Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you prefer combat results in text form, or flying numbers

ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

In EQ1, combat results were displayed in a text window. "Orc hits you for 20 pts of damage." During combat in Vanguard, numbers flashed across the screen in random locations and colors. 23, 26, 28, 31, 52. I never figured out which of those numbers were from me, my party, or the mobs.

So, I never really felt connected to the combat in Vanguard.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i dont like either of those choices so i didnt vote.  most games nowadays have scrolling battle text and a combat log.  i prefer scrolling battle text.
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Scrolling battle text would be option 1.

In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• EverwestEverwest Member Posts: 75
    Depends.  I prefer flying numbers if the pace is slow and you don't have a thousand auto-attacks per second.  Otherwise I almost don't care about the numbers at all.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Both, I like not having to look away from the fight to figure out what is going on, however I do like having a log to double check.  
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Immersive/detailed text can be fun. I still enjoy it in many roguelikes/VN's, it stimulates the imagination as to how a fight is playing out I guess.
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Both, I like not having to look away from the fight to figure out what is going on, however I do like having a log to double check.  

^ this. Bad poll is bad.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Why not both? Combat log and floating battle text.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I prefer numbers only, but you worded the question "at random locations" which screws the whole thing up, like you're trying to poison the poll for the result you prefer. Numbers appearing at the proper place on the screen for me. I play GW2 which means I don't have time to look down and read a scrolling wall of text when fighting. I need to have my data right there in front of me. 

Still voting the second option, even with the poison pill.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Both. Missing that option to vote for.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Text in window personaly, those floating numbers on screen above a mob/creature truly ruins immersion for me. But that's only for MMORPG's for me.

Besides that after some time I already know what damage I give and what damage is given, in some occasions like PVP I like to read the data from a texted window, because it lets me backtrack on what I or the opponent has done.

But...

I do want them both mainly because I am a gamer and knowing this aint a genre just for me, but it has too be optional so I personaly could turn off the on screen flying numbers.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by birdycephon

Agreed.  This is one of those things that doesn't need to be exclusive to each other.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

For me? The only result I want is one of us walking away, preferably me :) I don't care about the numbers enough, I guess.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

When it looks arcadish, and everything is inflated to where you are hitting for thousands of damage, it looks kind of cartoony and silly....along with huge weapons that often go along with this.

I guess it is along the lines of everyone want to be THE hero, and if you are the hero, you are going to be doing 4-5 digit damage numbers maybe.

I find these things distracting, kills immersion for me (I am sure it helps some though, that like it), and the dislike sours me on the game usually...If it is too over the top.

• madnosmadnos Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Agree ^

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Flying numbers on top of mobs' head.

I don't want to look away to see combat numbers. This is more important for more actiony combat.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

If I had to choose between scrolling text above the enemy and text in a combat log I'd choose combat log for the simple reason that you can verify where things went good or wrong.

Scrolling combat text is cool during combat, but the log keeps track of what's happening.

But I'd prefer have them both.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    It's a shame you had to add the bias to the second option. Floating numbers would have been my choice.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Neither, I find they both break immersion. I'd much rather see the damage portraid on your avatar but I guess that's too much to ask for.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    Neither, I find they both break immersion. I'd much rather see the damage portraid on your avatar but I guess that's too much to ask for.

Yes, it is. There are two problems.

1) Damage portrayed means art assets .. and those are expensive to make. So you cannot have many levels .. may be 3 set of textures .. ok, hurt, almost death .. certainly not enough to convey finer differences.

2) People like numbers. Numbers communicate progress much better. Last night i was doing damage of 100, and tonight i am doing 200 ... i am much more powerful.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by birdycephon

Because the OP is asking for which people like better between the two. Not that eather is bad.

for sake of starting a discussion..

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Well less 'random locations' but do enjoy seeing it floating above the head, depending on the game though. Its rewarding to see those numbers, but it might just be math nerdy me enjoying such a thing. Overall its something that can easily be turned on and off I feel.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

As a sign on your character's back?  I kid! I kid! :)

Some do that in the form of an encroaching red border on the screen, but I haven't seen many other steps forward in that regard. Wolfenstein 3D did damage to the face in the portrait. I think there was an MMO that did it too but I'm probably confusing that with some SRPG I played.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Well for the record, I would like both, too; provided I can turn either one of them off. More specifically, the one that results in dozens of meaningless numbers flashing all over my screen at the same time; since I have no idea which numbers are mine, my party's, or the mob's.

That would be really cool, too.