Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grinding is boring right, GW2 and Tera have the solution.

WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Grinding by killing mobs is so "mindless and boring" right, Guild Wars 2 and Tera Online have found the solution.

New and innovative.

GW2:

TERA:

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

confused. how are those good things? its still grind.

How about letting us, the player, just have fun! is that really too hard to understand for developers?

I want to go into the game world and just adventure and do PvE that I DISCOVER from my exploration. I want to go anywhere, not on a leveling path.

I want to do group gameplay, but dynamic in the sense of how Mobs faction attack us. Trinity, but with AI that can give it a spin in between like a player themselves can.

I want player created content. I want to express my art in the game. By having the tools to make dynamic events in the world, and making instanced raid/party dungeons.

stuff like this is FUN. Not GRIND!!!

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

was being sarcastic but I should have been more obvious haha

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

[mod edit]

Actually, I don't mind the dailies at all.  For the most part they take very little time to do, and they award nice experience and a form of currency (laurels).  You can definitely find grindy things to do later in the game to replace the lack of content, but I'm not a chaser of skins so I refuse to play that aspect of the game. 

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Those numbers times 10 and it would be Vanguard. But those are achievements, right? Atleast for GW2. You don't have to do those. Optional grind is optional.

Hater fail.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Daily achievements are optional. Just as many things are optional in GW2.

People really need to get a life - it is just a game after all.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    You could have at least listed more of the GW2 dailies that are about killing.  You left out aquatic slayer, veteran slayer, champion slayer, and kill count.
  • VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

10 years ago I played mmorpg's and I had quests where I had to kill 500-10000 mobs and I was fine with it, having fun, enjoyed the rest of the game mechanics, enjoyed pvp and the grind for awesome gear upgrades i got once a day.

Now people even cry when they have to kill 10 mobs in a game.

Sounds like 10 years later and any games where you have to do anything at all will be too grindy, actually I do believe that all mmorpg's 10 years from now on except the classics will be lobby multiplayer games like facebook games where you just have to click buttons and not move an inch.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Vembumees

10 years ago I played mmorpg's and I had quests where I had to kill 500-10000 mobs and I was fine with it, having fun, enjoyed the rest of the game mechanics, enjoyed pvp and the grind for awesome gear upgrades i got once a day.

Now people even cry when they have to kill 10 mobs in a game.

Sounds like 10 years later and any games where you have to do anything at all will be too grindy, actually I do believe that all mmorpg's 10 years from now on except the classics will be lobby multiplayer games like facebook games where you just have to click buttons and not move an inch.

"Walk 10 miles uphill in four feet of snow..."

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

but...but....  you are filling a PROGRESS BAR, it´s no more Kill X of Y !!

Totally different I say.

Also -- hey hey, no quest hubs!! I always said "boy, the first MMO without quest hubs will have so much less clicking on NPCs,  it will be a mega hit!"

Well, you just don´t see a real innovation 10/10 when it bites you in your shiny metal, GW2 is the climax of innovation. In fact if you look up "innovation" in your dictionary, you will notice a picture of a GW2 box.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    I hate the aquatic slayer one.  HATE!
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I believe that future MMO's will lose the leveling and need to have levels for progressive play or whatever the devs decide. Grinding quests as in  kill 10 of these and collect 20 of those will hopefully become a thing of the past for better content.
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

It is a MMO there alway be a gind...

or better it is a game there always be a grind. What game has no grind? Most FPS games you just go from one area to the other shooting enemies. Once in a while a new element is being introducted (Weapons, cars, enemies or whatever) to spice it up. Still you grind you way though the end.

Strategy games the same. Grand-strategy games (Heart of Iron and such) might be a bit more deverse because you can set your own goals with the country you pick. True I find this to a less extend, but often you just follow paterns and strategies you did before. Just trowing new element into the patern or strategy in an attempt to improve it.

MMO are worse then those, true, but I believe we simply should accept there alway be grind. In EvE you might not have levels and "leveling" is time-based instead. You can not improve the speed by playing. The grinding shifts to ISK instead. Offcourse you canstill scam someone out of there isk. Still the PvP elements in the game gives it a less grindy feeling to it. Who and what you fight is a lot more diverse, but that is because of PvP. Other genres are less grindy in a PvP setting as well and so is a game like GW2.

GW2 in my opinion however reduce the grindy feeling. You do not have to the daily quest if you do not want to. You can just level using events or PvP if you really want to, but you can do other things all the time and not stuck with just doing standard quest. Like I always said, GW2 will not be innovating with new quest, but the way the quests are delivered and I believe I was right. I find heart quest less boring then going form one guest giver hub to the other. Heart guest often give you a list of stuff you can do and from heart to heart can be pretty deverse. Some you even complete while doing a event nearby. 

Just accept there always be a grinding element in a MMO. In sandboxes this often even worse then in themepark games.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    They are going what they can with what they have. In GW2 you have stuff to kill, stuff to collect, stuff to make with what you collect and points of interest to find. Everything else is background reall so they are making that content as interesting as possible.

After playing WoW the last two months and now GW2 for the last two weeks I think GW2 made steps to progress in how a molded MMO plays. Both games are still fun but GW2 is a step forward.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by botrytis
    Daily achievements are optional. Just as many things are optional in GW2.

People really need to get a life - it is just a game after all.

[mod edit]

Daily quests are bad, random daily quests are worse.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Funny thing, I finished the GW2 daily without knowing it. I was just running around, doing the Living story stuff and bam, "DAILY ACHIEVEMENT COMPLETE! BRO FIST!"

Not grindy at all man, you need to redefine what grind is in your vocabulary.

This is not a game.

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

[mod edit]

where is the grind there? salvage stuff, dodge 15 times , do a story dungeon , jumping puzzle....

i thought grind is about killing over and over the same mobs or doing the same dungeon to get something or xp

explain why doing one jumping puzzle, one story dungeon or dodge 15 times are part of grind ?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    OP, TERA is as grindy as every other mmo that has the same questing system. And while GW2 still has the same stuff, its executed in a way that still today i havent felt any grind. I dont have to kill 10 rats to do a quest, instead i can do several activities that contribute to that same quest so at least is more varied and it effectively relieves the heavy grind from other generic mmos. Yes it still have room for lots of improvements, but its by far the less "grindy" themepark to date. Ill take that any day before touching another mmo with horrible ! quest grinders (upcoming "AAA" mmos will have that same horrible quest grind so i might not even bother).

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976
    Originally posted by Zeroxin

Funny thing, I finished the GW2 daily without knowing it. I was just running around, doing the Living story stuff and bam, "DAILY ACHIEVEMENT COMPLETE! BRO FIST!"

Not grindy at all man, you need to redefine what grind is in your vocabulary.

I agree with this. I can't speak for Tera, but in GW2, I think the 'dailies' are pretty seamless for the most part. I mean, I'm presented with 9 counters for various activites: kill, craft, participate in events, etc. Of those, I only need to complete 5 for the daily reward. So, I've generally just done my characters storyline, the 'living story', or wandered off exploring and ended up completing the dailies as a byproduct. 

I'm not saying that other people won't see it as a grind. i mean, it reminds me of asking the question 'what is a sandbox'. Everyone seems to have differing levels of qualifaction for that term and "grind" seems quite similar in its interpretation.

Now, Is it innovative? Probably not. I mean, with a different coat of paint, it cold be compared to the rotating dailies in WoW (except the part about having to pick up the specific quests). But, one thing they accomplished, for me, is to integrate the "dailies" into my normal gameplay which works out pretty well (again, for me).

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Going to a laurel vender one time is a grind as well guys.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Grinding by killing mobs is so "mindless and boring" right, Guild Wars 2 and Tera Online have found the solution.

New and innovative.

GW2:

TERA:

GW2 may have solved the "boring grind" problem, but IMO, it found many, many other ways of being boring.

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

How about letting us, the player, just have fun! is that really too hard to understand for developers?

I want to go into the game world and just adventure and do PvE that I DISCOVER from my exploration. I want to go anywhere, not on a leveling path.

I want to do group gameplay, but dynamic in the sense of how Mobs faction attack us. Trinity, but with AI that can give it a spin in between like a player themselves can.

I want player created content. I want to express my art in the game. By having the tools to make dynamic events in the world, and making instanced raid/party dungeons.

stuff like this is FUN. Not GRIND!!!

Pssst, he was being sarcastic.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    if people feel games like gw2 are grindy in terms of "having" to do the same very repetative tasks to level and get things done they really have not played many MMOs in the past... just go play one of the million free MMOs out like cabal, PWI, shaiya, jade dynasty, lineage 2, RO, ect ect... if you never played a game like lineage 2 when it was first released you really have no clue what a real grind is imho...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    I play GW2 on and off and while I'm not in love with the game there are certainly games that are far more grindy.
  • BananaramaaBananaramaa Member Posts: 34
    GW2 feels like a grind to me. Mostly because although you are seamlessly going about it's not much fun for me and very solo oriented, that's just my taste though I didn't like the childish environment/graphics much either, nor the action combat etc. etc. Pretty much everything about the game feels soulless but well built like so many AAA MMOs IMHO.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Waterlily

was being sarcastic but I should have been more obvious haha

You do know what grinding mob's is right?   Here I will give you an example:

Silkroad:  Kill 3,000 flowers  (0/3).   .02 % exp per kill.  .5 % exp per quest turn in.

You really should know the difference before even trying to be sarcastic.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...