Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Easter for Old MMOs. Some old games need new servers. (Rebirth lol)

Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

I could sit here and name a list of 50 popular, or waning games that would be big hits once again if they simply created a new parallel server.

So many mature games (as in 8 years old+) are so much better than the new nickle extractor games we see released every day.  All they'd hvae to do is copy paste their whole server onto a new machine, create a fresh database, and say "New server for those that want a fresh start in a new world"

I think Aeria just did this with one of their most popular games, however the game is a nickle extractor which has no depth, your character fights and then pvps then fights some more, no crafting or anything.

It's not fun to join a game where every crafted item is worth less than the materials necessary to make it simply because the game is so old that nobody needs low level items anymore.

Without delving too deep in the rant, can you name a game you'd like to see reborn?  This rebirth of a game may or may not include some graphical or bug fixes.

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    and just like easter. its rebirth so it can die again.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• LeaningKidGokuLeaningKidGoku Member Posts: 41

Ha! I feel your pain brother.

The games I fell inlove with which were the first MMOs I played were, Rappelz & FlyFF.

They constantly spread the game like it's a whole new thing when it's exactly the same since I played. Rappelz, on the other hand kinda helped me understand that a "Huge Update" as they say is really just new high classed weapons, and monsters that I won't even be able to get or fight unless I get to a certain level in the game. I understand it but they should do updates in games which actually change the entire adventure with a new story from the beginning other than adding a few things to the game that would only effect the hardcore high leveled players of the game which doesn't sound unreasonable but still. A little change for the noobs won't hurt will it?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    If games don't have enough players for the server(s) they have now, then spreading the playerbase among even more servers will fix it?  Right.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    If games don't have enough players for the server(s) they have now, then spreading the playerbase among even more servers will fix it?  Right.

Classic servers have been an overwhelming success for the companies that have done them. Look at Fippy Darkpaw, so popular they had to open TWO new servers. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Anarchy Online, an oldie but goodie, recently merged its two servers into one new one and it is alot better now...The game feels much more alive, chat is much mroe active, and the game almost feels like a rebirth....
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Classic servers have been an overwhelming success for the companies that have done them. Look at Fippy Darkpaw, so popular they had to open TWO new servers. 

If you're talking about opening a new server with a different ruleset that is how the game was years earlier, that's more complicated than merely starting a new server without changing anything.  I'm not saying that it can't or shouldn't be done; it may make sense in some cases.  But that's not what this thread is about.

If you just start a new server that is the same as the other ones except that it's new, then even if it does attract a bunch of players to it, it will probably be merely players moving from old servers to the new one.  That either leaves the older servers deader than they were or necessitates the merger of older servers.  Server mergers because you have to do it to make the game playable may be a necessary evil, but server mergers for the sake of server mergers is completely stupid.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

I could sit here and name a list of 50 popular, or waning games that would be big hits once again if they simply created a new parallel server.

So many mature games (as in 8 years old+) are so much better than the new nickle extractor games we see released every day.  All they'd hvae to do is copy paste their whole server onto a new machine, create a fresh database, and say "New server for those that want a fresh start in a new world"

I think Aeria just did this with one of their most popular games, however the game is a nickle extractor which has no depth, your character fights and then pvps then fights some more, no crafting or anything.

It's not fun to join a game where every crafted item is worth less than the materials necessary to make it simply because the game is so old that nobody needs low level items anymore.

Without delving too deep in the rant, can you name a game you'd like to see reborn?  This rebirth of a game may or may not include some graphical or bug fixes.

I don't think all old server side code necessarily sees an improvement from newer hardware.  Newer hardware could emulate an older environment, but that doesn't necessarily means it will scale.

I tried searching for the article I read, but I can't find it.  I could be wrong though and I'm sure Quizz could probably explain how scaling, hardware, and servers work better than I could.  I just don't think it's as simple as you imagine.

You don't buy new hardware unless either the old hardware needs to be replaced (e.g., it died, or is old enough to be unreliable), you have or expect a considerable increase in your active playerbase, or the new servers would be so much more efficient than the old as to save you money on net.  The latter could happen if a brand new $3000 server (let's assume that $3000 figure includes the cost of setting it up, moving your data to it, etc.) saves you $1000/year on energy costs to run it as compared to keeping the older servers running, and you plan on keeping it running for substantially longer than three years.  I don't know how commonly something along those lines would happen in real-life, but it could happen at least in theory.  But you can do that in the background without players ever knowing about it.

That's a problem of a bad crafting system, not a problem of the servers having been around for a long time.  Opening a new server as you propose wouldn't fix it, as that would at most give a temporary blip of some people briefly being lower level.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Where this is most important is PVP heavy games like Aion or Warcraft.  I actually think a PVP game could do well to have players start on disposable servers that last for a couple of months before giving you a choice of which real server to live on.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

That's a problem of a bad crafting system, not a problem of the servers having been around for a long time.  Opening a new server as you propose wouldn't fix it, as that would at most give a temporary blip of some people briefly being lower level.

Why is that a bad design?  Again, it's a matter of opinion. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

Why is that a bad design?  Again, it's a matter of opinion. 

Why have a crafting system at all if there's exactly nothing in the entire game worth bothering to craft?

If you don't like that every crafted item is worth less than the materials to craft it, it's a problem of the crafting system, not a problem of servers being old.  New servers won't fix it.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by centkin
    Where this is most important is PVP heavy games like Aion or Warcraft.  I actually think a PVP game could do well to have players start on disposable servers that last for a couple of months before giving you a choice of which real server to live on.

WoW is a PvE game... it barely has any PvP. And the PvP it has is not very good.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Shadowbane...

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by centkin

WoW is a PvE game... it barely has any PvP. And the PvP it has is not very good.

Yea, 4-5 BGs, Arenas, Open world pvp, WoW barely has any PvP indeed.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

EQ had success. What other MMOs are you saying also had success with that?

The reason devs don't open a new server is because it does nothing other than cannibalize the existing servers. Then, a couple months later when the novelty dies, some of the players that migrated stay on the new server, some return to the old one and others just quit because the community, once again, is eroding. Meanwhile, the main servers all suffered in the process.

Fippy works because it is rolling out the existing releases over time for the existing crowd. It was a retention move, not an acquisition one.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well you are correct OP,i have seen this on MANY occasions.

Square Enix is really dumb,if they released an old school server,i bet it would be packed with returning players.

I am sure there are tons that would like Vanilla Wow,i see it all the time.

I am sure SWG vanilla would be a hit,but as known by many,the old data is gone,so couldn't happen anyhow.

Freeport is the newest EQ2 server and imo probably the most packed.

New servers tend to have a lot of ship jumpers,even better if devs don't allow players to switch servers,otherwise the new server becomes nothing more than a new name with the same players.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Mabinogi needs to remake their game.  I love the hell out of their music system you can't find that in any game anywhere!!!  If they had Final Fantasy graphics and no crashes they'd be so on top.