "leaving you behind" that I can see in this game. As far as geer, there is legendary weapons which seem hard to get from my understanding, but it's not going to cripple you not having them. Alot of what makes you you is your skills.

• DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

WOW thanks for all the response !!

I'm sold!!

Which server should I start on? (I'm alone, if any guild welcome for casual gamer like me I'm welcome to join you)

Also which class is preferably more enjoyable to you !? 

I can't believe this little topic can last 5 pages !! WOOHOO !! Now I can tell the community is great !

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I'm sold!!

Which server should I start on? (I'm alone, if any guild welcome for casual gamer like me I'm welcome to join you)

I can't believe this little topic can last 5 pages !! WOOHOO !! Now I can tell the community is great !

Sanctum of Rall, Jade Quarry or Blackgate are probably your best bets for server.. class really depends on style.. what type of class do youl ike to play normally?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well I made it clear numberous times I feel the game is over-rated and for me it was just boring and lack luster, so lets just sum up those points as for the whole 'worth playing' yada yada stuff there from me. In the end its up to YOU if you like the game. Considering it sounds as you own the game, theres no reason for you not to play it and get your own opinion on it.

Is it to late to start? That is something I feel should never be to late with any game. Unfortunately, with events being a big part on leveling (at least without having to do hearts all the time which can be quite boring) it can be a little bit more tricky as some areas can be more 'empty', but its still very possible and I'm sure you will find people around to do them with. Some are actually relatively easy to do without groups as well so you can likely get through it just fine.

Will it be as good as when the game was launched? No, but thats any game. I always feel its 'never to late' to jump into a game in most cases, theres always a 'ceiling' of sorts that allows you to catch up. If you enjoy the game and like it, I'd say jump in and don't worry about being 'late'. In the end, you should be able to catch up just fine.

In short: If you enjoy the game, play it no matter how long its been out. This is something I can say about any game out there. 

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I'm sold!!

If you're looking for a little more PvE focus than WvW Elite, you can try Tarnished Coast Un-Official RP server with most guesters (folks who visit from other servers).

Edit: I like guard the most, but I've got 5 lvl 80s :) Depends on your playstyle.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

I'm sold!!

Sanctum of Rall, Jade Quarry or Blackgate are probably your best bets for server.. class really depends on style.. what type of class do youl ike to play normally?

Dolmong is from Asia though (Hong Kong), no idea what server would be best for him timezone wise.

ahh didn't see that.. true true..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I'm sold!!

Dolmong is from Asia though (Hong Kong), no idea what server would be best for him timezone wise.

Then which server you prefer for me ?? :D 

I'm sold!!

honestly don't know.. jade quarry may still be good as they always are busy.. but maybe one of the EU servers would be better not sure though as I'm in the US

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I'm sold!!

As a Jade Quarry resident I can say that if you want plenty of people for PvE JQ will work quite nicely for you there, but WvW is where we really shine. Just something about the WvW community there that's really meshing right now. Great coverage 'round the clock, great guilds and commanders... if you go for JQ, look me up and you'll be welcome to join with FIRE (firebat) if you're interested in a heavy WvW guild. We also do the guild missions and the like, some Fractal or dungeon runs, etc. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

I'm sold!!

As a Jade Quarry resident I can say that if you want plenty of people for PvE JQ will work quite nicely for you there, but WvW is where we really shine. Just something about the WvW community there that's really meshing right now. Great coverage 'round the clock, great guilds and commanders... if you go for JQ, look me up and you'll be welcome to join with FIRE (firebat) if you're interested in a heavy WvW guild. We also do the guild missions and the like, some Fractal or dungeon runs, etc. 

Sounds good to me, I'll login to find you, is your in game name same as your MMORPG ?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Volkon

I'm sold!!

Sounds good to me, I'll login to find you, is your in game name same as your MMORPG ?

It is, I'm just not logged in right now. Work and all that. :)

About... four or five hours from now, however... 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128

I solo'd all the way to max and completed the entire storyline without needing to enter a dungeon... after trying a few dungeons I couldn't be bothered to log back in.

You can definately experience all non-dungeon content on your own time... so considering there is not monthly I say give main story a run through, heck, you already paid for it anyways.