Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Not Play

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Nitth

Took the 3 month deal, Now back in eve.

Check out those T1 cruisers

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

So I've missed most of this thread and it appears to be long past its prime..

But, did OP really just say 'the numbers speak for themselves' about the only MMO on the market to have only steadily increased in subs since its release?  LOL

Basically saying that because the game didn't have WoW numbers, it was a failure?  Ignoring the fact that, as stated, the game is the ONLY MMO on the market to have steadily risen in subscriptions annually since its release.

I would also point out the hilarity of the OP in general, as if he is somehow INFORMING us of the features of the game which have helped make it successful as if nobody knows about EVE's time-based nature or as if his argument is something new and he is enlightening us to the evil that he thinks is EVE.

Sorry OP, you're not stating anything new, and you're certainly not convincing anyone who didn't already have that bias in the first place.

FYI:  A friend of mine joined a null-sec corp with only 4-5 months of SP on his character, and in his time in that corp achieved the status of the top killer on their corp killboards once he began taking part in nullsec fights.  Basically becoming a very threatening and dangerous person in their fleets with 6 months or less training at that time, which was honestly quite scattered in focus until he realized what the game was about and how to train toward a goal.  I hear people argue against the specialization pro-tip all the time, relegating 'skill focus' to nothing more than being a tackler.  That couldn't be further from the truth.  It's like those people just didn't know what to specialize into, or HOW to properly specialize.  You can fly any damn thing you want if you've got the skills, and if you're in a good corp, they should damn well teach you how to fly it properly and be effective in it.  Tackler is a 'busy-role'.  You can specialize in no time and be an effective killer in only a few months.  No different than any other MMO in that regard.  You're not going to compete in any other game's PvP for months either, and in those cases you will 99% of the time, NOT be able to beat anyone who has played longer than you.  This is patently false in EVE, and the people who claim otherwise were apparently very, very bad at it and thus think it must be impossible or think it takes far longer than it really does.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Just to rub salt in the wounds from my first main point in that post.... EVE just passed 500k subscribers.  http://www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/article/74405/eve-online-surpasses-500-000-subscribers-worldwide

For those who don't pay attention - that is the first time the game has reached that figure, after 10 years of being on the market.  If you don't think that's impressive in this market, you're kidding yourself.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

10 minutes ago another trial player quit. He was fairly active over the last two weeks and seemed like a level headed, interesting player. He is leaving for the same reason that most of of us  noobs leave - no interest in being ganked anywhere in the eve world. The community responded with the usual sympathy, i.e. "good ridance", "good - another care bear gone", "don't let the door hit you on the way out". All I felt was immense sympathy for him/her and terrible sadness at what Eve could be. 

Every day I see a number of new players quit. More and more I feel that Eve could easily have double the number of subs had CCP made a pve server. Let the hard-core keep their pvp server. Let the noobs have a server of their own.  Well, as CCP and the long term players have said - not going to happen. 

In 10 days I too will leave, reluctantly, but finally. Eve is a fantastic game - just not for us care bears. 

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by ssunatzu
    :-) I joined MMO about 2 years ago but never made a comment until now. I only posted because I want to make a statement against the policies of EVE Online.  Most people will be satisfied with spending an enormous amount of time to actively play a game. I do not think so.  I will from this time forward make it known that I am dissatisfied with the game mechanics of EVE Online.  CCP can intervene whenever they want to discuss this with me but I doubt they will.  So in my small way, I will try to make a difference to the gaming community.  Thank you for posting.

Your raging about EVE because you want to hit end level within a week.  I agree that if you are thinking about starting the game now then it's a bad idea because I have quit playing for 4 years now and there's no way I could go back. Because of the skill system, where it is based on real-time, it is pointless now because you could never catch up when it is based on real-time. I wouldn't go as far as to say that the game is crap and the policies are dumb. You sound like a WoW player where you expect everything to be handed to you on a silver plate. Thanks for the post though. Nice to see the lower class of the gaming community have a say in things.

• S4ndurS4ndur Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by tordurbar

10 minutes ago another trial player quit. He was fairly active over the last two weeks and seemed like a level headed, interesting player. He is leaving for the same reason that most of of us  noobs leave - no interest in being ganked anywhere in the eve world. The community responded with the usual sympathy, i.e. "good ridance", "good - another care bear gone", "don't let the door hit you on the way out". All I felt was immense sympathy for him/her and terrible sadness at what Eve could be. 

Every day I see a number of new players quit. More and more I feel that Eve could easily have double the number of subs had CCP made a pve server. Let the hard-core keep their pvp server. Let the noobs have a server of their own.  Well, as CCP and the long term players have said - not going to happen. 

In 10 days I too will leave, reluctantly, but finally. Eve is a fantastic game - just not for us care bears. 

The whole point of EVE is to be cold & harsh. No other game is like that (at least scifi game). We, the players are the content and if you didnt figure that out its defo not the game for you.

Oh and good riddance! >:)

Catch you on the planetside!

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

I think it's completely fair that the people who have played Eve Online for 8-9 years have an advantage over anyone who's only played even a couple of years.

I used to play when there was 24K other players and that seemed like a lot then, so I can't imagine what 500K feels like now.  I think it would be a HUGE disservice to their loyal fanbase to make any aspect of the game easier for newer players to be able to compete with players that have worked very hard over the years to build their empire/skills/ships/corps up to a righteous level.

No bitchers.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

Every day I see a number of new players quit. More and more I feel that Eve could easily have double the number of subs had CCP made a pve server. Let the hard-core keep their pvp server. Let the noobs have a server of their own.  Well, as CCP and the long term players have said - not going to happen. 

As much as I hate being ganked in any game that I play I have to say that a PVE server would destory everything that maks EVE what it is. Aside from it all being on one server, EVE is a game about choices and consequences. Removing choices from players would not fit well with that. I do agree that a lot of the EVE community can be complete retards, but EVE isn't the place to go for sympathy and I find it shocking people still don't know this. I've known for years before I played that EVE was filled with Goons and the like, so I went into it with a healthy paranoia that has served me well.

Anyway, back on course... I'd rather EVE continue a small growth as opposed to a huge boon of PVE players if it means they'd have to go against everything EVE stands for to get that boost in population. Plus, I think it's pretty easy to see that players who play PVE-only type games never really have high retention rates anyway.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Well some company should jump on that PVE version of Eve then....Like alot in this thread have said, the very nature of the server turns away alot of people who might otherwise sub to a game like Eve......I know its ahrd to believe but there are actually people out there that just want to have a relaxing experience without some immature moron around every corner trying to take everything they have worked for.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I quit Eve a few years ago and never really looked back at least in part due to the medium to low sec (not null mind you) ass's who went out of their way to hunt down people trying to PVE because they where not good enough for PVP against people who acually wanted it.  Having said that it would be a horrible idea to make Eve any more PVE than it already is.  PVP is the engine that drives EVE and without it nothing would work.  The economy would come to a halt in short order and any PVE server would just die.

EVE is a PVP game and no one should expect it to be anything else.  I wish some PVE game makers would take a page from EVE and not try to shoehorn PVP into everything they make and instead stand up and say.  "PVP doesn't work for this game and we are not going ot dimish PVE by trying to make it fit" but not one has yet.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

I've played EVE for over six years now and have been ganked only 1 time. Compare that to other MMORPGs that I've played, where I've been ganked much more often, and EVE seems incredibly safe.

I'm not sure why new players get so fearful about being ganked when it's is laughably easy to avoid.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Boardwalker 

I've played EVE for over six years now and have been ganked only 1 time. Compare that to other MMORPGs that I've played, where I've been ganked much more often, and EVE seems incredibly safe.

I'm not sure why new players get so fearful about being ganked when it's is laughably easy to avoid.

Like you, I have played Eve for many years and have not been ganked much but then again, I am doing things differently from what a new player does.  New players mine new the starter systems where gankers are, I do.  New players want to get in a corp and will believe that they have to pay a million isk to get in.  New players will try trading and haul 100 million in isk worth of stuff across the goonie gatecamp near Jita.  New players actually think the contracts are legit.  New players actually believe they will get double their money back from spam in local.  New players dont tank their mining barge/exhumers and get blown up from bored players participating in hulkageddon.  New players will mine ice while partially afk.  New players get bullied in popular systems by bumpers.  New players use jet-cans and get popped.  The list goes on and on.

I like Eve and someday when I retire I hope to get back into it but in all honestly it has more asshattery then any game I have ever played.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Is the wolf an asshat because he hunts a sheep?

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

to the OP, i completely understand someone's frustration with starting eve, but not being able to do anything is different than not being able to do the thing you want to do in null-sec.  in other words, while i would agree it takes about a year to make a new toon viable in 0.0, there are other things you can do that dont take too long at all; so you have things to do while you're training for your long term goal.

EX: you can go to Wormholes with a wormhole oriented corp as soon as you can fit a good BC; should take about 5 months.  or you can work on your pvp skills in FW as soon as you can fly a rifter (and can afford to lose a few) maybe even build up FW LP so you can grab a reward point BS down the line and flip it for cash once you reach your 0.0 goal :)

edit, i should point out i'm an eve player since jan 2007

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    The existence of these threads goes to prove one thing: people are woefuly misinformed and some are even a little bit too entitled.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

Why not just play the game to have fun there is plenty of stuff to do in this game not just play catch up with the big boys. and if you focus on a certain style which you want to play then it would take you a lot less time to get there.

This game is not meant to be login rush to so called endgame this is a game where you login and develop your character overtime while learning how to play the game.

But i guess this just is not the game you are looing for.

• scars87scars87 Member Posts: 234
    FW is great for smaller ships, making it a shorter time to be able to start killing war targets. Not only that, if your able to solo plex confortably, you can make a good amount of isk with just a simple frig. I don't know how long it takes to fly a decent destroyer or frig, but it certainly doesnt take 2 years.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Does the OP expect to be able t take on vets 1v1 after only a few weeoks of playing?

it does not take that long to get good enough to join in with group pvp, sure your not gonna do huge amount of damage or take much but you can certainly help..

Now i played for a good few months and enjoyed the PVP, but the PVE side of the game was a bit boring.. but when i did play i did not find myself crying because people who had played for years had a better character and ship than me.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

HUMM, So the disturbance in the Force Grows !

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • osiriszoranosiriszoran Member Posts: 86

ehhh i tried Eve for about a week. Just didn't appeal to me. It didnt feel sandboxy considering you were just moving from zone to zone via the warp gates. Also, the game isnt very noob friendly at all and is very hard to break into. Also i didnt like point and click space combat/manuvering. The UI is very overwhelming also.

If there was a freelancer MMORPG i would be all over that....but Eve just wasnt my cup o tea.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    only thing i would love to see removed from a pve point of view is gate camping, its the single think that annoys me, just seems so cheap and annoying -neither pvp or pve.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MethemMethem Member Posts: 7
    Are they still making dramatic rebalancing to the game annually?  I rage quit a few years ago after spending a massive amount of time learning skills for nano ships and they nerfed it into oblivian along with my very expensive snake implants...  My fallback was group tactics with ecm which also got nerfed..  Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take forever to learn those skills
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I think pretty much everyone knows how EvE works on these forums. I kinda agree that the whole real time training is just silly and it will take you ages to get anywhere. And that's without even playing the game, hehe.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by Methem
    Are they still making dramatic rebalancing to the game annually?  I rage quit a few years ago after spending a massive amount of time learning skills for nano ships and they nerfed it into oblivian along with my very expensive snake implants...  My fallback was group tactics with ecm which also got nerfed..  Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take forever to learn those skills

Ironically, you quit just before the minmatar ships you trained for became FoTM for about 2.5 years.

• MethemMethem Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by Methem

Ironically, you quit just before the minmatar ships you trained for became FoTM for about 2.5 years.

Who said anything about Minmatar ships?  I guess that means the only viable nano ship for 2.5 years was a vagabond..