Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for something off the wall.

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I've played em all. Just quit wow again for the 20th time. I hit 90 and started my dailies and I was like.. WTF.. /unsub... I was having fun up until then. I just don't feel immersed in these games like I used to be, because its not about adventure or exploring anymore. It's just math and numbers, and doing a certain amount of quests etc.

So, I'm trying to find something unique, something different, maybe a chance of scenery from fantasy, something that isn't going to eat up my soul with things like dailies and such. I want to explore, I want to make friends, and just make the game an adventure. Anything that's different or unique.. please post it. I'm big on PVP, but its not a game breaker if it doesn't have it.. if its free its even better, as long as I can play it and not be broken due to the cash shop. I have no other criteria, just looking for those diamonds in the rough, or an obscure title that has a dedicated smaller playerbase because of it being different...

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

Firefall - MMO 3rd person shooter, sandboxy, gather resources and craft parts for your frame (class), roam around the world and engage in dynamic events while fighting the PVE enemy (chosen) who are taking over outposts and stuff. PVP is instanced only at the moment, will eventually have some open world. Just released a huge milestone update with a ton of new content and upgrades. Technically in beta, though a founders pack garaunteed access. Well worth $20, will be free to play.

EVE - will be said 100 times, not point in elaborating.

Planetside 2 - If you like PVP, here you go. Though you won't get much more than that. I do feel like the progression is enough for MMO fans.

*** These suggestions are for MMOs that don't fit the normal mold of get to max level, run raids to get epics, do dailies until expansion. Not necessarily obscure or off the wall.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
    No other suggestions?

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by raystantz

I've played em all. Just quit wow again for the 20th time. I hit 90 and started my dailies and I was like.. WTF.. /unsub... I was having fun up until then. I just don't feel immersed in these games like I used to be, because its not about adventure or exploring anymore. It's just math and numbers, and doing a certain amount of quests etc.

So, I'm trying to find something unique, something different, maybe a chance of scenery from fantasy, something that isn't going to eat up my soul with things like dailies and such. I want to explore, I want to make friends, and just make the game an adventure. Anything that's different or unique.. please post it. I'm big on PVP, but its not a game breaker if it doesn't have it.. if its free its even better, as long as I can play it and not be broken due to the cash shop. I have no other criteria, just looking for those diamonds in the rough, or an obscure title that has a dedicated smaller playerbase because of it being different...

If you can handle the graphics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXZHCmXU12M

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    No other suggestions?

Fallen Earth, it's free to play, have played it in CB, OB and a year and a half from release. Havn't played since 2012 march So I am unaware of changes/patches or how the game is currently. But still would suggest this gem. for those looking for something different. Atleast when I payed a hugh open world, nice pvp zones that get's you flagged and while everything ingame can be crafted I "knew" plenty of people who never touched crafting. It's pretty much a open world themepark with slightly some sandbox-like feature's. It's a indie game so keep your expectations realistic.

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395
    i could be wrong but i beleive fallen earth was sold and destroyed by whatever company took over
  • MertzaSkertzMertzaSkertz Member UncommonPosts: 161
    I highly recommend the secret world. Currently the game is only B2P and will give you that change of scenary and adventure that you are looking for. I have not gotten very far myself, however the game is full of the hardest puzzles you will ever find in a game. This makes the questing very enjoyable and different from your kill x and gather y, even though those still exist to some extent.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by MertzaSkertz
    I highly recommend the secret world. Currently the game is only B2P and will give you that change of scenary and adventure that you are looking for. I have not gotten very far myself, however the game is full of the hardest puzzles you will ever find in a game. This makes the questing very enjoyable and different from your kill x and gather y, even though those still exist to some extent.

Yeah but TSW is bascally just another wow clone, it plays pretty much like it, which is not what the op is looking for.

If you liked diablo II, give path of exile a try its f2p, and is a far better game than diablo 3 will ever be. The passive skill system has hundreds of skills so you can build your char how you want really. Its a prettyfun game and unlike most mmo's it actually has a bit of challenge to it.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Try Chiverly: Medevil warfare. Amazing game, I tryed all the mmo's on the market and was burt out.

This game is no mmo but the most fun I have had in years playing a game.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I'm waiting on Wildstar, labeled themepark and/or sandbox. Yes I know it looks like WoW, perhaps to cartoony, but there are a lot of different features that make it off the wall. MMORPG.com features link.

Housing looks fun. I know it's not a reason to play a game, but I like the thought of my own space that I can work towards instead of just grinding for better gear.

This type of discussion comes up almost everyday. I hope some day something comes out that will keep it from being started at all! No offense! 

Good luck on your journey, let us know if you find anything! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• potacopotaco Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Originally posted by MertzaSkertz

Yeah but TSW is bascally just another wow clone, it plays pretty much like it, which is not what the op is looking for.

If you liked diablo II, give path of exile a try its f2p, and is a far better game than diablo 3 will ever be. The passive skill system has hundreds of skills so you can build your char how you want really. Its a prettyfun game and unlike most mmo's it actually has a bit of challenge to it.

TSW is a WoW clone? That's the first I've seen anyone write that... The character progression, "questing", environment, and combat are all different. Sure you can end up running the same zones over and over to try to improve your gear and skills, but most MMOs are like that (even games like D3 or PoE).

If you're focused on powerleveling as quickly as possible and can't be bothered trying to figure out the investigation missions on your own (instead choosing to look up the solutions), then it might not be the game for you... but it's still a nice change of pace from your "standard" WoW-like MMOs.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Try EVE online. Very social MMO and about as far from WoW as you can get.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    No other suggestions?

As others have said:

The Secret World, Eve...

I'll also suggest Ryzom.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    No other suggestions?

Fallen Earth, it's free to play, have played it in CB, OB and a year and a half from release. Havn't played since 2012 march So I am unaware of changes/patches or how the game is currently. But still would suggest this gem. for those looking for something different. Atleast when I payed a hugh open world, nice pvp zones that get's you flagged and while everything ingame can be crafted I "knew" plenty of people who never touched crafting. It's pretty much a open world themepark with slightly some sandbox-like feature's. It's a indie game so keep your expectations realistic.

FE is a hard game to pinpoint...While your playing you think "this is a cool game with a great world", but then shortly thereafter you aren't playing anymore......

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Try Salem.

If not, at least research it. I dont play it anymore but its off the wall, interesting mechanics, PvP, permadeath, extensive crafting system/economy etc. You can own your own land, among many other things. You may like it, dunno. Good luck!

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Darkfall unholy wars ... Have fun :)
  • zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    perhaps try Defiance in a few days, idk.