Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Movement based on terrain: What say you?

2»

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Generally I think it's a really cool concept. I like the idea of it.

I think the problem with having movement based on terrain, is it's going to be very difficult to make this both balanced and FUN. Think back to other games you've played, where your movement gets restricted. How much fun was it to suddenly be slowed, knocked down, or stunned. Not much.

It definitely does add another layer of strategy, though.

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

Swimming in plate mail is beyond belief.

Nanulak

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by Arnfiarnunn

YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!

I want to see these elves dying before reaching the top of our hill !image

What's an elf? Oh, yeah, those sparkly things with pointed ears. Not sure I've seen any of them around the office lately. :)

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!

What's an elf? Oh, yeah, those sparkly things with pointed ears. Not sure I've seen any of them around the office lately. :)

Tomorrow is Easter, i'm sure you'll see some form of "pointed ears"....oh wait those are rabbits, nevermind :)

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Oh shit. Digging deeper into the myths, I see. I can't wait to see the races available for the TDD.

/prays for Daoine Sidhe playable race. ;)
  • ArnfiarnunnArnfiarnunn Member UncommonPosts: 61

This, Sir, made my day. They were slain.

FINALLY! (life achievement done.)

Need to drink with some pals to celebrate this.

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    Oh shit. Digging deeper into the myths, I see. I can't wait to see the races available for the TDD.

Was about to say something snarky about elves and then realized that I should be saving that for a video update after we launch next week. :)

Instead, I'll simply say Part II of our reward tiers is up on our website:

I'll be lurking from the office next hour or so, it's starting to get warm in here. No ac past 1PM and it's starting to get pretty warm in here.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

Terrain has played a HUGE role in many great military battles throughout the ages and I think if done right it can help further enhnace the tactical choices in CU.

Having it so that you go up hills slower then down them, so that Snow impacts your movement dependent on depth (if that's in, or even just a simple single-impact with one type of snow would be ok), sand, wet muddy ground, etc.

This can lead to tactical advantages and make strategic choices for building your structures. The top of hills and such would be naturally an advantage over fighting up them.

Weather can play a part, from snow, to hard rainflal that changes the terrain to be muddy, etc.

This could also affect crafters and caravans (if that makes it in), so for example if there are "trade routes" that crafters can ues to send their caravans on, the time it takes to get somewhere can be impacted by the weather. If it's rained and the roads are muddy it can make it slower then if it hadn't for example.

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

Was about to say something snarky about elves and then realized that I should be saving that for a video update after we launch next week. :)Instead, I'll simply say Part II of our reward tiers is up on our website:I'll be lurking from the office next hour or so, it's starting to get warm in here. No ac past 1PM and it's starting to get pretty warm in here.

Woohoo!

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by PerfArt

Was about to say something snarky about elves and then realized that I should be saving that for a video update after we launch next week. :)

Instead, I'll simply say Part II of our reward tiers is up on our website:

I'll be lurking from the office next hour or so, it's starting to get warm in here. No ac past 1PM and it's starting to get pretty warm in here.

Thanks, and have a good weekend with the fam.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

I loved it in old school mmos. Not to mention it works well with thesupply chain motivation system ive mentioned prior.

Supply chains ideas have been around a long time.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"