Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny: Brave New World GDC Video Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bungie has just finished its GDC presentation about Destiny, its upcoming MMOFPS. The video features concept art used in character development and is awesomely awesome. Enjoy this two minute feast of eye candy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

I always hoped Bungie would do a Halo-MMO, This seems to be it. but without the Halo.

im intrigued by it, i Hope they can make it more meaningfull then just a largescale FPS like PS2 is

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This game is going to be huge. I just hope its buy to play with no montly fee and on all platforms with everybody playing together. About damn time somebody make a real FPSMMO becaue games like Planetside 2 and Defiance are complete jokes.

• reddog000reddog000 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    All my friends know me as the ANTI-FPS gamer.  But the artwork,animation, and imagination of this game is stunning to say the least.  About time for you gamers who like FPS's.

-------------------------------------------
    Control is an illusion!

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Even devs are not calling it a MMO. But a shared world third person shooter. So in scope my guess is that it will be like Global Agenda and not like Defiance or PS2. For a better MMOFPS or TPS experince i will go with PS2 and Defiance.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Even devs are not calling it a MMO. But a shared world third person shooter. So in scope my guess is that it will be like Global Agenda and not like Defiance or PS2. For a better MMOFPS or TPS experince i will go with PS2 and Defiance.

The only reseaon they arent putting the mmo name out is because the genre has a bad reputation in the gaming community especially by console gamers.  So instead they just say shared persistant world which pretty much means mmo using different words. Hell thats the definition of mmo if you look it up on wikipedia.

• deviltheorydeviltheory Member Posts: 33
    I really wish we knew more about the gameplay.  Love the artstyle and all, but so far all I know about the game is it has pretty sunsets.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by tkreep

The only reseaon they arent putting the mmo name out is because the genre has a bad reputation in the gaming community especially by console gamers.  So instead they just say shared persistant world which pretty much means mmo using different words. Hell thats the definition of mmo if you look it up on wikipedia.

I really doubt that their decision to call it a shared world instead of MMO is because the word MMO has bad reputation with console gamers. I play consoles a lot and i never heard or experinced this bad rep you are talking about. Maybe  they are going for the same scale as rest of the console shooters and don't want to make a MMO so avoiding the term all together.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I really doubt that their decision to call it a shared world instead of MMO is because the word MMO has bad reputation with console gamers. I play consoles a lot and i never heard or experinced this bad rep you are talking about. Maybe  they are going for the same scale as rest of the console shooters and don't want to make a MMO so avoiding the term all together.

I read peoples comments on gametrailers and there are a lot who doesnt like mmos and friends i know in real life and its because of the gameplay the average mmo has is the reason why they dont like it for instance my friend who is a console gamer said he cant stand how boring mmo combat looks and he hates the camera angles and such.  And you have to admit the genre does have a bad rep because of all the crappy generic clones that have been coming for the past 10 years.

• CobraLord1CobraLord1 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    besides Elder Scrolls online this is gonna be my Homeworld i hope this comes out great i love sci fi and shooters when are they going to announce the PS4? ANYONE? I want to get Destiny on the ps4, i heard we will be playing with ps3 players as well..that kool..
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Let the hype begin, but for anyone who want to be real about this game its most likely not gonna be anything special. This is pretty much the same thing as Defiance but from a company with zero mmo expirence. Hope for the best but expect the worse like always i will personally wait for "REAL" reviews to come up for the game befor buying it i learned my lesson from swtor.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by xeniar

I always hoped Bungie would do a Halo-MMO, This seems to be it. but without the Halo.

im intrigued by it, i Hope they can make it more meaningfull then just a largescale FPS like PS2 is

i hope so too although im already sold with the third person perspective and large scale.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by Mannish
    This game is going to be huge. I just hope its buy to play with no montly fee and on all platforms with everybody playing together. About damn time somebody make a real FPSMMO becaue games like Planetside 2 and Defiance are complete jokes.

Concept art and you are claiming "its going to be huge" and the other games you dont like are a joke lol you are part of why I hate this site.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

They've already confirmed no subscription fee.  It will also not be free to play, confirmed.  It will have a definite cost to acquire, though price details weren't given.

They very clearly want to differentiate from MMO, and are adamant in the "shared world shooter" term.

If you don't understand what it means to have the full 300+ person strong Bungie team fully devoted to this game for already several years, then I think you will be blindsided when more information and footage is revealed.  Bungie was developing Destiny before they finished Reach.

It is far more than running and gunning across different parts of a battlefield.  The networking technology they developed for this will be staggering.  The UI will be breathtaking - did you know they won't have a main menu?

This is a game they decided they want to make and grow for the next ten years.  If that alone doesn't strike you as a very powerful reason to follow it, then you don't know Bungie and are clueless about Destiny.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

They've already confirmed no subscription fee.  It will also not be free to play, confirmed.  It will have a definite cost to acquire, though price details weren't given.

They very clearly want to differentiate from MMO, and are adamant in the "shared world shooter" term.

If you don't understand what it means to have the full 300+ person strong Bungie team fully devoted to this game for already several years, then I think you will be blindsided when more information and footage is revealed.  Bungie was developing Destiny before they finished Reach.

It is far more than running and gunning across different parts of a battlefield.  The networking technology they developed for this will be staggering.  The UI will be breathtaking - did you know they won't have a main menu?

This is a game they decided they want to make and grow for the next ten years.  If that alone doesn't strike you as a very powerful reason to follow it, then you don't know Bungie and are clueless about Destiny.

Well i am glad you got all that information from a trailer that hardly shows anything and what you read on the internet. You are right rest of us who are actually waiting for some more information before jumping on the hype train are just clueless..lol!

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Well i am glad you got all that information from a trailer that hardly shows anything and what you read on the internet. You are right rest of us who are actually waiting for some more information before jumping on the hype train are just clueless..lol!

Well, pretty much yeah.  I mean if a trailer that only shows art and character models is the only thing a person knows about a game, then it's fairly easy to guess they're clueless about the game.  There have been a few trailers, some intervies, community questions answered, articles in magazines, etc.  If a person knows the official information that's been released and talked about already, then they have those clues, and aren't clueless.

It makes sense.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    This game will sink, it's trying to grab two different crowds from two different platforms and it will be quite directly competing with a game that has a 10 year old universe behind it (Dust 514). Compared to that Universe the Bungie gunk that classes as lore seems... pathetic and to say this game will be huge is amusing, it might be the next Halo but it certainly will not be anything revolutionary or even worthwhile for someone who doesn't have a console or any intention of buying one.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    This game will sink, it's trying to grab two different crowds from two different platforms and it will be quite directly competing with a game that has a 10 year old universe behind it (Dust 514). Compared to that Universe the Bungie gunk that classes as lore seems... pathetic and to say this game will be huge is amusing, it might be the next Halo but it certainly will not be anything revolutionary or even worthwhile for someone who doesn't have a console or any intention of buying one.

Dust might have its lore. But Bungie has ALOT more experience desinging shooter games. they are not restricted to certains things Dust will be. Also bungie is already a known developer for the console market. CCP on the other hand???

Originally posted by Asheram

Concept art and you are claiming "its going to be huge" and the other games you dont like are a joke lol you are part of why I hate this site.

Most ignorance is always self inflicted. Videos of actual gameplay have been out for weeks.image

Even without the videos there is alot of information on what they are trying to achieve with Destiny but like always haters gonna hate.image

• BananaramaaBananaramaa Member Posts: 34

From what I understand it's some kind of lobby mmo hybrid with a facebook like system tagged on. That's really unappealing to me but the artwork is fucking stunning. I dislike halo but I've never seen a game with art like this. Gonna keep on eye on it.

And yeah, it does have the potential to be truly huge but it's a big dice roll as to whether it starts trending with people. More likely it will sell close to 8mil same as halo, maybe a little more.
    Originally posted by Dihoru

About the lore:

How much backstory and lore can we expect in Destiny?

Prior to joining the writing team on Destiny, Eric Raab painstakingly helped guide the Halo fiction as part of an external team at Tor Books. He has a wealth of experience curating deep volumes of fiction for other franchises and a stable of supremely talented authors, as well.  When we asked him your question, we expected a digital tome overflowing with carefully wrought prose. Instead, he wrote the following.

Generations worth.  Good luck uncovering it all.

Eric Raab, Managing Editor

The above was from the March Mail Sack

Also, to Bananaramaa - it isn't a lobby MMO at all.  In fact, they want an incredible, seamless experience.  That's why there isn't even a main menu, and why they are working so hard on the UI.  Players are matched seamlessly in a natural way without menus or requiring button presses.  It just happens.

Once again though, people would rather compare to something familiar than try to understand something new.  It's so common nowadays, any new MMO gets filled with people comparing it to MMOs they are familiar with.  They can't just take something for what it is, I guess it's too difficult or scary to do so?  Not really sure what the deal is, but it happens all the time.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Most pure console gamers don't even know what "MMO" is.  I have planty of friends who've never even thought about playing one.  From a marketing standpoint, there's really no reason to use the acronym for a console market.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

All a person has to do is start at the official site to find out what this game is going to be. Also who ever said this game would compete with something so irrelevent as Dusk 514 is totally clueless. 

http://www.destinythegame.com/

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by Asheram

Most ignorance is always self inflicted. Videos of actual gameplay have been out for weeks.image

Even without the videos there is alot of information on what they are trying to achieve with Destiny but like always haters gonna hate.image

Funny you should say "haters gonna hate" because I wasnt hating on the game I was actually commenting on you hating on 2 games that are already out and making lofty claims of how this game was going to do what the other 2 you were hating on didnt do-even though that is still yet to be seen because this game hasnt been released yet and sorry a few game play videos doesnt crown a achievement.

And if you listened to their gamespot interview videos they have already stated that you wont see hundreds of people in an area and that they are not making a mmo.