Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be Warned the game looks to be very short!

Comments

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by cm01
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

So, because the world is not huge as Azeroth, I am not allowed to enjoy this game?

Please...

Remember, a show runs next to this game. When the show has launched, the game and the show will affect each other. Don't tell me that wouldn't include updates.

Nobody here mentioned WoW, except you. Grats wowboy.

All online games have updates, show or not. Does the show mean you'll get a lot more than other games? No reason to believe so, but time will tell.

actully several of the early post in this thread did compare the size of defience to the size of WoW, several people sa the all of defience can fit withen a zone in WoW ( which is nonsence)

to be honest what did yall expect. while it is not as small as people make it out to be it IS based inside one city, hate to tell you this but most cities arnt as big as people think they are, this game did a fairly good scaleing of the actual size.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Adren
    Think about it tho if its 12 hrs to beat the game now maybe in every episode theres another 12 hours to the story mode added im sure after every episode they wouldnt add just a small amount of content during every episode

LOL! They spend 2 years giving us the 30 hours of content we got now. And you think they can deliver 12 hours worth of content every single week with each episode?

I would love to know what you are smoking! I would like some of it as well. lol.

actually..do u think they can just keep coming up with dlc or updates EVERY week..no all of it is prolly already made for each episode of the series...everytime a episode comes out...the next day...update...oooo new content...next week another episode comes out....boom more new content...they didnt give us the whole game...hell they are already working on season 2 of the series..all of season 1 content is prolly done.. just hasnt been released yet

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

I understand why they didn't release tons of content for a couple of reasons:

1) The TV show tie ins. Hard to 'change the world', when you've built it all already. If you don't understand why the game is in SF and the show in StL, then you need to do more research.

2) This game is not subscription based. It is a shooter. People who enjoy shooters don't expect gigantic worlds, they're used to playing the same 10 maps, over and over again. Plus with the PvP aspect of it, you need player density. What good is a PvP hotspot if only one person is within 10 miles of it?

Now, would I love more content? Of course. Who wouldn't? But I am realistic (and don't care about 'beating the story' super fast).

A friend of mine and I started a new game of Saints Row 3 the other day. We beat the 'story' in Co-op in 3 nights of playing a few hours each. And we'd already beaten it before. But it was a blast to do again. And we keep playing, even after just because the game is fun to play... That's what it is about: FUN. If a game is not fun, then why play it? If it is fun, then great! Not every game is fun for every person.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by cm01
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

So, because the world is not huge as Azeroth, I am not allowed to enjoy this game?

Please...

Remember, a show runs next to this game. When the show has launched, the game and the show will affect each other. Don't tell me that wouldn't include updates.

Nobody here mentioned WoW, except you. Grats wowboy.

All online games have updates, show or not. Does the show mean you'll get a lot more than other games? No reason to believe so, but time will tell.

actully several of the early post in this thread did compare the size of defience to the size of WoW, several people sa the all of defience can fit withen a zone in WoW ( which is nonsence)

to be honest what did yall expect. while it is not as small as people make it out to be it IS based inside one city, hate to tell you this but most cities arnt as big as people think they are, this game did a fairly good scaleing of the actual size.

Just the city of San Francisco, IRL, is over 121 Sq. KM. The entire Bay Area, IRL, is over 600 Sq. KM. This game is far from being to scale. Vehicle travel, though fun as hell, just serves to make the game seem even smaller.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I love the players on this forum on how they state a game should now be FREE downloads now instead of a B2P.

Makes me chuckle and think how many players want free rides for everything.

Defiance is a shooter, no different than CoD now, but we all still pay the box price for CoD and we dump money for their DLC as well. We just have alot of cheap bastards that want free games on this website. Get a job to pay for your hobbie or just stick to browser based games for enjoyment.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by fiontar
    Vehicle travel, though fun as hell, just serves to make the game seem even smaller.

Eight minutes from start to bridge --

'Small' is giving it too much credit, honestly.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Lots of tears in this thread, but people dont hesitated to throw 60 bucks at some crappy PC or Console single player game they burn up in 15 hours of game play that has no replayability.

Dry your eyes and go find your teddy bears.

edit: F2P games have just destroyed peoples perspective on gaming

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by eric_w66

1) The TV show tie ins. Hard to 'change the world', when you've built it all already. If you don't understand why the game is in SF and the show in StL, then you need to do more research.

2) This game is not subscription based. It is a shooter. People who enjoy shooters don't expect gigantic worlds, they're used to playing the same 10 maps, over and over again. Plus with the PvP aspect of it, you need player density. What good is a PvP hotspot if only one person is within 10 miles of it?

Ooooorr the game is just a quick cash grab, charging a premium box price for a substandard product and then selling small bits of content for additional fees. Like, you know, plenty of people on this board have warned before release.

Comparing Defiance to recent titles in the genre, GW2 and Secret World come to mind, paints a pretty clear picture and that's with all the problems FunCom's latest game itself had and has considered.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

For me, the issue is very clear, gamers expect too much and research too little.  If you followed the forums, got into beta or watched youtube videos and read up on the official site, you knew what to expect.  If you expected Rift with guns, you got disappointed.  All the complaining about the $60 price tag for what you get is astounding to me.  Even if that guy only got 12 hours of fun from the game and finished it with NOTHING else to do in the game, he still got his moneys worth.  Just taking my 2 sons to the movies and buying one popcorn and three large cokes costs me about as much as this game and we only get 2 hours of entertainment.  The guy playing 12 hours got entertained for $5 an hour and obviously was entertained enough to play 12 hours in one day.  I dont know about you but that doesnt sounds like he was hating the game the whole time when he played that long in a day.

I am having fun in the game, finding new places to drive my ATV off of, finding new challenges to try and jumping into random arkfall events.  I dont think the game is perfect and yes, I would like to see more added to the game and some things fixed/changed.  But I am enjoying it for what it is and I like that I can jump in and shoot something right away.  It is a good fit for me and my limited play-time schedule.  I'm happy with my purchase and am looking forward to how it gets integrated with the TV series.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Scripted mmos are always short.

An mmo can only rely on solo questing and cut scenes so much before players are extremely bored (cough swtor).

All script, no depth.

Progressing through all of the scripted story and stuff in SWTOR takes an entire journey from level 1-50, for one of the stories.  I hate that game, but it's got content that will chew up some time.  In Defiance I've finished half of the content in a matter of a couple days.  And people all over the place are completing all the missions already - that is a HUGE difference.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

This game is short in tems of what?

What you can do after main mission is completed:

Shadow Wars

Instanced PvP

CO-OP

Open world Raids.

Like any other MMORPG.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    ongoing lore is nice but it wont carry the game. the game still lacks content. arkfalls and sidemissions will get repeatative most for hardcore gamers. this game needs major mmo feel to it cause atm it feels like solo. besides arkfall, all the missions and lore u do can be solod. glad i waited to see. i will still wait and see for future content but atm game isnt worth 60 buks for the lack of contents they offer mostly if you're a pc gamer.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Amegashie

Ooooorr the game is just a quick cash grab, charging a premium box price for a substandard product and then selling small bits of content for additional fees. Like, you know, plenty of people on this board have warned before release.

Comparing Defiance to recent titles in the genre, GW2 and Secret World come to mind, paints a pretty clear picture and that's with all the problems FunCom's latest game itself had and has considered.

The difference is that The Secret World actually has landmass and content in the game at launch!

The reason why TSW did so poor, was it's setting (niche market), no advertisement (as they ran out of cash) and launching in the middle of the summer! Not to mention right after the announcement of the launchdate of Guild Wars 2, which was hyped and advertised to death compared to TSW!

TSW itself is actually a great game and I am still playing it since launch. But due to it's setting and freeform progression approach it's pretty much a "You either love it or hate it" affair.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Talonsin

For me, the issue is very clear, gamers expect too much and research too little.  If you followed the forums, got into beta or watched youtube videos and read up on the official site, you knew what to expect.  If you expected Rift with guns, you got disappointed.  All the complaining about the $60 price tag for what you get is astounding to me.  Even if that guy only got 12 hours of fun from the game and finished it with NOTHING else to do in the game, he still got his moneys worth.  Just taking my 2 sons to the movies and buying one popcorn and three large cokes costs me about as much as this game and we only get 2 hours of entertainment.  The guy playing 12 hours got entertained for $5 an hour and obviously was entertained enough to play 12 hours in one day.  I dont know about you but that doesnt sounds like he was hating the game the whole time when he played that long in a day.

I am having fun in the game, finding new places to drive my ATV off of, finding new challenges to try and jumping into random arkfall events.  I dont think the game is perfect and yes, I would like to see more added to the game and some things fixed/changed.  But I am enjoying it for what it is and I like that I can jump in and shoot something right away.  It is a good fit for me and my limited play-time schedule.  I'm happy with my purchase and am looking forward to how it gets integrated with the TV series.

I agree we should not bash Trion and Defiance. I played the game in beta, and found it really enjoyable.

But just for raw comparison : I payed 60$ for GW2 - played it from the first closed beta event to today almost every day - and yesterday I did guild mission , figured out that there are zones i still have not even visited ...

But yes. Defiance does have real good gameplay and ground for being excellent game.

Just stop bashing it, and maybe it will get there ?

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I have played for about 22 hours since launch I bought deluxe version and I am still only about 40% through the main story.

Every quest opens up new side missions, jumps in ego open up contract missions, arkfalls and group play happen all the time.

Games that were a waste of my money simcity and colonial marines but not this, remember trion released Rift and updated it almost weekly with content and improvements and still do.

Defiance is only a couple of days old and yes if you grind through it you will complete everything in days as with most shooters out there but it does have a lot more to it, if you take your time explore and do all that is offered.

I trust trion far more than EA or sony at this point.

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Why do people just accept this is a bit puzzling for me. Prices has gone up for games, most of the time you don't even get the full content and have micro transactions ready on day one. Yet the quality and content we get are lowered every time.

People try to justify it with other entertainment. No sorry, I don't follow that logic. Most stuff is digital, the costs they save is rather huge yet we still pay the same price for digital as we would pay for a boxed version. That there is their new profit for increased costs. Yet they all want to slam in additional fees here and there.

Taking the examples of the past years we can also be pretty certain instead of having the normal montly fee, the cash shop will most likely be costing you more for the same amount of content with an online game with a monthly fee.

That being said I really am happy people enjoy the game, after all that is why you should play one. But in the same time we are constantly getting shafted by poor excuses of the publishers/devs. And no defending their content slicing/lazy multiplatform development for more profit is not okay. It's doing the industry no good.

Originally posted by tofke
    People try to justify it with other entertainment. No sorry, I don't follow that logic. Most stuff is digital, the costs they save is rather huge yet we still pay the same price for digital as we would pay for a boxed version. That there is their new profit for increased costs. Yet they all want to slam in additional fees here and there.

Taking the examples of the past years we can also be pretty certain instead of having the normal montly fee, the cash shop will most likely be costing you more for the same amount of content with an online game with a monthly fee.

That being said I really am happy people enjoy the game, after all that is why you should play one. But in the same time we are constantly getting shafted by poor excuses of the publishers/devs. And no defending their content slicing/lazy multiplatform development for more profit is not okay. It's doing the industry no good.

What others don't seem to accept is some of us actually see Defiance as a good game and well worth the money, we purchased it with our eyes open, knowing of the cash shop, knowing of the small scale and knowing trion.

This game was and is great value, I am now into my 30th hour of playing, my char is ego level 323 and I am having an absolute blast both solo and in groups, yes it has flaws and problems but I trust trion to evolve this product over time.

I never got 1% of my value out of colonial marines or simcity, I am one of the ones who bought the collectors edition of SWTOR £189 including delivery, I do not enjoy the game as an mmo I left but before I did 4 classes to 50 and 200+ hours of fun.

I supose it all depends on how you view things, we all know every company is out to make money and as much money as possible or they very quickly go broke, I trust Funcom and Trion in the mmo genre and that is about it.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Scripted mmos are always short.

An mmo can only rely on solo questing and cut scenes so much before players are extremely bored (cough swtor).

All script, no depth.

This is the reason why i dont even consider them MMOs. they are more like single player games with others running around in your way. they arnt massive worlds for characters to live in anymore....

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Here i am, in yet another thread, posting some logical info that most will ignore in order to troll.

The game isnt going to pass the show up in content, its not going to spoil whatever money syfy is spending on the TV production by including the entire seasons worth of content at launch.

Expect more free content next episode.

Basically if all you care about if the main story then youll be out of content for a period of time.  Worked the same way in TSW when people did the same thing and cried it was a shallow and short game. 

I will say that this is a good sign if the trolls can only latch on to this as the main issue with the game, considering its Trion i would say the odds are good that more content is comming and fast. 

Again, they are NOT going to wreck the TV series plot line and content just because a few people will race through the main storyline content in the game.

i cant figure out why this is such a difficult concept to grasp since the tv show tie in has been know for years now. 

Example of content that I am happy with, I just finished a main mission which did the following

1)opened up next main mission

2)three side missions

Now while on my way to the first side mission  I encounted 5 random missions including carjack, hostage and skittering random little missions that some would pass up but I really enjoy I mean guns plus explosions plus violence why not.

Completed the side mission which was helping a farmer defeat some bandits, on my way to the next side mission I saw a major arkfall including 5 different arkfalls and spent time shooting lots of things and generally having fun, once that was over I continued towards my next side mission up which 4 more random little missions presented myself and so on.

While we would all love more content i am quite happy with the pace and fun of the game, in all today I did the following

2 main missions

4 side quests

32 random events

6 arkfalls

This does not count my time spent driving around exploring and doing speed challenges etc.

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Amegashie

The difference is that The Secret World actually has landmass and content in the game at launch!

The reason why TSW did so poor, was it's setting (niche market), no advertisement (as they ran out of cash) and launching in the middle of the summer! Not to mention right after the announcement of the launchdate of Guild Wars 2, which was hyped and advertised to death compared to TSW!

TSW itself is actually a great game and I am still playing it since launch. But due to it's setting and freeform progression approach it's pretty much a "You either love it or hate it" affair.

Sorry, but the reason TSW did so poor is that it has 8 miniscule sized zones with almost no content...You could finish that game in a week without trying...

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I'm beginning to feel glad I waited on this game if what you say is true.

I preordered on Steam, then got a refund a day before release. Thought it better to let the game mature (and drop in price), then get it!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Saryk
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I'm beginning to feel glad I waited on this game if what you say is true.

I preordered on Steam, then got a refund a day before release. Thought it better to let the game mature (and drop in price), then get it!

already you can buy the game from Amazon for £25 image

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

I got the standard edition + seaon pass for $38 | 30Euro (thanks TRION <3 ) and i think its worth exactly that considering i get 5 free DLC, i can't complain. If i would have to pay full price i would have NEVER bought it. $90 for game + season pass is way too much.

So my advise to everyone is wait for the prices to go down, it wont be long.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    This seems like an experiment so I decided I wasnt going to be a labrat and pay to test this. Figured I would wait and see how it pans out, so Far I am glad I didnt buy it.