Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: PAX East 2013 Postmortem

2»

Comments

• LevicusLevicus Member Posts: 22

I'm still on the fence about ESO... the non-persistant world thing really bugs me.  I got GW2 for that and I have already paid for GW2.  ESO sounds like it might come out subbed based, and I won't sub for a game where there's loading zones every 10 feet.

But I am definitely hyped for Wildstar!  Everytime I hear a bit of news about it I get just a little more excited.  From the combat system to the housing, and even the obiviously non-seriousness aspect of the game.  I just love it!  

• LevicusLevicus Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by ZeGerman

Neverwinter was probably the game with the second longest line (if you don't count league but its out so i wont) at pax so i find it odd they aren't talking about it in this article.  People should realize thought that ESO could be horrible and still have a chance to be the all awaited WoW killer.  The game had the longest line i've ever seen at pax.  At one point the line wrapped all the way around the booth and then ran the complete width of the floor on top of that.  It was well over a 2 hour wait.  What makes WoW is population and momentum more than anything else, so if ESO gets that kind of population and momentum then it will be very very successful.

All in all the top games at pax were great this year but the other booths were a serious fall off from the last two pax.  Normally one of the best things about pax is all the games you never would have heard off that you see and look awesome of which there really werent any this year.  The indi booth was full of what I call hipster indies and there was very little quality to what they brought.  The vendors at pax this year didnt really show off goods and were more interested in having quarky announcers for people playing random games.

The main thing that was great this year was there was a huge improvement in panel quality over the last pax.

I'm not sure about any other indie titles, but Transistor from Supergiants looks pretty awesome.  If you liked Bastion then I suggest you check it out on Totalbiscuits youtube stream, and I think you might agree.

Now for Neverwinter... honestly I think the line waiting for this game might have been long only because it is a D&D title and the fact that its going to F2P.  Having tried it myself, I definitely can't see it becoming anymore successful then DDO.  Not saying DDO wasn't successful in its own way, just saying it won't take the MMO community by storm.

WoW's population did't start at 10 million.  Honestly, I don't think it fully blew up until nearly the first expansion.  I personally believe WoW's success is due to 50% on leadership and the other 50% due to luck.  Why luck you say?  Its about timing, they just popped out a great game at the right time.  Now the fan base that is there, or were there, always compare games to it.  The gamers still playing WoW are comfortable, and don't want to leave their friends.  So on, and so forth.  

What if Rift had come out then instead of WoW?  (I'm not saying Rift is superior because to me its not.  To me these two games are extremely alike)  I think Rift would be the big giant everyone is using as a comparison basis, and not WoW. 

Anyways... totoally digressed there.  Great article!

• RendRend Member UncommonPosts: 5

FFXIV will most likely do well

Because´all the other MMORPGS mentioned in this article are for PC while FFXVI is for console's aswell.

This means they have a large customer base to sell the game.   

For example their previous mmorpg - FF XI , is still going strong after this many years both on PC aswell as console.

Only trouble is the fail PC launch around 2010 when they launched the game unpolished and half done, which may result into lesser PC player base but PC players arent needed that much if they can dominate console market with a solid game, time will tell.