Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do high level players always get to make the most money?

2»

Comments

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479
    I made most of my money in DDO on a low level mission with a group of other low levels.  I ended up getting an ioun stone that I sold for 2.6 million.  Usually high levels in this game like most others give the better stuff at the higher levels, but very, very rarely can you get some random item that is worth a ton.  I think since then they have higher level quests to get this ioun stone more reliably, so probably cannot duplicate what happened to me.

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479
    When I was playing EQ I made most of my money in that game by being a jewelry crafter.  I probably made like 75 K in plat doing that.  The other 25 K I made from adventuring.  I gave away like 100 K plat before I left the game for more exciting games.  The combat pacing in that game was slow, compared to nowadays where the action is faster paced.

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by gessekai332

Why is it that in all most western mmorpgs only high level players get to fight monsters that drop loot that are actually worth anything? All it does is alienate new players and makes it super hard for them to actually break into the game. In some eastern mmorpgs that i have played that were really successful, even noobs could make some money to get by because earlier level monsters would drop crafting materials or items that everyone in the game could use, including high level players. Sure the best armor and gear would potentially still only drop of off high levels bosses, but you could allow low level players to participate in the economy too by allowing them giving them a niche in the market only they can fill.

They don't...    you are just playing games that do.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

My lvl 2 in gw2 is my money maker

It sits in the action house and roughly makes me 150g a week for about 10 mins of play time

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by zimboy69

My lvl 2 in gw2 is my money maker

It sits in the action house and roughly makes me 150g a week for about 10 mins of play time

I pull around 240 mil per month in PI goods in EVE from my planets with around 5-10 min of interaction per week (more like 5 but I say 10 because at the end I have to spend 20 min getting it out of the wormhole and on the market but meh, details). While nowhere near as profitable you could still pull 10-20 mil from high sec planets if you set them up right.

As I said most MMOs reward sheeps that grind while a chosen few reward people who think outside the box they're given. One of the main reasons I am looking towards Archeage and maybe Dragon's Prophet is they seem to be games that allow out of the box thinking.

• OUT51D3ROUT51D3R Member UncommonPosts: 8

Back in vanilla WoW, when the forums were full of complaints on how expensive mounts were(100g at level 60), I had made 650g on my very first character by level 40.  All I had to do is find something that was available low/mid level that was in demand for raiders.  Gromsblood was farmable as early as level 30, and raiders would buy it from me for 15g/stack just as fast as I could farm it.  I did the same thing in Age of Conan, farming up 125g(by crafting evasion gems) well before level cap when people were complaining that 3g was too expensive for a mount at level cap.  Last time I played GW2, mid level mats were selling for more than high level mats, so it could be done there too.

People don't put enough analysis into this stuff.  They expect money to just land in their lap.  In reality, mmo economics is another form of pvp.  There's winners and losers.  Mostly losers.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

I like OP's idea.

it "waste" of game contents when low level thing don't have any value in high level.

It make player forcus in only high level content and force them to fast level , break through low lv contents.

Why 10 gold ores to make high level sword and not 10 gold ore + 20 silver ore + 100 copper ore

Developer shouldn't  waste they game contents.

I think it no good if they can't recycle low level contents ,

because it will make most of contents become trash.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by iixviiiix

I like OP's idea.

it "waste" of game contents when low level thing don't have any value in high level.

It make player forcus in only high level content and force them to fast level , break through low lv contents.

Why 10 gold ores to make high level sword and not 10 gold ore + 20 silver ore + 100 copper ore

Developer shouldn't  waste they game contents.

I think it no good if they can't recycle low level contents ,

because it will make most of contents become trash.

becaue it doesnt make sense. when you think higher level, you think stronger. when crafting you think stronger material. not mixture of strong material with weak shit only squires use.

why do developers have to force higher level players to buy shit from lower level players? the current system is fine the way it is. in almost all games, the lower level players can level up just fine and fulfill their needs for their level easily through the course of playing the game. there is no need to make some new concept or system so that low lvls can become super rich. cause 1. its not necessary and 2. it doesnt make any fucking sense. only in games with retarded inflation does that fail to hold true.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by gessekai332
    ..but you could allow low level players to participate in the economy too by allowing them giving them a niche in the market only they can fill.
    The only way I can imagine this happening is via immersion-destroying mechanics such as mobs that don't drop loot if you're higher than a certain level, ensuring that only low-level characters can loot them.

Of course, even if you did introduce such a mechanic, the biggest money-makers would be the high-level players playing their well-twinked lowbie alts.

That's why high level players always get to make the most money. Because they can do anything the low level players can - and more.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Quizzical

The reason for high-level players to make the most money in a level-based game is that if a lower level area offered more money, then high level players would farm it endlessly and ignore the high level content.

You could (and apparently do!) argue that lower level players should be able to get some stuff that is useful at endgame rather than nothing.  But it will break a lot of things if it's just as good as what level cap players can get in max level content--especially since max level players will probably be able to farm it better than lower level players.

The real solution is to make games less dependent on loot, but that's a whole different issue.

This---^

Malcanis had written something a few years ago that I found interesting enough to bring up in game design discussions at work to test it out, and so far it has consistently proven to be true:

Whenever a change is proposed on behalf of 'new players', that change is always to the overwhelming advantage of richer, older players.

That quote applies rather well here.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Sometimes the appropriate question is not "Why do high level players make more than low level players?", but rather, "Why do high level players make 100 times as much as low level players?"  There are sound reasons why high level players should make (and need!) more money than low level players, but not such a big chasm as we see in some games.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

They get to make the most money because they have progressed to the end of the game.  This generally makes them the most powerful.  In turn, it allows them to do the most profitable things.  It makes sense, it's just how the world works.

Do you think you should make as much as a doctor by working at a department store as a CSA?  No, you shouldn't.  

There are some games that make low end materials useless in the end.  They are very level dependant systems that work in tiers most often.  But, there are also games out there, albiet very few, that really focus on allowing all play styles to advance as well as making most materials available as quickly as possible for newer players.  These games are often sandbox games and in general, niche sandbox games aren't very well liked to begin with. 

Their systems however, if done properly, allow for far stronger player economies than typical themeparks.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

IN the work industry ,who makes the most money,the labourer or the Boss?It only makes sense that yo uwould become better off instead of poor,does it not?I mean you are suppose to be MORE experienced,have more skills,why would that equate to being less efficient?

I can tell you this ,that if a game makes a really in depth system,ANYONE can make money.

A perfect example i will use from FFXI.

Farming in FFXI is slow and tedious and some crafts are slow and tedious.This allows ANY player the opportunity to cash in on other players laziness.

A perfect example.You can on the very first day begin making Sheep Leather with no skill what so ever.You don't even have to really farm anything,you can buy it,fter attaining some gil from books and selling some crystals.

Sheep leather can sell from 15k to 40k and when i started back in the game ,it was at 60k a stack of 12.In laments terms that is very good gil [currency].Sell 3 stacks and you have maybe 100k gil,that is a lot for even a level 30-40.

I see all these games that THINK you need to put limits on players to make the economy effective...WRONG and FFXI has proven it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Originally posted by iixviiiix

becaue it doesnt make sense. when you think higher level, you think stronger. when crafting you think stronger material. not mixture of strong material with weak shit only squires use.

why do developers have to force higher level players to buy shit from lower level players? the current system is fine the way it is. in almost all games, the lower level players can level up just fine and fulfill their needs for their level easily through the course of playing the game. there is no need to make some new concept or system so that low lvls can become super rich. cause 1. its not necessary and 2. it doesnt make any fucking sense. only in games with retarded inflation does that fail to hold true.

May my example wrong.

What i mean like reverse pyramid.

When you in bottom , you need little , it expansion more when you climb to top.

Simple like how "money/gold" work . When you just start , you only need little , but when you go high , you need to use alot of them.

And not like force higher lvl to buy from lower level.

What i mean about things that everyone can find ,

You don't forced to buy them , you can find them by yourself.

But when you at high lvl , you will need more of them.

And that's time when you chose to buy it from other or not,

So everyone can join.

<p gt-baf-word-clickable"="">It like created another "gold" type collateral with normal gold type

So even gold sink , there are still other system hold economic back

And what make you think that low lvls player can't become super rich ?

I saw many low lvl (because they don't like to grind lol) rise to top through they sell/buy skill.

You are right about current system are fine.

But it not finest

Isn't it good thing to find better way to solve problem.

If we all think everything's fine then human still live in cave.

Well , i don't say that what i write is right things in first place.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Are there even western MMOs ? I cant remember any. Fantasy of all kinds, yes, sci-fi of all kinds, yes, but western ? Not. Really.

Originally posted by Adamantine
    Are there even western MMOs ? I cant remember any. Fantasy of all kinds, yes, sci-fi of all kinds, yes, but western ? Not. Really.
    Um, in this context "western" means made in the west, i.e. not Asian. It doesn't mean wild west, six shooters, cattle rustlin', etc.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Um, in this context "western" means made in the west, i.e. not Asian. It doesn't mean wild west, six shooters, cattle rustlin', etc.

Since you apparently missed the point of my post: I was of course joking.

Since you apparently missed the point of my post: I was of course joking.

My apologies, I did indeed miss that. Jokes can sometimes be missed on the internet due to the absence of any tone or inflection - it's especially possible for this to happen when the joke isn't actually funny.