Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be Warned the game looks to be very short!

12346»

Comments

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I know what this guy's done from my experience in the last beta weekend. He's put his blinkers on, ignored all the side missions and just followed the main storyline events. He's probably bypassed 70% of the content.

I did the same thing with my first character. Took me around 4 hours to get all the way to the last Storyline Mission (in the beta that is), and when that was complete, all those "side missions" vanished off the map. So I made a new char and at each stage of the main mission, new side missions became available on the map. I'd then go and do all of those before moving on to the next main mission.

By doing this my 2nd char played the rest of the weekend and only made it about half way through the main storyline (again, only the part that was shown in the beta, not the full story). So yeah, you can probably get through the main story in fairly short order, but there is other stuff going on. If you paid for the game you may as well take advantage of that content. Seems a waste to just bypass it all.

Its kinda like a sandbox, the main storyline is always short because your meant to explore and not just focus on the main storyline. The problem with mmo's today is they are WAY WAY too soloable, make everything require grouping and progression will slow down, never know maybe the garbage mmorpg communities these days might actually learn how to respect each other a bit if they can't just plow thru everything solo. EG FF11, your rep means alot in that game, not as much today as it used to, but, if you were an ass word got out and you'd be refused for parties because people don't wanna bother with someone like you. when I played FF11 pre-abbysea, I had a fairly long blacklist of people i'd never invite to my party, I usually made my own parties as well.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I know what this guy's done from my experience in the last beta weekend. He's put his blinkers on, ignored all the side missions and just followed the main storyline events. He's probably bypassed 70% of the content.

I did the same thing with my first character. Took me around 4 hours to get all the way to the last Storyline Mission (in the beta that is), and when that was complete, all those "side missions" vanished off the map. So I made a new char and at each stage of the main mission, new side missions became available on the map. I'd then go and do all of those before moving on to the next main mission.

By doing this my 2nd char played the rest of the weekend and only made it about half way through the main storyline (again, only the part that was shown in the beta, not the full story). So yeah, you can probably get through the main story in fairly short order, but there is other stuff going on. If you paid for the game you may as well take advantage of that content. Seems a waste to just bypass it all.

Its kinda like a sandbox, the main storyline is always short because your meant to explore and not just focus on the main storyline. The problem with mmo's today is they are WAY WAY too soloable, make everything require grouping and progression will slow down, never know maybe the garbage mmorpg communities these days might actually learn how to respect each other a bit if they can't just plow thru everything solo. EG FF11, your rep means alot in that game, not as much today as it used to, but, if you were an ass word got out and you'd be refused for parties because people don't wanna bother with someone like you. when I played FF11 pre-abbysea, I had a fairly long blacklist of people i'd never invite to my party, I usually made my own parties as well.

yes cause the WoW community was so great back in the days when you had to team to get things done.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345
    As much as I'm enjoying the game, it was indeed a rather short series of main quests. Honestly, the game reminds me a lot of Mass Effect 3; you beat the campaign, then you go online and farm $$ to buy keys to get gear from boxes. If you look at it like an online shooter with a campaign and an online option, it's not that bad; however, an MMORPG it is not.
  • sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Scripted mmos are always short.

An mmo can only rely on solo questing and cut scenes som much before players are extremely bored (cough swtor).

All script, no depth.

The map currently is extremely small!

Can't help to bring it up, but it's for comparison sake.

If you look at the worldsize of WoW at launch, then the entire Defiance map pretty much fits into two of the smaller WoW zones.

That's like 1/50th the size of the entire landmass WoW had at launch.

Again.... just for comparison sake.

This game feels extremely rushed... almost in Cryptic Studios style.

It feels like the game has been developed within 2 years max!

Even the average single player RPG game has more content that this game. /shrug

TES: Skyrim for example completely dwarfs this game! Just the Main Storyline of Skryim takes way longer to complete then the Main storyline of Defiance. Not to mention the immense size of the Skyrim gameworld compared to Defiance tiny map.

With the current inflated Cashshop prices, it seems TRION is trying to quickly cash on this one... probably expecting the show not to last beyond the 12 episodes of the First Season... and so calculating the life expectancy of the game (regarding decent population).

I feel sorry for the people that got suckered in for the 30 dollar Season Pass for 5 DLC's. Unless TRION manages to push out that many within 3-4 months.

/facepalm

What you said about map size and comparing it to the two smallest wow zones is totally false. Defiance map size is definately bigger than the two smallest wow zones 

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I thought 5000 EGO points was quite high at launch , but Iv'e only played for 5 hours up to now. That max will probably go up when we get the DLC's though.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by n00bit
    As much as I'm enjoying the game, it was indeed a rather short series of main quests. Honestly, the game reminds me a lot of Mass Effect 3; you beat the campaign, then you go online and farm $$ to buy keys to get gear from boxes. If you look at it like an online shooter with a campaign and an online option, it's not that bad; however, an MMORPG it is not.

Join the futuristic online open-world shooter where thousands of players scour a transformed Earth competing for alien technology. Hunt alone or with others as you improve your skills and level up, unlocking powerful weapons that will help you survive the massive battles that await. Unique Open-world Shooter https://www.defiance.com/en/game/overview/what-is-defiance/

Could that be the reason why many seem disappointed? Thinking as if the game is supose to be a MMORPG, yet even Defiance's own website stated they are an online open world shooter.....

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I've played for 3 days and already finished half the areas COMPLETELY (all missions and side missions, gold medal on all challenges, data recroders, etc).  The world is small and there is a small amount of ocntent, there is no denying it.  And a lot of it is EXTREMELY repeitive - the side missions, which are the most abundant by far are absolute snooze fests and the arkfalls are pretty much the same way.  Once you've done a few it's just boring because there is very little variety in those too. 
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Of course the current content is short if you only do 1 type of content. The main storyline is only a small portion of what there is and will be to do. The story is currently only sort of an intro, and it will continue once the show launches in a couple weeks. Until then there is plenty of other stuff to do:

Not even accounting for the main storyline youve got at least a few weeks worth of content just from going after Pursuits. Im not even including the ones which would likely take you even longer such as logging 500 hours of participating in PvP matches, reaching 5000 EGO rating, etc.

Then there are also the Contracts which you complete for faction points in order to buy faction based weapons from special vendors. The Contracts have both daily and weekly versions which change each day / week. Some of these are also PvP based.

You will also continue unlocking new Co-op Missions (instances) as your EGO rating gets higher. Unsure exactly how many there are total and at what EGO ratings. Im currently at a little over 400 and have I think 5 unlocked so far with at least a couple more coming that I know from alpha.

Dozens of side missions.

"Episode Missions" which are sort of a secondary main story and for now have involved your meeting up with and helping out Noah and Irisa, the 2 main characters from the 14 minutes of the 1st episode they have posted. So far this has been spread out over like 10 or so missions that I have reached so far and Im only in the 3rd area.

"Emergencies" which are like quick little open missions spread all over the map (kind of like PQs in WAR, theyre just there waiting for people to come along and complete while travelling around).

Arkfalls constantly happening.

PvP matches

Shadow Wars

And all of that is just the launch and doesn't include the content they will be releasing on a regular basis once the show airs. Which btw, only some of the content will be paid DLC content. They will be releasing new missions, etc for free to everyone. Buying the DLC just gets you even more stuff. So wether you pay extra or not you will still be getting new content regularly. Paying just determines how much you get.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by n00bit

Join the futuristic online open-world shooter where thousands of players scour a transformed Earth competing for alien technology. Hunt alone or with others as you improve your skills and level up, unlocking powerful weapons that will help you survive the massive battles that await. Unique Open-world Shooter https://www.defiance.com/en/game/overview/what-is-defiance/

Could that be the reason why many seem disappointed? Thinking as if the game is supose to be a MMORPG, yet even Defiance's own website stated they are an online open world shooter.....

QFT.

Realistically...this game is a shooter version of GW2 but with progression.  Everyone on this site LOVED GW2 because it was well...everything they now hate with this game (strange isnt it?)

Its a fun game, i dont play games and get mad at what they are not though, i just try to enjoy my time in game and when i get the urge to move on...i just do it.  No emotional damage occuring from buying a game that didnt last me a decade 15 hours a day.

I really think people expect that mmo's these days have every single feature they want, and done how they want them, but on top of that must provide 15hrs a day entertainment for a decade...and even then it will get hated on.

Look on the bright side though, game cant be that bad, only a few people seem to really hate it.  Certainly didnt get the typical overhype mania followed by epic dissapointment due to said overhyping, as weve seen in other game.

Man people are so stupid sometimes...

All this stress and anger...over...games? 

I only wish people got half as mad over government as they do with mmo games...i think things would be a lot better outside your virtual safe zone lol.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Ive played 30+ hours ATLEAST and im just hitting the last area. Ive done all side missions and arkfalls along the way. Not to mention pursuits (achieves) and so far im having a blast. I loved borderlands 2 and its loot addiction and I get the same feeling in this game. Sure it has its problems but what mmo launch doesnt? 

Trion is probably the ONLY mmo dev right now that I trust to have fast and amazing content updates. The ingame store isnt broken sure outfits cost 5-12$ but i have no need for those when the game itself supplies numerous awesome outfits. 

Cant wait for the show and more updates!

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• BrianMMOBrianMMO Member Posts: 45

I also have the feeling that this is a game which doesn't have the breath to survive long-term. At least, Trion was reasonable enough to pass on a subcription model.

---

Please visit my blog and tell me if you like it, thx

http://www.my-mmo-diary.blogspot.com/

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by BrianMMO

I also have the feeling that this is a game which doesn't have the breath to survive long-term. At least, Trion was reasonable enough to pass on a subcription model.

---

Please visit my blog and tell me if you like it, thx

http://www.my-mmo-diary.blogspot.com/

curious how would a cross platform game go f2p? Even if it doesn't do well on PC it may get a reduced price but it's still a cross platform game.. i couldn't see it being offered for free on console so doesn't make much sense that it would go f2p on just one platform and not the other..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BrianMMOBrianMMO Member Posts: 45
    In the end, it's all about money. That is also the reason why some games have different publishers on different continents. F2P means you are reyling just on DLCs. Indeed, they can go separate way since it's not cross-play, But look at DC Universe Online. Both PS3 and PC once have been subs before. The real challenge comes when the big contenders like Elder Scrolls or Wildstar come or when big games like World of Warcraft release an expansion. So only time will tell which plattform is more profitable and which not. The ones which are not profitable, will become F2P regardless of the other versions.