Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, ganking is out?? Just asking?

Ganking is out or not?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Weird poll as it doesn't address the question but:

You can in Cyrodill I imagine.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Didnt vote..

If you are a ganker...you are a wanker

So what's left in the choices again?

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    You can quest and gank in Cyrodil.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I'm curious about this as well. People keep asserting different things.  Some say certain zones are pvp all the time.  Some have said you can switch instance layers and only pve.  Is there an official posting someplace?

There are 3 PvE continetnts, one for each faction, the middle continent named Cyrodil is PvP, its huge and its open and its Faction vs faction vs faction...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I'm curious about this as well. People keep asserting different things.  Some say certain zones are pvp all the time.  Some have said you can switch instance layers and only pve.  Is there an official posting someplace?

There are 3 PvE continetnts, one for each faction, the middle continent named Cyrodil is PvP, its huge and its open and its Faction vs faction vs faction...

Unless there's been a major cataclysm in Tamriel and the lands have separated, it all happens in one continent image

But yeah, 3 separate PvE zones around one PvP zone. Cyrodill will also have some PvE content. So people who enjoy the danger of questing in a PvP zone will have that...and yeah, there will be gankers there.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Tired of ganking? Type, "LF PVP Guild" in chat. Works wonders.
  • SentnlSentnl Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Kinchyle

Didnt vote..

Looks like we have a victim.

Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you :3

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    We can see what type of crowd is attracted to the game, the FOTM gank bitch. Sad to see EOS go the way of SWOTR, but they're attracting poison that will kill a game in no time. 
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    We can see what type of crowd is attracted to the game, the FOTM gank bitch. Sad to see EOS go the way of SWOTR, but they're attracting poison that will kill a game in no time. 

You thought FOTM was so clever you had to post it twice in 2 threads?

It's a PvP game. Deal with it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    i hope they have stealth in this game so i can 1-hit kill nubs while they are handing in their quests to npcs.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    i hope they have stealth in this game so i can 1-hit kill nubs while they are handing in their quests to npcs.

You cant coz they wont be in the pvp zone, PvP zone/pve quest is softcoded endgame, you can go there but would be useless unless you like spanking.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Sentnl

Didnt vote..

Ganking is for PvP'ers who can't deal with a challenge, want to autowin, and in some cases want to spoil someone elses game experience by camping etc.

People who do this kind of thing in real life usually end up in prison - so it follows that if a games company suggests an attempt at a consequences system, these types of players whine endlessly on forums about it.

They also log off the moment the tables are turned on them - they cannot take their own medicine for a second. The number of players I have encontered in 12 years of MMOs who are exceptions to this rule are vanishingly small.

We have a word in RL for them too - 'cowards'.

To follow your logic, and that of social services the world wide, bullies are bullied first before they 'pass it on'...

...so .... where did the 'bad man' touch YOU, victim? 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Depends what you call ganking I suppose, (higher level vs lowbies, 10 on 1, attacking someone who is otherwise engaged in a NPC, etc.), one man's gank is another man's PVP game.

I'm a carebear who plays on PVP servers/games frequently, (as long as they permit me some degree of risk mitigation, such as EVE) because it makes the PVE more challenging, and there's just sometimes when you want to fight other players in an open world area rather than a scripted battleground scenario.

I'm not looking for fair combat, that makes PVP more of a sport and less like a war, I figure if someone manages to gank me, I've done something wrong and better figure out a way to outsmart or out fight my opponent next time.

Doesn't mean I enjoy getting killed when there's no chance, and I don't go out of my way to grief other players who have no chance of winning (just no entertainment in it for me), but I have certainly rolled on people if they got in the way of my group or turn out to be guild enemies.

From what I've read so far, PVP will be restricted to one zone, so if I'm in that area I'll expect to get flattened by someone unless I take the proper steps to avoid it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

I'm a bit divided on this. On one hand the risk of getting jumped and killed while questing can be pretty entertaining and have you always looking over your shoulder. On the otherhand I've played too many games where gankers are spineless cowards who exclusively target lowbies and complain on why they can kill them in their starting area. These are the same types that scurry away whenever a few people their level(not higher level, but the gankers level) because they might lose. I think these are people who can't handle losing, ever, so they play in such a way they're guaranteed to win. I find these people to be extremely common in mmos. And yes I can find a guild easily enough to counter that, but what is the point of even allowing someone to travel to say, Solestiem, and the only reason they're there is because they're level 50 and it is a level 10-15 area(just making up an example obviously) so they know no one there can stand a chance against them.

I honestly just think make there be enticing incentives to bring your character to Cyridill before max level, with PvE rewards as well. That way PvE players can either level in peace or add risk for a more enticing reward, gankers can hunt down people who can't possibly fight back to their hearts content in that providence, and PvPers can just kill everyone. The whole thing worked well in DAoC, if done right it should be able to be done well here.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    No ganking. Cyrodiil elevates all players to an artificial max level, so even a level 10 can be competetive. Ganking isn't fun gameplay.
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by Sentnl

Didnt vote..

Ganking is for PvP'ers who can't deal with a challenge, want to autowin, and in some cases want to spoil someone elses game experience by camping etc.

People who do this kind of thing in real life usually end up in prison - so it follows that if a games company suggests an attempt at a consequences system, these types of players whine endlessly on forums about it.

They also log off the moment the tables are turned on them - they cannot take their own medicine for a second. The number of players I have encontered in 12 years of MMOs who are exceptions to this rule are vanishingly small.

We have a word in RL for them too - 'cowards'.

To follow your logic, and that of social services the world wide, bullies are bullied first before they 'pass it on'...

...so .... where did the 'bad man' touch YOU, victim? 

THIS.

There is a small minority of players that enjoy OWPvP for what it is supposed to be - The freedom to fight who and where you want, if someone gangs up on you, you go and get some mates and hunt them down. The thrill and sense of danger of not knowing if there will be someone around the next corner trying to kill you. Thats what OWPvP used to be, and should be about. 

95% of OWPvP supporters however, are Gankers who just want to be able to 1 hit a noob because they think its fun to ruin someone elses game, and as soon as they are presented with a fair fight they run away like the little bitches they are. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Kendane

On the otherhand I've played too many games where gankers are spineless cowards who exclusively target lowbies and complain on why they can kill them in their starting area.

Yeah I have to say that though I don't care if I'm ganked and though I have met some gankers who, when killed, took it in stride, I have come upon this lot.

They cry and cry and start spouting off all sorts of nonsense.

My recent experience with a ganker was about a month ago in tera. I was leveling my pvp server lancer when suddenly a "red" warrior starting circling around me, jumping over me (not attacking), etc. I believe he thought that I was going to get nervous and run. So I stopped and waited for his little dance to cease. He then dove in and attacked me.

After I killed him he never came back to that area. Having said that, and to his credit,  he didn't cry but his actions were such that he was really getting off on the "circling of his prey".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by wordiz

Some of us actually enjoy the lone wolf approach to playing a video game and enjoy being able to afk and admire the beauty of your surroundings.  Or wander off the beaten path an d explore, or try our hand at killing a Mob more powerful then us which was designed for more then 1 person.  Some of us just enjoy the anti social aspect and freedom of being by ourselves.

None of those things are easy to do when grouping with a PvP guild and none of those things are possible when your having to look over your back for gankers, theres a reason why PvE and PvP is split so it offers something for any type of gamer and forcing your will on someone is not good game design.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• elohssaelohssa Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by wordiz

Don't need a pvp guild, just a good one.

I don't mind being ganked, its camped by somone way higher than you thats going too far.  It happened to me once in WoW.  I called my guild over, and we camped him for like 2 hours.  Finally, he had to res at the Graveyard and my another guildy was waiting for him there as well.  And he got camped some more, lol.  He had to just log off.  Needless to say no one got camped in our guild again.

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

I think it all comes down to your version of the word 'gank'. To be honest i love open world pvp. I had fun with it in wow, played and loved it in conan, and i truely did love rifting in aion. The problem is, there is a large amount of people who will get upset quickly at the smallest thing. I should probably note my version of open world pvp does not consist of my deffinition of 'ganking'.

To me a ganker is somone who is either A) much higher level than you B) Campers who select areas to kill people that are important to your progression in the game. AKA elite areas, harder world bosses or quest npcs ETC.. or C) A group of people that otherwise couldent handle a real pvp fight if their real life actualy depended on it. or of course all of the above.

I can tell you this, gankers are what ruin the fun in OWPVP games atleast for me. Like in aion for example, it would piss me off to no end when i would go into eltnen on my level 33 to go kill some people my level just to get squshed by a 50 wearing full 50e when i went threw the portal. Or in conan, walking threw the earlier zones in the game (25+) and being level 42ish, figting a elite mob just to have a level 80 TOS come up and 1 shot me. There is no sport in it, no fun at all. One thing that IS QUITE funny however is when i took my level 40 temp into eltnen and found that 50, or muliple 50s standing around and handed them their own rear. How did i do that? skill, patience and actualy fighting against chalanges, which made me better.

I did mention the sport in Open world pvp. Yes, it can be a whole lot of fun, even for more pve oriented people. As for myself, when i would rift in aion or run around in the other games i played, i liked to twink. However i dont mean this in a sence that i wanted the advantage. In Aion i would run into the other side, at 40 wearing full 40e, full up on consumeables yes, but i wouldent go into the level 25, or even level 35 areas. I would stick to the higher level areas of the zones, and in some cases go to heiron and try my luck there. The gear advantage to me was fun, but i used it as a tool to go after what others would deem impossibble. I remember one time i tore apart a level 50 sorc wearing full mirigent armor, only for him to call his friend to come after me, a 50 ranger, who in turn, also died. Now it was no easy fight by any strech of the immagination but i did win, if i remember correctly i even got 1 shot by a mob near by because i was that low on health and all my cooldowns were popped. THIS to me, is fun.

The point is, with the right people, Open world pvp is amazing. The problem is, it also invites gankers. Which in my experiance, theres 100s of gankers to every 1 decent pvper who wants a challange or the thrill of danger threw the games. Because of this, im kinda happy that games like TESO are seperating  pve and pvp.

All this aside, my main problem when it comes to pvp in modern mmos, WHY THE HELL CANT WE HAVE DUELING!!! It makes no damn sence, its a simple code, and it gives those players standing around a means to practice pvp againt a variety of play styles, classes, and level and gear differences, and to top it off a means to settle arguments for those of us who also RP in these games. I'm sorry devs, "We want to keep all pvp in the pvp zone" is not a good excuse.. Give us dueling!!

For the record...

"Ganking" as the term is normally used describes the practice of seeking PvP fights when the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor. It is a chickenshit form of griefing.

A stealther camping a quest hub to kill those 40 levels below him is ganking. Only basement-dwelling 13 year old trogoldytes do that image

Having said that, not all inbalanced fights are "ganking." If you're a 50 runnig solo in a PvP area you're taking a risk. If you run into a group of 6 and they kill you...that's just PvP.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED