Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disney Destroying STAR WARS

Comments

• DalekThayDalekThay Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by bugse82

Meh...

Show me one good game from Lucas Arts from the last few years...

The good times for LucasArts were long over.

All the loveable classics happened in the 80ies/ 90ies

The last decent title in 2008 was "The Force Unleashed"

They ignored people begging for an X-Wing sequel for over a decade

They shut down SWG

They released nothing but Star Wars titles for 10 year olds like Lego Star Wars and Kinect Star Wars.

To be fair, the LEGO Star Wars games (as well as other LEGO games released in the past 5 years) are actually pretty good. Seriously, don't knock them right off the bat, they're worth a try.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Well it might be a good thing nothing really good has come out of lucasarts for years... we might get to see more star wars based games now..

Hopefully the license price wont be too high..

I am really looknig forward to what disney will do with the movies thats for sure.

Yeah this is my take on it as well, should open the IP up to more talented developers (and probably some less talented as well). The more Star Wars, the better!

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

Now the only good news could be giving out another MMO license to Sony for SWG2 .

The market needs a real Star Wars MMO which does not feel like an interactive movie

No it doesn't. Especially from Sony. Though since Koster is recently unemployed...

Yeah, in YOUR OPINION it doesn´t.

I don´t mind people playing their wow clones, but there better be an alternative for people who don´t think the pinnacle of MMO gaming is a Skinner Box like SWTOR. 

What you mean like Tsw? But honestly, there is no opinion, the market itself has made it abundantly clear that far more people want the Luke and Han experience, not the Uncle Owen.

Wrong, TSW would be much more popular if it would be the easy button mashing fixed class skinner box  like SWTOR. I know it´s not that popular, but that is because the mice are used to pull their little levers to get their rewards and the skinner box model is barely present in TSW. Hence, the missing market success with the conditioned OCD gamers playing WowTor.

And thre is no button mashing in TSW? how do you play any MMO without mashing the buttons?

TSW has raiding too. Last time i checked you raid for purples. Right now the cap is at 10.4 and good luck in PVP if you are not well geared. People standing in Agartha spamming LFG and  trying to climb the ladder from normal to hard to nightmare...sounds familiar?

By the way you too play SWTOR (just read some of your other posts). So i will watch out before lashing out at SWTOR players..glass houses and all you know.

I hate repetitive raiding in every game, I simply don´t participate in repetitive stuff which makes me feel like being in a treadmill.

I want different things to do in MMOs, that is all. The OPs and FPs focus in SWTOR sucks, so do the reputation grinds.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Eluldor

Nope, Donald Duck in a Stormtrooper outfit image

Check and Mate

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

Originally posted by bingbongbros

Check and Mate

George doesn´t look very happy

The Return of ELITE !

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555

Wrong, TSW would be much more popular if it would be the easy button mashing fixed class skinner box  like SWTOR. I know it´s not that popular, but that is because the mice are used to pull their little levers to get their rewards and the skinner box model is barely present in TSW. Hence, the missing market success with the conditioned OCD gamers playing WowTor.

I hate repetitive raiding in every game, I simply don´t participate in repetitive stuff which makes me feel like being in a treadmill.

I want different things to do in MMOs, that is all. The OPs and FPs focus in SWTOR sucks, so do the reputation grinds.

You do know that it is not raiding that makes it a skinner box right? Hell, do you even actually know what a skinner box is?!? [mod edit]

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Now the only good news could be giving out another MMO license to Sony for SWG2 .

The market needs a real Star Wars MMO which does not feel like an interactive movie

No it doesn't. Especially from Sony. Though since Koster is recently unemployed...

Yeah, in YOUR OPINION it doesn´t.

I don´t mind people playing their wow clones, but there better be an alternative for people who don´t think the pinnacle of MMO gaming is a Skinner Box like SWTOR. 

What you mean like Tsw? But honestly, there is no opinion, the market itself has made it abundantly clear that far more people want the Luke and Han experience, not the Uncle Owen.

And thre is no button mashing in TSW? how do you play any MMO without mashing the buttons?

TSW has raiding too. Last time i checked you raid for purples. Right now the cap is at 10.4 and good luck in PVP if you are not well geared. People standing in Agartha spamming LFG and  trying to climb the ladder from normal to hard to nightmare...sounds familiar?

By the way you too play SWTOR (just read some of your other posts). So i will watch out before lashing out at SWTOR players..glass houses and all you know.

If that is true i wonder how your survived TSW? it is the most repetitive mission grinder on the market. Atleast in other MMOS you can unwind doing other activities like crafting for example. But in TSW you don't even have that option. All you do is grind missions,  grind raids or jump in PVP. That is it.

Even to max your skill wheel you have to repeat all the old missions over and over again. I see so much double standard in your post bud!

You do know that it is not raiding that makes it a skinner box right? Hell, do you even actually know what a skinner box is?!? Your blind hatred would be mildly amusing if it were not so sad.

Behold, the concept of theme park WoWclones explained. Push lever (grind mobs) receive food (gear), rinse repeat (daily repetition, e.g. raiding the same instance, over, and over, and over, and over again).

More explanation here

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Whatever, I don´t mind people who play repetitive games, I just said the market needs another Star Wars MMO which is not catering to the lowest common denominator of themepark MMO gamers.

I´m thinking of a Planetside 2 meets SWG and TSW, plus SW Story. Shouldn´t be any competiton for SWTOR "because it´s different". No raids, no flashpoints, just open world PVP and warzones, and a huge universe of sandbox planets to explore, player created content, open world housing, ground and air combat, territory control on ground and in space, PvE story missions, connected by a space sim like JTL.

i.e that´s what I expected for a 200 million $ Avatar-like budget

The Return of ELITE !

Behold, the concept of theme park WoWclones explained. Push lever (grind mobs) receive food (gear), rinse repeat (daily repetition, e.g. raiding the same instance, over, and over, and over, and over again).

More explanation here

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Whatever, I don´t mind people who play repetitive games, I just said the market needs another Star Wars MMO which is not catering to the lowest common denominator of themepark MMO gamers.

So you are honestly going to use a cracked article? Seriously?

I´m thinking of a Planetside 2 meets SWG and TSW, plus Story. Shouldn´t be any competiton for SWTOR "because it´s different".

Oh I do not doubt that there is place in the market for Sanboxes, infact there are several, but none of them are particularly well represented outside of Eve, and even Eve is unique. As for it being Star Wars, not even close. If it were then they never would have asked for Galaxies to be closed in the first place.

More explanation here

So you are honestly going to use a cracked article? Seriously?

I´m thinking of a Planetside 2 meets SWG and TSW, plus Story. Shouldn´t be any competiton for SWTOR "because it´s different".

Oh I do not doubt that there is place in the market for Sanboxes, infact there are several, but none of them are particularly well represented outside of Eve, and even Eve is unique. As for it being Star Wars, not even close. If it were then they never would have asked for Galaxies to be closed in the first place.

Galaxies had outdated graphics,  the only reasonable choice would have been to trash it and start from scratch. Or take it offline for 3 years for a total reboot. Who knows, maybe SOE is already working on SWG2.

The Return of ELITE !

Galaxies had outdated graphics,  the only reasonable choice would have been to trash it and start from scratch. Or take it offline for 3 years for a total reboot. Who knows, maybe SOE is already working on SWG2.

What does graphics have to do with anything? You do realize that Ea has a non compete contract right? Even if they didn't do you really think Sony is going to compete with itself for a sandbox game? The $50m gamble is not something you are going to get just anyone to take no matter how much you dream. If all of these minor sandboxes cannot show to be successful at any real level who is going to gamble on spending the cash to upscale it?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

And pigs are getting ready to fly too. Anything is possible.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

As an old, very avid fan of Star Wars, it's been utter garbage for a long time.

In video games, it has been a long time since we had a bonafide winner that we all can agree with.  Lucasarts?  That company became an absolute joke compared to it's glorious days in the 90s.

Movies?  Prequels.  I'll leave it at that.

To be fair though, George Lucas himself was starting to lose his mind even back in the day with the Original Trilogy.  The evidence?  Ewoks (everything related to them) and some comedy action (menacing Boba Fett's pathetic defeat at the Sarlaac Pit) in Return of the Jedi.  Thank goodness there were alot of other great things for ROTJ to save it.  But from ROTJ, we had a freakin' TV show focusing on Ewoks.  Lucas from ROTJ onwards had started taking a kid-centered take on Star Wars.

Star Wars (not ANH, not Ep.I, just "Star Wars") didn't need kiddie stuff.  It just wowed everyone with the entire sci-fi presentation, cool technology, space fights, and of course, the Force and Lightsabers.

Empire Strikes back built on, but now showed exactly why the Empire was the big, menacing danger of the franchise.  After all, heroes are only as good as the evil and dangers they face.  It did, as a movie, took the rare stance of the good guys actually getting their butts handed to them.

With these 2 movies, they weren't kiddified.  They never once needed adorable, bumbling characters to somehow reach for the kids.  As a kid, I didn't need that.  Because X-Wings, TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers, the Rebels, the Empire, the Force, and the Lightsabers were already cool enough on their own.

But afterwards, it was a different story, most especially post-ROTJ.

Anyways, I'll leave it like this... Compared to how Star Wars has been going, movies and most especially in video games, it's been so terrible that Disney cannot do any worse.  Star Wars has been screwed for so long that there's nowhere to go BUT up with different people at the helm.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Some other studio will make the SW games in the future, I see no problem with that.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Ogrelin

Some other studio will make the SW games in the future, I see no problem with that.

Exactly.  And maybe they can do better with the fabled Star Wars name than the fools that have been running that circus for the last 14 years.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

George Lucas did that himself.

Disney was just stupid enough to buy it's leftovers

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Grunty

i see it as Disney now has a chance to clean up the mess left by Lucas and Lucasarts... Star Wars Kinect was atrocious...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

Clam down son, why would Disney keep their own studios and Lucasarts open??? what kind of smart business move is that?  Disney will continue to make Star Wars movies, cartoons, and games under their studio's its been stated already.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Fritzpower
    Disney Destroying STAR WARS

OP...

Disney hasn't even done anything yet.

Lucasarts is just a brand name. If George Lucas is no longer the boss, why call it "Lucas"arts anymore?

I'm sure if someone else bought out Disney they won't keep the name Disney either,since that's was the owners surname.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

Check and Mate

George doesn´t look very happy

I would watch a Mickey Mouse version of Star Wars. Just like the old Mickey Mouse Jack and the Beanstalk film.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Grunty

i see it as Disney now has a chance to clean up the mess left by Lucas and Lucasarts... Star Wars Kinect was atrocious...

Then they are going to need a Death Star sized sewage treatment plant.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Fritzpower
    That looks funny, but the truth is its sad that Star Wars is going in that direction. My favourite movies, stories, games of my childhood are all star wars and this pitiful company makes a toy for 6 years old children of it

I find it humorous that you, in the same sentence, laud the stories of your childhood, but refuse to accept that another generation of children might want the same.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Kingdom Hearts Star Wars crossover would be pretty sweet imho:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A <--- Kinect Star Wars "I'm Han Solo". 

Personally I don't feel Disney is destroying Star Wars. For me that already happened prior to them aquiring it lol.