Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of this one

Read the title. Post your helpful replies.

For most people, character development and personal story ends upon clicking "Log in" if not "Start Game"

Comments

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I haven't played this so I can't really say.... But I can speak from experience having been playing the MMO market for years and years.

If a game launches and is bad from day one.  Not talking about lag, delays, queue, or other problems related to too many users or minor bugs that can be fixed.  I'm talking about the core game is just bad.  People don't like the gameplay, they don't like the characters, the classes, the questing, the graphics... You can't fix all of that. 

From what i've seen/read about this game it was a failure from day one.  Bad gameplay and just about everything else.  I don't think it had one single quality to keep it alive.

I would LOVE... LOOOOVE a non elf and sword fantasy MMO to be released.  SWTOR was damn close but it followed in wows footsteps too much.  I don't want to grind for gear tokens to buy gear to grind for more gear tokens.

• AdunAdun Member UncommonPosts: 70

Here is a post I made about the game a few months ago. It is not updated, but will give you an idea about what Earthrise is about. Currently most of the vet playerbase is waiting on the F2P version to be complete before playing again.

Originally posted by Adun

Having been around since beta, and now with the flood gates opening up and a free trial out, I decided I would write out a list of some of ER's positives and negatives, such as they are, so that prospective players will have a better idea of what to expect, and also hopefuly gain some kind of perspective as to why the things are the way they are in Earthrise, for both good and bad.

*** Please read both Pros and Cons before making your conclusion or commenting, as I try to explore both sides of the coin with my statements.

FIRST, WHAT EARTHRISE IS ABOUT:

Earthrise is a sci-fi, post-apocalyptic setting, sandbox MMORPG which revolves around player-freedom, open world PVP (a rarity these days), end-game sieging and politics, as well as an expansive, deep crafting system and subsequent economy, all supported by huge, unrestricted customization within the skill systems so you can play as you like. The main driving force behind ER is PVP, and this will always be the emphasis. Killmails ala Eve, bounty-hunting, monster mines as PVE/PVP hybrid hotspots, further advanced Territory War and politicking, and so on are things that are slated for and will fit into the type of game this is. PVE in ER is bland and will likely always be so, as it exists solely as a means to attain resources and XP (and is specifically designed for players to fight over spots in classic open-world fashion, for if you get ganked you drop your resources/etc that you got while farming, but you always keep your quest items and the progession you got from the camp) all for the ultimate goal of waging war and fighting for supremacy of the island, be it for a faction within the game, or a faction of players, or both. The game is about forging your own path as the story of Enterra evolves, eventually you becoming a part of it, whether as a criminal, an explorer, a cold-blooded PK, a rebel, a conti who strives for the belief of civilization and order, or just a neutral spectator with his own goals. This is the backdrop of ER.

PROS

- Enormous, custom built, post-apocalyptic sandbox world and environment where you can jump over and off cliffs (and die from the fall), scale rims and peaks, and lay ambushes. Rich background story, built on a faction system of Conglomerate vs. Rebels vs. Neutrals vs. Criminals Vs. "Grey Line" Facs. Compete or work together, all while struggling for supremacy.

- Massive skill-based advancement system featuring myriad weapons, devices, abilities, tactics, all with no restrictions. Diversity is achieved through loadout; which means you can unlock the entire skill system over time, but you can only ever use certain combinations of it's elements at one particular time, intrinsically creating diversity through builds that you can alternate as your purpose alternates. Create your own "class" without the restrictions of a "class system". Builds for: Solo PVP? Siege? Healer? Rogue? Tank? Sniper? Etc. This also means that you do not need to grind everything to compete, but instead you just need to carve out your niche, and you won't fall behind "the vets".

- No tab-targeting combat system, aim all your attacks from the different types available; ranging from Aimed Attacks which must connect with a target's hitbox via leading, to Arc Attacks which operate on a 45 to 90 degree angle depending on the ability, meaning positioning will be key especially when manipulating effective ranges (each gun has several different ranges at which it operates optimally), to Splash Attacks which are AOEs with a fallout damage range, meaning you have to place them carefully in order of opponents you wish to damage the most in the seconds you have to get the attack off.

- End game revolves around Territorial Warfare, sieging, building up, breaking down, hoodwinking, managing, and maintaining the myriad bases in the frontier zones of the game. There's more than enough for many, many guilds and factions to compete over them. You can use politics or just brute force to attain your goals, this is up to you. Bases eventually yield the best resources in the game, which can be used to further your goals of conquest, or of just being the best PK's on the block.

- Extremely deep, expansive crafting system that allows everything in the game to be created by players. From TW structures, to weapons, armor, devices, vehicles, and so on. Guilds must work together to make the most powerful gear and weapons in the game, and in true sandbox nature, all the best items in the game are made only by the players, rather than dropped anywhere from the world.

- On a technical level, performance has improved vastly due to the last major patch/expansion. Many people with a decent system can now run the game far better, in some cases incomparably so.

CONS

- While the world is amazingly well-crafted and detailed, it still yet remains to be "broken into". There are many places that could be utilized far more interestingly and in the sandbox nature than they are currently, and some of it tends to come off as bland. Also, some parts of the geography, while finished physically speaking, have content that remains to be "activated" properly, like criminal hideouts, etc. Also, the faction system is not fully fleshed out as it was meant to be, and thus is less important then actual guild factions, which some would argue to be fine, but still the back story remains to be acted upon further, and given a more significant role in the world than it is presently.

- No cons on the skill system. It's pretty amazingly designed and allows for a new player to become competitive very fast. If you had proper know-how and the guidance of a guild, you could be wearing T10 armor and Weapons just like a Vet within 2 weeks. (Although keep in mind there are many forms of advancement).

- The combat system still needs to be fleshed out even further. Crouching and headshots are two things that are both "in the game but not in the game" in the sense that crouch exists in the controls but is not "activateable" at the moment, just like the head hitbox exists already on an avatar, but deals no extra damage when hit. Also, movement within combat mode can tend to be clunky when facing certain terrains, so you need to learn how to keep your footing. These are things I hope will be ironed out and expanded upon in the coming future.

- Territorial Warfare has just launched and so far our exposure to it has been fun. But there are issues with bugged timers right now preventing us from really getting into it as we should (slated to be patched this week) as well as some people having a general issue with timers being automatically dictated by the server within different time zones, rather than dictated by the players to their strongest time zone. However, there is still a discussion between the devs and community about what in fact is right here because if players were able to dictate when their bases went vulnerable, this could cause problems down the road and an unhealthy playing field, it is conjectured. For now, however, there are so many different bases which go vulnerable at all time zones, you just pick and choose what and where to assault.

- The crafting system is basically endless, which can be either a pro or a con for different people. It definitely is in the sandbox spirit where the players create all the items in the game, with only a few low quality weapons/armor/devices which drop early on to give new players some leeway, but it may be too much for some people in the sense that it certainly takes a decent amount of time to reach the top tiers. However, the good news is that, unlike the combat system, you can skip any tiers you like, meaning new crafters joining the game who have a guild that is already at the end game, can get right in and start contributing towards tier 10 gear rather than go through the lowbie stuff. Advancing in crafting in the game revolves around either playing the market well so you're always in stock, or finding good mob spots out in the open world which yield what you need, all while evading PKs. Crafting high end gear exponentially yields the highest CP gains, but the most efficient way to gain mass CP is to grind on lower level equipment which can be assembled and dissembled at will. Some may perceive this as a grind, while others will love the endless diversity and possibility with this system, so it can go either way. But again, the best items in the game, equivalent to your epics in themepark games, will only be in existence in ER created by its players, mainly through conquest and the acquisition of the best resources of the game, furthering your ends as you will.

- Performance, while much, much better, still needs work in several regards. Specifically, loading times aren't very stellar, especially when loading into zones via teleports, it may snag up on you often. Also, while certainly better, specific cities (albeit ones that aren't frequented very often) such as The Nest still could use some FPS optimization. Texture loading, especially from effects, need to be further optimized. They used to freeze you up pre-patch for up to 5-6 seconds even, it was absolutely horrid, but now they either seem to fly off seamlessly, or on occasion with a 1 or 2 second hitch. Thankfully, I haven't run into few-second freezes like before post patch yet, god willingly. And in general, performance could use a boost in most areas to make it more up to par with other contemporary titles, but really it is incomparable to how it was at launch, and is still quite playable if you know how to tweak your settings properly. Namely turning off shadows, environment particles, and HDR unless you have a truly beast machine.

BOTTOM LINE:

Earthrise has come a very long way since launch, with the major revamping of the crafting process, autostacking, major constant rehauls and rebalancing of the combat system and weapons and devices and armors, removal of exploits, redesigning the terrain and rebalancing monsters, adding an entire library of quest information that now shows you where they originate and where you must look, to smoothing out performance greatly and implementing the key feature of the game; territorial warfare. But with that said, the game has even a greater ways to go, with vehicles on the horizon, dyes, further balancing, tweaks for TW, further optimization, and so on.

The point being though,  that now it is FINALLY in a stable state and able to be enjoyed for what it is, especially for those who love the sci-fi sandbox, open-world PVP MMO niche, such a title lacking since probably Pre-CU SWG, and to a lesser extent, Tabula Rasa. The game still has hitches you will need to contend with, namely bland PVE that you must be willing to overlook for the sake of the end game PVP & Politics, (for some this is harder than others) as well as getting used to the UI, and incomplete performance in various areas. But honestly I believe if more people gave it a chance and had less of a gross reaction to their first experience within the game and stuck around to see what it's about, they might find that it's really a great open-world PVP game at the core that just needs more time put into it but still has a lot to offer at even this point in time.

Ok, well, that's it for me now, if you have any questions at all about the game, please feel free to ask them in this thread, and myself or others who have been around I'm sure will be glad to answer. Those who are sticking around or have come back for good have a pretty optimistic disposition of the game, even though they acknowledge what needs to be done. We can only hope that it happens in a timely fashion, and in the mean time we'll wage war against one another, as we were meant to do. Cheers.

PLAYER RESOURCES

Consult here for all kill quests (not story) across all zones and their locations and rewards: Link

Consult here for general information: Link

Check this beta video for basics on UI/movement/combat: Link

Check this video for performance pre-patch vs post-patch: Link

Check this video for general info about the game: Link

Consult here for all Conti teleports: Link

Consult here for General Map: Link

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by Painlezz

I haven't played this so I can't really say.... But I can speak from experience having been playing the MMO market for years and years.

If a game launches and is bad from day one.  Not talking about lag, delays, queue, or other problems related to too many users or minor bugs that can be fixed.  I'm talking about the core game is just bad.  People don't like the gameplay, they don't like the characters, the classes, the questing, the graphics... You can't fix all of that. 

From what i've seen/read about this game it was a failure from day one.  Bad gameplay and just about everything else.  I don't think it had one single quality to keep it alive.

I would LOVE... LOOOOVE a non elf and sword fantasy MMO to be released.  SWTOR was damn close but it followed in wows footsteps too much.  I don't want to grind for gear tokens to buy gear to grind for more gear tokens.

Not sure what this post has to do in any way with the OPs question or thread...

State of the game goes as follows:

They have decided to make it F2P, they took the game down for a week in december that lasted several weeks, the game is now up but currently still for P2P players (not sure if they are getting charged though.

The game is currently in an imbetween status between the still terribly preforming game it always was and the new f2p version that they want to release...in a better state of course.

So the real question is:  Will they make the game a playable game for the "crowds" that will come for a free game, or will they do a few minor fixes and turn off more players with horrible lag/fps/latency and client issues?

You can check out the masthead forums for the game however they are very inactive aside froma  few players, and no one is allowed to post without an active membership so forget about asking people who play...since i dont think anyone on this site still plays.

Still has potential (i played the trial early december) but man...the game itself fights you every step of the way on enjoying the scifi sandbox nature of it.  During my trial, i wasnt allowed to communicate, never once saw a single word typed by another player, and only saw 2 activly playing higher level characters, i attacked them of course to see what happens, it was extremely laggy on both encounters (given we were the only two players on the map) and i was unable to converse with them. 

They may have changed servers during their downtime, havent tried to log in or make a trial (heard they were disabled for now) to see if that made a latency improvement.

Other than that...go read a launch review of the game, was in the same state when i played a month ago.

• erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395
    don;t touch it, it hasnt improved a single bit at all, same company behind it.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by erinys

the main problem was the performance you dont know if that fixed until they get people on the server its not the same company

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by erinys

You have got to test it already?

Dont get me wrong im not giving them another penny i jsut wanted to check.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file