Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grinding is boring right, GW2 and Tera have the solution.

Comments

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Waterlily

confused. how are those good things? its still grind.

was being sarcastic but I should have been more obvious haha

I'm sure if we had access to it, you would find similar numbers on many dungeons in many games from level 5 agents in EVE that never see traffic to Mirkwood instances that don't get run.

It ties in with all these threads where l33t boyz cry "make it harder" yet when the game devs do?

Nobody does it.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by FromHell

but...but....  you are filling a PROGRESS BAR, it´s no more Kill X of Y !!

Totally different I say.

Also -- hey hey, no quest hubs!! I always said "boy, the first MMO without quest hubs will have so much less clicking on NPCs,  it will be a mega hit!"

Well, you just don´t see a real innovation 10/10 when it bites you in your shiny metal, GW2 is the climax of innovation. In fact if you look up "innovation" in your dictionary, you will notice a picture of a GW2 box.

Hahaha So true!!!! Throw in an auto accept for quests and ultra spammy zerg rez DPS combat and you have the most innovative game eva11111!!!!  

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by stayontarget

You do know what grinding mob's is right?   Here I will give you an example:

Silkroad:  Kill 3,000 flowers  (0/3).   .02 % exp per kill.  .5 % exp per quest turn in.

You really should know the difference before even trying to be sarcastic.

running up and down NPC getting quest after quest, getting daily after daily, spending most of your time running to the guy with the question mark is not grinding?

It's grinding too, but it's much worse than the old grinding where you just killed mobs, because there you actually had time to talk to your group and focus on the gameplay.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Silkroad:  Kill 3,000 flowers  (0/3).   .02 % exp per kill.  .5 % exp per quest turn in.

running up and down NPC getting quest after quest, getting daily after daily, spending most of your time running to the guy with the question mark is not grinding?

It's grinding too, but it's much worse than the old grinding where you just killed mobs, because there you actually had time to talk to your group and focus on the gameplay.

Agreed. There are different types of grinding and doing mind numbing events or the same daily quests can really suck your will to live. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Grind is going to exist,  its all about if its done in a way that is fun. Tera had a standerd quest system (which is a shame) though its combat often helped weaken the feeling of 'grinding'. GW2 had quests packaged a little different with more 'events' to make it feel a little different though of course just being repackaged quests still. 

Neither game I feel did a very good job at hiding the grind. Tera's combat is amazing but still quite flawed, and GW2's quest 'disguise' is easily seen through within the first few hours of play, and doesn't have combat that is very good or progressive making it get repetative really quickly and really early.

It wasn't about not having grind, it was about having engaging gameplay. Tera comes close to this but in the end it needed more of what GW2 attempted to hide the quest. Sure GW2 failed poorly at it (and dailies are just daily quests repackaged as 'achievement dailies') but it at least did try and make it feel different, the events, though very static feeling, at least came close to making things more interesting even if it came just short of hitting the mark.

Action combat is a way to draw attention and hide the grind, but it needs to be done right.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    No thanks, daily checklists are so boring, it is like you are being told what you have to do every day.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

And?  Your first sentence says this is about "mob grinding".  He's right, you don't know what it means.  In fact, it doesn't seem like you know what your thread is about.

• nhiscoolnhiscool Member Posts: 17

games are only how players make them to be.

if you say the games boring yes it will be boring. 

if you say wow this is the most amazing game ever, i look forward to logging on and playing with all of my online friends and we can beat the gw2 boss etc lol XD

Originally posted by Eir_S

And?  Your first sentence says this is about "mob grinding".  He's right, you don't know what it means.  In fact, it doesn't seem like you know what your thread is about.

I don't know what you're talking about. My thread is going over your head it seems even though most people have no trouble getting it.

Maybe you are new to MMO, but people have long realised that quest grinding exists.

My premise is that the alternative of quest grinding is no better than that of mob grinding, in fact it's worse.

In fact, GW2 and Tera are using WoW's old model of quest grinding.

If you don't get it by now I can't help you.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Yes... because having daily achievements that were added specifically to cater to those complaining they didn't have enough crap to grind for, is exactly what Anet was talking about when they said they were offering alternatives to the standard kill quest.

/eyeroll

And so the great GW2 smear campaign continues. Some of these people should consider a career in politics, they're getting a lot of practice skewing the truth.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    True but he clarified that the OP was sarcastic. Eh, I think there are positives and negatives to both "grouping mob kill" leveling and "quest leveling". I will give GW2 credit that at least people are congregating for a similar purpose and helping eachother out.

I don't know what you're talking about. My thread is going over your head it seems even though most people have no trouble getting it.

Maybe you are new to MMO, but people have long realised that quest grinding exists.

My premise is that the alternative of quest grinding is no better than that of mob grinding, in fact it's worse.

In fact, GW2 and Tera are using WoW's old model of quest grinding.

If you don't get it by now I can't help you.

Haha.  "It's over your head."  Never heard that on the internet before... talk about innovation.  Sarcasm is new as well.  You're right, your thread is going great!

PS: It's only grinding if you make yourself do it or the game makes you do it.  I've done GW2 dailies without even noticing.  Have fun with your campaign of inaccuracy.

Haha.  "It's over your head."  Never heard that on the internet before... talk about innovation.  Sarcasm is new as well.  You're right, your thread is going great!

well thanks for the derail all the same, goodbye

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Aelious
    True but he clarified that the OP was sarcastic. Eh, I think there are positives and negatives to both "grouping mob kill" leveling and "quest leveling". I will give GW2 credit that at least people are congregating for a similar purpose and helping eachother out.

Even though he's being sarcastic, he's completely overlooking the fact (deliberately) that in GW2 the 'grind' is entirely optional. It's literally there for people who complain about not having enough things to grind for.

In TERA, it's mandatory. You literally can't get through the game w/ out grinding your little heart out. GW2? You can get to 80 in a day provided you have ~10g and internet access. Neither of which are hard to come by. It's also insanely easy to get max-lvl exotics in GW2, which is considered max-stat gear for most purposes. You can get that extra 5% boost from grinding fractal gear if you want, but it's far from necessary, and doesn't give you much of an advantage.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

Grinding by killing mobs is so "mindless and boring" right, Guild Wars 2 and Tera Online have found the solution.

New and innovative.

GW2:

TERA:

i m with you :)

Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Aelious

Even though he's being sarcastic, he's completely overlooking the fact (deliberately) that in GW2 the 'grind' is entirely optional. It's literally there for people who complain about not having enough things to grind for.

In TERA, it's mandatory. You literally can't get through the game w/ out grinding your little heart out. GW2? You can get to 80 in a day provided you have ~10g and internet access. Neither of which are hard to come by. It's also insanely easy to get max-lvl exotics in GW2, which is considered max-stat gear for most purposes. You can get that extra 5% boost from grinding fractal gear if you want, but it's far from necessary, and doesn't give you much of an advantage.

Exactly.  I think that for some reason they threw GW2 in simply because they don't like it.  Can you even level in PvP in TERA like you can in GW2?  I don't think so.  Can you completely close the dailies list in both games and you know, do what you want?  Yes.  Yes, you can.  I know, shocking...

How is doing something that you often don't even notice you're doing compare to having to grind because your game ran out of quests and/or things to do?  No it's not innovative, but if you find it boring, well have fun with the alternative and hopefully your brain doesn't turn to jelly after killing the 10,000 rat.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Grinding is boring if the story doesn't hold up. I recall killing thousands of mobs in baldurs gate1 /2, dragon age, mass effect, swtor etc etc. Not one of those grinds were boring.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Oh no you poor child, it must be so hard for you to gather up those quest.  I tell you what,  Prove to me that mob grinding is so much better by downloading Silkroad and giving it a go.  My guess is that you will give up at around lv30 or so when you realize its going to take you 3-4 years to reach max....but hay I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Grinding is boring if the story doesn't hold up. I recall killing thousands of mobs in baldurs gate1 /2, dragon age, mass effect, swtor etc etc. Not one of those grinds were boring.

considering that about 60% of my game time is on a old neverwinter nights 2 server right now. i agree with this cause the grind is pretty high. but at the same time i dont ever really fill it cause the RP and DM run daiy events kinda make you not notice it and really enjoy it.

also um tera/ GW2 not have grind

OP pass the stuff around the circle dont keep it to your self man, cause those game are just as bad as any other heck tera dousnt even have a change in enimies it just changes the skin on them slightly, but when i played through that game i could always tell exatly what a new mob was goiugn to do via compareing it to the exact same kinda mob all other zones had and use the exact same tactic and whala, it become a stale combat with basicly 121123 fighting just like any other MMO just in this one your doge /block is part of that pattern., and honestly i still think a game that claims action style combat with animation lock is a sin.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    If you like the story of gw2 or the world of tera, it isn't a bad grind though. I really didn't like the story of gw2 so I felt bored at the the grinds.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Who cares? After months of GW2 there are still thousands of players loving GW2 and Tera. No matter what taunt the OP throws it has no influence on those "grinding" fun. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I'm not playing GW2 or TERA or WoW or any MMO because they are all a big fat grind; devolpers are fart brains and can't make a creative world like Little Big Planet, Minecraft, and TS2.  At least WoW let their public play with their UI - the reason WoW became popular but no one remembers that.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    So you hate grinding but you do the same thing over and over and over and over again every single day? Aka post on this forum. You repeat the same content (writing a post) all the time? How is that for a grind!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    I'm not playing GW2 or TERA or WoW or any MMO because they are all a big fat grind; devolpers are fart brains and can't make a creative world like Little Big Planet, Minecraft, and TS2.  At least WoW let their public play with their UI - the reason WoW became popular but no one remembers that.

WoW became popular because you could play with your UI?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I don't have a problem with certain games with a grinding curve, the only thing i only felt bored of is doing it multiple times, expecially when your doing it again on an alt, and another alt, etc. That's why i get tired of doing dailies in WoW after i continue getting the dull vibe of renewable quest of kill x of y. Hell i think trying to get these achievements are just like the quests in WoW but with some difficulty of gaining it, for ahieve-o-holics out there.

An mmorpg that contains quests will most like contain grind, a game without quests will lead to alot of grind, as you focus on getting certain time that mob drop.