Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need your help

2»

Comments

• EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251

How would I start doing a replacement on the HDD?

And I checked the files on SSD, the only Steam related file is the installation I'm trying to run. For some reason it's still trying to uninstall/install it from my HDD which is unplug completely.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I didn't read every post,but have you checked something simple like the plugs that go into the back of your HD?There is also a possibility one of the power connector plugs are shorting out.I have had all these problems and they stumped me for awhile because i was looking at actual hardware or software,not the simple.

Another problem i have had is corrupt window files.Only way out was a clean install as nothing else seem to work.usually a tech guy at a shop has programs that do diagnostic checks.Only problem there is you have to trust them to not make crap up ,just to get your money.

I have had even recently a sort of similar problem,woke up and my screen was posting an error that does not happen often at all.If i remeber it was a new Nvidia driver that caused the problem and i have since updated and no more problems.

I would give a try with Trend Micro housecall online virus check.Soemtimes a virus can be well hidden,but that online virus check has always been the best for me.It is only my opinion but Trend seems to be on top of the latest and updates almsot immediately.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I didn't read every post,but have you checked something simple like the plugs that go into the back of your HD?There is also a possibility one of the power connector plugs are shorting out.I have had all these problems and they stumped me for awhile because i was looking at actual hardware or software,not the simple.

Actually, that is a good idea.  Unplug the hard drive (which you already did) and plug it back in.  Use a different SATA power connector from before and a different SATA port on the motherboard, and try to use a different SATA cable if you have one available.  If not, then just switch the SATA cables from the optical drive and hard drive.  There's no sense in sending the hard drive back if the problem was a SATA cable, a SATA port on the motherboard, or a SATA power connector.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    Originally posted by EvilMix

oh, and when the PC was first built I was having problems with the 1tb HDD, that was my main one and it had windows and stuff on it, but it would randomly freeze and run REALLY slow as well. Maybe it's the HDD that's causing the freezing? I really hope it's not my SSD or processor, because that's alot of $$ I won't have until next Christmas.

edit: and now that I'm looking at it, the HDD has Steam on it, the program that's making my PC crash as of late.

edit#2: going to try running steam one last time, if that crashes my PC im going to erase steam off of the HDD and put it on my SSD and see if that works.

Edit: NM

sounds more like Steam was just a symptom of a far more serious problem with his PC in general,  erasing steam won't solve his problems, same as painting over the spots doesnt get rid of measlesimage

as its a new build i'd look at how well, or not the components are working together,  especially the CPU and Ram, using prime 95 will remove those 2 as a possibility at least if it passes the test, after that i'd look a bit closer at the mobo etc, right chipset drivers etc installed, directx up to date, not a generic windows 8 fault that you can't do sod all about, or even a problem with the SSD itself, which is a distinct possibility given that its a refurbished one, as in, second hand at least. the only way to identify if thats the problem though is to have an OS on the HDD..image