Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Celebrating Six Big Years

13»

Comments

• TorreyHTorreyH Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by evilastro

Vanguards problems are in its servers and optimisation. The graphics themselves are OK, but its impossible to have smooth gameplay out of it, which is a shame because it ruins the game. It takes 5 seconds for mobs to actually show that they are dead. Not to mention the clunky UI. If they fixed those, even the dated graphics wouldnt bother people that wanted a more hardcore experience.

This.  I really want to like this game.  The world, the class dynamics, crafting, diplomacy - so much work was put into this.  And it really does still have that challenging, hard-core gameplay you hardly ever see any more.  Great community, too.  But the technical issues are just too severe.  Much more than new content, this is what needs to be addressed to give Vanguard a decent chance. 

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by TorreyH

Vanguards problems are in its servers and optimisation. The graphics themselves are OK, but its impossible to have smooth gameplay out of it, which is a shame because it ruins the game. It takes 5 seconds for mobs to actually show that they are dead. Not to mention the clunky UI. If they fixed those, even the dated graphics wouldnt bother people that wanted a more hardcore experience.

This.  I really want to like this game.  The world, the class dynamics, crafting, diplomacy - so much work was put into this.  And it really does still have that challenging, hard-core gameplay you hardly ever see any more.  Great community, too.  But the technical issues are just too severe.  Much more than new content, this is what needs to be addressed to give Vanguard a decent chance. 

Yes agreed to both these posts, this is what I am experiencing too : lots of server instability and troubles with the UI/technical aspect. This is where the game failed at release, and though it is better, it is still not up to par with games like Rift and WoW.

I have played lots of games in the EU and in the US from this ISP and none of them give me a ping above 200 except this one on the US server. I wanted to roll there since I know it has a bigger population, but with my ping being at roughly 250 or 300 most of the time, I don't get good gameplay.

The EU server is really, really unstable. I have a 150 ping there, which is a little high for a European server, generally I get 50 on most servers based in the EU, and then I go through periods of having extremely bad lagspikes including up to 10k just about 30 minutes ago. I asked in general chat if other people were getting bad lagspikes and the answer was that they were.

Granted, I have only been back for 3 days, but all 3 have had massive lag issues.

I get the combat lag too, where it takes a small amount of time for the server to realize that a mob has just been killed.

Despite these frustrations, I am still playing, since it is free right ?

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• LordPancakeLordPancake Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Fangrim
    Originally posted by Fangrim
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Meridion
    ida played this game since release if they had more people in it

That's what everyone said... and why no one played it.

...and, like someone else said before, 'big years'? Hardly.

What has been done to VG over the years is a disgrace, even down to the final carpetbagging of it through F2P that we are seeing now when a free client/ trial + expack + sub 4 years ago would have served it so much better (and gained it a ton of new players).

They tried the free trial ages ago with the Isle of Dawn. And guess what? It didnt work.

Thats why this game got put on the shelf by SoE, only to be revived once F2P worked on their flagship games.

Did you play it on your mobile phone?,because the 5 seconds for a mob to show die is just a downright lie,at least  on my pc.

No, my computer is probably much better than yours. And I have a 30 mbps internet connection.

My PC runs pretty much any MMO available at max settings with zero lag. Except Vanguard. So yeah, its not me, its the game.

ah I see where this is going but my dad would beat your dad in a fight.

That wasn't where it was going. I was just pre-empting any stupid 'upgrade your PC' or 'get a better ISP' comments. As someone who has raided in Vanguard I can't figure out whether you are blindly white knighting them or have such bad reflexes that you don't notice the combat lag. The game is poorly optimized and has a clunky ui. That isn't an opinion, it's just how it is. The developers have widely acknowledged this, but there is only so much they can do about it. 

I dont have 5 second mob deaths either, occassionally they show 0% health, then die, but I think thats just because they still have a few HP left, and are still fighting.

Also the UI is easily solved by the number of available UIs, Drox/Rufin etc.

I think its an opinion from someone who prefers the new direction of action MMOs against old school static combat.  And as far as the raiding goes, pics or it didnt happen.  If you hate the UI and death lag so much you wouldnt have finished the giant grind to VG endlevel.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Vanguard has always had so many technical issues that for many of us it jsut wasn't enjoyable as a result.....I was able to play it early on, but the last couple of years I cant even get it to load anymore (only MMO I have this issue with)......The game has been a technological piece of crud since day 1 and six years later remains that way.