Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think about #1 : Mining and terraforming?

ArnfiarnunnArnfiarnunn Member UncommonPosts: 61

Most of us tried minecraft, dig deep mines or quarry, fought ennmies in it, made it our own comfy lands. That's a dwarf's life.

Well, I'm not saying I want to see CU as a full terraformable world (it would become disorderly and messy) but having some part of the game terraformable could be nice.

As a side effect it could put the lights on skilled & inventives crafters.

I have two exemples in my mind like:

• being able to create real mines / quarry on predefined spots.
  • being able to terraform some part of the world to put your castle on a higher hill or dig moats around

You may think it won't the game a lot, it's true, but it will make this game deeper and unique. (every servers will be different)

ps: my apologies if my english is a bit rough, I'm used to speak Khazalid. :)

Comments

• OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Arnfiarnunn

Most of us tried minecraft, dig deep mines or quarry, fought ennmies in it, made it our own comfy lands. That's a dwarf's life.

Well, I'm not saying I want to see CU as a full terraformable world (it would become disorderly and messy) but having some part of the game terraformable could be nice.

As a side effect it could put the lights on skilled & inventives crafters.

I have two exemples in my mind like:

• being able to create real mines / quarry on predefined spots.
    • being able to terraform some part of the world to put your castle on a higher hill or dig moats around

You may think it won't the game a lot, it's true, but it will make this game deeper and unique. (every servers will be different)

ps: my apologies if my english is a bit rough, I'm used to speak Khazalid. :)

It would certainly add a unique twist if this could be done. I definitely agree that it seems like something you would want to put restrictions on in this type of world or it could undermine (ha!) a lot of the other elements such as keeps and walls. Going off your idea got me thinking though, we typically think about building a keep above ground, but with this, perhaps you could carve out an underground hold. I love dwarfs so I appreciate your enthusiasm :)

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

I like the idea, but I don’t think this is the game for it.

Don’t forget this is an RVR game and not a sandbox where we can do as we wish.  While I can see limited ground clearing for construction, once you hit bedrock, structures would need to conform to that layout.  We don’t have dynamite yet.  And if you actually go see medieval castles and structure they almost always just build the structures conforming to the existing land /rock as it is far easier and quicker.

Nanulak

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

To some extent i think thats a bit how some of the ressources gathering will work. for most of the metals anyways, i have no clue on how exactly the collecting will work, but here will be mines i'm pretty sure.

Alloys on the other hand will require a forge, but "pure" metal will have to be mined thats probably sure.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

I keep thinking of Minecraft when I read this which is necessarily a bad thing! The only problem I see is, the world is persistent, so we do today will effect the terrain 3 years from now.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• ArnfiarnunnArnfiarnunn Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by grogstorm

I like the idea, but I don’t think this is the game for it.

Don’t forget this is an RVR game and not a sandbox where we can do as we wish.  While I can see limited ground clearing for construction, once you hit bedrock, structures would need to conform to that layout.  We don’t have dynamite yet.  And if you actually go see medieval castles and structure they almost always just build the structures conforming to the existing land /rock as it is far easier and quicker.

In fact, med castle used to be put on a motte, which is erected by men. But yes, it should definitly require time.

The limited area could simply be bound to the location of ore or structure.

Originally posted by RealLifeGobbo

I keep thinking of Minecraft when I read this which is necessarily a bad thing! The only problem I see is, the world is persistent, so we do today will effect the terrain 3 years from now.

This can be easily solved if the mine collapse when empty, (burying people insideimage) the motte can slowly disappear when it's not claimed anymore, etc...