Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is not The Elder Scrolls. It's a generic fantasy MMO

noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

The Elder Scrolls is an IP with one hugely open landscape, a non-class skill system, multiple factional advancement and a persistent world.

The Elder Scrolls Online has many  small, phased and instanced zones, a strict class system, single faction advancement and an unchaging world.

I don't understand. Aside from some of the names in the Elder Scrolls turning up in the TESO, how are these two games related at all?

Comments

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Perhaps you should look at one of the 10 other 20+ page threads on this very topic.
  • MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333
    Originally posted by noncley

The Elder Scrolls is an IP with one hugely open landscape, a non-class skill system, multiple factional advancement and a persistent world.

The Elder Scrolls Online has many  small, phased and instanced zones, a strict class system, single faction advancement and an unchaging world.

I don't understand. Aside from some of the names in the Elder Scrolls turning up in the TESO, how are these two games related at all?

Small phased instanced zones - Only those in beta would know and even then they may not depending on the scope of the beta, they could be large, there could be only a few etc.  Nobody knows.

Strict class system - Again nobody knows the class abilities and it appears skill sets seem to play a large part in classes from what has been released.  But once again those in beta...nobody knows.... etc.

Unchanging world - How is this a failing of the TES IP?  None of the prior games in the IP have really had you effect any real change.  In fact with phasing this will see more potential changes than the singleplayer games.

Isn't it a bit early to be writing it off just yet, especially given the lack of information?  I have no doubt it probably will bear many similar traits to games of the past but to say it's a generic fantasy game without any experience seems a tad premature.

If it turns out to be a bad game then fine bash it.  But to bash it before finding out if it is a bad game...

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Then don't play it OP. If it's not to your liking, then that's that and be done with it. There will be plenty of people who will play and enjoy it. Just not you...

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Psychow

Then don't play it OP. If it's not to your liking, then that's that and be done with it. There will be plenty of people who will play and enjoy it. Just not you...

Two things:

- If I am correct, then it is dishonest for the makers to present this generic mess as a 'TES' IP in order to sell more boxes.

- You say 'there will be plenty of people who will play and enjoy it'. No, there won't be. What you have just said is exactly what the developers at Bioware said about 'Star Wars: The Old Republic'. That generic, boring game crashed immediately and within weeks of launch - weeks! - the servers were empty. Not only did it break the studio and waste hundrds of millons of development investment but it soured the pitch for the real Star Wars MMO that people actually do want. Now if TESO is a dog's breakfast then we won't get the good, open, classless, non-linear, complex Elder Scrolls MMO people actually *would* pay and play for for another five to ten years.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    If DAOC, GW2 and WoW had a drunken 3-way, the bastard offspring would be ESO

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

I had a very long winded response to this.. but i trashed it.

Here it is.. the shorter version

1. TESO, in a sence does have a classless system.. how it works we wont know untill open beta, but from the information out and the few leaked videos that cropped up its safe to say that there is no set 'class' system in the game. You can play whatever you want just like any TES game out there (Even thoe your arguemnt is invalid, because every spec in TES games can be linked to class).. Also Open landscape? hmm.. There are zones, but weather or not they are huge we dont know untill OB. To top that off, every TES game since morrowind has been from ONE ZONE, kinda takes away from the huge open landscape considering each zone might be as big as Skyrim, or morrowind, or w/e. And multi faction advancement, well considering the conflict the lore is based around it makes sense. However you can explore all zones in 50+ and 50++. The whole world is there for you to advance. Finaly, persistant world?.. read some of the information that is out on that...

2. The phaseing is so that you dont have a million people standing on eachother.. it makes sence. That would be a disaster. Can you immagine 1/4 of the people who bought skyrim standing in whiterun? you computer would blow up trying to render all of that..Again ONE SERVER. Strict class system? /facepalm and please read section 1 again. The rest is fair, but again, we wont know how that works until OB or launch. In fact, the would MIGHT change.. you never know.

3. Uhm.. lore? World? art? combat? Key points? Towns? Areas (All of tamriel)? Races? 1 main story for each faction and many MANY side quests in between and after? I can go on forever with that.. so i degress, WHAT IN THE FRACK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? If anything TESO is giving us all 3 of the majorly played TES games and giving us 3 more games on top of it considering they are opening up all of Tamriel.

Fin...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Still you are going on just a whim right?Also if developers can get away with anything just becuase there is always a few fish in the sea,that doesn't make it OK.

People are giving these guys money,they are NOT giving us money,they SHOUDL be scrutinized and EXPECTED to deliover a solid effort,esepcially if they want us to put food on their tables.

Now i realize what YUOU said and I said is not really on the same topic as the OP is wondering about the difference between the two,but it is still an important aspect of gamer versus developer.

IMO a BETTER response would be to say,WHY and who cares if it is the same?Does it really have ot be identical?

I can use an example,FFXI was a basic copy of FFV,but no way could you say they are identical.It is easy to have tons of references that stil point to the title and not leave you thinking ..HUH.

Once you enter into the MMO creating process,you need to forget everything that was single player gaming.The problem is developers for the most part,don't seem to have that ability.This genre has been stale and bad,not because devs don't have the talent,but because all they want to do is create a fast 2 year single player game and add in the internet code.Just by calling it a MMO,it pretty much guarantees a larger  buyers market,than just calling it a single player game.

My point is,we should all as customers be begging for a GREAT or special product and not worrying if it copies some other game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SentnlSentnl Member Posts: 73

Wow, another jaded ES fanboy.

ES is full of instanced areas, in fact most of the games core is in smaller instanced zones. Only the main "open world" is "open", loading screens everywhere! Go look at any ESO screenshot, tell me they're not open landscapes, I dare you.

ES had a terrible skill system, melee/archers pretty much had no skills just hack and slash all the way.... Yawn.

and as for multiple faction advancement... I dont even know what you're talking about, all the factions were the same, some had boring repeatable quests than didnt lead anywhere.

Wake up.

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Still you are going on just a whim right?Also if developers can get away with anything just becuase there is always a few fish in the sea,that doesn't make it OK.

My point is,we should all as customers be begging for a GREAT or special product and not worrying if it copies some other game.

It been in dev for 5 years now

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Good thing it features all those things I bolded in red.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Is this the new thing now, "Don't like it turn the other way"?

I couldn't even fit how many examples of where that argument falls down.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Good thing it features all those things I bolded in red.

It has one single huge open landscape?  If it does, I'm now excited about this game!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by GwapoJosh

It has one single huge open landscape?  If it does, I'm now excited about this game!

The thing is, I dont think it was ever said anywhere that it didn't...

Too many ES fans spreading disinfo.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Nitth

Is this the new thing now, "Don't like it turn the other way"?

I couldn't even fit how many examples of where that argument falls down.

If jumping up and down and stomping your feet in anger makes you feel better and you belive it will somehow magically change the direction the game is headed while in it's final stages of development, then have at it.

I was just trying to be realistic. "Hey this game isn't what I want. I guess I won't buy it." End of story. End of drama.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    If DAOC, GW2 and WoW had a drunken 3-way, the bastard offspring would be ESO

Yett those 3 game are very nice indeed, i asume ESO will be the same.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    every tes game i have played has had hundreds if not thousands of loading screens.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    After how SWTOR turned out its hard to have faith in this one too because swtor was also a big IP even bigger than ES.  But its always nice to know even if this fails too there are still other mmos i can look forward to like final fantasy reborn, wildstar and archeage and most of all blizzards Titan project.
  • jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187
    It's too bad gamers forget a lot of series break the mold and try new things. Not every game needs to be like madden football's wash rinse repeat formula. Sometimes you get a clunker, sometimes you get a gem. Have to wait and see I suppose.
    Originally posted by tkreep
    After how SWTOR turned out its hard to have faith in this one too because swtor was also a big IP even bigger than ES.  But its always nice to know even if this fails too there are still other mmos i can look forward to like final fantasy reborn, wildstar and archeage and most of all blizzards Titan project.

swtor had EA in its business, it doesn't count anymore.

Final fantasy.. eh..

Wildstar might be nice for a PvE raid fest - if they truly make it hardcore.

Archeage is slowly losing all of its good traits due to whiny carebears.

Titan project... Hmm.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    End of story. End of drama.

But then what would be the point of this site?

Originally posted by Sentnl

Final fantasy.. eh..

Titan project... Hmm.

Im a big final fantasy fan, it was the rpg series i grew playing and final fantasy 11 was the mmo that had me the longest of any mmo so its not just a ..eh..for me.

Final fantasy.. eh..

Titan project... Hmm.

Im a big final fantasy fan and final fantasy 11 was the mmo that had me the longest of any mmo so its not just a ..eh..for me.

No judgement, I just think it's very niche :)

As gw2 failed to give me the RvRvR I wanted, I'm hoping ESO does... if not, I have to wait 2~ years for CU. So I would hate to see ESO ruined by whiny people who want it easier, or safer, or more "lame"...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

To me it's not about comparing the game to previous TES games, it's more about comparing it to other MMORPGs. I tend to prefer more open world experiences in general and this game sounds to be shaping up as being an extremely linear leveling experience with some RvR style PvP at the end.

I can't wait to see how it ends up, but I can't help but feel like I'm watching SWTOR all over again. It seems like it will be a game with great stories and a solid single player experience, only to leave me feeling disappointed by the systems that are in place at the end of the story.

So while I somewhat agree that the spirit of Elder Scrolls may not be well represented in this game, I really have a bigger issue that it won't feel like the type of open world MMORPG that I prefer. It isn't just TES vs ESO. It's ESO vs MMORPG.

Final fantasy.. eh..

Titan project... Hmm.

Im a big final fantasy fan and final fantasy 11 was the mmo that had me the longest of any mmo so its not just a ..eh..for me.

No judgement, I just think it's very niche :)

As gw2 failed to give me the RvRvR I wanted, I'm hoping ESO does... if not, I have to wait 2~ years for CU. So I would hate to see ESO ruined by whiny people who want it easier, or safer, or more "lame"...

Even tho FF reborn wont be as hard as FF11 was and has many similarities to the standard mmo (WoW) its not about that to me, its the familiar elements from the series like the monsters, classes, and items and such, its the game i grew up with. Plus I love the final fantasy style of graphics and their story telling style. Now if only there would be a xenogears or xenosaga mmo i would be in love.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
     Now if TESO is a dog's breakfast then we won't get the good, open, classless, non-linear, complex Elder Scrolls MMO people actually *would* pay and play for for another five to ten years.

i get that already with SKyrim and the next TES 6 whenever it comes out, all for a single box price, some dlc, and a brilliant modding community. Im looking forward to TESO, what i saw in videos already look pretty good but i have to say that if it doesnt offer me as much entertainment and flexibility as the other TES games and still come with a sub, then ill stick to the single player games.

This discussion has been closed.