Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minecraft proves everyone wants Shadowbane 2

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

20 million people across the globe have minecraft.  You can build everything, destory everything, PK players, kill NPC's in the most basic form.  Shadowbane was that as well but had an RPG element and actual persistant world.  The number of players playing Minecraft trash the 12 million players WoW used to have.

Players want sand and are willing to play a horrible looking game to do so (Minecraft and Shadowbane were good examples of this).  

Lets update that idea and do what Shadowbane did almost 10 years ago: 1000 vs 1000 player sieges on cities built by players for players.  No other game has matched the siege side of Shadowbane but at least one game meets the sandbox side (Minecraft).  Why can't developers do today what was done years ago?

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Amen Brother!  Shadowbane is still to this day one of my favorite mmo's.  No other game has come close to offering the mass combat with sandbox city building that it did.  All the hacks and bugs that plagued it, and yet it still was the game that I miss most of all.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

they don't think there is money in it.

hard to convince investors when the only thing you have to show them died a slow miserable death after a few mediocre years. that being said, i'd love a shadowbane 2. i think something like archage will be as close as we get for a long time though.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

1.  20 million have bought minecraft.  Almost 100 million have bought WoW.  We currently have no idea how many people are actively playing minecraft.

2. With private servers people can control what happens and who plays on their server.

3.  All minecraft shows is that people like a game that has building, destroying.  And some like to pvp/destroy.

In order to make the assertion you made everyone would have to be actively playing on a server that allows building, destroying and pvp.  Many servers do not allow all of that.

So no.  People may want what you claim, however the data of minecraft does not support this.  You have a few more steps to identify before you can accurately make that claim.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

20 million people across the globe have minecraft.  You can build everything, destory everything, PK players, kill NPC's in the most basic form.  Shadowbane was that as well but had an RPG element and actual persistant world.  The number of players playing Minecraft trash the 12 million players WoW used to have.

Players want sand and are willing to play a horrible looking game to do so (Minecraft and Shadowbane were good examples of this).  

Lets update that idea and do what Shadowbane did almost 10 years ago: 1000 vs 1000 player sieges on cities built by players for players.  No other game has matched the siege side of Shadowbane but at least one game meets the sandbox side (Minecraft).  Why can't developers do today what was done years ago?

i laugh at your concept that 20 million people "having" as in "bought" minecraft equals to blizzards 12 million actively subscribed players(which last reported was down to 9.6m btw), as in the people who paid for 1 month or more of game time, not all the others who have bought the game like you included on the minecraft side.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Funny, I thought SB closing down proved that no one wanted SB2. If it was so great it would have survived or even thrived at some point in its life. Greact concept, but they failed miserablly.

Really, I think it proves people want more than just a guided tour through a make-believe "world". 

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

Dayz proves everyone want Warz.. Oh wait no...

Minecraft proves everyone likes minecraft.  League of legend proves everyone likes that.

The reality is you are really mixing genre.  If you want to play those genre in the most pure form you can just play that. 

I don't personally have anything against Shadowbane or Warz or battle arena in a mmorpg.  I think that is great.  I just think if you want to build anything, destroy anything, kill players and npc in the most basic form "just" play minecraft.  The reality is if Shadowbane have 20 million players, I'll shutup, but it never have.

And by the way, Wow have far more than 12 million players.  I dont' know if it is 20 or 30 or 40+ million players.  The reality is something Blizzard dont' want you to know.  Most of those player quit already. 

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by laokoko

And by the way, Wow have far more than 12 million players.  I dont' know if it is 20 or 30 or 40+ million players.  The reality is something Blizzard dont' want you to know.  Most of those player quit already.  

Haha, what? No. Just no.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

20 million people across the globe have minecraft.  You can build everything, destory everything, PK players, kill NPC's in the most basic form. 

"20 million people across the globe have minecraft."

Of those 20 million, how many are still playing? Of those currently playing, what is the demographic?

"You can build everything, destory everything, PK players, kill NPC's in the most basic form."

What percent are playing that what and what percent are playing in creative mode either solo or with friends and family?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by wormed
    Originally posted by laokoko

Haha, what? No. Just no.

Actually, he's probably correct. The OP is counting everyone that bought Minecraft, not just those that currently play. laokoko's number is the same thing - everyone that has played, not just those that are currently playing.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Funny, you would think if "everyone" wanted Shadowbane "everyone" would still be PLAYING Shadowbane...image

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Sandbox?  Yes.

Shadowbane?  Meh.  Make something with a similar philosophy sure, but Shadowbane's quality was lacking and it suffered because of it.

I did love me some Shadowbane back in the day, though.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

20 million people across the globe have minecraft. 

You can build everything, destory everything, PK players, kill NPC's in the most basic form.  Shadowbane was that as well but had an RPG element and actual persistant world.

But is there proof that all 20 million are playing in this exact same way?

Aren't there other wasy to play minecraft?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    I would say that it just proves that people like building, and controlling who they play with.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

Originally posted by Slampig

Funny, you would think if "everyone" wanted Shadowbane "everyone" would still be PLAYING Shadowbane...image

image  Cheers, man. image

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Minecraft proves everyone wants Minecraft.

Shadowbane proves very few wants Shadowbane 2.

Get your logic straight.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Originally posted by Golelorn

Really, I think it proves people want more than just a guided tour through a make-believe "world". 

This is what all games of today are.  Theme parks.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

hm... and .... why do you..... how did.....

minecraft proved people want shadowbane 2? actually i think it just proved they wanted minecraft :)

might be wrong here tho.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

Shadowbane was my very first mmorpg. I have very fond memories of it and many many hours lost to it. I remember ordering the game online and waiting for the box to arrive. I trotted along each day to the post office to see if my game was there. it finally arrived! it was a large box, remember how the old game boxes were?. 

By some miracle I was actually playing the game on 56.6K modem. I am from the deep south of New Zealand and I didn't have broadband at the time, so dialup was the only option. I do recall it running very well though. shame it closed, and to be honest no mmorpg has really kept me interested for as long as Shadowbane did .

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

People like Cherry they will like Cherry Coke.

People like RPGs so they will like Pen and Paper DnD

People like to go fast so they like to run

Vigors (Plasmids) from Bioshock prove everyone wants to go insane and have deformities. 

Yeah, my point is its a silly thing to try to link 2 different things. Heck, its even a bit dumb to do it for two things that are the same. I can have Soda A and Soda B with the exact same soda, and Soda A can skyrocket in sales while Soda B bombs. 

Its just stupid to try and claim one thing's success will determine the success of a second different thing.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

The creators of Shadowbane go on to develop the highly successful Wizarding 101 (and now Pirates 101). They've raked in millions of dollars with this highly focused, highly restricted f2p model.

Guess this proves everyone wants a children's game...

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Shadowbane sounded great on paper,but the game itself stunk..

if there was another one made,Im pretty sure it would be highly niched.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

you are kidding, right? most of the minecraft players dont play it to "destroy everything and pk players" - most of the minecraft players are not pvpers at all