Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Aion a Pay2Win game?

NeichelNeichel Member Posts: 5

Hey,

Like in title, im want to start playing Aion, but i just dont know if it is possible to play casually by not spending money on item shop. Im gonna try it out cause of pvp system, which i heard is worth checking, but if ill not be able to achieve anything without money, its just not for me :)

Please tell me how it looks right now in Aion. Game seems to be pretty good, and a new big patch is coming there, so Im really interested in Aion.

Cheers ;)

Comments

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    I also been wondering, already downloaded aion and messed around a bit but havent looked at the cash shop try to understand it. I've also been wondering about that pvp at level cap?
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    From what I get, you can buy higher chances to enchant gear so technically yes it is pay to win or at least pay to do more damage faster than someone else. If it takes someone else 12 chances to enchant their gear, and it only takes you 5 because you paid, and you got it faster than they did and were more successful in pvp and pve then it makes it pay to win.
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    No it's not pay to win.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

EU servers (haven't tried US).

You will not be competitve without the gold packs.  The dungeon cooldowns as you level up become that prohibitive.  Until 40ish the difference won't be that noticeable, after the gap widens considerably between paying and not.

The gold packs are relatively expensive in game, so I'm not sure that it would be feasible for casual play to aquire them as fast as they expire.  Though if you are playing casually the cooldown timers may not be as big an issue (for non abyss / crucible gear instances).

Without gold packs I'm not sure you will find it that fun in the long run.  But feel free to try it out, you might enjoy it :)

• NeichelNeichel Member Posts: 5

OK, so if we look in that way it is pay2win. But what i want also from game is access to all options of game. Do i have it if i do not pay? I mean using auction house, all dungeons, all weapons and just having fun with community?

And what s the difference between american and europe server? And will it be laggy for me to play on NA if i live in EU ?

EU has trade broker heavily restricted for free players.  You won't be able to buy or sell iirc on the free model without veteran account.

The dungeon cooldowns, as you approach level cap, become an issue (but if you only play a bit then it won't be as harsh for most) for free as you simply won't keep up and the differences are that big. 

Dredgion alone is 22hrs for free vs 2hrs for gold, and thats the PvP instance most people run for the pvp currency as much as possible.

The NA server is less restrictive but from what I recall sells items via cash shop.  The NA also gets updates in a far more timely manner.

• NeichelNeichel Member Posts: 5
    What about lags while playing in Europe?
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Neichel
    What about lags while playing in Europe?

Don't know about now, but from the UK (I think EU servers are in Germany) I had no worse lag in NA than EU when I was playing a year or so ago, in fact I seemed to suffer more from bad lagspikes in EU.

I didn't notice any bad cases of lag when I played on the EU Gameforge servers.

I did notice high latency on the US servers, but I am very used to low latency and whilst playable I didn't have as much fun.

However my experiences may not be the same as others so I would say try them to check the latency if you are able.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    From what I get, you can buy higher chances to enchant gear so technically yes it is pay to win or at least pay to do more damage faster than someone else. If it takes someone else 12 chances to enchant their gear, and it only takes you 5 because you paid, and you got it faster than they did and were more successful in pvp and pve then it makes it pay to win.

You seem to have a massive misunderstanding of what "Pay to win" means based on this.

Pay to when is when you can use money to get an advantage that "Cannot be obtained without the use of real money".  You are not getting anything a non paying player can not get in this scenario.  I am not sure about how Aion works on the while, but this is not pay to win.

Pay to win would be like the model some F2P games use which is "you can not enchant your gear without spending real money, meaning without dropping real cash your basic character wont be as good as some one who does spend money".

If by paying I can get something quicker (Levels, higher drop rate ect) that is not pay to win, its pay for convenience, because there is nothing I can get that a non paying player cant get.

• ElmollElmoll Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Kothoses
    Originally posted by Panther2103

You seem to have a massive misunderstanding of what "Pay to win" means based on this.

Pay to when is when you can use money to get an advantage that "Cannot be obtained without the use of real money".  You are not getting anything a non paying player can not get in this scenario.  I am not sure about how Aion works on the while, but this is not pay to win.

Pay to win would be like the model some F2P games use which is "you can not enchant your gear without spending real money, meaning without dropping real cash your basic character wont be as good as some one who does spend money".

If by paying I can get something quicker (Levels, higher drop rate ect) that is not pay to win, its pay for convenience, because there is nothing I can get that a non paying player cant get.

Very well said dear :) agreed on this