Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be Warned the game looks to be very short!

zevenzeroszevenzeros Member UncommonPosts: 50

Watching a guy on twitch tv and he is already in the final area and what looks to be like the final story mission. I did post this on the Defiance forums and someone else has confirmed how short it is. If you dont care about the 12 hour story line and are ok with doing pvp and side missions after that like arkfalls then so be it. But for me that seems way to short of a game. Here is the fourm i started if you care to see his quick answer.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?14754-Someone-already-in-final-Zone-Area

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm beginning to feel glad I waited on this game if what you say is true.
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Scripted mmos are always short.

An mmo can only rely on solo questing and cut scenes so much before players are extremely bored (cough swtor).

All script, no depth.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

So it's three times longer than most FPS games on the market?  xD

Serious though, if this is true then I saw it coming.  Almost Pre-ordered the collector's edition and bought the $39.99 season pass until I had someone slap me in the face that I was about to spend $150 on a FPS game just for the pre-order bonuses (I'm not a fan of FPS games as well, but I have nothing against those who are and no real complaints about this game as I've only played a few beta weekends and had a decent amount of fun).

I would've been so disappointed to have beaten the game in 12 hours after paying so much money, though.

D:

...Not to mention that I watched most of the story on twitch as someone played through already.  xD

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • nicariftnicarift Member UncommonPosts: 70
    The story is meant to progress with the TV show. Which mean progressive updates throughout its lifetime. Not to meantion the extreme amount of Misc. quest that you run into along with Arc Falls
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by WellzyC

An mmo can only rely on solo questing and cut scenes som much before players are extremely bored (cough swtor).

All script, no depth.

The map currently is extremely small!

Can't help to bring it up, but it's for comparison sake.

If you look at the worldsize of WoW at launch, then the entire Defiance map pretty much fits into two of the smaller WoW zones.

That's like 1/50th the size of the entire landmass WoW had at launch.

Again.... just for comparison sake.

This game feels extremely rushed... almost in Cryptic Studios style.

It feels like the game has been developed within 2 years max!

Even the average single player RPG game has more content that this game. /shrug

TES: Skyrim for example completely dwarfs this game! Just the Main Storyline of Skryim takes way longer to complete then the Main storyline of Defiance. Not to mention the immense size of the Skyrim gameworld compared to Defiance tiny map.

With the current inflated Cashshop prices, it seems TRION is trying to quickly cash on this one... probably expecting the show not to last beyond the 12 episodes of the First Season... and so calculating the life expectancy of the game (regarding decent population).

I feel sorry for the people that got suckered in for the 30 dollar Season Pass for 5 DLC's. Unless TRION manages to push out that many within 3-4 months.

/facepalm

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by nicarift
    The story is meant to progress with the TV show. Which mean progressive updates throughout its lifetime. Not to meantion the extreme amount of Misc. quest that you run into along with Arc Falls

Still a wait and see game what with how much they release then.  The season pass made me worried that we have to pay to see the tie ins with the show.  Still, getting a one time or new event a week wouldn't keep me entertained on a personal note.  I'd definitely pay for the game if it was like $29.99 total with what I'm seeing so far.  Perhaps even pay more in a cash shop if it was free to play.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • cm01cm01 Member Posts: 47

Progressive updates throughout its lifetime. So basically just like every mmorpg on the market? Released way too early, hardly any content, no end game. Is receiving updates over time something new that Defiance brings to the table? No, I didn't think so.

• AngierAngier Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by cm01

Progressive updates throughout its lifetime. So basically just like every mmorpg on the market? Released way too early, hardly any content, no end game. Is receiving updates over time something new that Defiance brings to the table? No, I didn't think so.

If the release schedule is (bi)weekly I'd say it's at least a new approach to this topic.

BTW: How is content measured in this game? By the main storyline? Looks to me to be meant to lead you around the map the first time and you go off as you want. Think GTA meets Rift.

I'm on the fence regarding Defiance. Bought in on a whim. Unsure as of now if it was worth it or not. Addicting but irritating at times.

• zevenzeroszevenzeros Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I have chose to wait it out as im pretty sure this game will go free to play at some point. Free to play with a good cash shop and decent expansions for like 10-20$ every new season of the tv show seems like what this game should have been.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I know what this guy's done from my experience in the last beta weekend. He's put his blinkers on, ignored all the side missions and just followed the main storyline events. He's probably bypassed 70% of the content.

I did the same thing with my first character. Took me around 4 hours to get all the way to the last Storyline Mission (in the beta that is), and when that was complete, all those "side missions" vanished off the map. So I made a new char and at each stage of the main mission, new side missions became available on the map. I'd then go and do all of those before moving on to the next main mission.

By doing this my 2nd char played the rest of the weekend and only made it about half way through the main storyline (again, only the part that was shown in the beta, not the full story). So yeah, you can probably get through the main story in fairly short order, but there is other stuff going on. If you paid for the game you may as well take advantage of that content. Seems a waste to just bypass it all.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

You seem to have forgotten that it is 60 bucks for access to the servers without monthly fee or swtor-style microtransactions, also content updates (except from major expansions) and unlimited playtime.

Seems like a good deal to me, just like GW2 and Diablo 3.

Also - Defiance is NOT A MMORPG - it's a shooter. Even Trion said it is a shooter.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

You seem to have forgotten that it is 60 bucks for access to the servers without monthly fee or swtor-style microtransactions, also content updates (except from major expansions) and unlimited playtime.

Also - Defiance is NOT A MMORPG - it's a shooter. Even Trion said it is a shooter.

Nope! The 60 bucks is what you get now!  Every little content / feature update will be PAID DLC!

And for the rest you will be nickle and dimed in the Cash Shop!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by zevenzeros
    I have chose to wait it out as im pretty sure this game will go free to play at some point. Free to play with a good cash shop and decent expansions for like 10-20$ every new season of the tv show seems like what this game should have been.

It is free to play after client has been purchased.

No different from GW2 or buying Borderlands 2.

If you want a free client as well I don't know what to tell you.

Originally posted by zevenzeros

It is free to play after client has been purchased.

No different from GW2 or buying Borderlands 2.

If you want a free client as well I don't know what to tell you.

At least ArenaNet has so far released major content updates for free!

And on top you don't get nickle and dimed in the Cash Shop.

Defiance won't get free content updates! Everything will be added via PAID DLC!

Hence they try to trick people already in buying a 30 dollar season pass for the first 5 DLC's!

The more I play it... the more it feels like a total Cash Grab! /shrug

No need to tell me anything as i have said i think the game should be free to play. I understand other games are buy to play like Guild Wars 2. Which i do think (GW2) is worth the price as the game has a huge game world with much more to do in it then this game does. This game should be free to play with a good cash shop and paid expansions every once in a while. 
  • AngierAngier Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Nope! The 60 bucks is what you get now!  Every little content / feature update will be PAID DLC!

Content will be available for free. There will be optional content per paid DLC.

The Cash Shop is convenience and cosmetics atm. Expensive but not p2win.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by WellzyC

An mmo can only rely on solo questing and cut scenes som much before players are extremely bored (cough swtor).

All script, no depth.

The map currently is extremely small!

Can't help to bring it up, but it's for comparison sake.

If you look at the worldsize of WoW at launch, then the entire Defiance map pretty much fits into two of the smaller WoW zones.

That's like 1/50th the size of the entire landmass WoW had at launch.

Again.... just for comparison sake.

This game feels extremely rushed... almost in Cryptic Studios style.

It feels like the game has been developed within 2 years max!

Even the average single player RPG game has more content that this game. /shrug

TES: Skyrim for example completely dwarfs this game! Just the Main Storyline of Skryim takes way longer to complete then the Main storyline of Defiance. Not to mention the immense size of the Skyrim gameworld compared to Defiance tiny map.

With the current inflated Cashshop prices, it seems TRION is trying to quickly cash on this one... probably expecting the show not to last beyond the 12 episodes of the First Season... and so calculating the life expectancy of the game (regarding decent population).

I feel sorry for the people that got suckered in for the 30 dollar Season Pass for 5 DLC's. Unless TRION manages to push out that many within 3-4 months.

/facepalm

This is what I got from beta. It'a a pitty too, because I've been looking forward to this one since the rumors of Trion getting 150 million (or was it 100 mill) to make 3 mmos. 

What bothers me the most is that it's 60$ upfront.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I know what this guy's done from my experience in the last beta weekend. He's put his blinkers on, ignored all the side missions and just followed the main storyline events. He's probably bypassed 70% of the content.

I did the same thing with my first character. Took me around 4 hours to get all the way to the last Storyline Mission (in the beta that is), and when that was complete, all those "side missions" vanished off the map. So I made a new char and at each stage of the main mission, new side missions became available on the map. I'd then go and do all of those before moving on to the next main mission.

By doing this my 2nd char played the rest of the weekend and only made it about half way through the main storyline. So yeah, you can probably get through the main story in fairly short order, but there is other stuff going on. If you paid for the game you may as well take advantage of that content. Seems a waste to just bypass it all.

Thread should have ended with this post tbh.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

Originally posted by Thyrsos

Content will be available for free. There will be optional content per paid DLC.

The Cash Shop is convenience and cosmetics atm. Expensive but not p2win.

Where is this mentioned? So far everything points to PAID DLC only.

Originally posted by Byrhofen

By doing this my 2nd char played the rest of the weekend and only made it about half way through the main storyline. So yeah, you can probably get through the main story in fairly short order, but there is other stuff going on. If you paid for the game you may as well take advantage of that content. Seems a waste to just bypass it all.

Yeah i guess you could say the game has some more side quests to do, but even if that doubles the ammount of time it takes like say 15 hours main story and 15 hours side quests game still is only 30 hours. After that you have Ark falls which seem to be worthless from what i understand, PvP which looks ok but you could really do that in better games and a couple of Coop instances i think like 4? I would be more ok with the main story being short if the game map was huge! and had lots of side missions and random events going on. Sadly its a very tiny map.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    still longer than the new Bioshock

How so?

Even the available side missions included, you get about 30 hours worth of content tops! That's it!

For comparison, I have spend over 200 hours in Skyrim and still haven't completed all the non-story content, still haven't explored the complete map and discovered every cave, dungeon, hidden content, have barely scratched the surface of crafting and still have a way to go in leveling / progressing my character!

The main storyline alone in Skyrim took me over 40 hours to complete. That is already more than all content of Defiance combined.

Defiance doesn't even come close.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    If the game is so short, you'd hope that the content would be pretty high quality.
  • fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

How so?

Even the available side missions included, you get about 30 hours worth of content tops! That's it!

For comparison, I have spend over 200 hours in Skyrim and still haven't completed all the non-story content, still haven't explored the complete map and discovered every cave, dungeon, hidden content, have barely scratched the surface of crafting and still have a way to go in leveling / progressing my character!

Defiance doesn't even come close.

You will never complete all the non story content in Skyrim

• AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Think about it tho if its 12 hrs to beat the game now maybe in every episode theres another 12 hours to the story mode added im sure after every episode they wouldnt add just a small amount of content during every episode