Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help upgrading my RAM

treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269

Hi guys. This is my rig:

Motherboard ASUS P7P55D PRO

Intel Core i5 750 2,67Ghz

Nvidia GTX 660 2Gb Vram

4Gb RAM (2 x Mushkin DDR3 -1333  SDRAM  (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz)  (8-8-8-22 @ 592 MHz)  (6-6-6-16 @ 444 MHz) )

I would like to upgrade my rig to 8gb RAM, and I don't know if just pick other 4gb of the same type, or take the whole 8gb. I don't want to get the more expensive ones, normal-cheap price. Any advice please? thanks

Comments

• driver4hiredriver4hire Member UncommonPosts: 78

too lazy to check right now for compatibility and such with the mobo but,

If you have two free slots available just buy identical sticks of ram.  

So then you will just have two new 2gb sticks along with your existing stuff.  Keeps it simple.

If you do not have two free slots I would say just go out and grab 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

I personally use 16gb of a bit better stuff and have no issues.  Just check and see if you mobo can run it at 1600.  If it can't it will just lower that speed but the performance decrease will be neglible.

Oh, yeah... and if you want to do crazy overclocking or some kind of technical crap that requires crazy overclocking.  Wait for someone elses opinion who knows it for sure.  I don't typically overclock my rig because I do not have too so I am a bad person to ask.

Hope I helped!

Happy Easter!

Currently playing : World of Tanks, LoL
    Waiting for: The game of my dreams
    Played: Everything
    Favorites being Eve, UO and SWG Pre-CU

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146748

The motherboard does have four memory slots, so you can just add two more modules and be done.  The memory controller in the CPU doesn't support anything about 1333 MHz, anyway.

• treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Ok, i bought two of this RAM: 

kingston ddr3 2gb pc1333mhz cl9

I already had other 4 gb, as I said before, 2 x Mushkin DDR3 -1333  SDRAM

I would like to get some advice on this: after installing the new ram, my pc seems right, but I looked at Everest program and although all my 8gb RAM are now recognized by the program, I see some differences between the two type.

One type (Mushkin) says (9-9-9-24 @666Mhz)(8-8-8-22 @592 Mhz) (6-6-6-16 @444Mhz)

while the other one (Kingston) says (8-8-8-22 @609 Mhz) (7-7-7-20 @533 Mhz) (6-6-6-17 457 Mhz).

Are those differences normal? I have no clue on hardware and ram things, but maybe because they are of different companies or whatever I might have purchased the wrong ram?

Forgive my ignorance, but any advice?

Could you give a link to the memory that you bought, since you asked what to buy, got advice, ignored it, and bought something else?

Also, exactly what specs are you running the memory at?  More to the point:  what clock speed, what voltage, and what are the four main latency timings?

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Could you give a link to the memory that you bought, since you asked what to buy, got advice, ignored it, and bought something else?

Also, exactly what specs are you running the memory at?  More to the point:  what clock speed, what voltage, and what are the four main latency timings?

That made me laugh. I guess I am easily amused today.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Mmm i didn't ignore it. I asked, got help, thanked it (in advance) but I live in Spain so I could not buy from where you linked, so what I did was find a similar ram and that is what I bought. Here is the link. But again, I did not ignore it, I think you talked a bit too quickly :) And again, thanks for the advice which helped me buy what I have bought today. Voltaje and clock speed is what I looked to when I chose it. About latency timings, I don't know.

http://www.appinformatica.com/memorias-ram-kingston-ddr3-2gb-pc1333mhz-cl9-1-cara.php

Then it would have been better to say that you lived in Spain and linked a site that you could buy from, rather than trying to guess on what constitutes something similar.

That doesn't give the full specs on the memory.  It does say the rated clock speed and CAS latency, but not the stock voltage.  Kingston rates some of their memory as 1.65 V, which means that they don't promise that it will work at the rated specs at the DDR3 stock voltage of 1.5 V.

Have you overclocked your processor at all?

Also, I'd try running the memory at 1066 MHz, just to see if it works properly.  I'm not saying to leave it there forever; just to try it and see if it works.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

If the only issue is that Everest reports they are different specifications, then there is no problem.

It's normal for different brands to have different timings. Your motherboard ~should~ automatically sync everything to the lowest common speed.

If you really want to know if everything is working well, download and run memtest86 - it needs to boot off either a CD or a USB drive, but it will test all your RAM - takes about an hour to run a full test. If that passes, all is good.

Ok, i will run that test tomorrow. The ram info package says it runs at 1.5V. My PC has been 7 straight hours playing Skyrim with 0 problems, so maybe everything is fine. Windows recognizes the 8gb ram too. I don't know why the Mhz information and the diferent timings information between both ram pairs are different in everest, or maybe if that is a common thing if you buy different company ram.